• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 |OT| Google's $199 7-inch tablet by Asus

Husker86

Got the tablet in hand yesterday, everything was going great but then I learned a lot about Android. Like how a lot of apps in the marketplace just straight up don't work. Game Dev Story works if you get the trial version but the full version won't even load. And Grand Prix Story is a visual mess, but I can't refund it so I'm stuck with it.

At least the Osmos tablet version I got from a Humble Bundle works, it never worked on the Kindle Fire.

Oh well, it couldn't be too perfect. At $200 there has to be a catch. I just wouldn't have guessed that the catch would be how many apps on the play store are so poorly maintained. Makes me feel happy when I go back to my WP7 where everything just works (tm).
But everything isn't much on WP7.

Emily Chu

Banned
I was getting downright depressed, the left side of my 7's screen was becoming very loose and creeky from the silver lining.

Was going to exhanged it at my gamestop they told me they only had enough for preorders
I visited Ifixit and saw that there were some screws inside where the loose side of the screen was. could that be the problem ?

they had this 2.99$ opener thingy but I was like hmm fuck that just carefully gentlely nudged the backside with my fingernails and lo and behold....
tighten up the screws a bit all around NO MORE CREEKY SHITTY LOOSE SCREEN ON THE LEFT SIDE!!!! tight as a button
wtf asus and google and china.......

XQ5nD.jpg

OMG.... back cover was just a shell..... zero internals
I also liked how there was no "this may void your warranty" shit stickers that connected the two shells together....
now if there was a way to hack a mirco sd card slot and rear camera in there.... hmm...... the plot thickens.....
hell there even seems to be a slot for a rear camera for fuck sakes....

2cT4G.jpg

good as new and right as rain : D

oh and I consider the battery user replaceable now :p

coughlanio

Will be picking mine up in store tomorrow evening, can't wait. Just loaded JB onto my SGS3 and it runs like butter. Their new rendering engine is insane...

SuperPac

Uhh... the article is comparing units sold to the OG iPad (when the market wasn't even established and skepticism of tablets still existed). The OG iPad launch wasn't too impressive and sales didn't take off for a few months.

Also, come on -

"The latest sales figures from a couple of resellers I called just now show, that the Nexus 7 surpassed the 500,000 on its first day in stocks."

Sounds like these sources/numbers are tenuous at best.

Argyle

Coming from my Bionic, I had a he'll of a time figuring out how to get to the settings on the device. So used to hitting the menu button, but this thing doesn't have one. I swear took me 10mins to realize you need to open the settings app.

You can get to the settings quickly by pulling down the notification bar and pressing the button dead center, top of the screen that looks like three sliders (it is next to the rotation lock button if that helps).

The dismiss all notifications button is in the upper right, I had to press that one once to figure out what it did...

BFIB

Wow Emily, great post. How difficult was it to remove the back?

Over on XDA there are numerous posts about the creaky sound from the left side, as well as severe light bleed. Luckily I have none of these issues, but it seems there are a decent amount of faulty units on the first batch.

Cheebo

Banned

Hieberrr

My N7 is still in the states. Was shipped yesterday from Louisville, KY, made its way to Lexington, KY, and now it's in Cincinnati, OH. Looks like I'll get it on Friday (4 days after).

DagsJT

Had a tip on XDA that there was stock at a store near me. Managed to nab one and have sent Google an email telling them to cancel my order immediately.

First impressions are that it's very well built, feels very solid. The back feels great to hold, no creaking or anything, text looks superb and really sharp, just feels very quick in general.

I'll root it when I get home, maybe install the latest Modaco rom and go from there.

kazinova

But everything isn't much on WP7.

Oh, the WP7 marketplace is super limited, but feels more like the iOS store in that everything pretty much works if it's there. With the Nexus 7 for me there's this chicken or egg problem of I want to buy the app but if I can't trust that it'll work I don't want to put down money on it. So I'm paralyzed into not buying stuff or sideloading from a friends' phone to see if it works.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Oh, the WP7 marketplace is super limited, but feels more like the iOS store in that everything pretty much works if it's there. With the Nexus 7 for me there's this chicken or egg problem of I want to buy the app but if I can't trust that it'll work I don't want to put down money on it. So I'm paralyzed into not buying stuff or sideloading from a friends' phone to see if it works.

