• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom |OT| King of Higgledies

Shouta

I've sunk some hours into the game and my impression is that it's really polished and the game works really well but has a lot of the usual Level 5-ness going on. The game is really easy unless you go out of your way to take on super strong enemies. That's fine but it's usually on the extreme end of difficulty when you're doing that. There's really nice in-between. Story is pretty standard fare so far and enjoyable for what it is. However, I really wish they'd bake more character development into the story and spend a bit more time just building it up. There's a bit of development in some of the sidequests, which is great and much more than most L5 games do, but it needs to be part of the tale to make it more meaningful. The side characters are pretty developed in their associated quests though, which is just weird.

Questing, Kingdom building, army battles, and a lot of the other stuff is really nice though, just what I'd expect from them. They should let you do some of the research offline though.

TFGB

Got the Plat earlier and loved it.

I agree with the above though that needing to keep the game running to build your kingdom was a bit of a bane, especially as it made my PS4 Pro’s fans run at quite a constant accelerated speed. :/

Countless hours were spent idling to get my Kingdom levelled up.

It plays and looks glorious though. I was using 4K mode and only had a couple of stutters. Roll on Dragon Quest XI!

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Well, finished the game and didn't enjoy it...

Just really bored with the bog-standard story. It was pretty obvious what it was going to be like after the first city. Get allies and beat the bad guy. I think if a game hints at a story that aims for kids, I really should skip it.
Well i'm sorry to hear that. But i think both Ni no Kuni games aimed to create a story that would be enjoyable by both adults and children alike (just like a studio Ghibli movie). I can't really comment on the story of this game yet since i'm still not even halfway through but the first Ni no kuni really managed to achieve that and from what i've watched so far NNK2 follows on its footsteps.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Well i'm sorry to hear that. But i think both Ni no Kuni games aimed to create a story that would be enjoyable by both adults and children alike (just like a studio Ghibli movie). I can't really comment on the story of this game yet since i'm still not even halfway through but the first Ni no kuni really managed to achieve that and from what i've watched so far NNK2 follows on its footsteps.
Well, I think even kid's movies contain a lot of thought provoking moments and plot twist. Zootopia is a good example of that if you watched it.

I made another comment about how I get bored reading the dialogue without voice, but I think it's just that the dialogue is really straightforward compared to a game like Yakuza. In Yakuza, conversations are sometimes completely wacko that it's always interesting. I guess I just didn't feel it in Ni No Kuni 2.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm 30h hours in to the game and I just reached
Broadleaf
and god damn this game is absolutely gorgeous. One thing I wish for this game is to have more full motion cutscenes like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 did, this game's visuals kills for that. Other than that I'm really liking the game so far.

Last edited:

nowhat

In Yakuza, conversations are sometimes completely wacko that it's always interesting. I guess I just didn't feel it in Ni No Kuni 2.
TBH, Yakuza is about Japanese gangsters, set in (at least somewhat) the world we live in. Ni no Kuni 2 has talking mice. So I think it's somewhat inevitable they're different both tonally and in content.

sublimit

Banned
Broadleaf
and god damn this game is absolutely gorgeous. One thing I wish for this game is to have more full motion cutscenes like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 did, this game's visuals kills for that. Other than that I'm really liking the game so far.
Tbh i would have prefered it if it had traditional animated cutscenes made by Ghibli themselves like the first NNK had.

sublimit

Banned
Are there really none animated cutscenes for this one?
The animated cutscenes use the in-game 3D models. They are not traditional 2D animations like they were in the first game.

They still look good though and they are more in-line with the game's overall art style. As much as i loved the Ghibli animations in the first game sometimes they kinda broke my immersion because they were made in a different way than the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The animated cutscenes use the in-game 3D models. They are not traditional 2D animations like they were in the first game.
As much as I missed the 2D animation, the full 3D motion cutscenes were still gorgeous and I wish there was more of the them.

Broadleaf

How

I mean, I'm 30h in and I'm on the final chapter, and I'm not rushing at all. I'm doing most of the errands and I have a level 4 kingdom. Are you exploring a lot?

llien

Beautiful OT!

I see it has PG12 rating.
Is it really too bad to play with a 6 years old?

Last edited:

Terce

Beautiful OT!

If you're alright with the hack 'n slash combat and violence being a big part of the game then sure feel free. I've been avoiding it in front of my impressionable young ones because even in it's cartoonish manner, it's still an inherently violent game

nowhat

Beautiful OT!

In my opinion no, especially "with". There are fights, but it's all very cartoony and the plot in general is very... sweet, for lack of a better word.

I think the rating makes more sense when it comes to playing by yourself. Yes, it is easy by JRPG standards, but it's still a JRPG. There are still quite a few mechanics to master and someone not familiar with the genre may struggle with it initially.

Danjin44

How

I mean, I'm 30h in and I'm on the final chapter, and I'm not rushing at all. I'm doing most of the errands and I have a level 4 kingdom. Are you exploring a lot?
I'm, trying find the Higgledies and the dream doors and I do lot of skirmishes to level up my troops.

If you were OK with Wind Waker and Okami's easy difficulty then this game's difficulty won't bother you much. If you're looking for a challenge this game isn't it.

I'm like 20 hours in and I must say that I'm not liking it overall. I guess that what I'm about to list could improve before the end BUT if I'm 20 hours in and it's like this no amount of improvement can save it. 20 hours is way too much already.

Story is terribly bland and uninspired.
Characters have no development whatsoever.
Game is EASY to a fault, just smash the attack button.
The change between graphic and character style does not work, it's totally unnecessary.
Voice acting is minimal, for a game of this caliber I would've expected way more.
Side quests are fetch-tastic, no interesting stuff.
Kingdom building is just addictive grind, no designing of your kingdom is actually possible. It's grind to make an easy game easier.
The army mini game is OKish.
The game is almost completely LINEAR so far 20 hours in.
The most unforgivable thing is that it does not really reward exploring since I got into caves "I wasn't supposed to be in yet" and there was NOTHING. When you got the quest you go back and then the enemy appears.

So, what's to like in this game?

sublimit

Banned
Ok there's something i can't figure out. If for example a skirmish says that you have to be level 19 does it mean the level of your troops or your level in the main game?

Last edited:

Shouta

Only thing stopping me from buying this is how easy it is, according to reviews. Any chance of a hard mode being patched in?

Maybe? I don't know if L5 has patched hard modes into their past games after release. If you avoid overleveling yourself or going nuts with kingdom stuff, it's not too easy. I wouldn't say it's hard either though.

Ok there's something i can't figure out. If for example a skirmish says that you have to be level 19 does it mean the level of your troops or your level in the main game?

I think level of your units in the Skirmish. There's a huge discrepancy early on butyYou can level them up pretty quick by going into one, battling and killing a few units and then backing out.

sublimit

Banned
I think level of your units in the Skirmish. There's a huge discrepancy early on butyYou can level them up pretty quick by going into one, battling and killing a few units and then backing out.

Sorry but i don't understand. Lets say for example that my units are between level 6-10 and the enemy units are level 19-22. Do i stand a chance? Also is there another way to level up my units besides winning skirmishes?

Shouta

Sorry but i don't understand. Lets say for example that my units are between level 6-10 and the enemy units are level 19-22. Do i stand a chance? Also is there another way to level up my units besides winning skirmishes?

You'd probably beat a few units but you'd run out of resources before the end of the map.

As I just said, you can level your units by going into a map and defeating a few enemy units. Your units will level up after they defeat them. Exit out of the Skirmish and restart it with your leveled up units, You'll have stronger units and a full load of Might or so to take on the map.

sublimit

Banned
You'd probably beat a few units but you'd run out of resources before the end of the map.

