• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom |OT| King of Higgledies

sublimit

Banned
FUrATDj.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Release date: March 23 2018
Platforms: PS4/Microsoft Windows
Developer: Level-5
Publisher: Bandai Namco
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Review Thread

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WgLeB8H.jpg

Rediscover Another World
Re-enter the animated world of Ni no Kuni in the latest role-playing masterpiece developed by LEVEL-5. Explore a beautifully crafted world and experience the gripping story in an all-new RPG adventure. LEVEL-5 reunites with Yoshiyuki Momose on character design and music composed by Joe Hisaishi in the production of the next Ni no Kuni tale.

LEVEL-5's mastery of the RPG genre is combined with music composed by the renowned Joe Hisaishi and character designs by animation artist Yoshiyuki Momose (Studio Ghibli)

6bZiGVW.jpg

Players control Evan Pettiwhisker Tildrum, a young king who was usurped from his castle and sets out to reclaim his kingdom. While players can freely navigate Evan throughout the game's open world other characters can be controlled during battles against enemies. During these battles, players use magical abilities and elemental creatures known as "Higgledies", which are used to cast spells.
Set hundreds of years after the events of Wrath of the White Witch, Revenant Kingdom features the cat and mouse tribes, two warring factions in the town of Ding Dong Dell. During the events of the game, the mouse tribe performed a coup d'état, taking control of the kingdom. The story follows Evan Pettiwhisker Tildrum, a boy king of the cat tribe, who is usurped from his castle and sets out to reclaim his kingdom. He is aided by Roland, a visitor from another world, and Tani, the daughter of the boss of air pirates.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gameplay:
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom is a role-playing game played from a third-person perspective. Players complete quests—linear scenarios with set objectives—to progress through the story. Outside of quests, players can freely roam the open world, where they explore towns, villages, dungeons, and other dangerous places scattered throughout the world. Upon leaving a location, players enter the World Map, which can be used to select a destination; the overworld represents a diorama, and the characters are portrayed with a chibi-like design.

When players encounter enemies, they enter a battle system. Battles take place on an open battlefield, allowing players to freely roam around the area. During battles, players command a single human ally; all characters are manually moved around the battlefield. To fight enemies, players use melee attacks, magical abilities and "Higgledies". Higgledies are "spirits of hearts" which exist in several forms, and may represent elements. Players also use Higgledies to reach far areas, and to clear and explore dungeons.

In Revenant Kingdom, players have the ability to build and manage the kingdom, focusing on the arrangement of work-forces within the town.

Trailers:
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom Evan character trailer
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom 10 minutes of Tani gameplay
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom Light and Shadow

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Screenshots & Art:
xjliKj3.jpg

gD6DTqX.jpg

moq8dZW.jpg

rH4r0ou.jpg

0mUPu7i.jpg

XduU5NV.jpg

Thanks to Danjin44 for the title suggestion! :)

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome OT! Really looking forward to this game, it looks so good in action.

sublimit

Banned
Thanks man and sorry for any sloppiness this my first ever OT.

And now that i made this thread it's finally time to put the game in my PS4 and start playing. xD

RPGCrazied

SImple OT, nothing wrong with that. Least there is a place to talk about the game.

And the chibi characters on the world map looks so weird.

Stiler

The OT is fine, good job on it. Certainly better than I'd do lol.

Really looking forward to this game, loved the first one.

sublimit

Banned
SImple OT, nothing wrong with that. Least there is a place to talk about the game.

And the chibi characters on the world map looks so weird.
Yup exactly i just wanted to make a simple thread were we can talk about the game.

Did you start playing it?And if so how do you find it so far compared to the first one? (other than the chibi characters d: )

RPGCrazied

Yup exactly i just wanted to make a simple thread were we can talk about the game.

Did you start playing it?And if so how do you find it so far compared to the first one? (other than the chibi characters d: )

No, get it tomorrow, saw them from the screenshots. lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The OT is great!!! I’m planning to rewatch spirited away before playing Ni no Kuni 2 to really get in to the mood.

Last edited:
Still undecided if I want to pick this up tomorrow since I'm neck deep in FFXV as well as in the midst of my Sea of Thieves trial. Arghh decisions..

Dunki

great OP. Thank you.

I have the game on Steam pre ordered and can not wait to play it. I am a bit sceptical about how the lack of voice acting will affect my enjoyment but otherwise this looks great from what I have seen.

cucuchu

Looking forward to jumping into this once I give am finished giving Sea of Thieves a few more hours of gameplay to get a bearing on how I feel about it. Original Ni No Kuni was my favorite RPG last generation so to hell with my backlog, this game takes priority!

sublimit

Banned
Played for an hour last night (i'm just outside the sewers) and although it's very early to have any solid opinion i really like it so far. I already like Evan as a character and i really feel for him. Combat is fun (definitely more fun than in the first game) although very easy so far. Can't wait to play more tonight.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Leafbook. Good lord.

great OP. Thank you.

I have the game on Steam pre ordered and can not wait to play it. I am a bit sceptical about how the lack of voice acting will affect my enjoyment but otherwise this looks great from what I have seen.

. . . there is voice acting.

RPGCrazied

I think he means how much. The first game had a ton in the first half, then virtually none in the latter half. Even important scenes got like one line voiced and the rest wasn't. I think one of the reviews I read says this game does it again.

Does this game have any CG?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
After watching the "demos" on Youtube before release, I had originally cancelled my pre-order because the kingdom building aspects seemed like they were required and pretty important. Turns out that doesn't really seem like it's the case so I'm going to pick this game up.

I'm not sure if I can devote as much time as I'd like to this with Far Cry 5 coming out next week, but at the very least it'll be a stark contrast when I decide to switch between them to shake things up over the next couple of weeks.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yes there is but its rare even in Story parts. At least what I got out of the first 1-2 hours I have seen. Also reviews mention it too.

I'm at Chapter 3 and the voice acting isn't "rare." It's reserved for all story cutscenes and a few interstitial story scenes. Not everything needs to be fully voiced (or can afford to be).

DryvBy

Solid OT. I really need to play this as I loved the first one but I'm swamped with RPGs right now. I have about 6 on my backlog right now just on PS4.

John Day

Nice little OT, thanks! I’m hoping to start playing tonight. Hope I finish it this time (combat was a deterrent for me with the first one sadly).

Danjin44

I finally able to put 2h in two the game and so far really liking the game and visual so damn gorgeous. But I have to say some of the text in the game can be really small.

Also,
Damn!!! Did the entire city just got nuked before roland transferred to another world!!?

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Played for an hour. Really like it so far, but some of the text is pretty dang tiny. Mostly the little boxes of them saying stuff when wandering around. Can barely read that. Dang old age!

I'm on a standard PS4, and sometimes I notice slight stuttering when rotating the camera. Not a big deal and I'm sure its not there on the pro. Maybe a 30fps lock would have been better.

Posted this in the review thread by mistake.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Played for an hour. Really like it so far, but some of the text is pretty dang tiny. Mostly the little boxes of them saying stuff when wandering around. Can barely read that. Dang old age!

I'm on a standard PS4, and sometimes I notice slight stuttering when rotating the camera. Not a big deal and I'm sure its not there on the pro. Maybe a 30fps lock would have been better.

Posted this in the review thread by mistake.

I haven't seen any stuttering on the PRO so you might be right.

RPGCrazied

I had minor stuttering during chapter 2 while rotating the camera.

I thought nothing of it until I read the comment.

I even had it in chapter 1, and in the sewers. It doesn't do it all the time, just sometimes. I'm sure I'll get over it. Thankfully its not all the time like some games, would drive me nuts.

iorek21

Two hours in and I'm really enjoying it!

But I gotta say, the combat is a little too easy...

Will it get any harder?

Danjin44

Two hours in and I'm really enjoying it!

But I gotta say, the combat is a little too easy...

Will it get any harder?
I heard from some reviewers that it does get harder later on but overall the game is little bit on easy side.

Kremzeek

I've reached Chapter 3, and oh wow the music in this game is just on another level. The music is really really great.

That said, the chibi in the overworld is completely unnecessary. The devs must have seen World of Final Fantasy and been like "let's do that for no reason."

iorek21

I'm still at the Kingmaker Trials, some observations:

- Art design in on spot, damn this game is pretty
- Combat gets pretty good after
you get captured by the sky pirates
- Soundtrack is great, but the individual tracks seem too short, which end up giving a repetitive feeling...

Spheyr

Banned
I had this preordered at BestBuy since I had some rewards certificates sitting around gathering dust, but instead of getting my digital download code my order got corrupted and I still don't have it. Going to have to pick a physical copy up on my way home from work tomorrow I guess (No sense stopping tonight, I'm going straight to bed to get up again at 4)

Danjin44

I just reached
Goldpaw
and good lord what a beautiful city and it looks so lively.

My wife bought it yesterday and is currently at chapter 3, liking the game a lot. Only thing she has complained about is the small text at times.

Danjin44

My wife bought it yesterday and is currently at chapter 3, liking the game a lot. Only thing she has complained about is the small text at times.
That's my only complain about the game. Some of the text can be so damn small.

Dunki

Yeah I just refunded the game. I think I will buy it on a sale but even as a huge JRPG lover this game does not gripe me even a bit while watching streams making sure I will not regret it for 60 Euro. Hopefully there will also be a difficult slider patch coming or some mod who knows but its not enough for me at the current state. I think I will have much more fun with Far Cry 5 which I have not played since 3. And then in Winter buying this during a price drop would be fine.

Hope everyone else will have fun with this game^^

FireCloud

Same here...the text pop-ups are way too small and vanish way too quickly. I can usually only make out part of what is being said.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying the game. I'm on chapter 3. It doesn't seem as good (in terms of story presentation) as the original but I so far I'm pleased with what I've played.

Velurian

Anyone else feel it soooooooo odd how they have made dialogue audio so partial.
I think I have had dialogues that at start have no audio, then audio comes, but with no ambient sounds. Its really all over the place.
Never seen anything like it. I hope they fix it.

Otherwise, I just got my town, so its early to judge the game, but i really like the art and music so far.
Battles are ok, but nothing to write home about.

Can you change the audio to japanese but have english sub? Anyone on Steam can confirm this? Already installed yesterday but plan to play this sunday

Top Bottom