You can refund apps 15 minutes after you buy them.

kazinova

Had a tip on XDA that there was stock at a store near me. Managed to nab one and have sent Google an email telling them to cancel my order immediately.

First impressions are that it's very well built, feels very solid. The back feels great to hold, no creaking or anything, text looks superb and really sharp, just feels very quick in general.

I'll root it when I get home, maybe install the latest Modaco rom and go from there.

Why do people want to root the N7? Isn't it stock 4.1 already?

Salaadin

Now I feel kinda guilty for not preordering and getting it in store before almost everyone else.

Not your fault that google is dumb :p

Ive seen certain things like an app that lets you connect PS3 controllers to the tablet requiring root....little stuff like that.

Theres also people who would rather root/unlock now before they start downlading everything so they dont have to worry about wiping it all and re-doing it later.

If you're bored.... fire up voice search and tell your N7 to do a barrel roll.

Extra bonus: If you register a new prepaid card on Doodle Wallet, you get 10 dollars. Even if you have redeemed this once before on your phone.

still waiting for mine, uk. got an email in the wee hours about the extreme demand from google and orders through 30/06 would ship by 20/07. so lame.

16g ordered 29/06.

reading about ppl getting their units ordered in july kind of pissing me off. does google use a random number generator to decide whose unit gets dispatched?

Husker86

I can understand that though. WP7 is very new and its apps are targeting 1 generation of phones (even the new generation used the same/similar SoCs, right?). There hasn't been any differentiation that Android has gone through yet.

Though I will preemptively agree that WP won't get all the way to the point that Android has since MS has stricter rules on hardware; the developers will always have less hardware to account for than Android. However, maintenance of apps isn't needed on WP yet because there isn't anything to change in them. They are all still new.

/end N7DF

Custom ROMs add a lot of things for people that want deeper tweakage, even if it is still the same base OS.

bob page

16GB IN STOCK at J&R in NYC!

Just stopped by on a whim and they have about 10 left. 5 other guys showed up at the same time as me.

OK, sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I'm a little confused:

How can I unlink my Google account from the Nexus? Reason being, other people in my household want to use the tablet. But I don't want all of their Chrome & Gmail activity syncing with my account.

Is there a way I can log out and simply log back into Gmail, etc?

DarkFlow

Banned
Yeah, I'm holding off buying a case for now. The backing is so nice that I don't even really need one right away.

Presumably, Google and ASUS will release a Smart Cover ripoff, since it already has built-in magnet detectors. I'm sure that will get Apple lawyers frothing at the mouth.
Too bad palm did it first, but that's never stopped apple before.

I was getting downright depressed, the left side of my 7's screen was becoming very loose and creeky from the silver lining.

Was going to exhanged it at my gamestop they told me they only had enough for preorders
I visited Ifixit and saw that there were some screws inside where the loose side of the screen was. could that be the problem ?

they had this 2.99$ opener thingy but I was like hmm fuck that just carefully gentlely nudged the backside with my fingernails and lo and behold....
tighten up the screws a bit all around NO MORE CREEKY SHITTY LOOSE SCREEN ON THE LEFT SIDE!!!! tight as a button

XQ5nD.jpg

I also liked how there was no "this may void your warranty" shit stickers that connected the two shells together....
now if there was a way to hack a mirco sd card slot and rear camera in there.... hmm...... the plot thickens.....

2cT4G.jpg

I can also confirm this works. Just saved me a lot of heartache and pain. It really isn't that hard to do either, just fine that tool and get it done.

Thanks a lot for even pointing this out as well

XQ5nD.jpg

2cT4G.jpg

No kidding... Guess I'll be seeing if I can't get it open later on tonight so I can tighten that screen up

Top Bottom