• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Any suggestions for a good podcast app?

I don't have a Nexus 7 yet but I recommend Doggcatcher. BeyondPod is also great from what I've seen of the trial version. BeyondPOD (about $7) is more expensive than Doggcatcher (about $5) though.

MyPOD is a free alternative but it has a difficult UI (and you should check out if it scales well to the Nexus 7 screen) and you only get to subscribe up to 10 podcasts on the locked version. It gets the job done though if you only want to subcribe to a few podcasts for free.

nemesun

XCDvT.png

Bloody hell, I preordered it on July 1st and they "Supposedly" shipped it last Friday. Bugger off Google.

SuperPac

My biggest disappointment with the Nexus 7 so far has nothing to do with the device itself, but more to do with the selection of non-game apps (or lack thereof). They're just not very good. Google's own stuff is great, REALLY great, but almost anytime I've had to find an Android equivalent of something I use on iOS I have been very disappointed with the options.

Yes there are Twitter clients, but nothing comes close to Tweetbot.
Yes there are RSS readers but none that I like as much as I like Reeder.

The versions of 1Password, IMDB, Flipboard, and others that I use regularly on iOS are pale imitations. Even the best third-party widgets available, the bits and pieces exclusive on Android and should be great, just look thrown together. I haven't found an app so far where I'm like "this is better on Android" except Google's apps. That's the device's biggest flaw.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
My biggest disappointment with the Nexus 7 so far has nothing to do with the device itself, but more to do with the selection of non-game apps (or lack thereof). They're just not very good. Google's own stuff is great, REALLY great, but almost anytime I've had to find an Android equivalent of something I use on iOS I have been very disappointed with the options.

The versions of 1Password, IMDB, Flipboard, and others that I use regularly on iOS are pale imitations. Even the best third-party widgets available, the bits and pieces exclusive on Android and should be great, just look thrown together. I haven't found an app so far where I'm like "this is better on Android" except Google's apps. That's the device's biggest flaw.
Exactly my sentiments.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is there any reason why some apps don't work at all right now? Both Boid and Tweet Lanes aren't compatible.

Ydahs

Tablet just arrived (Melbourne, Australia)

:D

Actually happy with how Google handled this for me personally, considering I received mine in Australia before others in the US. Their customer service is still a joke though.

To those that didn't get their Nexus yet: It's worth the wait. Don't give up!

I've been a die-hard iOS fan since my 3G but hot damn Jelly bean is nice. I mean my biggest complaint has always been the "janky"/sluggish feeling when navigating through every android phone in the office. (we have a bunch of test devices).

But damn, this is as smooth as an androids bottom...

I'm disappointed that there's no HBO Go for the Nexus.

VanWinkle

I haven't owned an iOS device in a while, but you explain how IMDB and Flipboard are pale imitations on Android compared to iOS? I just got a Galaxy S3 and I've really been enjoying both of those apps.

SuperPac

I haven't owned an iOS device in a while, but you explain how IMDB and Flipboard are pale imitations on Android compared to iOS? I just got a Galaxy S3 and I've really been enjoying both of those apps.

IMDB recently updated their iOS app with easier navigation (especially for TV shows with multiple seasons) and though it's a small thing, it's a feature I really like. I'm not terribly fond of the white text on gray background, either. And Flipboard on the N7 is the phone version and not tablet optimized, so the fonts are huge. You can change the font setting but then the in-app fonts are tiny and you still get the "mobile" view of most websites otherwise and those fonts are still big and it's just not great.

Mairu

Sounds like Android :-/

Hopefully the Nexus 7 is popular enough so that Android gets some real competitors in terms of apps that aren't from Google

Yeah try gReader. Probably the best. Don't know how it compares to iOS though. Try Plume as a Twitter client too.

What's wrong with just using Google Reader?

Works great for me...although I wish the nexus 7 used the tablet version like it does for GMail...

Finally got Six axis support up and running on this bad boy and it is glorious. Mame runs like a charm too

Oh walk me through it won't you please...

Cipherr

Tried Plume, and I really didn't like it (had more to do with the layout, fonts, color scheme etc. than anything). Looking forward to trying Carbon - http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/15/3159159/carbon-twitter-android-app-availability-july-free

Or right! Carbon is coming out soon. Can't wait.

Ill probably be getting Carbon also. My issue though is the transitions are to heavy. I hope you can speed them up or tone them down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcloiEZa1iI&feature=player_embedded

Its still fantastic though, and Holo themed so it meshes well with ICS/JB too. Very very nice.

Phoenix

Its going to be that way for another 12 months or so. Good stuff is in the pipeline, but the developers are really waiting for monetization to take place before investing the time (again). Lots of people hopped in early and were burned BADLY and they've gone back to iOS and haven't really looked back again. You're waiting for that second wave of developers to put their toe in the water.

