• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2018 |OT| Can we average a page/commercial?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Shocking that they did this midseason (even though the Packer's season is essentially over). Wonder if they're doing it to placate Rodgers? That team looks in total disarray right now.

I think it was one of those “better to do it now and advertise we are looking for a new coach, than waiting and risking missing out on a great hire”.

I’m hoping the market will be hot for us. One of the Harbaugh brothers would be nice.

greyshark

I think it was one of those “better to do it now and advertise we are looking for a new coach, than waiting and risking missing out on a great hire”.

I’m hoping the market will be hot for us. One of the Harbaugh brothers would be nice.

I’m sure that won’t be an issue - getting a chance to coach Rodgers should have folks lining up.

greyshark

Holy crap at the patriots losing in the final play. AFC playoff picture is wide open now with the losses over the past couple weeks by the leaders.

greyshark

Dominant game from start to finish by this Bears defense - what a bounce back after the Giants game. This team can compete with anyone in the league - go Bears!

Man, the Bengals are below the Browns. The Browns! What a clusterfuck, get Marvin's ass outta there. Thanks for the memories, but it's time to say goodbye.

It's like Arsene Wenger at Arsenal except worse, because Marvin never won anything, not even a damned playoff game.

Catphish

It's so awesome to see the Bears finally winning. So many disappointing seasons. And it looked like we were off to another one with the way we lost to GB in the season opener.

What a turnaround. 9-4, and coming off a victory over arguably the best team in the NFL, allowing ZERO TDs.

Amazing. 👍

TrainedRage

Banned
Skol Vikings, let's win this game,
Skol Vikings, honor your name,
Go get that first down, Then get a touchdown.
Rock 'em . . .Sock em Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Go Vikings, run up the score,
You'll hear us yell for more. . .
V-I-K-I-N-G-S Skol Vikings, let's go!

...SKOL

TrainedRage

Banned
Dude throw the ball down the field, your RB is not gonna catch the ball 5 times in a row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lzsidhujfgbPISUDfgbIWSUDFGBilwsdujFGBLAISUDGHF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greyshark

I’ve never been a believer in Cousins as a top 5 QB. He turns the ball over too often to rely on him to win a championship.

greyshark

Across the league we’re seeing a rise in teams that have some tough defenses - will be interesting to see how teams like the Rams and Saints do in the playoffs.

All the buzz around Broncos Country right now is that Bears Defensive Coordinator, Vic Fangio, is expected to be officially announced as new Broncos head coach tomorrow morning.

Sounds like Elway interviewed Fangio, Fangio then cancelled his interview in Miami, and they were just spotted having dinner downtown.

I like him. He’s done great work at Stanford, San Francisco, and Chicago.

It sounds like a big part factor for Elway was finding someone who wanted to work with Kubiak.

steelers should trade AB

Trading a 30 year old, All-Pro, huge contract WR is not as easy as it seems, thought team like San Francisco easily has the cap room and the need for him.

Crazy how many talented WRs the Steelers draft recently. Emmanuel Sanders, JuJu, the dude who’s always suspended but is really talented (can’t remember his name right now). I like James Washington too.

Last edited:

greyshark

And so it begins for Chicago. Really heartbreaking for the season to end so soon - I’m still hoping against all odds he decides to stay. For what it’s worth it’s being reported Miami never even scheduled him for an interview:

Thoughts on Munchak if Elway picks him instead?

He at least had one winning season as head coach of the Titans. I do like going with a guy who has HC experience. I mean, obviously his 3 years with the Titans weren’t great but if Hue Jackson is still a HC candidate after his time with the Browns then Munchak looks rosy.

In fairness to Munchak, his years in Tennessee were Old Man Hasselbeck/Draft Bust Jake Locker years at QB. Not that Keenum is much better....

I’d probably prefer Fangio, though Munchak has that “I was a stud player in the NFL” appeal that I think resonates with players.

The Denver job isn’t what it used to be. Our ownership situation is very ugly and dramatic, almost to an unprecedented level, and this Keenum offense just looked awful cast majority of year.

So basically, I’ll take what I can get. They are both at least decent candidates.

EDIT

From what I understand Mike McCarthy declined even interviewing with us. That shows how this job is viewed by some people around the league.

Last edited:

greyshark

He at least had one winning season as head coach of the Titans. I do like going with a guy who has HC experience. I mean, obviously his 3 years with the Titans weren’t great but if Hue Jackson is still a HC candidate after his time with the Browns then Munchak looks rosy.

