• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni No Kuni II Rated for Switch

Jooxed

Gold Member

The Entertainment Software Rating Board has ratedNi no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom Prince’s Edition” for Switch.

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom first launched for PlayStation 4 and PC via Steam in March 2018. A Switch version has yet to be announced.

9jTCB3J.jpg

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
Don't know why it skipped Switch in the first place.
In terms of assets, the first one was easy to port to Switch considering it was originally a PS3 game. Second one was made for PS4 so no doubt it took some time to rework the assets to make them work on Switch.

Also, yeah they probably wanted to give Switch users time to play the first game.

I just finished the first Ni No Kuni on the Switch, this is great news as I would love to play it while the first one is still relatively fresh in my mind.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played it on the PS4 and loved it. Bought it on the PC (with all the DLC) and it's still amazing - especially in 21:9.

Will I triple dip for the Switch? Probably. One of my favorite RPGs of last gen.

Mistake

The atmosphere of Ni No Kuni 1 was nice, and the story was straight forward, but the AI drove me insane. It was much easier for me to keep track of things if one character was dead.

Is NNK2 any better?

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
The atmosphere of Ni No Kuni 1 was nice, and the story was straight forward, but the AI drove me insane. It was much easier for me to keep track of things if one character was dead.

Is NNK2 any better?
Combat is way better and I loved the kingdom building aspect making it a much better “gamey” experience but the first felt like a legitimate Ghibli film

MetalRain

I think the 1st game is the better "experience" but the 2nd is the better game.
I think this is spot on. Second one had more refined systems, but kind of failed to keep story interesting.

I wonder how Switch version will run, game didn't had great performance even on PC.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Played through the first game on Switch but did not like it. If this is reportedly not as good, I probably do not like this one either. So not actually interested.

sublimit

Banned
I prefered the story and characters of NNK1 but NNK2 had better combat. The only thing i hated was the RTS aspects.

The Switch version makes a lot of sense i hope it sells well.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ni no Kuni 2 was pretty decent game with gorgeous visuals and fun combat, the problem is the characters and story was pretty unmemorable. Lot of people give shit to Octopath for it disjointed story but at least in that game every character is fully developed, which I cant say the same about Ni no Kuni 2.

The bad news is that the second game is worse in every way
Thats not really true, the combat is vastly better than first game. People say first game was tougher but in my opinion the first game was harder for wrong reasons. Most of the time I had to babysit my party because for their incredibly dump AI rather concentrate on actual fight.

Last edited:
It was the general consensus here on gaf when it came out.

Story is hot garbage.
Hey i thought so too when I dropped it 3 hours in back in late 2018 but really grew to love it when I played during the covid lockdown a year ago, play it on the highest diffculty that they added post launch and the combat starts to shine, the story isn't "bad" per say especially if you factor in the added DLC side quests like the one about Tani's mother and the like, but it’s not like part 1 was especially good it just had a better premise, part 2 improves upon a LOT of the problems of part 1, IMO Level-5 needed better writers, they nailed down everything else including the premise and general character designs and themes but the needed A LOT more fleshing out, for example Leander and Queen Nerea's story is thematically fantastic but the execution leave a lot to be desired, here's hoping part 3 fid these problems.

Last edited:

hroerekr

A bit too late. But considering how Level 5 is in a critical situation, I hope they find success with this port.

The bad news is that the second game is worse in every way
Gameplay wise I found it a lot more enjoyable. Ninokuni 1 with the monsters taming system isn't on par imo.
However Ninokuni II is clearly less ambitious and with a lower production level. Still, the more adult protagonist was a great choice.

Bankai

It’s a really disappointing game unfortunately. Part 1 is so much more endearing.. also, gameplay was way cooler worth hè Pokémon-mechanic. Part 2 tried to do things differently, but failed in every way IMO.
Not a horrible game! But sooooo much weaker than part 1.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
We (son and I) still need to finish the first game. He mostly plays it, but I usually handle all the difficult battles because those can be pretty challenging for an 8 year old.

But the story, the Pokemon-like elements, and the Ghibli art / presentation are probably the key features we enjoy... so I'm not so sure that we'd get into this sequel if it moves away from all three.

MagnesG

Banned
It might be easier to recommend this to other JRPG lovers, but certainly not for informed casual as there are tons of other better JRPGs on Switch, NNK1 included.

Saber

Gold Member
Gonna be honest, you guys are not losing much skipping this game.

It has potential and is visually pretty sure, but the gameplay and mechanics(namelly the king build) falls really bad. When you finally notice is nothing but a grind time wasting stuff that doesn't serve much purpose.

The army battle is a neat idea, but the overused chibi models makes the entire experience lamish.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Played it on the PS4 and loved it. Bought it on the PC (with all the DLC) and it's still amazing - especially in 21:9.

Will I triple dip for the Switch? Probably. One of my favorite RPGs of last gen.
Same. I love the series. NNK1 was the first game to make me tear up in years. Very heartfelt and memorable game. Hope level 5 is still in business for nnk3.

Reactions: VCL

Impotaku

I found the 2nd game very grindy, i got my kingdom to s rank and yet i was grossly under levelled to complete the post game dlc quest stuff and it wasn't like i was rushing to the end you have to spend obscene amounts of time getting to the required levels to even remotely stand a chance. But saying that i still found the game a lot of fun i have enjoyed all 3 of them so far, Hoping at some point we'll have another journey to the same world again.

They probably want it on switch as thats where the huge playerbase is in japan at the moment. A lot of developers are now working to get loads of stuff on switch, it's getting to the point where i'm starting to struggle to keep up on releases as they keep sneaking out on amazon japan lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I disliked the game. It’s the only PS4 JRPG that I bought and haven’t finished. The game had wayyyy too many mechanics and it felt like a chore to play.

I wasn’t a big fan of the original Ni no Kuni though, sure it’s pretty but the game is a slog to play.

Top Bottom