• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6P | OT | Its also the best Android Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
Just got my Pixel XL and loving it! Glad they gave me black instead of the white one that I thought I was going to get since I had the frost 6p.

vypek

Love having a Pixel. Feels like a big improvement. With about the same usage I used with the 6P I can go without charging my phone for over a day.

Rogan

Banned
My fingerprint scanner works for 50% now.

I occasionally get 'fingerprint hardware not available' error when trying to unlock.

This occurred after the 8.0 update. It's so frustrating that my phone is getting worse by the day.

Kevyt

Now officially on the 8.0 update. The phone is starting to show its age but I am really happy with this phone. Come November, it's going to be two years old. I was looking at a picture I took from November 15, 2015 on the day when I first got the phone.

Also, regarding battery usage:

D67CzHD.png

No complaints here :)

I can get a full day out of a charge with moderate usage (gaf, discord, reddit, emails, chrome, news, etc.) unless I decide to watch youtube with the speakers. I am going to cry when I have to finally get a new phone. The new pixels are too expensive and ugly.

Have either of you heard anything about your phones being shipped yet or any update? Did you have Assurant protect? I wonder if they are prioritising those over ones that were out of warranty?
Still not shipped. No Assurant.

I'm thinking what happened is they actually got more calls than they anticipated after the Pixel replacement news got online. It's like the Slickdeals effect.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member

I'm thinking what happened is they actually got more calls than they anticipated after the Pixel replacement news got online. It's like the Slickdeals effect.
That's awful and yeah I could see that happening. What date did you talk with a rep about getting a Pixel? I know the policy changed overnight and stopped honoring replacements 17th but I felt like you placed yours like a few days before they changed the internal policy. I would press the issue to at least get a response.

That's awful and yeah I could see that happening. What date did you talk with a rep about getting a Pixel? I know the policy changed overnight and stopped honoring replacements 17th but I felt like you placed yours like a few days before they changed the internal policy. I would press the issue to at least get a response.

I ordered on the 14th, still waiting for an order update. The order is still active, so is my credit card hold. Not too worried at the moment.

wowzors

I'll be getting a new Pixel XL on Friday after my Nexus 6P shit the bed, is it possible I will be able to trade this in towards a new Pixel 2 XL with the trade in program?

My original Nexus 6p died on me at 15% then at 23%. Before the warranty expired on it by a week I contacted Customer service and they replaced it for me. The replacement has not done this and it's been almost 10 months since I have had it(which is a little bit shorter than how much I had the original). The shitty part in all of this is that it's been confirmed that it's the battery that causes the premature shutdown of the device. People have already opened up their phones and replaced the battery and the problem completely went away. One lesson for me personally is that I am not ever going to buy a phone that was made by non western phone maker from now on. HTC is the only exception to this rule. I have been really considering switching to iPhone for my next phone.

I got Pixel XL today after giving up my 6P because of the battery issue.

I'm glad that I was able to get a replacement because I heard Google stopped doing RMAs for the 6P.

Omfg, not only did it die at 60% for the second time today (plus a random shutdown, as well), it did so while I was booking airline tickets! Fuck this phone.

dcll

Banned
i took a chance and bought a like new used 6p 64 and was shot down twice by google, oh well congrats to those who got it

Jintor

- straya
- bought from third party
- phone isn't technically bootlooping yet though the battery sucks

sigh. was really hoping to figure out a way to trade up.

Brand new S8 arrived today. Gorgeous phone.

Guess that's the end of my 6P journey, unless I can find somewhere to sell this piece of shit phone and make some cash off it before I kiss it goodbye.

tirminyl

Have either of you heard anything about your phones being shipped yet or any update? Did you have Assurant protect? I wonder if they are prioritising those over ones that were out of warranty?

I do not have Assurant protect.

I just contacted Google and should have mine by the next 48hrs.

Massa

Has anyone replaced the glass on this phone? Mine was severely scratched yesterday, I was surprised the screen survived even. Thinking of buying the parts on eBay to fix it.

faint.

I contacted support about my shipment and they informed me that there was a huge influx of calls the week I placed mine so they're not able to keep up with demand. You'll still get a replacement, but they don't have an ETA. I'm actually hoping it takes longer and I end up with a Pixel 2 or something.

_Isaac

Dang I thought I had escaped the battery issues. Really all of a sudden last week I started getting the early shutdowns. I just had it shut down when I was over 50%. It's really annoying.

Tried to RMA my 6P but was informed my phone only had a 90 day warranty (it was a refurbished replacement from about a year ago). Sucks.

My replacement finally shipped (and is possibly delivered).

Yesterday, my 6P shut down at 73%. I can't wait to have a usable phone again.

On another note, is anyone doing a trade in for the 2 XL with their replacement phones?

Tripon

I got a Nexus 6P replacement, I'll see what I can get it for it. If it cuts off half the price and I can pick up a new Pixel 2 XL for $400-500, I'll do it in a heartbeat, but I doubt it.

Is that even worth it? Getting only $400 bucks for trading in a brand new Pixel XL seems like not that great of a deal. Maybe next year for a Pixel 3, yeah.
That's what I'm trying to figure out, so I thought I would ask here. My concern is that by next year, it'll be worth significantly less for trade-in, since the 6P is worth shit now, so now might be the best time to make the deal, even if you do end up losing half its value right from the jump.

What's nice, though, is that since it's a replacement device, we never really paid its full value anyway, since the 6P was cheaper.

I got a Nexus 6P replacement, I'll see what I can get it for it. If it cuts off half the price and I can pick up a new Pixel 2 XL for $400-500, I'll do it in a heartbeat, but I doubt it.
The 128 GB Pixel XL is worth $410 in trade-in if it still works. So yeah, that is a significant discount right now.

What I really like about the trade-in program is that it works like their replacement program, where you order the new device and can still use your current device until the new one arrives, where then you send in your current device for a refund. That's way better than any other store's version, where you submit your current device first, and then you're fucked until the new one shows up.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Mine came, as well! High five!

I think I will trade up for Pixel 2 XL, though. Anyone else?

oh yeah, already have that going lol

we get $410 back.

How long until that $410 value drops, do you think?

I feel like I should probably wait until the prices of used 128GB Pixel XLs are at least that, or until the price of a Pixel 2 XL drops.

And even then, I'm actually not that hyped about the Pixel 2 to begin with...

How long until that $410 value drops, do you think?

I feel like I should probably wait until the prices of used 128GB Pixel XLs are at least that, or until the price of a Pixel 2 XL drops.

And even then, I'm actually not that hyped about the Pixel 2 to begin with...
Most likely it'll drop as soon as the Pixel XL's value drops, which I think will happen sooner than the 2 XL's will, unless it totally bombs.

Basically, outside of some promotions or something, $410 will probably be the maximum trade-in value for the XL.

As for the XL's price dropping that far, it probably isn't going to happen until next gen, at the earliest. That's like a 50% decrease. It'll be unlisted before it hits that price. I don't think even our precious 6P ever got that cheap.

I gotta say, I'm really liking the Pixel XL so far. I was using it all day without worrying about the battery, which was really nice. There was one moment, when the battery hit around 70%, that I was like oh shit, but then I realized that I actually have the full meter again.

But damn, does it look like an iPhone. Earlier, I was looking for it, and it was right in front of me, and I just glossed right over it, thinking it was my wife's iPhone. She calls it my new iPhone.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I gotta say, I'm really liking the Pixel XL so far. I was using it all day without worrying about the battery, which was really nice. There was one moment, when the battery hit around 70%, that I was like oh shit, but then I realized that I actually have the full meter again.

I know how you feel. I've gotten so accustomed to carrying around my extra battery pack with me, I keep surprising myself that I haven't used it at all yet.

My Nexus 6p still fairly strong after Huawei fixed the battery. It's almost a month to my phone's 2 year anniversary and I'm due am upgrade. I want a Note 8 or Pixel 2 Xl but I really don't see them each being valued so highly. I don't mind a change, seems like the LG V30 seems like a decent compromise but we'll see. I can easily see my Nexus 6p lasting an extra year.

Finally shipped out my 6P back to Google today. Man, I really liked this phone. The first phone that lasted me a full 2 years since my iPhone 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom