• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata – You’re going to buy it, right? |Awareness Thread|

Status
Not open for further replies.
dpP1wsa.jpg

Disclaimer: This is NOT an OT. This is to build awareness for the game pre-release - nothing more.
(I just spent too much time on it.)

In the footsteps of the amazing Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 threads, I've decided to take it upon myself to see if we can't throw more money at this guy. (You know which one I'm talking about) With only around a month left before release, and hot on the tails of it going gold, NieR: Automata is still unfortunately flying under a lot of radars, and that's a damn shame.

So let's fix that, shall we?

Developer: Platinum Games
Publisher: Square Enix
Platforms: PS4 & PC
Release Date: Feb. 23rd, 2017 (JPN) | Mar. 7th, 2017 (NA) | Mar. 10th, 2017 (UK)
Technical Info: Native 900p 60FPS on PS4 & PS4 Slim | Native 1080p 60FPS on PS4 Pro
Demos: North America Demo | Europe Demo
Length: 25 Hours (True End), 55+ (Completionist)​

NieR: Automata Game Synopsis said:
The distant future…

Invaders from another world attack without warning, unleashing a new type of threat: weapons known as “machine lifeforms.” In the face of this insurmountable threat, mankind is driven from Earth and takes refuge on the Moon.

The Council of Humanity organizes a resistance of android soldiers in an effort to take back their planet. To break the deadlock, the Resistance deploys a new unit of android infantry: YoRHa.

In the forsaken wasteland below, the war between the machines and the androids rages on. A war that is soon to unveil the long-forgotten truth of this world...

fkrDjf6.jpg

What is NieR?

Sadly overlooked as one of the hidden gems of last generation, the original NieR released 7 years ago and told a story about a man trying to save his daughter from a seemingly incurable disease. Though it didn't release to critical acclaim, it resonated with many passionate fans who praise its story and music to this day. Directed by none other than Yoko Taro - yes, this guy - it shunned expectations and left a mark all its own, combining genres and shocking players with its raw storytelling. (Text Adventure Pun Intended)​

What is NieR: Automata?

Though you don't need to have played the original NieR to enjoy it, NieR Automata takes place thousands of years after Ending E of the original and is an "Open World Action RPG" in the same vein - though this time, Yoko Taro & his crew have backup from some of the best action game developers in the world: Platinum Games, and combined with the immense freedom given to the project, it seems like we're in for a treat.​

What if I want to play the original first?
If that's what you want to do, you should take a look at Amazon for your country, or a local game store to see if they have any used copies. Otherwise, you should do just fine catching up to speed with either - or both - of these:

Okay okay, but why should I buy NieR: Automata?

I could just say it's to give this guy more money & more chances to get his crazy stories out there and be done with it - but that wouldn't be giving it enough credit. Oh no - there's so much more going on here that I almost don't know where to get started. Here goes:

• Yoko Taro's Wild Ride: If you've already watched Clemp's analysis videos for the NieR and Drakengard series', or played the games yourself then you know what I'm talking about. Call him a mad genius, a tortured artist, a weirdo, whatever; Yoko Taro puts out some of the weirdest, most shocking & touching stories in video games out there today, and he does it while switching genres, camera angles, and subverting expectations at every opportunity. Ever wanted to see how an Action RPG can go from Boar Racing to Top Down Shooter to Side Scroller to Text Adventure and back to Action RPG again? Now you can.
  • Platinum, on the Top of their Game: As many critics have had a chance to point out from the PSN & Showfloor Demos, Platinum is hitting it out of the park this time. NieR: Automata combines smooth 60FPS gameplay inspired by Metal Gear Rising Reveangance & Bayonetta with the open world RPG systems of the original.
  • That Music: If you haven't heard the music of NieR before, please do yourself a favor and get on that. Don't worry, I'll wait. Okay, done? Well good, because Keiichi Okabe is back again, and it sounds like he's also on the top of his game.
  • Those Designs: Don't believe me? Take a look @ the Character section below. It's okay, you'll be able to pick that jaw off the floor eventually.
  • They Need It: This is the part where I get real and tell you why I was spurred to make this thread... They just need the support. Specifically, Yoko & his team do. Originally announced on December 5th, 2016, NieR: Automata once had a very well placed release date. That was until Nintendo game along and decided to release the Switch and a new Zelda game in the same week as Yoko Taro's wild ride: robo-edition. Now he's worrying about a helluva lot more than Persona. So yeah, if you've got the money to spend, do them a solid & show you care - there are so many worse ways to spend the rest that paycheck anyway.
  • Original NieR Remaster: According to a recent interview, if NieR: Automata sells enough copies, there's a possibility some form of remake/remaster of the original NieR will be made for modern consoles or PC!
If that's not enough to get you interested just yet, be sure to check out the GIF Gallery, Screenshots, & Trailers below!​

Fz8HRIa.jpg

AEJ5Ofk.png

(Click to View Album of Sweet GIFS like these - Credits go to their respective users)
hphsNAY.gif

5c7dIN7.gif

(Click to View Album)

(Click to Start Playlist)
u0nXUL1.jpg

Ready to Buy?
Great, glad to hear it! Here are some links to help you find the game in Canada, America, or the EU/UK.*
(*If there are other big stores/territories not included, please let me know)​

tuxfool

Banned
Isn't this like the third time this thread has been posted?

As to the question, only when they announce the PC release date.

jet1911

I'd probably buy it if it wasn't 80$ in Canada :/

Pretty sure the release date on PC is the same as on console.

This is another Nioh case for me.

What I mean is, (just like Nioh) I played the demo for about 10 minutes and stopped, since I was already sold on the game and wanted to wait.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Gonna have to wait till i get paid again, and after i fully explore NIOH.

Hoping the reception is good though, for both Platinum and Yoko Taro. Platinum needs a winner after having a rough patch for a while

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Modbot is going to be busy these next few weeks.

Ferrio

Banned
I so want to, but there's so many games right now and I'd rather wait for the PC release since I don't have a Pro.

Second time, and only because the first 'looked too much like an OT', so steps have been taken to emphasize the actual purpose of this thread. The OT is being made by mcz117chief.

This is intended to be an awareness-building thread like the Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 threads before it.

I just ended up spending too much time on it.

Weird that the last one got shut down. Didn't think it was an official game thread either.

Although, yeah, so hyped! Already pre-ordered. ;)

Gotta rent it. I love playing Platinum games but the last couple have been pretty meh. DEMO was good but still I'm cautious. Maybe I'll buy it if I end up liking it.

Jimrpg

Yes it's back!

Mods don't lock it. It's for people who want to discuss the game before it comes out and inform others who are unaware of the game!

Will buy on PC or PS4 later.

Paches

Sadly, this is the one that is taking the back burner for me while I play all the other games coming out at this time. If it was almost any other release window I would have bought it day 1 for sure.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Didn't like the demo. Haven't tended to like Platinum games, or these type of action games in general.

Philippo

Completely in since the announcement, NieR and then Drakengard blew my damn mind in so many ways (gameplay shifts, emotions, expectations, view of the world), Yoko Taro is a (crazy ass) genius if i ever saw one.
And this time he has a dreamteam behind him.

We're in for either one of the Games of the Generation, or another underrated gem, but still no less than special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom