• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 6 |OT| Fulfill Your Destiny

Gigglepoo

Doesn't the NFLPA have to agree to any rule changes as well? I don't see any sort of "stand for the anthem" rule actually being adopted, but that doesn't mean owners won't enforce it unofficially by suspending players who don't.

The owners will be powerless if the league's biggest stars kneel during the anthem. No matter what the owners think, it's still a player's league. No one gives a shit about the Colts now because Luck is injured. Just see what happens to ratings if Rodgers, Dak, Ryan, and Cam are all suspended.

The owners will be powerless if the league's biggest stars kneel during the anthem. No matter what the owners think, it's still a player's league. No one gives a shit about the Colts now because Luck is injured. Just see what happens to ratings if Rodgers, Dak, Ryan, and Cam are all suspended.

The biggest stars will toe the line. This is where the NFL spending years punishing individuals for trying to stand out will pay off. The only real recognizable stars that people give a shit about are wholesome (mostly white) QBs.

The NFLPA couldn't get the leagues biggest stars to help the players on the bottom during the last contract, no way are those guys doing something for a bunch of strangers.

Vixdean

PFF says the Panthers have the second best o-line in the league. I feel bad for the other 30 teams if that's really true. Any perceived improvement in our line probably has more to do with Cam getting the ball out quicker.

mreddie

This thing pissed me off, I dunno what to say, do I stick with the sport or just not?

It feels like I'm too invested to walk away willy dilly.

Maybe right now, all I hope is Philly just stick it to Jerry's team.

God, I wish the AZ teams were good so I can hop on easily. Ugh.

Since the NFL is demanding that players stand for the anthem, the players should turn their backs towards the flag. I wonder how that would go over.

MechDX

Graham Barfield ✔@GrahamBarfield
Deshaun Watson has thrown a TD 8.3% of passes, most in the league. #Browns have allowed a TD pass on 7.1% of attempts, most in the league.
11:57 AM - Oct 10, 2017

Hhhmmmm

DLnsOzHWsAAImaL

https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/917023741120565248

Pepiope

Aaron Kasinitz‏Verified account
@AaronKazreports

Ronald Darby walked into a training room at NovaCare Complex without a limp or a noticeable brace or anything on his ankle.

Tebow is real.

You would talk during the anthem? You monster!

We learned from the best when we were growing up

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2012/apr/04/50-stunning-olympic-moments-daley-thompson

The charge sheet, to some of those who covered the sport, was long – when he won gold at the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton he refused to attend the traditional winners’ press conference, preferring to have dinner with his “auntie” Doreen Rayment, a family friend who had been his landlady, guardian, chauffeur and sponsor since his mother had told him four years earlier to find employment or leave home. In 1982, the year he broke the world record twice and was European and Commonwealth champion, he was castigated for refusing to carry the England team’s flag at the opening ceremony in Brisbane.

There were rumours, too, that he occasionally told autograph hunters to get stuffed if he was preoccupied with training. When he won the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year award at the end of that year and was given the trophy by Sir Garfield Sobers, he turned up in his usual tracksuit and said “I feel like shit” when he began his acceptance speech. Twenty years later no one would have been shocked but in 1982, swearing on prime time Sunday night television, particularly on a programme as prim as the Sports Personality of the Year, was genuinely incendiary. But if his behaviour that night was seen as boorish and contemptuous, it was relatively piddling compared with the outrage he caused after winning his second Olympic gold medal in Los Angeles in 1984 would provoke.

His performances in the Coliseum over two days were exemplary but what happened during the two hours after his victory was confirmed dominated the coverage. To begin with he whistled the national anthem as the Union Flag was hoisted after he was given his gold medal. Four years earlier he had demonstrated similar insouciance but his conduct in Los Angeles divided opinion between those who thought him cheeky and others who accused him of sacrilege.