As I just said, you can level your units by going into a map and defeating a few enemy units. Your units will level up after they defeat them. Exit out of the Skirmish and restart it with your leveled up units, You'll have stronger units and a full load of Might or so to take on the map.

Ah ok now i understand,thanks! I didn't realized that my units could gain levels before a skirmish battle ends. Still i find this a very weird way to approach these battles. The peak in difficulty from very easy to almost impossible without offering you some in-between battles where you could level up your units (without having to re-enter skirmishes again and again) is very bizarre to me.

Shouta

Ah ok now i understand,thanks! I didn't realized that my units could gain levels before a skirmish battle ends. Still i find this a very weird way to approach these battles. The peak in difficulty from very easy to almost impossible without offering you some in-between battles where you could level up your units (without having to re-enter skirmishes again and again) is very bizarre to me.

There's probably a regular progression if you do the Skirmishes that are strewn about the countryside but it's really strange it's not baked into the story progression at all.

TFGB

Its low difficulty level is true if all you do is follow the story and don’t delve into the side quests, Dreamer Doors, Tainted Monsters etc. but if you’re not levelled up the tougher enemies will slaughter you, guaranteed and there’s no quick way to level up.

Unlike other JRPGs, I will say that I don’t recall ever suffering status ailments throughout the game and, if I did, I didn’t notice...nor did it hinder my fighting ability. The battle system, in that respect, makes weapon/armour/item choice pretty much obsolete. The only items you really need to take in to battle with you are for healing and revival.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

You also don't have to exit out. Even getting a Game Over keeps all levels you gained. So you can keep trying and getting stronger each attempt.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Beat the main story, and spent all of yesterday just going around doing post-game stuff for about 7 more hours. Damn this game has it's hooks in me.

I've got all 100 citizens, leveled up my kingdom to level 4, leveled up every building, completed about 90% of all the research. I've done over 150 side-quests. My characters are all around level 72.

Today I plan on mopping up a few of the achievements I'm missing (cook 50 different meals, make 50 different higgledies, get 2000 balls, etc) and try to tackle the first 50 tainted monsters, of which I have about 20 left. At this point I figure I'm not too far off from the platinum trophy so I might as well go for it.

58 hours in and I'm still not bored of this game.

kevm3

This is one of my favorite rpgs of this gen so far. Visually, this is exactly what I expected rpgs to look like 'in the future' during the SNES days. I'd love a new Chrono Trigger with this sort of art style. The battle system is simple but fun and no transitions into the battles except on the overworld helps eliminate tedium. This is definitely a must buy.

Danjin44

This is one of my favorite rpgs of this gen so far. Visually, this is exactly what I expected rpgs to look like 'in the future' during the SNES days. I'd love a new Chrono Trigger with this sort of art style. The battle system is simple but fun and no transitions into the battles except on the overworld helps eliminate tedium. This is definitely a must buy.
The game is great but I just wish they would add harder difficulty, because the combat can be really fun and satisfying which makes me want little more challenge from the game. they could easily patch one in later updates.

Neolombax

I'm about 35hrs in, just finished hydropolis...pretty sure I hit the 35hr mark due to sleeping on and off. Man I just wished that this game had more cutscenes and the dialogue was fully voiced.

Last edited:

Shouta

Finished the game a few days ago. Overall, a solid title and lots of content but it suffers the standard Level 5 problems like story being pretty thin and the game being too easy. The combat and equipment weren't tuned to play off each other either which is disappointing. Magic and ranged weren't particularly great for most of the game and there weren't that many skills to use which kept the combat a bit one-note on top of the game being fairly easy.