In fairness to Munchak, his years in Tennessee were Old Man Hasselbeck/Draft Bust Jake Locker years at QB. Not that Keenum is much better....

I’d probably prefer Fangio, though Munchak has that “I was a stud player in the NFL” appeal that I think resonates with players.

The Denver job isn’t what it used to be. Our ownership situation is very ugly and dramatic, almost to an unprecedented level, and this Keenum offense just looked awful cast majority of year.

So basically, I’ll take what I can get. They are both at least decent candidates.

I love Fangio - he took over the worst defense in the NFL and turned them into a dominant force. But he is 60 years old - I wonder how well he’d do as a first time coach starting over with a new team.

Bruce Arians is probably the ideal result - and while he had a couple of very successful years the Cardinals are a mess after his departure. How long was he with them, 4 years?

Yes I’m trying to talk myself into keeping Fangio with the Bears.

Crazy how many talented WRs the Steelers draft recently. Emmanuel Sanders, JuJu, the dude who’s always suspended but is really talented (can’t remember his name right now). I like James Washington too.

I'm assuming you mean Martavis Bryant? And if you go back a bit further, Mike Wallace and Santonio Holmes too, who were productive for the Steelers then lost their luster when they left Pittsburgh.

And also, may God have mercy on my soul because if the Bengals choose to make HueHueHueHue Jackson the new HC, I will probably go commit a crime of passion.

I'm assuming you mean Martavis Bryant? And if you go back a bit further, Mike Wallace and Santonio Holmes too, who were productive for the Steelers then lost their luster when they left Pittsburgh.

Plaxico Burress as well, that’s a little further back.

I forgot Bryant’s name.

They tend to hit on drafted WRs

Plaxico Burress as well, that’s a little further back.

I forgot Bryant’s name.

They tend to hit on drafted WRs

I got back into the NFL around 05, which is why I'm a Bengals fan. Little did I know how much that decision would haunt me. Anyway, I remember Plaxico in his Giants days--was he a big hit as a Steeler?

And let's not forget the best one (and the most hated one as a Bengals fan), Hines Ward.

Last edited:
I got back into the NFL around 05, which is why I'm a Bengals fan. Little did I know how much that decision would haunt me. Anyway, I remember Plaxico in his Giants days--was he a big hit as a Steeler?

And let's not forget the best one (and the most hated one as a Bengals fan), Hines Ward.

Love me Hines Ward. Hellacious blocker for a WR. Punished people.

Yeah Plaxico had his two best seasons, yardage wise, in Pitt. Had his best seasons, touchdowns wise, in NYG with Eli

Going into the season, I though that if they could mask over a bad o-line, the Bengals had a shot at overtaking Baltimore for no.2 in the north with a striking chance at no.1.

Now, I'm in the position where I'm concerned that the Bengals will be no.4, eclipsed by that lovely kid Baker Mayfield's Browns. We've come a ways from the days when Rey Maualuga was giving Johnny Manziel the money sign after swatting his pass. AJ Green and Dalton ain't getting any younger, the o-line is still atrocious (we never should have let Whitworth go), and the LB corps may legitimately be the worst in the NFL.

On the plus side, Joe Mixon's found his groove, Tyler Boyd is a legit no.2 option, and Jessie Bates was great as a rookie. Plus we get a change of scenery, with Marvin gone. Please no Hue

Going into the season, I though that if they could mask over a bad o-line, the Bengals had a shot at overtaking Baltimore for no.2 in the north with a striking chance at no.1.

Now, I'm in the position where I'm concerned that the Bengals will be no.4, eclipsed by that lovely kid Baker Mayfield's Browns. We've come a ways from the days when Rey Maualuga was giving Johnny Manziel the money sign after swatting his pass. AJ Green and Dalton ain't getting any younger, the o-line is still atrocious (we never should have let Whitworth go), and the LB corps may legitimately be the worst in the NFL.

On the plus side, Joe Mixon's found his groove, Tyler Boyd is a legit no.2 option, and Jessie Bates was great as a rookie. Plus we get a change of scenery, with Marvin gone. Please no Hue

I have no idea why Hue is being considered as their HC. I mean almost every candidate I can think of would be better off.

I like Boyd a lot. Loved him in college. Love me some Geno Atkins too.

Seems like Dalton is gonna go down as a pretty decent QB who just never got it done in the playoffs. Not that all those losses were his fault.

Last edited:
I have no idea why Hue is being considered as their HC. I mean almost every candidate I can think of would be better off.

I like Boyd a lot. Loved him in college. Love me some Geno Atkins too.

Seems like Dalton is gonna go down as a pretty decent QB who just never got it done in the playoffs. Not that all those losses were his fault.

Mike Brown, that's the answer. He loves people he's familiar with, and maybe he remembers the Hue Jackson that was a competent OC in Cincy. In any case, fuck that.

Atkins is a beast, shame he'll be like Lavonte David, Joe Thomas or Jurrell Casey--a great player on a series of bad teams. And Dunlap ain't a slouch either.

I can still remember the season where Dalton played like a borderline all-Pro and then broke his thumb. Still, even with AJ McCarron we should have won that game against Pittsburgh. Fucking Jeremy Hill and Vontaze Burfict......I think that was the first time I ever swore in front of my baby boy.

Wow. This shocks me.

This is basically failing upward. Lost at Texas Tech, fired, hired to be USC’s Offensive Coordinator and then 3 weeks later is Head Coach in the NFL.

Don’t get me wrong. I think he’s a good offensive playcaller. I love the Mike Leach/Texas Tech offense. I guess we will see how it translates to NFL. Seems like they want someone creative on offense to work with Rosen

natjjohn

Don’t get why the Broncos go for a defensive coach. They need an offensive minded coach IMO.

Hue should be nowhere near a head coaching gig in the NFL. Bengals would be out of their mind to hand him the reigns.

Don’t get why the Broncos go for a defensive coach. They need an offensive minded coach IMO.

Hue should be nowhere near a head coaching gig in the NFL. Bengals would be out of their mind to hand him the reigns.

It sounds like Elway wants Kubiak to in total control of the offense next year. It will be interesting because Munchak (if hired) is a pure power run guy and Kubiak is a pure zone run guy. It’s speculated that Elway basically told the candidates that Kubiak gets whatever he wants for the offense.

Who knows tho

Vic Fangio officially hired as new Broncos Head Coach.

Sounds like Munchak was heavily in play but Fangio was “hellbent on becoming HC and said he would have no problem with Elway hiring his whole staff.” As tweeted by Mike Florio.

Last edited:
Looks like the Bengals are looking outside for an HC. Leading candidate seems to be Bienemy.

If this is true, then hallelujah and goodbye to Hue.

Looks like the Bengals are looking outside for an HC. Leading candidate seems to be Bienemy.

If this is true, then hallelujah and goodbye to Hue.

Just dub “Hue” over “You”

I have a sentimental connection to Eric Bieniemy.

As a really young kid I remember watching him play at CU (Univ. of Colorado) and he was a total stud. A serious player. My dad would always tell me “watch how he competes. That’s called grit.” Outstanding player.

I don’t know what he finished in the heisman race but at least he was nominated.

He’s still kind of a local legend around Bronco Country areas.

He had two assistant coaching stints back at CU but I don’t think he ever coached or played with the Broncos, undortunately.

There are two guys I listen to either on the radio or through podcasts/social media who were both all-Americans at CU and Super Bowl winners in the NFL and that’s Chad Brown and Alfred Williams (ironically a former first round pick of the Bengals from way back). Anytime Bieniemy’s name comes up they both just gush over what type of person he is. You literally never hear bad things about him.

So he’s the OC in Kansas City and we all know that Andy Reid is really the one calling the plays though. That being said he’s still there, part of that outstanding offensive system.

I think he’s being a fresh energy go Cincinnati

An interesting turn of events is that the biggest name heading into coaching carousel was SB winning Mike McCarthy, preciously of Green Bay, who didn’t want to interview in Denver.

Many people linked him to Jets but that blew up today. He might be shut out this season and working broadcasts for a year.

megamerican

Pretty shocked that the Jets would go with Gase over McCarthy. I'm guessing it's the age thing in this stupid, stupid McVay craze.

An interesting turn of events is that the biggest name heading into coaching carousel was SB winning Mike McCarthy, preciously of Green Bay, who didn’t want to interview in Denver.

Many people linked him to Jets but that blew up today. He might be shut out this season and working broadcasts for a year.

Think McCarthy confirmed he'd not coach the upcoming season, refresh himself and take a stab the next offseason. Wonder how he'd do after some time to reflect and without Rodgers.

Top Bottom