• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Available for preorder on the Google Play store.

• $199 for 8 GB storage, $249 for 16 GB storage

• Android 4.1 Jelly Bean preloaded when it ships mid-July

• 7-inch, 1280 by 800 screen (HD, 16:10, 216 PPI)

• Quad-core Tegra 3 CPU, 12-core GPU, 1 GB RAM

• 1.2-megapixel front-facing camera

• 4325 mAh battery, can play HD video for up to 9 hours

• Weighs only 340 grams

• Micro USB port, no SD slot

• NFC (Android Beam), GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, accelerometer, etc. included

• $25 Google Play credit included.

3Pu3EHP1QUr9oI-YdIPQE5BxWYVGZ_DzPwhReSX9XSBRckTHFrBr6PV8DDQIY7S8usk
p-eZmyce7_T2-_eOwltQxU6glPj6f53kDXvDvN8GPzRZXY4qe_pxHBdmXmtJeyRIZ8qA

Thinking of ordering.

For those who have used a 7" tablet, do you find it too small in general use? Reading PDFs, browsing the web etc.?

Maiar_m

Once again, available only North America + UK, but Europe gets to wait.
Interesting piece of slate though, given the price. It's definitely going to make the tablet market move a bit more for the general public.

dwebo

Thinking of ordering.

For those who have used a 7" tablet, do you find it too small in general use? Reading PDFs, browsing the web etc.?

I imagine the increased resolution helps, since most (all?) 7 inchers on the market now are 1024x600 vs. 1280x800 for this.

though, I'm curious too. between an iphone and an ipad I'm personally not really seeing a need for an in-between device. on the other hand, having a 7" and not needing anything smaller or larger would be nice (though obviously this doesn't take calls)

Jasoneyu

Looks interesting!

kinda curious if this will bring about more cheaper tablet market similar to this tablet and the kindle fire.

I imagine the increased resolution helps, since most (all?) 7 inchers on the market now are 1024x600 vs. 1280x800 for this.

though, I'm curious too. between an iphone and an ipad I'm personally not really seeing a need for an in-between device. on the other hand, having a 7" and not needing anything smaller or larger would be nice (though obviously this doesn't take calls)

I don't have an iPad but it struck me it was heavier than I expected. It didn't seem like it would be comfortable to hold in one hand and read for an extended period of time.

This however might be just the right size/weight.

Mangotron

Thinking of ordering.

I have a Nook Tablet with android on it (also 7"), it's perfectly fine for web, movies, games, and epub format books. It's a little cumbersome with PDF's since you have to zoom in and out slightly to see read something like a magazine. They work surprisingly well on picture-heavy content too, and this tablet is even faster then the Nook.

Overall I'd say it's fine, but you will have to make slight adjustments vs a 10".

edit: didn't notice the resolution difference, that might help too.

Shai-Tan

Banned
lack of SD kind of sucks and it looks like they are using the $199 tablet as a loss leader because a lot of people will want the $250 tablet to get 16gb but the news will all be about the $199

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I am most likely getting one. The no sd card slot is a let down though. I will have to go with the 16gb version.

Thinking of ordering.

laughably small. almost useless, especially if you have one of those bigger android phones, don't bother with this.

wow, what a trainwreck this tablet is. Not to mention fugly.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Pretty good deal. Though I think they should have given out some extra google drive space to mitigate the lack of SD storage.

sikkinixx

iPad is doomed. Surface dead before it even surfaces. yadda yadda.

Cool idea though. Good segment that is being under served by the Kindle Fire.

I could see Android ruling the developer space and the low-cost tablet space. I'm interested in this if only for the specs. With a portable case, it's essentially a portable game machine, and should be more than capable of handling any near-future system emulation (Maybe even Gamecube/Wii? A man can dream...)

This is pretty awesome, except for the small storage + no SD card. I'm curious as to how durable it is.

I might sell my HP TouchPad (with ICS) and buy this tablet. Everything's better about the Nexus except the size and storage, plus I can still get good money (about 170 dollars) from the TouchPad.

I'm just very glad that the cheap tablet market is being fulfilled.

Found out about this through Uncrate. I also spotted this:

google-nexus-q.jpg

Google Nexus Q
If you're an Android owner that's been looking with envy at the Apple TV, your device has arrived. The Google Nexus Q ($300) is Mountain View's answer to Apple's little black box, but isn't a total knock-off, either — it packs dual ARM Cortex-A9 CPUs, 16GB of storage, 1GB of RAM, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, a 25W amplifier with banana jack outputs, micro HDMI and optical audio outputs, Ethernet, a Micro USB port for service and support, and Android 4.0, all into a crazy, orb-shaped body that sports 32 LEDs that bounce to the beat of whatever you're playing. The craziest part? It's interface-less — just fire up Google Play or YouTube on your device and go.

Pre-ordered.
I can't wait, I always wanted a tablet but thought the ones I was interested in (i.e. iPad and Asus tablets) were two big; this is perfect, a smallish Asus tablet with the Google seal of approval.

Maiar_m

8gb? Criminal

Depends on why you need to use a tablet. 8GB is enough for apps and browsing, as well as for streaming of course. If I need to listen to some music I stream it or, even and always better, I use a dedicated piece of hardware. I see how it can be short for HD movies and for travellers, don't get me wrong, but then again, it depends on why you're getting this 200$ slate for.

As a coffee table / bed-time browsing tool, I'm pretty fine with 8GB.

Emily Chu

Banned
Wondering about the 7" form factor

I already have a 4.65" galaxy nexus and if I had a GNote there's even less reasons to buy one.

I've seen other 7" tablets and there not all that bigger then my GNex screen

But 199$ - 249$ is just tempting

massoluk

Banned
It's really too bad that there is no SD card support alright. It's tempting, but no SD card support is a deal breaker for me. Still, the best valued tablet ever from the look of it right now. Nook and Kindle Fire are fucked.

rpmurphy

Pretty nice for a 7-inch tablet for that price. I only wish there was a 10-inch version with SD card slot and HDMI-out.

reKon

Banned
This is pretty awesome, except for the small storage + no SD card. I'm curious as to how durable it is.

I might sell my HP TouchPad (with ICS) and buy this tablet. Everything's better about the Nexus except the size and storage, plus I can still get good money (about 170 dollars) from the TouchPad.

I'm just very glad that the cheap tablet market is being fulfilled.

I might do this also...

I have the 16 gig version..

Is $170 what they are going for now a days?

krae_man

Canadian prices are $209/$259.

Wish it had a SD card slot. Would love to be able to upload vacation photos from my camera while on vacation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pretty nice for a 7-inch tablet for that price. I only wish there was a 10-inch version with SD card slot and HDMI-out.

Yeah, I agree, They could price that at $300 and it would be fine. But then we'd have the "Outdated iPad only costs $100 more!" crowd yammering.

From the play store:

At the keynote they said 9 hours. 8 hours is probably a more modest assessment. Still, pretty killer battery life. Better than any device I own actually, except maybe my DS Lite.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeah, I agree, They could price that at $300 and it would be fine. But then we'd have the "Outdated iPad only costs $100 more!" crowd yammering.

At the keynote they said 9 hours. 8 hours is probably a more modest assessment. Still, pretty killer battery life. Better than any device I own actually, except maybe my DS Lite.
No they couldn't not with these 7 inch prices. 250 for a 7 inch and 300 for a 10 inch that has an sd card slot and hdmi out. Doesn't add up.

reKon

Banned
8gb? Criminal

Google Music + Dropbox/Box/Google Drive have your back

It's not as great I know, but dropbox + google music has worked great for me.

I wish that the $199 version was at least 16 gigs though because this is a device that is made for a lot of content including apps. You need the space to be able to play those 500 mb+ gameloft games!

Salsa

It's funny cause the only thing i'd want a 10" tablet for is being able to read full-page comics without needing to zoom/swipe much.

It's more than half the reason i'd get a tablet in the first place though.. so it still bums me out.

Top Bottom