• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NicoNico App launches on the Switch this week in Japan

Atheerios

characteristic5_b_sp.jpg

https://twitter.com/nico_nico_info/status/884940424388919297

NicoNico will be the first Nintendo Switch app, exclusive for Japan. Will be released later this week.

I'll take the standard video apps. Holding out hope for Rainway, but they're not saying whether the app was approved by Nintendo or not so I have enough doubts. Is there any word on what's actually on the table or being worked on?

PSGames

Man the Switch will be so sweet once it has media apps and a browser. Being able to just lift up the Switch while watching Netflix or something and do some task around the house will be awesome. Just dock it back when finished.

would need to connect to a wifi spot no?

Netflix requires an internet connection, yes...

However the mobile versions now have the option to download certain shows/movies to watch offline. Hopefully switch gets that feature. Really looking forward to being able to use the switch as a casual tablet as well as for games.

Brofield

I feel good that we might actually see Netflix/YouTube hit before the end of the summer now that NicoNico is coming (not that I know what it is, but I'm glad it's happening!)

Jachaos

It's like Youtube but in Japan. I remember you have to pay for a premium account to skip forward in a video or something, otherwise you have to wait for the video to reach the part you want to watch.

I don't know if it's still like that but if it is, I can't believe such a trash service still exists.

Finally! I really feel like this will be able to replicate like 75% of general tablet use once it has Netflix, YouTube and a web browser. That'll really help it's holiday sales potential (not that it needs it at this point).

Every NNID account works as it's own account on NicoNico BTW, so there might be some content to watch on there if you decide to use it. I think Nintendo owns part of the site, don't remember why they had a thing going on.

So you can set up a Japan profile and download this from any region's e-shop?

Would you have to navigate a Japanese language menu to set up a Nico nico account?

<コ:ミ<コ:ミ<コ:ミ<コ:ミ<コ:ミ<コ:ミ<コ:ミ

Jubenhimer

Well, it's a start. Once Netflix, YouTube, Crunchyroll, and hopefully Twitch and Rainway make it, the Switch will actually be a pretty competent tablet. It's already one of the most powerful on the market right now, plus it has the added benefit of an out-of the box TV out.

Top Bottom