• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

NIDHOGG releasing later this year, online play, divekicks, targeting Steam

May 14, 2008
Confirmed here: http://indiegames.com/2013/07/nidhogg_finally_releasing_this.html
And so in my queries I learned the following wonderful bits of information: NIDHOGG is slated to be released later this year, with hopes to be available through Steam. It's going to offer not only multiple stages, but a single-player component against AI fencers. The biggest surprise of all is the inclusion of an online multiplayer component, the details of which are still being worked out. Mark expressed his desire to include different weapons as well, such as a battle axe, "something with momentum," but that likely won't be seen with the initial release.

And saw a lot of refinements at EVO:
Previously, a standard game of NIDHOGG saw two fencers trying to get to their respective ends of a castle, fighting off endless versions of themselves via stabbing, sword-throwing, fisticuffs, and sometimes a smart and cowardly flee. While the premise is still largely the same, the addition of several new maneuvers throws most old strategies out the window. The most significant game-changer is the dive kick, executable at any time when in the air. Defenders can attempt to slice their opponent with proper spacing, but they no longer have an advantage with swift thrusting alone. In addition to the dive kick, players can also grab ledges, roll underneath opponents, crawl on the ground, and even wall jump. Hand-to-hand combat has become an intense race to snap the neck of one's opponent, resulting in a satisfying crackle of pixels that lie motionless on the floor.

From a visual standpoint, the game's minimal charm is retained, with additional detail sprinkled throughout. Cobwebs, discarded seating, and doored chambers line the halls of a decaying castle, the fiery endpoints of which are eternally ablazed with a rousing display of energy and anticipation. Many player animations have been refined or added, further bringing our yellow and orange adversaries into a believable and enjoyable presence. My favorite small touches are how their sabres wobble when repositioned and how a player lands on his face when falling from a tall step.

Don't know what NIDHOGG is? Set aside some time for the best half hour you will experience all month and possibly all millenium

#getthatdick

El Sloth

Banned
Dec 13, 2009
This thread smells!

I hope he makes a "classic" mode where the game plays like it's Alpha, just stabbing and sword throwing. The addition of new weapons will be pretty cool.

Gryph

May 23, 2013
Los Angeles
Nidhogg is great news. Although some of the cabinet novelty will be gone, I can't wait to play it at home.

Now if only they'd do the same for Killer Queen.

May 14, 2008
This thread smells!

I hope he makes a "classic" mode where the game plays like it's Alpha, just stabbing and sword throwing. The addition of new weapons will be pretty cool.

Too busy smelling instead of posting

2013 is a banner year for competitive/fighting games dang.

Deputy Dangle

Feb 12, 2012
I have been waiting for this game to get released for so long. Can't believe it's finally happening AND with online multiplayer!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Apr 23, 2010
Year of divekicks and getting that dick.

May 31, 2013
I'm officially on this like white on rice, this looks like so much fun! I'm surprised I haven't heard about it earlier!