FStubbs

Plowing my way through so far. Thoughts as I'm about at the midgame:

- The game is mostly pretty easy. Except for skirmishes where I feel my armies aren't strong enough relative to the quests I'm getting.
- The only challenge I've had is when I put Bracken in my party. That being said, she's amazing to look at and a wrench wench done right. (Sorry Cindy)
- Definitely a step up over the first Ni no Kuni. The first one felt like an experience more than a game. This time Level 5 just buckled down and made a solid game.
- I miss Suikoden.
- Nice touch: The Layton music when you're
solving puzzles trying to become king.

scydrex

Finished the game, i liked the game. Like others have said very easy game, just hit smash button, skills, items and the higgledies. Did not use magic or level up the magic in any way. Did not feel the need to put the best equipment on my characters in any way. Sidequest fetch type, you have to get 3 items to recruit someone for your kingdom and got sick of it. The mini army game i did it a bit and got tired of it. The kingdom building i did advance it that was fine. The story fine it's a PG12 game... The music awesome, the combat feels good with the 60fps. Is a good game and worth to play, good JRPG. The average score in metacritic is what it deserve. The first one is better than this one.

sublimit

Banned
I lost 2+ hours of progress (don't ask how) and i paused playing it for a while because i just didn't want to go back and do all that all over again (it was basically that abyss dungeon and some other side stuff). But i do want to get back on it at some point.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Has there been any word on the story expansion being released as part of the season pass yet? There were a few trophies I missed and I've been thinking about going back to mop them up, but I'll probably just wait for the "extra dungeons, and additional story chapter" to do so.

Facegravy

Okay one question. I have no higgledys equip. Just Roland and Evan in party. Im controlling Roland. What is randomly healing me now and then?

kevm3

The game is great but I just wish they would add harder difficulty, because the combat can be really fun and satisfying which makes me want little more challenge from the game. they could easily patch one in later updates.

I found portions of the game quite difficult because I didn't spend much time leveling up and would be significantly underleveled. A higher difficulty setting would have helped though.

sublimit

Banned
Apparently L5 has released the first major update of the game adding hard and expert difficulty modes plus various other fixes. I can't post the full list now but you can check it on Gematsu.

B_Signal

the patch is out on PC too (just started downloading on steam

got to be honest, I'm in the camp that finds this boring. I'm going to go back to it now I've got Persona 5 out of the way, but I found it dull as fuck. I've heard it gets better though, I hope so. I'm finding it really hard to have any sympathy for the kid, I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough at a bunch of formally free bandits bending the knee to the entitled little prick.

Still, I'm optimistic :LOL:

Neil

Nice that they've added extra difficuties as the fans were really screaming about for that. Is it odd that we don't have any upcoming dlc information at this point though? I hate having a season pass and not knowing what i'm getting.

sublimit

Banned
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom free DLC ‘Adventure Pack’ launches August 9, story expansions launch this winter and early 2019
https://gematsu.com/2018/07/ni-no-k...-expansions-launch-this-winter-and-early-2019
NnK2_07-26-18.jpg

A free “Adventuer Pack” add-on for Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom will launch on August 9, followed by the two larger add-ons that are part of the Season Pass later this winter and in early 2019, publisher Bandai Namco and developer Level-5 announced.

Here is an overview of each add-on, via Bandai Namco:

• Adventure Pack (free) – The Adventure Pack provides new challenges for experienced players. It adds additional floors to the Faraway Forest cave, upon clearing, players will be rewarded with new costumes for Evan and other characters. Players will have the opportunity to challenge themselves with even stronger new bosses: Blackhart and Zeta. Additional quests will be unlocked after completing the story and unique rewards can be acquired.
  • Season Pass DLC #1 – Available this winter, this DLC will feature a brand new enigmatic dungeon for players to explore. Evan and friends will plumb the depths of this cryptic dungeon facing increasingly stronger enemies while trying to reach its deepest levels. The journey will be difficult, but the reward will surely be worth it!
  • Season Pass DLC #2 – Expected to release early 2019, an additional story expansion of Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom will be available full of exciting content. More details to be announced soon.

Last edited:

Danjin44

It's about time we found out what we are getting with the season pass. This has it faults but overal I enjoyed my time with this game and I hope this game get support as much as Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is getting.

Top Bottom