• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicki Minaj wax figure depicts her on all fours. Azealia Banks has beef with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Recently, Madame Tussauds unveiled their wax recreation of rap sensation and Meek Mill's bed nurse, Nicki Minaj from her Anaconda music video:

IlLg0OW.jpg

Not everyone was happy with the depiction of the rapper on all fours, however. Azealia Banks, in particular, had a problem with this. As usual, she took to Twitter to voice her concerns.

Wow, they finally give nicki minaj a wax figure and it's a statue of her bent over on all fours...... White people yo.... — AZEALIA BANKS (@AZEALIABANKS) August 12, 2015

As much as that woman has accomplished, they had to put her on all fours... Why not standing up with a mic in her hand ??? — AZEALIA BANKS (@AZEALIABANKS) August 12, 2015

I would complain and ask for a do-over. That's such underhanded shade — AZEALIA BANKS (@AZEALIABANKS) August 12, 2015

Martha Stewart's most iconic moment was when she went to jail but they didn't put her wax figure in a jail uniform... Come on y'all... — AZEALIA BANKS (@AZEALIABANKS) August 12, 2015

All ppl are gonna do is go up to that statue and take pictures shoving their crotch in her face and putting their crotch on her butt — AZEALIA BANKS (@AZEALIABANKS) August 12, 2015

Is this a rare moment of Azealia Banks having a legitimate gripe? I mean, no other pop star has been depicted so lewdly, you don't see Martha's wax figure in orange, and yeah, people are already abusing the figure:

QJ1z3T1.png
7XcFHEF.png

What think ye, GAF? Shady? Personally, I think it's shady that Madam Toussand thought Anaconda was good enough for a wax figure, but MTV couldn't even give her a Video of the Year nod.

J8sd0xR.gif

I'm more surprised that people are allowed to touch all over it, honestly. Like seriously dude is allowed to climb up on the table and pose for a doggy-style picture?!

Damerman

I agree with Banks. I'm not saying it was deliberate, but a bit more tact would have yielded a better pose for the statue.

EDIT: im changing my opinion to:"if nicki is fine with it, then banks needs to shut up."

As a wise twitter lady once said: Sexuality empowers some women, modesty empowers some women... Different things empower different women.

It's definnitely a case of banks misfiring. I really wish she would just put out music and have a better approach when speaking for the black community. Or that she didn't do it at all.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Nicki claims to love the figure, I think she referred to it as "iconic"

oaFGDCY.gif

Edit: If Nicki is fine with it then who am I to complain.

Still dying at dude doing the wax doll doggystyle tho.

Edit2: Tamala Jones is underrated.

Also in my original post when I said the girl in the purple pants isn't real...I totally didn't mean that in an offensive way, I swear!

ThisGuy

They could have showed her in a position of strength while keeping it sexy. Did she have any say in this at all?

It would be kind of bizarre to accuse someone of sexualizing you when a large part of your appeal is based on sexy music videos. Especially when the recreation of you is literally from a performance you put on.

I'm more surprised that people are allowed to touch all over it, honestly. Like seriously dude is allowed to climb up on the table and pose for a doggy-style picture?!

Yeah that's what surprised me too.

Kylie Minogue had a statue of her on her knees and elbows.

If you don't want to be associated with raunchy sex don't create a sexualised, raunchy pop video.

^For example

Also this. It's part of her most iconic video which she promoted. The Martha Stewart comparison is bad because the jail moment isn't really part of her work/legacy etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom