• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nicki Minaj wax figure depicts her on all fours. Azealia Banks has beef with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRojo

After watching her Anaconda video, it seems like that's actually the way she represents herself so I don't know. I don't live in America so my opinion could be somewhat ignorant in this regard but why would this statue be considered racist?

Kinyou

Uhhhhh... Yes my friend. It matters very much. They dont call drake the blackberry rapper for no reason. You think meek lost because drake is a better rapper?
I just think when it comes to lyrics what matters is what you write, and not if it's recorded in a basement or a 10 million dollar studio

CLEEK

This is such a non-event. Trying to blame this on 'white people' is hilarious.

Mostly because the celebs are actively involved in their Madam Tusadas replicas. They get measured, have reference photos taken in the selected position, and work closely with the modellers. There is zero change that Nicki Minaj didn't agree to this pose. It's the most famous pose from her most famous music video, ffs.

https://www.madametussauds.com/london/about/sculptorsblog/default.aspx
https://www.madametussauds.com/hollywood/about/behindthescenes.aspx

Dreez

I'm usually down for tha cause but Nicki does that pose in a lot of videos.

NEXT!!!

Edit: Azealia Banks just trying to get on Nicki's good side.

Man, all you hipsters hating on nicki because she puts out shitty pop music are really gonna discredit her rapping abilities?

i take offense to the word hipster my good person.

i like her music. i think she is a fine rapper. but i'm not gonna shout from the hills she's the best MC. maybe top female MC, but i haven't heard enough to make that claim yet.

the irony of disapproving of a woman's expression of her sexuality on her own terms by claiming she has internalized sexism... that disapproves of women expressing their sexuality on their own term

i mean the phrase "internalized sexism" can sometimes be used as a valid and relevant concept, but this is not such a case

i forgot to add a " /s"

Damerman

I just think what matters is what you write, and not if it's recorded in a basement or a 10 million dollar studio
The beat inspires the writing... You can't just write without digging your teeth into a beat... There are countless little nuances to a rapper's flow and rhythm that are attributed to the production side of things.

Damerman

i take offense to the word hipster my good person.

i like her music. i think she is a fine rapper. but i'm not gonna shout from the hills she's the best MC. maybe top female MC, but i haven't heard enough to make that claim yet.

i forgot to add a " /s"
i'm genuinely sorry if you take offense to being called a hipster.

I agree that she hasn't realized her full potential yet, but really all she needs to do is sit down and concentrate on a real hip hop album in the vain of Lauren hill but with her own quirky idiosyncrasies.

All, and i mean ALL male rappers out right now are wack as fuck... There has never been a time where "been there done that" is more relevant.

j. cole is the only one putting shit out that is different in subject matter and pacing, but even his typical male MC style is tired as fuck. I've already confessed that i don't like kendrick(blacker the berry was fire though).. West coast style rap is not my thing.

Nicki is the only one who has the potential to put something out that sounds like the road not taken.

dafuq is this guy doing?
7XcFHEF.png

My man is out there with Jorts on.

There's a pic of Minaj doing this pose in a studio still that the wax museum used as the example. It's in that eonline article q page back. She's quite q sight to see.

Also completely off topic

Tamala Jones is so damn fine. Brofist Royalan.

Also to be accurate, the Kylie Minogue wax figure that has popped up in the thread is the second one that is on display at the Australian branch. The first one at the main branch (London) is

madame-tussauds-london.jpg

Kylie Minogue had a statue of her on her knees and elbows.

If you don't want to be associated with raunchy sex don't create a sexualised, raunchy pop video.

806_DSCF0078.JPG

^For example

OK . . . which one is the original country and which one is the former prison colony? ;-)

So, let me get this straight.
There is a problem with Minaj in this pose, even though it's from her own body of work and she approved the wax figure.

So the problem is the pose?
Should we ban it?

And then there is the 'racist' angle, which I don't really see. Where did that come from? Is it her form of dress or what? What would cause a person to believe that? Is the sign 'blacks here only' cropped from the picture?

I was ready to give the wax house the benefit of the doubt, but after looking at some of their other work it's clear that there is a pattern of misrepresentation and abuse in their work.

Just look at this:

QYq8i6K.jpg

She's a public intellectual, but do they show her spreading information or learning? No, they show her in some sort of karate outfit as if her physical attributes are the only aspect of her worth celebrating.

Unfortunately while this is disgusting, it's hard to say it's disappointing when it's par for the course for Madame Tussauds.

I was ready to give the wax house the benefit of the doubt, but after looking at some of their other work it's clear that there is a pattern of misrepresentation and abuse in their work.

Just look at this:

QYq8i6K.jpg

She's a public intellectual, but do they show her spreading information or learning? No, they show her in some sort of karate outfit as if her physical attributes are the only aspect of her worth celebrating.

Unfortunately while this is disgusting, it's hard to say it's disappointing when it's par for the course for Madame Tussauds.

I think that's from Ghost lol

Just look at this:

QYq8i6K.jpg

Please tell me this is a troll post.

XAL

Just look at this:

QYq8i6K.jpg

Whoopie has worn shit like that in the past though.

They didn't misrepresent her or Nicki. Literally copied photographic reference for the likeness, pose, and wardrobe.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
QJ1z3T1.png

I was interested in this topic.....now my attention is elsewhere, time for some detective work.

tkscz

Yeah, her stuff is corny generic pop stuff, but anaconda is an iconic song and she killed it. If she put out a full on hip hop album, u really think there is a hip
Hop artist that could lyrically stand up to her
?

I can name a lot, but I'll just put up the GOAT female rapper ever

Nicki can't even hang in the shadows of Da Brat. Hell, Missy would run all over Nicki, come on man.

OT: If Nicki is happy with it, why bitch? Like what's already been posted, she's done this to white women too, so it isn't racist.

Just look at this:

QYq8i6K.jpg

Hilarious. This is the Whoopster, not Maya Angelou. If you are genuinely upset by this, I kindly ask you to reexamine your priorities.

Whhhhhaaaaat tthhhhhhhheeeeee fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck aaaaaaammmmm iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii rrrrrreeeeeeeeaaaaaaaddddddddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggg?!

So her verse on monster putting to shame kanye and jay-z means nothing? Her hit records? The fact that she is arguably the best Mc out now regardless of whether its male or female?

Lol

She definitely went HAM on monster and did shit all over everybody who was on the song. However Nicki isn't really that Nicki anymore. So right now Anaconda is probably her biggest moment in the spotlight.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Banks gonna Banks. There's nothing wrong with the statue, and AFAIK Mdm Tussaud isn't an employer with a Caucasian only personnel policy, so I find that ' white people yo ' remark pretty racist.
Add to that that Minaj and management have to sign off on this due to legal reasons and you come to realize that this is a classic case of Banks seeking attention, desperately trying to be relevant.

Oh my GAWD, I first saw this on my phone so didnt pay no mind but now that im seeing it on my laptop I have enlightened.

lord have MERCY at the girl in the pink pants

:thumbsup:

I stopped at that pic and kind of forgot what this thread was about. Whew.

obama.png
same thing I said

I agree with Azealia Banks' point but Nicki probably posed for the figure and if not at least approves of it, so who are we to judge.

Pink pants girl is the true hero of the story though god damn.

Damn, the girl in the first pic in the pink jeans is THICK

Who's the ting in the pink.

Id Wax her in a sekkle

hmmm

You guys have no shame.
Found his Insta account for you enjoy!

This thread just got so much more interesting than this talk about Nicki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom