• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2017 [OT]- Kneelin' and dealin'

imBask

Banned
That being said Godin wrote a good article on the french side of the athletics, saying he spoke to some western GM and Galchenyuk's value isn't as bad as we think. They kept comparing him to Drouin, saying how misused Drouin was, saying he also spent time on lower lines, they even sent him down in the AHL, etc etc

it gives me hope that at least one sucker will think it was all Therrien's fault and give us a decent price for him

That being said Godin wrote a good article on the french side of the athletics, saying he spoke to some western GM and Galchenyuk's value isn't as bad as we think. They kept comparing him to Drouin, saying how misused Drouin was, saying he also spent time on lower lines, they even sent him down in the AHL, etc etc

it gives me hope that at least one sucker will think it was all Therrien's fault and give us a decent price for him

Lol what were you guys expecting? I always figured the question with him was whether he stayed at a JvR level, or went higher.

Speaking of JvR, anyone else find it a lllllllllllllllittle weird that people view him as one of the most replaceable players? I get that the have a bunch of prospects on the wing - but not one of them not playing for the Leafs today is as good, or projects to be as good, as JvR.

Stéphane Laporte‏Verified account
@laportestephane
« Le CH a une meilleure défense que l'an dernier, c'est juste que les autres équipes ont une meilleure offense que l'an dernier. » -Bergevin

giphy.gif

Reckheim

Lol what were you guys expecting? I always figured the question with him was whether he stayed at a JvR level, or went higher.

Speaking of JvR, anyone else find it a lllllllllllllllittle weird that people view him as one of the most replaceable players? I get that the have a bunch of prospects on the wing - but not one of them not playing for the Leafs today is as good, or projects to be as good, as JvR.

He is decent, he isn't 'lets sign him for 8 years' decent.

Personally if that is what he is looking for i'd let him walk. Not that I think too many other teams would sign him to 8 years either.

Ondor

Banned
brah this year you should probably just look at individual performances of players you think are going to be part of this rebuild of yours... you're not prepared for the tankaku if you still care about winning
I don't want to win but I'd like to lose in an acceptable manner. Our defensive defenseman should not be leading scoring and our shutdown centre should not have the most evens TOI.

IIRC Habs GAF was pretty high on Debrincat that draft. Or I might just be thinking of Creeper's cat supremacy. There were a lot of cat puns.

I know Leafs GAF was at least

Yawnier

Banned

I don't think anybody has said that you are gonna get 1 for 1 or greater production out of a winger prospect who could replace JVR (ex. Kapanen, Bracco, Grundstrom or Johnsson).

But if you can get idk, like 55% to 75% of the production of a JVR from one of those young winger prospects for like 1/6 or 1/7 of the money that JVR is gonna get then imo it isn't the end of the world to let him walk or trade him. The odds are also against JVR becoming any better of a player at this point unless he pulls a Blake Wheeler or something which is unlikely. Not to mention the forward core of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander should only gonna get better organically over the next 4 or or 5 years.

Delryk

I keep comparing him to Jason Blake.. had that 1 good season of 40 goals and a huge contract but the rest of his career he was an ok 2-3 liner...

Delryk

I'd see Kapanen/Johnsson or even Grundstrom take his place but not skill wise.. budget wise for the future, it just makes a lot more sense. Certainly not a higher potential then JVR but still a decent 2-3 line wingers.

Right now the JVR-Bozak-Marner is pretty much our 3rd line... Bozak and JVR are the odd men out to get new good potential kids in while getting something back (aka, other good prospects or picks) and keeping the cap under

The Salary Cap reality. If we're gonna sign guys like Matthews/Marner/Nylander, we're gonna need to shed guys like Bozak and JVR. They are not bad players, but we can't keep them all. The Hawks have shown how to manage the cap through trades, inspired scouting (Panarin) and drafting (DeBrincat). I'd love to keep all these guys but it is what it is.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just got my tickets for pens/oilers on 10/24. Pumped to see McDavid play in person. Should be a good one.

Solo

Ladies and gentleman, our GM!

Mr. Grit
Mr. Intangibles
Mr. Character
Mr. Nepotism
Mr. Trades are hard
Mr. Our defense is better but other teams offenses are even better-er
Mr. You can't trade for a #1C whilst sitting on his ass while Seguin, Carter, and RyJo are flipped
Mr. Player A is not being traded whilst getting ready to finalize the trade
Mr. Come out in the summer and say Player A won't be playing position X instead of letting the coach decide

Quick

Banned
I can’t even laugh at Habs-GAF after the Leafs went back-to-back with Burke and Nonis.

Damn what eras those were. You could argue it was one long era even.

Ondor

Banned
Oh shit, The Athletic just picked up J.D. Burke. Might have to subscribe now if they're just going to hire all the CanucksArmy people.

Top Bottom