• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicki Minaj stole her Starship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuri

Banned
Missy-610x250.jpg

Picture: Pop Singer Nicki Minaj in happier days

Nicki Minaj's massive hit "Starships" is full-on deja vu to EDM star Clive Tanaka -- because it sounds pretty damn identical to a song he released a year before Nicki's ... and now he's suing her over it.

"Starships"

Stolen
Coincidence

Tanaka filed a federal suit in Chicago this week against Nicki, 3 writers, and the song's producer -- claiming copyright infringement on his 2011 tune ... "Neu Chicago."
Source: http://www.tmz.com/2013/09/12/nicki-minjaj-starships-lawsuit-clive-tanaka/2/#comments-anchor

Song by Tanaka

Minaj's personal interpretation?

i don't think she arranged or produced the instrumental track. probably has some lyric credits...

is there a direct sample, i don't really hear any, though i do hear a passing similarity.

CloudWolf

One on the left channel, one on the right channel.

https://soundcloud.com/clivetanaka/neu-starships

They are pretty much the same song.
Let's be real here. What are the chances that RedOne or whoever wrote the music for Starships has even heard of this Clive Tanaka guy? Astronomically small. This reminds me of when some Dutch radio DJ's were calling out Lady Gaga because Born This Way (or another single from that album, not sure) sounded a little bit like a song by the Dutch punk band De Heideroosjes. That obviously went nowhere and so will this. Tanaka is just some no name trying to get in the spotlights by suing a big name artist over a mild similarity.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Chillwave oldie right there. The melody is definitely in there but it's such a small piece of that clusterfuck of a song Starships.

Let's be real here. What are the chances that RedOne or whoever wrote the music for Starships has even heard of this Clive Tanaka guy? This reminds me of when some Dutch radio DJ's were calling out Lady Gaga because Born This Way (or another single from that album, not sure) sounded a little bit like a song by the Dutch punk band De Heideroosjes.

Clive had a release with Tall Corn Music which is a sister label/very closely associated with with Friends Of Friends who are very well known and respected in the abstract, instrumental hip-hop, electronic music world. I own this release and it's not something I just stumbled upon either, it had a decent amount of fanfare in the music blog world for a little bit.

I think any producer that makes the rounds to your typical music blogs would have come across Clive Tanaka without much digging.

At 1:40 it actually starts to sound similar! 1:40 in the Tanaka vid, I mean.

Yeah I thought it sounded similar at the beginning but at that point and 2:15 it's pretty clear that intentionally or not the songs are pretty close sounding in terms of notes, timing and vocal rhythms

gdt

Clive had a release with Tall Corn Music which is a sister label/very closely associated with with Friends Of Friends who are very well known and respected in the abstract, instrumental hip-hop, electronic music world. I own this release and it's not something I just stumbled upon either, it had a decent amount of fanfare in the music blog world for a little bit.

I think any producer that makes the rounds to your typical music blogs would have come across Clive Tanaka without much digging.

I don't own anything of his but I've heard of the guy.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Nice.

Just for reference, these are two songs that were found to have similarity enough to award damages in the past.

The Chiffons - He's So Fine
George Harrison - My Sweet Lord

Also can't forget:

Huey Lewis & the News - I Want A New Drug
Ray Parker, Jr. - Ghostbusters

Columbia Pictures was later the defendant in a copyright infringement lawsuit, also naming Parker which claimed "Ghostbusters" was too similar in musical structure to "I Want a New Drug," written and performed by Huey Lewis and the News (more specifically, the bass/guitar riff which runs through the song). "I Want a New Drug" was a U.S. top-ten hit earlier the same year and was extremely similar to "Pop Muzik" by M, a project by Robin Scott. The two parties settled out of court. Details of the settlement (specifically, that Columbia Pictures paid Lewis a settlement) were confidential until 2001, when Lewis commented on the payment in an episode of VH1's Behind the Music. Parker subsequently sued Lewis for breaching confidentiality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom