• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFS: Shift Crashes at PlayStation Store Screen — on a 360

Tiduz

Eurogaime
did a search, sorry if mold.

source - kotaku

Calling it "the most bug-ridden piece of code I have witnessed in recent times," one blogger writes of his frustration when the game crashes on a PlayStation Store loading screen. Well, here's your problem: He has the Xbox 360 version.

"This could be the most embarrassing fail of all," posits enigmax at Freakbits.

When navigating menus today while connected to Xbox Live the game suddenly crashed again. When my rage had subsided and I got a better look at the screen, I was pretty shocked at what I saw.

Was my Xbox 360 version of Need for Speed Shift really trying to access the Playstation Store? Microsoft are not going to be happy about this.

Is the console really trying to get to the PlayStation Store? Or is it just stray code left over? Either are plenty embarrassing, of course, as that's a Sony logo in a Microsoft game version.

I don't have Need for Speed: Shift, so I can't replicate what he's talking about. If any reader comes across anything that confirms this bug or indicates it's fixed, please do email me or comment below and I'll update up here.

Meantime I've emailed the EA contact for NFS to ask WTF. If I hear anything, it too will be updated here.

image_1.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tiduz said:
did a search, sorry if mold.

source - kotaku

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I posted this on the GT5 vs Forza thread, but no one bit (I did it since they were comparing both those to Shift anyway).

Edit: Beat both you and Shagg by at least hours Sup.

It's no secret that PSN/XBL are nearly the same netcode/shop wise. Hell, Criterion could have allowed cross-platform play between PSN/XBL in Burnout Paradise if MS didn't say "No, you'll have our customers questioning why they're paying $50 a year to play online when PSN users can play for free!"

But interesting to see it happen to the 360 version, I wonder if the XBLMarketplace can be seen cross-platform... probably not since it uses the dashboard instead of a webbased system.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
"Title Here"

As I posted in the Official thread, this....well, someone in charge of the QA for the console editions needs to be fired. NOW.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The PS3 version doesn't have damage modeling? Wow lol. This is pretty outrageous by EA. Seems like an obvious rushjob.

B.K.

Stop It said:
As I posted in the Official thread, this....well, someone in charge of the QA for the console editions needs to be fired. NOW.

I don't think anyone does QA anymore.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Y2Kev said:
The PS3 version doesn't have damage modeling? Wow lol. This is pretty outrageous by EA. Seems like an obvious rushjob.
They already patched it apparently. But I guess this explains why there hasn't been a demo for this game yet...it's leaking from the seams.

That is crazy. :lol

No_Style

Y2Kev said:

They did indeed fix it. I'm pretty early on into the game and it's been fine so far. My bro encountered some nasty bugs though. It seems like it gets worse the more you play. :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Y2Kev said:

You serious? :lol

Patched or not, for that to even hit a master press and be sold is unbelievable.

Wasn't there enough time between the last NFS title and this one to at least make a functioning game? This is why sequels and devs in general need longer breaks in between their games for EA and Ubisoft...

Chrange

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Was the PS3 version the lead SKU? If it was, then this makes sense. If not, no clue how this could happen.

I can't see how the PS3 version would be lead SKU and wind up with worse graphics and damage modeling, but I can't figure out how this would be in the 360 version otherwise.

Skilotonn said:
Wasn't there enough time between the last NFS title and this one to at least make a functioning game? This is why sequels and devs in general need longer breaks in between their games for EA and Ubisoft...

They probably just wanted to get the game out before forza 3 and (and at the time they thought maybe gran turismo 5).

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
DoctorWho said:
I wonder what would have happened if it was actually able to access the PSN store. Is that like dividing by 0?

Spangler to Venkman: Don't cross the streams

It's quite simple, really...

Games are so complex nowadays that they don't bother making different data packs for each platform. They just don't have the time. All the game's code/art assets for all platforms are present in each build. They simply flick switches, so to speak, to decide what shows up on either platform.

So a bug occurred, a switch got flipped wrong, and a PSN placeholder interface got displayed. I'm guessing they didn't test all error conditions correctly. They never do, anyway. Error-handling is done last and if no tester stumbles upon it, it never gets done.

And how is that surprising? As games have become bigger and more complex, QA costs have skyrocketed. Companies are now allocating ever less time for QA, and outsourcing it to third world countries where they can hire 4 testers for the price of one over here. Sure, you get the quantity, but you don't get the quality.

Patches for console games now allowed, companies are no longer worried about releasing an unfinished game. They sell regardless. Why should they care?

~Kinggi~

Banned
AtomicShroom said:
It's quite simple, really...

Games are so complex nowadays that they don't bother making different data packs for each platform. They just don't have the time. All the game's code/art assets for all platforms are present in each build. They simply flick switches, so to speak, to decide what shows up on either platform.

So a bug occurred, a switch got flipped wrong, and a PSN placeholder interface got displayed. I'm guessing they didn't test all error conditions correctly. They never do, anyway. Error-handling is done last and if no tester stumbles upon it, it never gets done.

And how is that surprising? As games have become bigger and more complex, QA costs have skyrocketed. Companies are now allocating ever less time for QA, and outsourcing it to third world countries where they can hire 4 testers for the price of one over here. Sure, you get the quantity, but you don't get the quality.

Patches for console games now allowed, companies are no longer worried about releasing an unfinished game. They sell regardless. Why should they care?
this makes me sad :(

KillerAJD

I remember playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 one night, and when I went to change my equipment, the pictures of the PS3 buttons were replaced with the 360 equivalents. I thought it was funny more than anything.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The joys of getting a game out on time no matter what...

AtomicShroom said:

Especially when reviewers are oblivious to the game's faults.

Top Bottom