• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFS: Rivals may look ‘a little’ better on one next-gen console than the other

Which Gen 4 platform will Need For Speed: Rivals look the best on?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JABEE

The twitter-verse, Sid Shuman. Don't know if was DS4s plugged into a PC or PS4, but he was saying PS4.

Some random German forum poster in that other thread said that FIFA was running on PS4 too. I don't know how accurate they are.

“What we’re seeing with the consoles are actually that they are a little bit more powerful than we thought for a really long time *1 – especially one of them *2, but I’m not going to tell you which one," Nilsson told VideoGamer.com at Gamescom earlier today.

“And that makes me really happy. But in reality, I think we’re going to have both those consoles pretty much on parity *3 – maybe one sticking up a little bit. And I think that one will look as good as the PC. *4

Doesn't take a Phd to understand.

*1 - Both of these consoles (Xbox One and PS4)
*2 + *3 + *4 = "Even though one is specially exceeding our expectations, we will still seek parity. Maybe the one exceeding will look better, I think it might look as good as the PC."

Xbox One is more powerful than they anticipated, PS4 even more so. End of story. This is basic interpretation, anybody replying XboxOne also implies it will look better than PS4 and that is more than likely completely wrong.

Garjon

By teasing this you are sort of doing 1-2 to Xbone as people already assume its the PS4 that is better based on what we know about the hardware. (Even if not true)

Re: 3. So don't comment about it then. Just say both versions will be comparable.

As a result he may well get into serious trouble with EA. But hinting that one is better than the other is not as bad as saying it outright (in terms of relations with the big 3).

GodofWine

I seriously think its XB1 considering the money MS has been throwing towards EA in regards to everything

Money hatting parity is not a sustainable business model, for developers or hardware makers.

Console A moneyhats Dev A to make their version equal to, or a hair above Console Bs, even though Console B is more powerful.

Dev B is not money hatted, and makes a similar game on Console B, which by nature will be better than Dev As game since it wasnt gimped.

Dev B sells more games.
Dev A gets called lazy and not as talented since Dev B made such a nicer game.
Dev A suffers moving forward since they have a stigma of being b tier

Its in developers long term interest to make everything as nice as they can.

I am betting the Xbox version will look better. It took EA 40 minutes to mention "PS4" during their presser. I think MS have paid EA a lot of $$$
But by that logic, why wouldn't they just say the Xbone version is better? I'd say it's more likely it's the PS4 version since they don't want to mention it. Saying a PS4 game looks better than an Xbone game would hurt Microsoft and EA's 'exclusive partnership'.

ElNino

Doesn't take a Phd to understand.

*1 - Both of these consoles (Xbox One and PS4)
*2 + *3 + *4 = "Even though one is specially exceeding our expectations, we will still seek parity. Maybe the one exceeding will look better, I think it might look as good as the PC."

Xbox One is more powerful than they anticipated, PS4 even more so. End of story. This is basic interpretation, anybody replying XboxOne also implies it will look better than PS4 and that is more than likely completely wrong.
I think *2 is not necessarily the same as *3 and * 4. If PS4 was that much more powerful than they thought, I don't think he would then say that they are at "pretty much parity".

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The way he says 'more powerful than we thought' could suggest XONE. They knew the PS4 was powerful but everyone though the XONE was underpowered. He is saying this like it's a nice surprise.

He says both are a bit more powerful than they thought, but that one is more so than the other, and that that console's version of the game should match the PC version. It doesn't make any sense for that console to be anything other than the PS4, given the hard facts we know. The XBO simply cannot be considered more powerful than the PS4 in any way.

MoneyHats

Banned
He says both are a bit more powerful than they thought, but that one is more so than the other, and that that console's version of the game should match the PC version. It doesn't make any sense for that console to be anything other than the PS4, given the hard facts we know. The XBO simply cannot be considered more powerful than the PS4 in any way.

True, but what would happen if they say it's the Xbox One version due to more optimized drivers or other reason? The internetz will implode!

Krakn3Dfx

True, but what would happen if they say it's the Xbox One version due to more optimized drivers or other reason? The internetz will implode!

kramer.gif

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Every single bit of info/rumor we've heard regarding the two consoles' dev tools have suggested that the PS4's are significantly further ahead and more robust. Several devs have hinted at (or just outright said) this. And a few days ago CBOAT said that a recent update to the XBO SDK brought performance down by 20-30%.

IN&OUT

Banned
Incredibly brave comment, given that no one has read about the specs.

/s

We all know that PS4 is the more capable console, I was talking about people claiming that multiplat will look identical and devs won't push PS4 hardware to the limit while given a PS3 and 360 example.

Chobel

If he won't reveal which one then maybe he should just shut the fuck up. Seriously what's the point of saying this? as if this console wars is not bad enough.

MoneyHats

Banned
“What we’re seeing with the consoles are actually that they are a little bit more powerful than we thought for a really long time *1 – especially one of them *2, but I’m not going to tell you which one," Nilsson told VideoGamer.com at Gamescom earlier today.

“And that makes me really happy. But in reality, I think we’re going to have both those consoles pretty much on parity *3 – maybe one sticking up a little bit. And I think that one will look as good as the PC. *4

Sounds like they're talking about Xbox One. Both consoles have surprised them but I think on paper we all knew PS4 shows more muscle, so any special surprise would be coming from Xbox One. The second part, him saying both consoles will be pretty much on parity reinforces the first statement, since it was originally thought the PS4 would be crushing, but it looks like that's not the case.... interesting. Of course the system that closer matches the PC is likely the PS4, but the difference between X1 and PS4 will not be as significant as most people originally thought.

jaypah

We all know that PS4 is the more capable console, I was talking about people claiming that multiplat will look identical and devs won't push PS4 hardware to the limit while given a PS3 and 360 example.

You wasted logic on fanboys, thus losing.

The GamesCom demo didn't.

Did you notice the framerate on that gamescom video yesterday? Not exactly the smoothest thing in the world.

But with MS and EA getting in bed so clearly it would be pretty funny if EA launch games suspiciously ran worse on PS4

RetroStu

Banned
It will probably be the PS4 version but i'd love it to be the Xbox One version, the meltdowns on here would be legendary, the forum would probably crash lol.

"- especially one of them, but I’m not going to tell you which one..."

*winks*
*holds up 4 fingers*
*winks again*

I can understand why he's a bit noncommittal though, no real benefit to devs calling one version better than the other before it's done especially during development on your first title. Who knows, maybe the lagging console comes together late, like Burnout Paradise.
Or he holds up one finger...the middle one

Kopite

We could have had so much fun with graphics comparing this gen, pity the performance gap is too big for that though.

Jonm1010

Banned
This actually excites me. It's good to know 3rd parties are going to use the extra juice instead of identical ports.
Aren't most ports done by separate teams anyways? I would think that even if one is the lead platform over the other that inevitably differences will arise and often in the favor of the more powerful/easier to program for console?

IN&OUT

Banned
You wasted logic on fanboys, thus losing.

I don't know why its so hard for people to accept facts laid in front of them. there is even people in this thread claiming that he meant X1 version is superior which is IMPOSSIBLE given what we know about both platforms.

jaypah

We could have had so much fun with graphics comparing this gen, pity the performance gap is too big for that though.

The PC will make for good comparisons. For a year. I expect PC to look better from day one but it'll at least be interesting until PS4 gets smoked.

Jonm1010

Banned
It will probably be the PS4 version but i'd love it to be the Xbox One version, the meltdowns on here would be legendary, the forum would probably crash lol.

Probably some people would lose their shit but ultimately it would merely say money hats and make EA an exception to the norm because of it.

But ultimately with ps4's momentum and preorders in their favor, EA would be sabotaging their own selves by deliberately gimping the likely better selling versions to appease a bit of money from Microsoft that I can't imagine would come close to covering the potential losses doing that to ps4 versions of their games and the bad will that such PR could bring on them. At best I think Microsoft can hope for relative parity and at worse they will get exclusive content bought and paid for at the expense of a notable inferior version of EA games.

ElNino

I don't know why its so hard for people to accept facts laid in front of them. there is even people in this thread claiming that he meant X1 version is superior which is IMPOSSIBLE given what we know about both platforms.
No one is claiming that the X1 verion is superior, at least not in this thread.

What is unclear from what was quoted was which console has surprised them the most. This can go either way based on how it is worded, but the PS4 is very likely the console version he says will be near the PC.

Elios83

Obviously he's talking about the PS4.
It is effectively more powerful as we all know, Criterion has always been great with Sony hardware and NFS is leading on PS4.
So well, at least one multiplatform game is confirmed to be better on PS4.

N.Domixis

Banned

XBOX ONE more powerful confirmed

Top Bottom