• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

calder

Doctors: Sidney Crosby Has Greatly Improved Ability To Hide Concussion Symptoms Lately

Personal trainer Andy O’Brien said that in the past month alone he has witnessed Crosby on several occasions pretending he had to go to the bathroom whenever bright lights or loud sounds triggered the symptoms of his concussions. O’Brien also confirmed the former NHL MVP has shifted from expressing grievances about neck pains to complaining about a new pillow and how it must be making him sleep weird.

The Onion, unsurprisingly, comes up with a perfectly balanced depressing/funny take on concussions.

If there's a lockout this season. The Leafs will make hockey history as the only team to make it from one lockout to another without playing a single game in the playoffs.

Cake Boss

Banned
Well were fucked. The douchbag wants to make NHL into baseball where teams just spend and buy sucess and use other teams as basically their farm systems. FUCK THAT SHIT. Love the parity thats going on right now.

if there is a lockout I am blaming this on the players, they are making way too much money and asking formore revenue while we have unstable franchises and owners losing money.

Thank god NHL 13 is only a week away.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Lol

I think when NHLPA went to give their proposal they just gave a slight variation on their offer

NHL actually changed theirs, and they offered one without a salary rollback, so fehr looks like a fucking idiot

I change my sides, fuck the NHLPA

@DarrenDreger: NHL saw little or no movement from the players in todays round of discussions and therefore opts to recess CBA discussions.

Marvie_3

Banned
Hellooooooooooo lockout

But bruce said there wouldn't be a lockout!!

Well were fucked. The douchbag wants to make NHL into baseball where teams just spend and buy sucess and use other teams as basically their farm systems. FUCK THAT SHIT. Love the parity thats going on right now.
Exactly.

As I've been saying for awhile, revenue should be split 50/50 and left that way forever. Both sides get half, nothing there to argue about.

Cake Boss

Banned
Asking for removing of the cap system is one of the dumbest shit ever, the players are making more money than ever now because teams wants to be able to hit the cap floor and overpay to get to the floor.

Merguson

Banned
Asking for removing of the cap system is one of the dumbest shit ever, the players are making more money than ever now because teams wants to be able to hit the cap floor and overpay to get to the floor.

Both sides want a hard cap.. no one is asking for the removal of the cap system

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Lol

I think when NHLPA went to give their proposal they just gave a slight variation on their offer

NHL actually changed theirs, and they offered one without a salary rollback, so fehr looks like a fucking idiot

I change my sides, fuck the NHLPA

But owners are still taking a lot of money through escrow. It's the only way for a much lower cap and no rollbacks to work. Owners changed the way hockey related revenues were calculated, too. It's not like the offer is awesome.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Darren Dredger said:
As ominous as things may seem, the real negotiating won't start for either the NHL or PA until or around Sept 10.
I still think we lose 2-3 months.

DopeyFish

But owners are still taking a lot of money through escrow. It's the only way for a much lower cap and no rollbacks to work. Owners changed the way hockey related revenues were calculated, too. It's not like the offer is awesome.

The escrow is paid back if they over took

Players cry about escrow- but when players make 25,000 PER GAME on average, they really need to stfu

They get the correct amount of money in the end - that's the point of escrow

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We all saw this coming with the hiring of Fehr. That douche is a guaranteed lockout.

And guess what? The players aren't going to win this one. How many teams lost money by operating last year? I highly doubt they'll all be clamoring to get the season back on track.

So wait. The NHL makes a stupid offer. NHLPA jumps on it and calls them.

NHL comes back with a somewhat decent offer, and the NHLPA proceeds to counter with one as equally-stupid as the NHL's first offer.

I take it back. Fuck the NHLPA.

Marvie_3

Banned
We all saw this coming with the hiring of Fehr. That douche is a guaranteed lockout.

And guess what? The players aren't going to win this one. How many teams lost money by operating last year? I highly doubt they'll all be clamoring to get the season back on track.
Bingo. Look at Phoenix. Their best financial year was the last lockout. I do think revenue sharing needs to go up as well though.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Fuck both the NHL and NHLPA.
No matter which side you side with (and honestly, it doesn't really matter to fans), it's undeniable that both sides kinda really fucking suck at this whole negotiating process.

owners: here's our proposal
1 month passes
players: hmm..
1 week passes
players: we're going to ignore your first proposal. here's our proposal
1 week passes
owners: we need more time
1 week passes
owners: we're going to ignore your first proposal. here's our revised proposal
players: hmm
owners: let's go to new york for our next meeting
players: ok
players: hmm
1 week passes
owners: we're making great progress!
players: we're still really far apart
1 week passes
players: we don't like your proposal
owners: ok
players: alright, let's meet later, maybe
owners: k

But I thought some in here kept saying it was the NHL's fault and not the NHLPA?

I hate this whole thing, and I hate Fehr. And I hate to a lesser extent the NHL management.

Rodeo Clown

NHL still gets the money from NBC whether there's a season or not.

Yeah, but my observation of the NBA lockout is guiding my thought process here. The NBA still got theirs from Turner and Disney, but there was still a ton of pressure on the league to get back by Christmas, which is the NBA's big marquee day and the start of the NBA on ABC.

So I think that NBC Thanksgiving game makes sense as maybe the start of the season.

Marvie_3

Banned
NHL doesn't want to talk unless there are salary cuts.

Yeah yeah.. who gave the players the salaries in the first place?
The owners haven't asked for any rollbacks.

Yeah, but my observation of the NBA lockout is guiding my thought process here. The NBA still got theirs from Turner and Disney, but there was still a ton of pressure on the league to get back by Christmas, which is the NBA's big marquee day and the start of the NBA on ABC.

So I think that NBC Thanksgiving game makes sense as maybe the start of the season.
The Winter Classic would be more applicable to the comparison. That's the NHL's marquee regular season game.

Socreges

Banned
Do NBA fans bring up how the Heat won the championship during a shortened season? As if it deserves an asterix? I can definitely see that happening here.

Acid08

Banned
Do NBA fans bring up how the Heat won the championship during a shortened season? As if it deserves an asterix? I can definitely see that happening here.

Oh, it'll definitely happen here.

Look out for the Sharks 2013 Cup win with all fans and media saying it shouldn't even count. sigh.

DopeyFish

NHL doesn't want to talk unless there are salary cuts.

Yeah yeah.. who gave the players the salaries in the first place?

NHL : let's lower down to 47% of HRR and fix contract issues

NHLPA: let's do 57% of HRR with increase revenue sharing

NHL: ok - let's do 50% of HRR, fix contracts, emphasize no rollback

NHLPA: let's do 57% of HRR with increased revenue sharing (but this time, claim MLB is awesome because of fehr)

NHL and fans: ...

Socreges

Banned
Oh, it'll definitely happen here.

Look out for the Sharks 2013 Cup win with all fans and media saying it shouldn't even count. sigh.
iczbsEmac7iou.gif

Rodeo Clown

It happened a lot during the Finals, but I don't think anybody really cares. It's not like the Spurs' 99 title; 66 games is still mostly a season.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Fuck.this.shit.

Hellooooooo NHL Connected League, EASHL and Guild Wars 2! (where I keep seeing milly).

Also, Hello Vancouver Giants? Abbotsford Heat? Maybe I'll go take a look at this Baertschi kid more closely and have a chat with him in his native tongue. :lol

Merguson

Banned
The owners haven't asked for any rollbacks.

The Winter Classic would be more applicable to the comparison. That's the NHL's marquee regular season game.

Not true.

They did so in the first proposal.

Then they removed it only to take it back through escrow at a higher percentage in their next proposal.

The NHL wants salary cuts, either way.

TSN said:
The league's proposal did not include an across-the-board reduction (or "rollback") to existing contract values. Necessary adjustments would be financed entirely from a combination of modified contracting practices, increases in league-wide revenue and from the players' Escrow contributions.

NHL : let's lower down to 47% of HRR and fix contract issues

NHLPA: let's do 57% of HRR with increase revenue sharing

NHL: ok - let's do 50% of HRR, fix contracts, emphasize no rollback

NHLPA: let's do 57% of HRR with increased revenue sharing (but this time, claim MLB is awesome because of fehr)

NHL and fans: ...

The NHL's first proposal was 43% of HRR for the players.

THe NHLPA's first proposal is currently unknown actually. They said they would be willing to decrease the player's share but how much is currently unknown. I guess the 57% comes from the third/fourth year option for the players to revert back which I think is stupid.

With the NHL's new proposal, it's more like 46% because they wanted to change the definitions of HRR which means that the players would actually be getting less as opposed to the current defintions of HRR.

That's how I understand the whole negotiating thing so far..

I'm interested in knowing what exactly changed, if any, in the NHLPA's new proposal. I'm not taking Gary Bettman's word on it.

Top Bottom