• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

manfestival

Ive been watching the NHL for years here and there. The past couple of years ive gotten more involved however im still curious about some things. Like what are all the things that cause face offs. Also what is the offsides, like I see the puck going passed the blue line but who is allowed to touch it? Also for power plays, I see lots of people end up in the box for I guess penalties but its completely unclear to me as to what happened. Are you only allowed to check the puck holder/carrier? I am sure I can think of more when I watch the games but these are the ones that stick out the most to me.

Ive been watching the NHL for years here and there. The past couple of years ive gotten more involved however im still curious about some things. Like what are all the things that cause face offs. Also what is the offsides, like I see the puck going passed the blue line but who is allowed to touch it? Also for power plays, I see lots of people end up in the box for I guess penalties but its completely unclear to me as to what happened. Are you only allowed to check the puck holder/carrier? I am sure I can think of more when I watch the games but these are the ones that stick out the most to me.

Welcome to the Machine.

All you have to know is who's starting in net for the leafs and that the queens can get fucked.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
6Ku40eP.gif

"Interference."

I just skimmed this but it seems like a decent place to learn from: http://adhilde.hubpages.com/hub/Basic-Rules-NHL-Hockey-Visual-Guide

Stasis

Yeah the game was reffed pretty horribly, I don't think anyone can deny that. And Budaj stood on his head and made some sick saves. No one can deny that either.

But I tire of excuses. Winning teams find ways to win. The Rangers don't. 3-7, 15-35. Says about all that needs to be said. Shit ain't working. Will it eventually work? Maybe. But I'm about 90% sure we're missing the playoffs now. You know what else I feel confident saying? That we're not gonna rock-bottom it, and we'll end up with a middle pick not worth a damn. But I like what I saw from Kreider, and Miller too. We've got some decent talent building up in Hartford.

Next year could be decent. Some changes will be made I'm sure. Hopefully good ones.

Merguson

Banned
Trap game tonight for the Leafs. I'm worried.

We only lose to teams that start with the letter "C" so expect a win against Edmonton but a loss against Calgary.

Kyper said:
Is #Leafs Phaneuf worth 50M over 7 yrs? I'm hearing bar has been set in talks and that's where it starts. More on HC@ noon+ @Sportsnet 2nite

That's roughly a little over 7 million per year. Thoughts?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really know what the problem with this team is. The talent is there, even with the injuries. Brassard can score, Stepan can score, Zucc can score, Kreider can score, etc. They just don't. Last night's issue was passing. There were a number of golden opportunities totally ruined not so much because of anything the Habs did but because the outlet pass wasn't where it needed to be.

Hagelin coming back tonight is exciting, but I don't expect it to help too much.

And what exactly do we pay Pyatt for?

Yeah the game was reffed pretty horribly, I don't think anyone can deny that. And Budaj stood on his head and made some sick saves. No one can deny that either.

But I tire of excuses. Winning teams find ways to win. The Rangers don't. 3-7, 15-35. Says about all that needs to be said. Shit ain't working. Will it eventually work? Maybe. But I'm about 90% sure we're missing the playoffs now. You know what else I feel confident saying? That we're not gonna rock-bottom it, and we'll end up with a middle pick not worth a damn. But I like what I saw from Kreider, and Miller too. We've got some decent talent building up in Hartford.

Next year could be decent. Some changes will be made I'm sure. Hopefully good ones.

Tank time baby. Ekblad/Reinhart this year, then full on tank assault for McDavid next year. Trade UFAs for $$$. Holler.

Osorio

Silver lining. Our whole division is terrible!

Merguson

Banned
So apparently the Sabres offered Vanek to the Leafs but there was no deal to be made.

We don't really need more wingers at this point. JVR, Kessel, Lupul and Clarkson all locked up long-term.

Honestly watching the IGN BF4 footage, the graphics on Xbox One look just fine to me, considering it will only get better over time as developers learn the tech. Of course I am most looking forward to exclusives and I'm not really worried about third party games and how they will look, seems it will be just fine.

Honestly watching the IGN BF4 footage, the graphics on Xbox One look just fine to me, considering it will only get better over time as developers learn the tech.

You know what else looks fine?

BC2/BF3 running on my laptop, and even that runs at 900p.

Next gen has to do better than that (and it probably will eventually but still, wtf DICE)

Yeah, not as good as the PS4, but it will do. That new Ryse trailer though looks great.

Ryse has impressed me quite a bit, and recent gameplay previews from people who have played it at the Xbox tour locations seem to be pretty good.

You know what else looks fine?

BC2/BF3 running on my laptop, and even that runs at 900p.

Next gen has to do better than that (and it probably will eventually but still, wtf DICE)

While I love a game that looks nice (playing Metro Last Light on my GTX670 and it looks gorgeous!), I'm not overly concerned like most people on this forum seem to be when it comes to comparisons and what the Xbox One can/can't do in terms of graphics. Before the comparisons it seemed like it would be the end of the world for anyone planning on getting an Xbox, but now everything seems just fine and pretty much what I expected.

Edit: Woah Schuey, I didn't know there was another Ryse trailer out today, just watched it, game has really picked up momentum since it was first announced and everyone was very skeptical about it. I'm still curious on how it plays though, hopefully there will be a demo.

Good game by the Canucks last night. Neuvirth got hung out to dry.

Kesler does score more on the wing. When Sundin centered him he did pretty well. He'll go back to the second line since Santorelli can't stay there forever. Makes me wonder how Hodgson would've looked centering Kesler.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm going to start using "Rangerstown" as some sort of derogatory slang.

For example: "Taylor Pyatt is still in the lineup tonight? Man, that is straight up Rangerstown."

...maybe not.

Top Bottom