Thompson went on to explain his euphoria to US viewers, saying: “I haven’t been this happy since my granny caught her tit in a mangle.” When it was the turn of the British reporters, he was asked what Princess Anne, who had greeted him on the track after his victory, had said to him. “She said I’m a damn good looking guy,” Thompson replied. “That’s a joke,” he added with a wink. He spoke about wanting to have children, which prompted a double question of whether he had anyone in mind to be the babies’ mother and to elaborate on what the Princess had said to him. “You’ve just mentioned the lady,” he said. “And the answer to the second question is she said: “I hope they’ll be white.’”

https://youtu.be/vPhhuQLHGWA?t=2m56s

Sulik2

Has anyone ever seen a good tape breakdown of why the Lions offense is so much better at the end of games then during the rest of the game? It really is baffling how game after game they go from bumbling idiots to unstoppable in the last 3 minutes.

Zeke

What a shitty season fucking all of it and fuck jerry for this bullshit rule he wants. I wish players would all say fuck it and take a knee consequences be damned. In other news I went to a renaissance festival this weekend corsets and boobs as far as the eye can see I tells ya.

As much as I hate the idea of giving up on the anthem protests, if the league truly is prepared to put real effort into giving players a platform about social injustice then i’ll at least give it a shot. Clearly, this anthem divide is getting absolutely fucking nowhere. And while it’s depressing and straight up wrong, the purpose was to make change happen. If this helps push everything in that direction then it’s ultimately for the best.

I have my doubts obviously, but beating a dead horse isn’t going to get anybody anywhere. Progress is made in small steps unfortunately, expecting better in a society of hundreds of millions is foolish.

Edit - that being said, making it a hard rule to stand is ridiculous and I hope it becomes more of an “agreement” in exchange for a dedicated, unignorable social platform, not a fineable/fireable offense.

cdyhybrid

As much as I hate the idea of giving up on the anthem protests, if the league truly is prepared to put real effort into giving players a platform about social injustice then i’ll at least give it a shot. Clearly, this anthem divide is getting absolutely fucking nowhere. And while it’s depressing and straight up wrong, the purpose was to make change happen. If this helps push everything in that direction then it’s ultimately for the best.

I have my doubts obviously, but beating a dead horse isn’t going to get anybody anywhere. Progress is made in small steps unfortunately, expecting better in a society of hundreds of millions is foolish.

Edit - that being said, making it a hard rule to stand is ridiculous and I hope it becomes more of an “agreement” in exchange for a dedicated, unignorable social platform, not a fineable/fireable offense.
Spoilers: They're not

Pepiope

What a shitty season fucking all of it and fuck jerry for this bullshit rule he wants. I wish players would all say fuck it and take a knee consequences be damned. In other news I went to a renaissance festival this weekend corsets and boobs as far as the eye can see I tells ya.
You shouldn't support Jerry Jones nor his team. You'd be welcomed on the Wentz wagon.

Bread

Banned
Rick and the Texans front office shaking up the roster today. Lots of moves being made.

Something is afoot
i wonder if these moves have anything to do with the two players lost for the season sunday

very interesting, something weird is going on there

yuraya

Jags jumped from 24 to 12 in ESPN rankings this week after beating the Steelers. and Steelers still rank higher. That ESPN math.

Jags better jump from 12 to 1 after they beat the rams this week.

Life is often about compromise.

The JCBs are wise and follow these rules because it is foolish to fight nature.

Nothing is perfect but the NBA remains and will continue to be the official sport of the bois. Greg Pop remains our official spokesperson.

Brady and Billy are probably the reps for the NFL...

I'm still trying to figure out what "JBC" means.

It would be great if the NFLPA actually did show solidarity but $$$

Gigglepoo

Maybe I missed it but any word on what pick the cards gave up? This is important info in deciding if I am pissed or not.

A "conditional pick." That probably translates to a 6th or 7th. And, yes, you should be pissed given that AP is an even worse human being that a football player (and he's a bad football player).

Top Bottom