• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom |OT| King of Higgledies

nowhat

Really liking it so far - the visual style is stunning and the music, well it's Joe Hisaishi, you know it's going to be great. Some of the typical JRPG limitations exist though, in world traversal there are invisible walls aplenty, and I kind of hoped to have voiced cutscenes all the time, but I suppose both come with the territory. Combat seems quite simplistic so far, but hopefully it opens up more later on.

My only actual complaint so far is that the music, as awesome as it is, can be a bit tone-deaf at times. As in, I'm doing something absolutely mundane, and the music makes is seem like this should be the most exiting thing ever. A minor complaint for sure, it just feels a bit off at times.

sublimit

Banned
Anyone else feel it soooooooo odd how they have made dialogue audio so partial.
I think I have had dialogues that at start have no audio, then audio comes, but with no ambient sounds. Its really all over the place.
Never seen anything like it. I hope they fix it.
This also happened to me (except for the no ambient sounds thing),and yeah it does feel strange. Also as others have said the pop up text is way too small and what's even worse (especially for non-native English speakers like me) they don't stay too long in the screen so sometimes i can't read them all.
Other than that my only issue with the game is that the combat is way too easy.I'm still early in the game
(just entered the Wyvern's den)
though so i hope it gets at least a bit more challenging later on.

Art direction,music and story/character development are all very good but i do think the game would have benefited a lot if they gave it a bit more development time.The environments in the world map kinda feel a bit rushed to me.I don't mind the chibi characters but overall i prefer how the characters and world map looked in the first game. But still i think what the game aims to do, it does it pretty well. Can't wait to play more tonight!

Last edited:

nowhat

OK, so is it just me - performance (on a Pro, 4K mode) so far is mostly solid. But there are places like
Goldpaw
where it's all over the place. I'm not sure if it's the frame rate or frame pacing (waiting for DF to do their thing), but at least personally the difference is really quite stark. As this is not in combat it doesn't make the game unplayable by any means, it's just an aesthetic issue, but one I sure hope they'll patch at some point.

Last edited:

FireCloud

As someone suggested, I decreased the resolution to "Standard Definition" in the options and enabled HDR....Wow! The HDR implementation is very well done.

I'm on a Pro and saw some stuttering on the world map in 4K mode. Haven't noticed any at "Standard Definition" (1080p).

Also for those who have had issues with HDR being washed out...you might want to check your TVs color settings for HDR. I had been using some RGB setting since I thought that would give me the truest colors. Last night when I enabled HDR for NNK2 I also changed the color mode on my Sony 930D to Automatic....the colors are so vibrant now. I've been doing many encounters on the world map just to see the HDR effects during combat....I'm so overleveled now.

RPGCrazied

Stuttering seems to be getting worse, maybe my PS4 is dying. But the sand canyon level was stuttering so bad I had to stop playing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't experience that much stuttering on my PS4 pro. I'm playing in 1080p, maybe 4K resolution is the reason for stuttering.

This game visuals looks so damn good that it makes me wish it had more well choreographed cutscenes like in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

RPGCrazied

I'm on a standard PS4. They should have gave 60 fps to Pro users and 30fps to standard, probably would have been better.

sublimit

Banned
I'm playing on a PS4 Slim and i haven't noticed any stuttering so far. Which is strange because usually i'm pretty sensitive to that (it almost ruined my experience with Firewatch)

Last edited:

Danjin44

I can finally build my Kingdom and do some side quests and have to say some of those tainted monsters can be tough at times.

Amazing fucking game. So much different than the first. Yeah it’s a bit easy but who cares. The pacing and combat is so fucking good and satisfying. Plus it’s fucking beautiful.

Goldpaw’s great and all but as soon as I entered I immediately started thinking about the amount of twisted fucks out there that would start getting off to all of the female furries walking about 🤮

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Goldpaw’s great and all but as soon as I entered I immediately started thinking about the amount of twisted fucks out there that would start getting off to all of the female furries walking about 🤮
739687.jpg

Danjin44

Amazing fucking game. So much different than the first. Yeah it’s a bit easy but who cares. The pacing and combat is so fucking good and satisfying. Plus it’s fucking beautiful.
I also really like the combat and like Kingdom Hearts, in harder difficulty can make the combat shine even more. I hope just how Xenoblade got easier difficulty in a patch, Level 5 would also add harder difficulty.

Also does anybody know what we are getting later on in season pass?

nowhat

Is the story good ?
Chapter 4 at the moment, it's OK but hasn't really captivated me so far. I'm interested to see where it goes though. As a Studio Ghibli analogy (I know they haven't been involved with this one, at least not in the same capacity as the original game) think more Spirited Away than Princess Mononoke. While there are themes of deception and political play, it's still very lighthearted stuff so far. And the main character is idealistic to a fault.

I have to say though, it's kind of refreshing. The current trend in (J)RPGs seem to be that everything has to be bleak and serious. While that is fine (although somewhat cliched at times, especially with JRPGs), the world we live in is miserable enough. It's nice to play something more positive for a change.

Danjin44

I have to say some of the Dream door bosses can be tough. I was able to beat the regeluar enemies at Danger level 4 so I thought maybe I could also beat the boss too but nope, some his attacks takes big chunk of my HP.

iorek21

Sooooooo...

The plot has a huge emphasis in building your kingdom and you can only see it with the FF XV Pocket Edition Bobblehead view???

sublimit

Banned
Anyone else really loved the puzzles in the Kingmaker trials? They weren't too challenging or anything but i thought they were very fun and interesting. I actually thought they were a huge improvement over the puzzles from the Trials in the first game.
I hope there are more puzzles like that in the game although i doubt it.

I also loved how
they paid tribute to the first game's story and characters.

WaterAstro

Well, watching a bit of it, I think I'll like it more with its new combat style. The pokemon thing looked cool, but something about it felt boring.

sublimit

Banned
Well, watching a bit of it, I think I'll like it more with its new combat style. The pokemon thing looked cool, but something about it felt boring.
Having to level them up from level1 all over again whenever you upgraded them to a supposedly advanced version was definitely boring and tedious.

Neolombax

Only up to Ch.4 where you start building the kingdom. Story beats, in my opinion, seemed a bit rushed and have some pacing issues. Felt that the camaraderie between the main casts so far could be fleshed out a bit more. Gameplay wise, combat is really good. But the game generally is a bit on the easy side? I'm having no trouble with the main game bosses...at all. But there's always those tainted bosses which are far far harder. Loving the game so far. Eager to play more.

nowhat

Am I doing something wrong - I really can't get into the "skirmishes". I mean, I get the principle, unit type X is good against unit type Y, but bad against unit type Z. Just that when we eventually get to the action, the controls make it so imprecise it might as well be random. Also, while I can do quests/enemies above my current level (up to a point, it's a JRPG after all), it seems I cannot complete skirmishes that are quite a bit below my level. Any tips/pointers?

As a side note, to my surprise I've quite enjoyed the kingdom building. Usually not my type of gameplay at all, but it's quite relaxing here. An addition I don't mind (although it would be so cool to be able to walk about in your kingdom). The skirmishes though I could do without.

Ragnaroz

I have some problems with performance on PC. Whichever settings I pick, if my FPS is limited to 60 I get random drops into 30-40 pretty often. But, when I unlock the framerate I get steady 90 with occasional drops into 80 which are pretty much unnoticeable, but then the game uses 99% of my GPU all the time.

Danjin44

I tried yesterday to fight the first tainted monster you encounter in the game and got my ass handed lol.
I got my ass kicked when I got too cocky and thought I could handle the dream door boss at danger level 5.

Last edited:

John Day

Stuttering seems to be getting worse, maybe my PS4 is dying. But the sand canyon level was stuttering so bad I had to stop playing.

Are you playing the game from an external Hdd? I had that issue. Stuttered every fight at beginning and middle of it, and while cutscenes.

Researched on the net and realized it was that. Transfered the game to the system hdd and it solved it, smooth sail. Playing on base ps4. Also remembered noticing AC: Origins doing that too, will have it on mind with my games on the external hdd.

John Day

Going slow, i’m chapter 3 after the first skirmish. I’m loving the game! Not sure if to stick with Tani or Batu.

Also, this game has toooonnns of equipment drops. I just hope i don’t end up like in Too Human, opening the menu every minute to swap equipment!

Any idea where you get more outfits? Or is that DLC?

RPGCrazied

Are you playing the game from an external Hdd? I had that issue. Stuttered every fight at beginning and middle of it, and while cutscenes.

Researched on the net and realized it was that. Transfered the game to the system hdd and it solved it, smooth sail. Playing on base ps4. Also remembered noticing AC: Origins doing that too, will have it on mind with my games on the external hdd.

Yeah, its on the internal 500gb drive. I'm on the original fat PS4 base. The only other drive I have that is external is a usb one, but its years old and its not SATA or anything. Probably slower then the PS4's hard drive. Do USB flash drives work?

nowhat

Do USB flash drives work?
There's a size limit, quoting from the official PS page:
250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity
...and also it must be USB3. So unless your flash drive is particularly beefy, I doubt it'll do the trick.

On a completely unrelated note, I think I finally got the hang of skirmishes (as much as I dislike them), so chapter 5 here we go.

Danjin44

On a completely unrelated note, I think I finally got the hang of skirmishes (as much as I dislike them), so chapter 5 here we go.
Skirmishes are not as interesting as Kingdom building but they are not really pain in ass to do either, so I don't mind them.

Last edited:

John Day

Yeah, try deleting something on the main hdd and pass the game to that drive, doesn’t take more than 5 minutes. And check if there’s any.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, but 250GB minimum for external drives. So sorry, but no.

Boo. I'm pretty sure the problem is the unlocked framerate. That is never kind to base PS4. I bet if it was 30 would probably be much smoother. Don't know why the PS4 doesn't have a setting for you to force framerate locking.

EDIT: Oh screw it, I'm going to play. Turning the camera sensitivity down helped kinda. I'll just try not to turn the camera much because that's when I see it in places.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Once again Pro gets a standard mode to give smoother framerates, kinda like what Final Fantasy XV had with its lite mode, while the base users are stuck with framerate issues.

Last edited:

NahaNago

The stuttering is quite noticeable. I'm up to chapter 4 and I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing with all of the battle systems. Will probably go through the tutorial again since i typed this. I can't help but want a movie of this game just because of how colorful this game is. I do think it is weird that the ex president would be like okay lets help a kid build a kingdom .

Danjin44

I never experience that much stuttering in this game. The only time get little stuttering when I fast travel.

WaterAstro

I have to say that I didn't think no voiced dialogue would make me feel sleepy because I enjoy it in Yakuza, but something about it here makes it quite boring.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
About 30 hours in now, on chapter 7. I've been taking my time and doing a bunch of side quests, errands, and even a few skirmishes here and there. I'm having a blast with this game.

The music is fantastic but honestly I wish there were a bit more variety in the tracks. It seems there are basically 30 tracks in this game which is great but seems low for something this long. I mean, just by the law of averages I've listened to each track about an hour each now (although in reality it's worse since certain tracks like the main theme only play during the opening sequence, etc).

Other than that and a few small frame dips here and there, I don't have any complaints.

WaterAstro

Well, finished the game and didn't enjoy it...

Just really bored with the bog-standard story. It was pretty obvious what it was going to be like after the first city. Get allies and beat the bad guy. I think if a game hints at a story that aims for kids, I really should skip it.

Last edited:
I do think it is weird that the ex president would be like okay lets help a kid build a kingdom .

It's probably better not to think about this, I mean in a game where mice, cats and dogs talk I think a kid being king is one of the least strange things!

Top Bottom