Its going to be that way for another 12 months or so. Good stuff is in the pipeline, but the developers are really waiting for monetization to take place before investing the time (again). Lots of people hopped in early and were burned BADLY and they've gone back to iOS and haven't really looked back again. You're waiting for that second wave of developers to put their toe in the water.

It's all about the install base. You can have the best, most powerful device in the universe. If 5 peoples own it a company isn't likely to invest the resources required to develop for it.

Cipherr

It's all about the install base. You can have the best, most powerful device in the universe. If 5 peoples own it a company isn't likely to invest the resources required to develop for it.

I would say its a bit of both. Userbase will definitely be a factor, and with the reports of how this thing are going, that should be a nice gain for them. But theres definitely still the monetization factor. Person works on something....then that person gets paid. Makes the world go round, they need to fix that.

Phoenix

That isn't the current problem. There are 10s of millions of Android devices in the marketplace (and over 10 million GS3s in the world sold-through at this very moment). According to Google there are currently over 100m Android devices installed-base/sold worldwide - and they can all run most of the apps that are selling for cold hard currency on the iOS platform.

The problem is that people don't buy content on the Android platform. Its always been that way. A lot of it has to do with piracy unfortunately - sad but very true in Android marketplace.

Cartman86

Banned
What's wrong with just using Google Reader?

Works great for me...although I wish the nexus 7 used the tablet version like it does for GMail...

Oh walk me through it won't you please...

You answered what was wrong with using Google Reader. GReader is formated for tablets and phones. So it has panes like Gmail. It looks like this. You can do white of course too, but I like the black. Easier on the eyes (and battery I would assume)

SuperPac

You answered what was wrong with using Google Reader. GReader is formated for tablets and phones. So it has panes like Gmail.

The unfortunate thing so far with gReader, and maybe I'm just missing a setting, is when you click on a link to read the story in a web view you can't pinch or double-tap to zoom and at least on the N7 it doesn't put the whole page width in its window. I saw you can change the user agent to desktop instead of mobile, but that doesn't fix the issue.

Cartman86

Banned
The unfortunate thing so far with gReader, and maybe I'm just missing a setting, is when you click on a link to read the story in a web view you can't pinch or double-tap to zoom and at least on the N7 it doesn't put the whole page width in its window. I saw you can change the user agent to desktop instead of mobile, but that doesn't fix the issue.

If your talking about this little web window I was able to pintch to zoom in and out when it wasn't a mobile site (which is what most browsers do) Then of course there is the globe up top that just opens it in the your default browser. You're right about the the page width though. Plus it is kind of a laggy browser. Seems to be there for quick access I guess.

1R2Ln.png
I like screen caps

Yeah try gReader. Probably the best. Don't know how it compares to iOS though. Try Plume as a Twitter client too.

plume and greader are both terrible apps by iOS standards (i.e. compared to stuff like tweetbot and reeder). the simple fact is that the quality of android apps is nowhere near the level of iOS.

i prefer android to iOS in almost every respect except the app situation, which is a really big deal. as in, i carry an ipod touch around with my (awesome) android phone to bridge the gap. yes you can get the same functionality from android apps but there's just nothing like the attention to detail and design shown in the best iOS software.

so, to the guy who posted initially, no you're not somehow missing an amazing tweetbot equivalent! it just doesn't exist.

i'm quietly confident for the upcoming carbon, though.

SuperPac

If your talking about this little web window I was able to pintch to zoom in and out when it wasn't a mobile site (which is what most browsers do) Then of course there is the globe up top that just opens it in the your default browser. You're right about the the page width though. Plus it is kind of a laggy browser. Seems to be there for quick access I guess.

Yeah you can pinch to zoom in but half the time it's not enough to frame the article correctly - you can't zoom all the way out and it's laggy to the point of being unusable.

Cartman86

Banned
FEEDLY MUTHAFUCKERS!

Among one of the best readers I have ever used. DO IT. NOW. RIGHT NOW. YES, THIS INSTANT,

Just tried Feedly, and while it's visually nice when I do feed reading I like to get a bunch of stuff on screen at once. The Reader web site has made me a speed reading machine. More interested in getting to 0 than having a good time reading :( Which is why I'm not entirely fond of Flipboard either.

With that said Reader HD seems to be pretty decent if anyone wants something that is basically Google Reader, but made to have two panes like tablet Gmail. It probably lacks a couple features that GReader has, but it's faster and cleaner looking. EDIT: It actually has a "magazine" mode where it looks kind of fancy.

So yeah why wont GAF load on the Nexus 7 now?

Interesting. I just got the shipping update from Google. I wonder if that means they haven't actually cancelled it after all...

I'm not going to be happy if they send me another one!

I don't know a single person with an Android device that pays for apps. They just google the name.apk and copy it. Combine that with a dev not having a fixed hardware spec to make an optimized app for and you understand why they aren't coming in droves. It's not market share that's the problem.

Wait 12 months sounds suspiciously like the Wait for X year of the PS3 blackboard meme.

What site are you trying to access? It's suppose to automatically fit text to screen.

Top Bottom