• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

barugon

I preordered the Wizard's Edition through zavvi. From the sound of it, I shouldn't expect to see it too soon (I'm in the US). If general consensus is that you can still preorder the steelbook through gamestop, I'll get it as well- then I can actually play the game at launch.

Thoughts?

Aeana

That's the tone framing the other complaints.

It's worth noting that the reviewer seems to have enjoyed a wide variety of other RPGs, so take that as you will.

That's what I thought. I think it's important to point out what the reviewer actually said, because "old school RPG mechanics" is a positive to many. Clearly the reviewer thinks otherwise.

That's what I thought. I think it's important to point out what the reviewer actually said, because "old school RPG mechanics" is a positive to many. Clearly the reviewer thinks otherwise.

There's not really been much in the way of "old school RPGs" since Dragon Quest VIII, so I'm all for this.

Animekatt

Came back from GS. I was able to get the steelbook, but not without a hiccup. The guy that was at the counter was different from the one on the phone. He at first said that I couldn't get the steelbook until release, since there were specific directions to do so. He changed his mind after he saw how I was nice about it.

He told me they had about 47 of the books in. I forgot to ask how many had preordered, but I don't think it would be more than 20 at my store. So YMMV on if you could get the steelie early or not.

Here's a pic of the inside art:

jvC9ZDaFbEXsp.jpg

RPGCrazied

Came back from GS. I was able to get the steelbook, but not without a hiccup. The guy that was at the counter was different from the one on the phone. He at first said that I couldn't get the steelbook until release, since there were specific directions to do so. He changed his mind after he saw how I was nice about it.

He told me they had about 47 of the books in. I forgot to ask how many had preordered, but I don't think it would be more than 20 at my store. So YMMV on if you could get the steelie early or not.

Here's a pic of the inside art:

Nice. Did it have any shrink wrap or anything on it? I hope mine is dint free.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm debating which edition to get. :/ I'd like the book, but I already have it
in Japanese.

zeopower6

I am so excited for this game! I've been waiting for it since it was announced at a Level-5 event in Japan!

Cannot believe that it's coming in just a little over a week.

I thought that the demo was pretty nice for what it was (a simple introduction to the main battle system). Also keep in mind that it was a demo used at Gamescom, so a tutorial probably would have just eaten up at the timer when people played at that event.

Not sure if anyone has seen them, but apparently some European sites posted the evolutions of the preorder DLC familiars back when the game was announced to have a Wizard's Edition in the summer!

http://www.jeuxpro.fr/titre_news_Ni_no_Kuni__une_edition_collector_en_Europe_2084.html

Love them.

And as far as the title goes, I think it's kind of trying to pull a bit of a Shin Megami Tensei and brand a 'series' as Ni no Kuni if they ever decide to bring the mobile games or a sequel here. Any other title imo just doesn't have that ring to it.

I also made some avatars from the Ni no Kuni: Daibouken Monsters cards' bosses/Imajinn/Familiar images! A shame that this game disappeared in the last few months with Level-5 even taking down the official site for it and removing all the videos from YouTube. Hope you like them~

yRA2A.png
dF9gO.png
jMW6j.png
MIpv3.png
CvWxz.png
H1gKk.png

OUtVY.png
5W146.png
WlPmW.png
k3cnd.png
vZDH6.png

Het_Nkik

Finally got my Wizard Edition sorted out with Digital River. When I first ordered it my credit card had a different expiration date. The first time I called a couple of months back, they just gave me a ticket number and said they'd see what could be done. Called today to check and... it wasn't taken care of. But the lady on the phone this time was able to cancel my old order and put in a new order with my new card information. Was worried about this since obviously you can't order it anymore, but I got my new order confirmation e-mail and it's still for the Wizard Edtion and everything. So hopefully everything is gravy there.

Still really want that steelbook, though. Might pre-order from GameStop too and then return it or something and keep the steelbook.

