• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni No Kuni II to be more adult-focused, biggest team at Level-5 working on it

Ydelnae

23469918581_ef2bef8d76_o.jpg

After being silent for almost a whole year about the game, Akihiro Hino (Level-5 president) shared a few details about Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom in an interview with IGN Japan.

Translation thanks to user BluWacky said:
How's development on Ni no Kuni 2 : Revenant Kingdom going?

We're working hard on it. It's so massive a project that I believe "Ni no Kuni" has the most people working on it at Level 5 right now.

The first game was pitched at parents and children to play together; how about this one?

The game's designed for one player only. Reviewing the first game, although the main character’s backstory and the content of the game was particularly aimed at adults, the visuals seemed a little childish. Even though the lead character is a young boy again this time, I've taken care to make sure the whole game has an adult feel. With regards to the world of the game, it will be easy for both adults and children to get involved, like a Ghibli anime.

Hino also answered questions about other Level-5 series and future titles, like Lady Layton, Inazuma Eleven Ares, and Megaton Mushashi. However, he did not mention when we would see Ni No Kuni 2 again. The game is not listed for an appearance at Tokyo Game Show 2016.

Source: IGN Japan

rackham

Very excited for this game. Hopefully it's not too tedious like the first game. Burned out over half way through.

Pachinko

Get rid of the animal husbandry and just make the battles a more traditional RPG and I'm 100% in. I don't need to catch stupid looking monsters outside of Pokemon ... and I don't even like Pokemon much. But man, them graphics !

I'm so excited for this. It's really the only thing going that can equal my FF XV hype.

If they pull off a more consistent story with a smoother battle system this could be a GOTY contender.

Though who's composing this time?

I'm super excited for this game, and loved the first one. I wish they would get rid of the ears though or change the way they look. Just kinda look tacked on atm

Ydelnae

Staff size is surprising

Well, it's not like Level-5 is developing any other console game right now (other than the port of Lady Layton and the potential Inazuma Elevel Ares & Megaton Mushashi console versions).

EDIT: Forgot about Snack World lol

Zerojul

It's one of my most anticipated titles by far. I was hoping for some tidbits and/or footage at TGS....
Oh well, take your sweet time and make us an awesome game, L5.

I'm so excited for this. It's really the only thing going that can equal my FF XV hype.

If they pull off a more consistent story with a smoother battle system this could be a GOTY contender.

I thought it was studio Ghibli that's composing the music.

I thought it was studio Ghibli that's composing the music.

Joe Hisashi did the first one and it's godly. Wasn't sure who was composing for this one though.

Edit: fantastic! That was actually my only real fear for this game, some kind of passable but bland mid tier level 5 soundtrack.

wmlk

Joe Hisaishi is composing this just as he did for NNK on DS. You're probably going to get filler tracks from other composers like Rei Kondoh for the first game.

squall23

It better have the most people working on it since it's their only console game. Although I admit I would love to see a Inazuma Eleven or Yokai Watch made by some giant team.

I'm always surprised at how many people have fond memories of NNK. For me, the story started out great but went steadily downhill. And that's not taking into account the absolutely dire PS3-only endgame. And then there's the awful battle system, with some of the worst character AI in any RPG I've played. I ended up getting so exasperated by it I just picked up three dinos which grow up to be pretty much unbeatable.

I have no good memories of this game save for the aesthetics. They have a LOT to improve on with the sequel.

Joe Hisaishi is composing this once again, just as he did for NNK on DS. You're probably going to get filler tracks from other composers like Rei Kondoh for the first game.

Great news, Hisaishi is a big part of the ghibli magic. Someone should make a Princess Mononoke game.

And I'm fine with filler as long as the main themes are top tier.

I hope a videogame writer isn't penning the story. Really looking forward to playing this. This generation is going to be very good to us who like (non-cutesy) Japan games. Now I just need more arcady and whacky experiments from Japan devs.

Also hoping to see mobile based Japanese devs move back to consoles + handhelds if these Japanese games do well in the Western world.

Qwyjibo

I bought the 1st game about a year ago for $10 and I still haven't played it. I really want to but I always end up starting another RPG (usually on 3DS) that takes over. SOON.

RDreamer

I really hope this can live up to the first. The first has a place in my heart along with a lot of other RPG classics.

DKHF

That doesn't mean it won't show up. Level-5 hasn't released a list of games they're showing at TGS. But even if they did a trailer could still be shown at Sony's conference since companies like to surprise especially for games that have been off the radar for a bit.

Top Bottom