• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NGL as a PlayStation gamer, I'm envious of the backward compatibility XBOX Series X offers

How much does the inclusion of backwards compatibility influence your decision to purchase?

• Not at All - It's simply not something that I require

Votes: 69 24.0%
  • Somewhat - it's not the most important feature

Votes: 58 20.1%
  • Somewhat - I do consider it to be important

Votes: 39 13.5%
  • Moderately - I would want other features to warrant it not being there

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Absolutely - In this day and age, I don't see why it cannot be done

Votes: 125 43.4%

• Total voters
I don’t care but when I’m bored between new games on ps5 I would like to be able to run ps4 games with super fast loading for the second play through. Especially if they’ve got some minor graphics upgrades or even just frame rate improvements.

I don’t know why people seem to think the PS4 won’t be back compatible I’m personally assuming pretty much full back compatibility. I would be surprised if it’s not. I also expect some games to get some minor upgrades using the ps5 it only makes sense to keep the game sales going for people using the new console.

giphy.gif
Holy fuck, you laid him out with his own comments and he’s still doubling down. Glorious.

Vasto

Of course BC matters because nobody has played nearly all of the games that have come out this gen. I sub to Game Pass Ultimate and that is still just a piece of whats available to play so imagine somebody that just buys all the games they play. Even when the new consoles launch you will still have new current gen games launching. BC is so important at the start of a gen when the new consoles wont have many games to play. It is amazing at how Xbox Series X will do BC by enhancing current gen games with resolution, fps and hdr. Its actually better that you did not play the game yet because better versions will be coming next gen.

This is no different than people saying E3 does not matter anymore just because Sony stopped attending. I know you lying but I will let tell it. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

jeffyjaixx

Don't care for BC. Nice to have, sure, but I buy a new console for new games. I don't replay my old games. Just playing the title the first time is enough for me.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I don’t think I have ever replayed a game, so it makes zero difference to me. I’ll beat a game and give it away, trade it, sell it, etc.

Therefore, I really don’t care about BC. However, I’m likely going to play Ghosts of Tsushima and FF7r on PS5.

trikster40

I used BC a bit in my PS2 at first, but the generational gap was so large I stopped after a couple of months.

Ditto with my PS3. Used it a bit at first, then stopped once that gen started rolling.

I barely used it on my Vita, mostly some classic PS1 gems like SotN.

I’d absolutely love to have it just for the sake of having it, but it doesn’t sway my console of choice at all.

Unless they concocted some magic to add trophy support to every generation of games since PS1. Then I’d break out my library.

Brofist

As a PC gamer, console gamers opinion of bc is very strange to me. When I play games I just see a huge library of games. Sometimes I pick out a game that's 15 years old to play, sometimes I pick out one that's a day old. Why wouldn't you want to just be able to access anything at any time?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

It is one of the best games I played in my life.
But that was in 1998? I guess... I want others games to play.

I don't revisit games I already played because it is boring the second time.
I tried to play FFVII on PS4 two years ago... I finished it a month ago because it was boring to play the same thing again.

I don't watch movies twice too... I know the story already... same for books.
Yeah, everyone is different.

FMX

You guys have to understand that Sony planned on cashing in on those remasters. They probably never cared about BC.

Gravemind

As a PC gamer, console gamers opinion of bc is very strange to me. When I play games I just see a huge library of games. Sometimes I pick out a game that's 15 years old to play, sometimes I pick out one that's a day old. Why wouldn't you want to just be able to access anything at any time?

Because your favourite corporate overlord has a worse implementation of the feature.

Brofist

Worse than who? I can literally pick out any of the hundreds of game in my Steam collection and play them how I want.

cHaOs667

Today's fun facts:
Who first established that Backwards Compatibility was even something consoles could do? Sony, with the PlayStation 2
That is wrong. The Atari 7800 was able to play Atari 2600 Games.

To me, this is the oldest console with bc.

A newer example would be the Amiga CD32, which could play certain Commodore CDTV titles.

ToadMan

It’s curious that with all the gushing over Xsex bc, people didn’t bother buying the xb1 and it’s games...

If there was so much thirst - why didn’t the xb1 and it’s games sell better? If they had, MS might be offering actual games this time round instead of a bait and switch using BC.

I mean we know 360 was the high point but that’s 15 years-ish ago, those games have been played, ported and packed up.

Anyway to answer the OP sure I want BC for PS games - their 1st party and exclusives have been very strong and PS is the only place to play them.

As it happens BC is there this time so I don’t think there’s any compromise necessary - PS5 has the key bases covered.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It’s curious that with all the gushing over Xsex bc, people didn’t bother buying the xb1 and it’s games...

If there was so much thirst - why didn’t the xb1 and it’s games sell better? If they had, MS might be offering actual games this time round instead of a bait and switch using BC.

