• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni-Oh gameplay (PS4) - It's Dark Souls x Onimusha x Ninja Gaiden

omonimo

Banned
They already have a build running at 60fps and are targeting that for final release in 2016.

(I've heard from someone, but not confirmed, that it will be simultaneous market release)
Dammit. It's really impressive then, especially considered Bloodborne struggle to handle even a steady 30 fps. I'm surprise, I don't expected such graphic at 60 fps from Tecmo.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Dammit. It's really impressive then, especially considered Bloodborne struggle to handle even a steady 30 fps. I'm surprise, I don't expected such graphic at 60 fps from Tecmo.

From Software arent all that versed in going for 60fps in the early development process. Only 60fps game they have put out in modern age has been DS2 for current gen. Every major Team Ninja game has been 60fps to begin with, thus they can scale their visuals to still look good even taking a hit with 16ms limitations

I think its unfair to compare Team Ninja with From in that respect.

Bl@de

If players are connected online, they can revive other fallen players when they see a red glowing sword in the ground. This is where other players have died. (To battle against, they drop good loot)

What? So if you don't have PS+ you don't get singleplayer items? That would be stupid. I hope they don't tie it to PS+ or change that. It would make an unfair advantage.

ZhugeEX

Banned
What? So if you don't have PS+ you don't get singleplayer items? That would be stupid. I hope they don't tie it to PS+ or change that. It would make an unfair advantage.

That's not what it said haha. It said if you're connected online. Not if you have PS Plus.

Well yeah. Isn't he based on him? William Adams

Seems likely. Western/blonde + that era of Japan already got me suspecting that there may be a link to the Dutch East Asia Company.
I also noticed that the blonde woman in the original concept art looks like she's wearing a Dutch maid inspired hood.
1920x-1-330x200.jpg

GeoramA

Hopefully this is the game that gets Team Ninja back on track. Looks like a winner from what we've seen so far. The visuals and art are very impressive.

The video started really impressive, a serious and darker samurai game...

And then came Tinker Bell to ruin everything, totally out of place in a darker game like that.

Its the Ninja Gaiden's werewolves all over again, just terrible.

This just shot to the top of my most anticipated games list. I've been craving an Onimusha sequel, and while this isn't exactly what I had in mind, I think this will do nicely.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The game is specifically designed for trial and error. Developers expect players to retry segments multiple times.
William can swap between different weapons in real-time. He starts with the katana. Other weapons include a spear. Every weapon has their own traits to differentiate from the other.
A stamina meter limits the number of actions that can be preformed at a time.
Armor can be found and equipped. It customizes William's appearance.
Spiritual energy drops from fallen foes. These spirits can fortify William. (Hi, Dark Souls)
Shrines are scattered across the map. Players can access these points to level up William. (Just like Dark Souls, too)

If players are connected online, they can revive other fallen players when they see a red glowing sword in the ground. This is where other players have died. (To battle against, they drop good loot)

This happens in almost every Japanese character action game and God of War, too. And Onimusha.

Shrines were in Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden and surely some other games before Souls came around.

I'm not saying Souls didn't influence this game, because as more info comes out it's very clear that it did. But not everything is taken directly from Souls. There were action RPGs before 2009.

I just want to say I hate everyone calling it Dark Souls.

It's Onimusha dammnit, Onimusha came first.

I thought it was premature to call it Soulsy based on just the trailer, but the info coming out definitely suggests Souls was an important influence. I think the Onimusha/NG influences are also obvious, however.

ZhugeEX

Banned
This happens in almost every Japanese character action game and God of War, too. And Onimusha.

Shrines were in Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden and surely some other games before Souls came around.

I'm not saying Souls didn't influence this game, because as more info comes out it's very clear that it did. But not everything is taken directly from Souls. There were action RPGs before 2009.

I just copied and pasted this from someone else!

I thought it was premature to call it Soulsy based on just the trailer, but the info coming out definitely suggests Souls was an important influence. I think the Onimusha/NG influences are also obvious, however.

The important thing to consider is that it is a new IP influenced by all of those games, but does not seem to be a cheap pastiche of either of them. That in itself is really damn cool, not something you see every year.

A white guy becoming a samurai. I'd say it was the ultimate weeaboo fantasy if it wasn't based on history.

And totes makes more sense and is more realistic than having black people in fictitious Victorian era London full of werewolves, vampires, fleets of blimps, coffee water that makes you almost immortal, etc!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wow the essence looks exactly the same aesthetically as Ninja Gaiden.

This is Samurai Gaiden: Action RPG Edition.

Kyuur

Looks decent. The way the camera and targetting works is definitely Souls esque, but the actual combat seems closer to an action game.

Top Bottom