• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni No Kuni 2 - Combat System Breakdown

Exentryk

The analysis below is from the recent PSX 2016 trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZNmEJgXCE).

The combat of Ni No Kuni 2 has changed since Ni No Kuni 1, and so I decided to take a closer look and hopefully help people get a better idea of how it works now. The combat is more action based, and Level-5 has gotten rid of that annoying command wheel that took forever to find the right moves in the heat of the battle. Commands now are mapped directly to buttons, and special abilities can be used via shortcut buttons.
Let's get into it.

HUD:
In the image below, one can see the player controlled character's name, face, their green HP, their blue MP, their Level, and a secondary ranged weapon UI (to the left).

knWYHKv.png

One can also see the current AI party characters and their HP and levels. In addition, there are two unique monsters (10 of each) which also form part of the AI party.

Finally, one can see some shortcut buttons (L1 and R1). The L1 button was not used in the trailer, but it appears to let the player interact with the monster AI party somehow.

ocNUB2q.png

The R1 button allows the player to instantly execute skills by pressing the respective face button (Triangle, Cross, etc.) while holding R1.

9LW71WU.png

Party:
You can play as any of the three characters seen in the trailer - Evan, Roland, or Tani. We'd didn't see switching of the characters during battle in the trailer, but we did see each of the characters being controlled. The other monsters don't seem controllable, but some interaction seems possible with them via the L1 button.

giphy.gif

Weapons:
Each party member has at least two weapons - a short range weapon and a long range weapon. Evan uses a sword and a staff/wand, Roland uses a sword and a gun, and Tani uses a spear and a bow. Switching between weapons seem instant, and I'll hazard a guess that attacks with different weapons are mapped to different face buttons (eg. Triangle and Square).

The way the ranged weapons work is that the secondary weapon gauge next to the character's icon fills up in battles slowly and automatically, and this allows the player to use that many shots from the ranged weapon (Max number in trailer is 5). A bit hard to see, but notice the ranged weapon (yellow) gauge next to Tani's image decrease when she fires her bow in the gif below.

giphy.gif

Skills:
By pressing the R1 button, 4 skills each mapped to the respective face buttons can be used instantly. Using these skills consumes MP. Some skills can be seen below. Also notice in the 2nd gif where Tani fires 3 arrows from off screen, which is most likely one of her skills.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

And that's pretty much all we saw in the trailer. Hopefully this manages to release in 2017 coz I'm so ready!

giphy.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
This looks to be such an incredible game, damn.

NNK was one of the finest RPG's I ever played and this one seems to take it to the next level. Great breakdown of the mechanics, thanks!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jesus Christ, this was well done!

I loved Ni No Kuni, up until the point where I realized the combat truly is too slow for my taste. This game will change that, right?

Fantastic job OP!

I really hope this delivers and is better than NNK1. As much as I loved the charm and setting a lot of the design elements really really slowed the game down.

Jesus Christ, this was well done!

I loved Ni No Kuni, up until the point where I realized the combat truly is too slow for my taste. This game will change that, right?

Yoshi and I on the same wavelength, universes are bendddddddddding.

Moltenix

I never played the first game but one of the big complaints seemed to be the combat. This looks to be a big improvement? Visually, it's looking really nice.

GavinUK86

As long as it's better than the garbage Ni No Kuni combat system. That was the only thing that ruined that game. Everything else was so charming.

Very nice write -up.

I must admit i didn't consider that many information when i saw that trailer the first times.

Well Done OP

On topic :
I like the supposed emphasis on skills hopefully the battle system will be faster this time or maybe more tight ? It'll be intresting to see what they learned from the first ni no kuni

I actually didn't really like Ni No Kuni all that much, but this looks really, really good.
Definitely one of my most anticipated games of the year.

Dark_castle

Looked like they went full action instead of whatever the fuck they were trying to do in the first game, so that's hopeful for me. The art style is just so charming and beautiful, and I also liked the fantasy setting. Thanks for this.

If I knew for certain this was coming in 2017, it would be in my top 5 most anticipated.

Those magic gifs! Yas!

Edit - Oh wait, this was number 4 for me for Shinobi's thread lol.

Go_Ly_Dow

Excited.

The first was good, but could have done with a lot more depth to the combat and world design. I'm feeling confident about this.

RPGam3r

Thanks for the great breakdown. Combat was easily the worst part of Ni No Kuni, so this is very refreshing!

silva1991

Hell yeah! I still remember that hype FFXV combat system breakdown you made in 2013.

Combat looks good, but I will miss NNK1's combat :(

FIGHT ME HATERS.

Dy_Cy

Combat looks cool. Good analysis OP.

Is Ghibli still involved with this game or are they just keeping a similar artstyle from the first one?

Hell yeah! I still remember that hype FFXV combat system breakdown you made in 2013.

FIGHT ME HATERS.

Noon, the field down the street. BE THERE.

Everything sounds great and an improvement over what we got in the first game.

And btw those little white monsters seem straight out of Princess Mononoke.

[mg]https://animereporter.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/princess-mononoke-06.jpg[/img]

My first thought too.

Is Studio Ghibli involved in this one in any way? It still looks like their art style. And is this a continuation of the first game or a Final Fantasy type thing?

Instantly using abilities is far better than having to cycle through all options in real time. That was what really hurt combat in the first game.

Exentryk

Is Ghibli still involved with this game or are they just keeping a similar artstyle from the first one?

We have Joe Hisaishi doing the music, but not sure if other Ghibli staff is helping with artwork and stuff. I feel like they aren't this time around.

So the monster collecting part seems to be gone, that was my favorite stuff in the first game.

Seems like it, but we get those other Pikmin like monsters. I also really enjoyed the monster collecting aspect of the first game, but am open to seeing something new.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Looks like a solid action system, far more engaging than the first game which I still want to finish before this lands.

I wanted to love NNK1 more, as the world and side content was so great. I want better side content but I think I really hated how much hand holding the game did and I wasnt a big fan of the combat.

I really hope its not just me not liking the style, and more of a flaw that is fixed in NNK2

Eumi

I loved the first game despite its many many flaws, so if this fixes what is probably the biggest one then I'm so in.

Hoo-doo

Banned

FIGHT ME HATERS.

I'm with you. Fuck the people that say NNK1's combat was garbage. Bunch of troglodytes.

Top Bottom