YoungHav

Banned
I'm going to make this my first since Funal Fantasy IV on the DS. I can't resist the allure of Ghibli.
Looked back at my save files. I am more of a traditional JRPG guy, last one was FFXII back in '06. Non-traditional then I guess The World Ends w/You and Demon's/Dark Souls.

Sushigod7

<===========Took this one these get me all sorts of excited for the familiars.

Uggh the wait for the EU release and shipping to the US is going to be torture I don't know if I can do it.

Carnby

Finally got my Wizard Edition sorted out with Digital River. When I first ordered it my credit card had a different expiration date. The first time I called a couple of months back, they just gave me a ticket number and said they'd see what could be done. Called today to check and... it wasn't taken care of. But the lady on the phone this time was able to cancel my old order and put in a new order with my new card information. Was worried about this since obviously you can't order it anymore, but I got my new order confirmation e-mail and it's still for the Wizard Edtion and everything. So hopefully everything is gravy there.

Still really want that steelbook, though. Might pre-order from GameStop too and then return it or something and keep the steelbook.

I hope it works out for you.

zeopower6

Just a bit of an FYI, some of the Familiars from the card game may not be present in the game that's coming out next week but some of them were taken from the card game and placed in the PS3 game. (and obviously you can see that one of Mitey's evolutions was in the card game haha, and the pink one with the large ears was part of the All in One edition)

Daroka@GameFAQs posted some information about the Prima guide and good news! It's basically just like the Japanese Complete Guide that was released back when it came out in Japan! It's also a lot like the Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 Piggyback guides.

I thought I'd share some more information with everyone since it seems there are a lot of people wanting to know more.

It has a hard cover with an embossed logo, which has a bit of a gold shimmer to it.

The guide is 400 pages and styled very similarly to the Japanese version (I own the Japanese guide and did the comparison). It is printed on a thicker high quality paper, very similar to the Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 guides.

There is an art section that is 30 pages, which is my favorite part of the guide :)

Overall, it looks very similar to the Japanese guide, just in English, which is a good thing imo!

Oh, and since they're available, transparent DLC Familiar avatars whee~ (they're not perfect though since the original images were pretty small)

xXasu.png
WSxLa.png
yErf6.png

This fanart I found also makes a rather nice avatar. :)

qx6BI.png

I also made some avatars from the Ni no Kuni: Daibouken Monsters cards' bosses/Imajinn/Familiar images! A shame that this game disappeared in the last few months with Level-5 even taking down the official site for it and removing all the videos from YouTube. Hope you like them~

k3cnd.png

Holy crap! Is that a pirate cat?!! I'll be rocking him in the game as much as possible!

Sushigod7

Just a bit of an FYI, some of the Familiars from the card game may not be present in the game that's coming out next week but some of them were taken from the card game and placed in the PS3 game. (and obviously you can see that one of Mitey's evolutions was in the card game haha, and the pink one with the large ears was part of the All in One edition)

Daroka@GameFAQs posted some information about the Prima guide and good news! It's basically just like the Japanese Complete Guide that was released back when it came out in Japan! It's also a lot like the Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 Piggyback guides.

Wait wait so this is just like the spell book is that what he is saying? Japanese book as in spell book? I'll head over there and read more.

zeopower6

Wait wait so this is just like the spell book is that what he is saying? Japanese book as in spell book? I'll head over there and read more.

No. Japanese book as in the Japanese strategy guide.

http://www.ninokuni.jp/books/index.html

Holy crap! Is that a pirate cat?!! I'll be rocking him in the game as much as possible!

It looks like he is in the game! He's in the book at least and I've found him on a wiki and blog for the PS3 version in Japan. (Nyan &#12491;&#12515;&#12531; -> Nyaikeru &#12491;&#12515;&#12452;&#12465;&#12523; -> Nyaiga &#12491;&#12515;&#12452;&#12460;&#12540; / Nyakku &#12491;&#12515;&#12483;&#12463;)

TOfdv.jpg

So awesome!

It looks like he is in the game! He's in the book at least and I've found him on a wiki for the PS3 version in Japan. (Nyan &#12491;&#12515;&#12531; -> Nyaikeru &#12491;&#12515;&#12452;&#12465;&#12523; -> Nyaiga &#12491;&#12515;&#12452;&#12460;&#12540; / Nyakku &#12491;&#12515;&#12483;&#12463;)

Sweeeet. I'm currently fashioning an eye patch for my cat. Luckily, he's a good sport.

zeopower6

Maybe the good vibes from most reviews are getting people to buy it?

The only dud review so far seems to be Game Informer's 7/10 with the others averaging around 8 to 9 out of 10.

Sushigod7

No. Japanese book as in the Japanese strategy guide.

Thanks, his description of the guide and the talk over there seems pretty positive. Did anyone buy the JP version that can comment on the content like familiar info, spells etc? It must be pretty extensive since it's 400 pages.

Peagles

Oh, and since they're available, transparent DLC Familiar avatars whee~ (they're not perfect though since the original images were pretty small)

xXasu.png
WSxLa.png
yErf6.png

This fanart I found also makes a rather nice avatar. :)

qx6BI.png

Could you use the images in this PDF to do better ones? Not making a request at all, just wondering if it'd make your life easier :p

http://www.ninokuni.jp/books/pdf/ninokuni_imagen.pdf

If you hit zoom they don't lose much quality.

Servbot24

Banned
Can't afford a new game right now but eager to play this. From what I've seen I'm getting some charming MegaMan Legends, Tales of Symphonia kinds of vibes, which is just ugh, LOVE

Is there a picture gallery of all the familiars?

WSxLa.png

OMG it's like the rabbit from Ninja Turtles. MINE.

It's tempting to post these in the Pokemon XY thread, haha.

Do either of the pre-order familiars (for the U.S. at Amazon and Best Buy) contribute anything substantive to the game? Like, are they fun mechanic wise or pretty standard? Also - probably released as DLC in the future?

zeopower6

Do either of the pre-order familiars (for the U.S. at Amazon and Best Buy) contribute anything substantive to the game? Like, are they fun mechanic wise or pretty standard? Also - probably released as DLC in the future?

Because of their nature (exclusive to the West, made just for this overseas release), we don't really know much about them since no one has gotten to use them yet. However, I don't think they're necessary as DLC usually is, and are just a neat bonus for anyone who wanted to preorder from -insert store here-.

We also have another Western exclusive (well, not 100% on this) Familiar named Draggle that will be available to download free of charge on the PSN store as an apology for delaying the game in AU/EU. (so if you got the WE from there, I suggest getting the DLC when it is released in those regions) We don't know if NA will be getting that Familiar, though.

As for release in the future as paid DLC... who knows? The golden ones that came with the strategy guides (Complete and Starting Guide) in Japan were never release for download on PSN and the codes that are included with those guides are valid until 2038 or so I hear, but it could be different for this Western release.

Since we're talking DLC, the DS 'Ni no Kuni' had an interesting DLC/exclusive Imajinn from McDonalds back when that version came out.
7fLcg.jpg

It was a limited McDonalds colored bat! Wish he were a part of the PS3 release too.

And if anyone wants to sneak a peek at some other Familiars, they have a group of them in this image from the DS version (not all are in the PS3 version of course):
FPUuP.jpg

I kind of like how odd the designs are for some of the creatures, haha.

I'm pretty interested in this game, as I love Ghibli animations and this looks beautiful. Also, it's been over a decade since I last played a JRPG, so I'm due for one!

This will probably be the first JRPG I've played since the PS1.

Can't wait for my wizards edition to arrive! So psyched to Getty my hands on this... And all the extras we earned with the ninostarter!

Lucent

Can't wait for my wizards edition to arrive! So psyched to Getty my hands on this... And all the extras we earned with the ninostarter!

Same. I just hope they don't take long to ship them or at least use UPS.

And I took this familiar. I can't wait to see all the different kinds they have.

Top Bottom