I mean we know 360 was the high point but that’s 15 years-ish ago, those games have been played, ported and packed up.

Anyway to answer the OP sure I want BC for PS games - their 1st party and exclusives have been very strong and PS is the only place to play them.

As it happens BC is there this time so I don’t think there’s any compromise necessary - PS5 has the key bases covered.
Think of it this way, if MS hadn’t pushed hard with BC your PS4 library of digital games wouldn’t of been playable on PS5. You do have something to be thankful of MS for

I never understand the mentality behind the hype for BC in new consoles. I was also hyped about original PS3 having full BC as I had a lot of PS2 games in backlog so thought i could finsih them all on PS3. But after buying PS3 and with the amount of time for gaming in hand I could only play PS3 titles as they had better graphics, multiplayer, gameplay etc. Soon I understood that I won't ever be playing those PS2 games ever. Then same happened with PS3 and now with PS4. So BC has no value to me as I am not one to go back to replay finished games as there are enough new console games to occupy my gaming time.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I want BC for PS4.

Not just a standard BC, but I want to see games like Bloodborne, TLOU Part II, Uncharted 4, God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn all running at 4K 60fps. I'm not expecting every game to have enhancements, but I want to see Sony's first party studio games being enhanced for the PS5.

Wizz-Art

I for sure would be envious too...if I was PS only :messenger_tongue: Fortunately I'm not and I actually ditched the PS brand after the 360/PS3 gen when I found out that Sony doesn't care for your purchases on their ecosystem when talking about future generations. Being locked in the Xbox ecosystem exclusively never feld this good to be honest. Almost all my 360 and One games that I bought digitally are going to be available to me once the XSX launches. Also the OG games that I've gotten through GWG will be there. That's huge and very consumer friendly, so I will continue to support the brand in the future without FUD.

Don't care about BC.
I find this statement hard to believe. Being able to play hundreds if not thousands of games from 2 or 3 generations back with free added enhanced effects like 4k resolution, improved/double the framerate, hdr,faster loading times etc for FREE is something every gamer should applaud no matter brand loyalty.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
"Don't care about BC" > "Boy, have you seen that remaster? Holy shit, hype!"

Kokoloko85

PS3, PS2 and PS1 BC would be amazing but the narrative of switching to xbox because playstation doesn't have it it rather dumb...

Most likely MS bots trying to convince people its a bigger deal than having exclusive games for your latest console Lol.
Who’s lacking those exclusive next gen titles??

Just like Modern Warfare and Red dead redemption in 4k on the Xbox 1 X wasn’t a console seller and the reason not to get a PS4.......

Again it would be AMAZING to have it and well done for MS for getting something right ( No Jet Set Radio Future though) but its not more important than what new stuff the consoles are offering

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
PS3, PS2 and PS1 BC would be amazing but the narrative of switching to xbox because playstation doesn't have it it rather dumb...

Most likely MS bots trying to convince people its a bigger deal than having exclusive games for your latest console Lol.
Who’s lacking those exclusive next gen titles??

Just like Modern Warfare and Red dead redemption in 4k on the Xbox 1 X wasn’t a console seller and the reason not to get a PS4.......

Again it would be AMAZING to have it and well done for MS for getting something right ( No Jet Set Radio Future though) but its not more important than what new stuff the consoles are offering
Well it isn't but it's a nice feature and you can with clear mind invest into ecosystem, when you know that your purchase will carry over to the next console. And I don't think that MS message is "we have a BC, so you can play old games, because we are not creating new ones", this is simply feature of the console. I don't know I played a lot of X360 games on XB1X and well...I enjoyed them some games simply does not age. For some reason, I finished Condemned: Criminals Origin like 6 times and I might play it again. I also played games which had performance issues on X360, so it was great to revisit them with better performance. Not the mention, that "smart delivery" cross-buy stuff, is also nice. Which Sony can have too, so far only that shitty EA deal is announced and we don't know what they hold for future.

jonnyp

I find this statement hard to believe. Being able to play hundreds if not thousands of games from 2 or 3 generations back with free added enhanced effects like 4k resolution, improved/double the framerate, hdr,faster loading times etc for FREE is something every gamer should applaud no matter brand loyalty.

What's so hard to believe? I don't buy new consoles to play old games I have already played or games I was never interested in.

Great work by MS for providing it to those who care, but doesn't change my personal opinion that I couldn't give a fiddler's fuck about BC.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Honestly I trust Microsoft more with "the future of gaming" more than I do Sony, lots of reasons for that just looking in since 2013 without participating.
BC is one thing, the other is services but as great they might be to some it won't be shifting the ball in their court without the 2nd/3rd parties support.
Xbox needs first parties to strike big and have sustained success for their market share to potentially grow, one hand washes to other - it is a marathon and has already begun.

Top Bottom