• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata Anime Delays Future Episodes Indefinitely due to COVID

Draugoth

Gold Member
nier-automata-anime-esta-suspenso-por-tempo-indeterminado-084505.jpg

Nier: Automata's anime adaptation was one of the most anticipated new anime releases of the Winter 2023 anime schedule, and after a few episodes, the series has now announced that it will be delaying Episode 4 and onwards for the indefinite future! The anime taking on Square Enix's massively popular game was touting a much different experience than those fans who might have already seen play out in the game. The first few episodes started to tease the nuances of those changes from the game, but now it's going to be a bit longer before we get to see what comes next.

Nier: Automata Ver1.1a released its third episode this past weekend, and unfortunately, instead of revealing anything about what could be coming next, took to Twitter and its official website to deliver the unfortunate news. Episode 4 of the anime and beyond are now being delayed due to the impact of COVID-19 on the production schedule. A new potential release date for the new episodes have yet to be set, and the series will begin re-airing its first few episodes over the next few weeks in Japa

Are they making these in China? Japan recently opened up for the whole world, Im surprised they didn't like most just accept covid is another flu we get seasonally. A bit extreme after 3 years but ok I guess.

Last edited:

Doom85

Modern anime was a mistake

33013709_1483613199.8888_ZeVyTe_n.jpg

Hayao Miyazaki was a mistake.

Seriously, I’m pretty sure most otaku are more tolerant of others than Miyazaki is if he can’t even help himself from insulting his son in a public recording for MAKING A MOVIE. What an ass. I like some of his movies (SOME, and for the record, Tales of Earthsea was at least better than Ponyo, so maybe check your own quality, Mr. Miyazaki), but it‘s ironic when anime haters use his quotes and I’m like, “oh yes, quote the grumpy old man who can’t even treat his son right. You do realize that just makes all the other anime look better, right?”

At least Walt Disney didn’t seem to have a stick up his ass as far as I know.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Hayao Miyazaki was a mistake.

Seriously, I’m pretty sure most otaku are more tolerant of others than Miyazaki is if he can’t even help himself from insulting his son in a public recording for MAKING A MOVIE. What an ass. I like some of his movies (SOME, and for the record, Tales of Earthsea was at least better than Ponyo, so maybe check your own quality, Mr. Miyazaki), but it‘s ironic when anime haters use his quotes and I’m like, “oh yes, quote the grumpy old man who can’t even treat his son right. You do realize that just makes all the other anime look better, right?”

At least Walt Disney didn’t seem to have a stick up his ass as far as I know.

Sorry, but what a bunch of low IQ attention seeking menchildren in that video. I seriously can't understand how someone manages to watch more than 30 seconds of that crap.
They clearly have no idea how much effort is put into Ghibli's animations.

To add context to Miyazaki's statement regarding his son:

His son Goro never worked as a director before. He worked as a consultant for construction in designing parks.
He was a fan of the Earthsea books, and Suzuki invited him to share his ideas since the team working on the animation were having difficulties.
Suzuki saw potential in Goro after looking at his concept art and sketches, and asked him if he wanted to direct the film.

Miyazaki was opposed to that, and told him that directing a movie was not easy.
During the screening, he left one hour in and said something along the lines of "he shouldn't make a film based on his feelings", but he went back to watch the rest of the movie.
After that, he said that famous line of him not being yet an adult, but he also said that his film was "an honest one".

Miyazaki is not an asshole as people say. He just cares a lot about his profession and takes his work very seriously.
You can't achieve high quality results without being very critical and demanding.
Only zoomers think negativity and criticism are worthless, which is probably what prevents them from ever growing up.

Doom85

Sorry, but what a bunch of low IQ attention seeking menchildren in that video. I seriously can't understand how someone manages to watch more than 30 seconds of that crap.
They clearly have no idea how much effort is put into Ghibli's animations.

To add context to Miyazaki's statement regarding his son:

His son Goro never worked as a director before. He worked as a consultant for construction in designing parks.
He was a fan of the Earthsea books, and Suzuki invited him to share his ideas since the team working on the animation were having difficulties.
Suzuki saw potential in Goro after looking at his concept art and sketches, and asked him if he wanted to direct the film.

Miyazaki was opposed to that, and told him that directing a movie was not easy.
During the screening, he left one hour in and said something along the lines of "he shouldn't make a film based on his feelings", but he went back to watch the rest of the movie.
After that, he said that famous line of him not being yet an adult, but he also said that his film was "an honest one".

Miyazaki is not an asshole as people say. He just cares a lot about his profession and takes his work very seriously.
You can't achieve high quality results without being very critical and demanding.
Only zoomers think negativity and criticism are worthless, which is probably what prevents them from ever growing up.

They have an idea of what goes into Ghibli’s animation, but that doesn’t make a story and characters automatically engaging. So sorry they weren’t jerking off over every second of My Neighbor Totoro.

Seriously, imagine being so ignorant that you would think JOEY of all people wouldn’t know what goes into Ghibli’s animation (or Garnt for that matter). The dude has interviewed dozens of people in the industry in Japan, directors, animators, mangaka, light novel authors, etc. And their podcast is one of the most successful in modern day, and has gathered the attention of a lot of Japanese media and such. They don’t need attention, bitch they got ALL the attention focused on them. They’re just not afraid to give their honest feelings on Ghibli because they’re super popular and don’t care if they piss off the Ghibli simps.

Also, LMAO, “don’t make a film based on your feelings”, Miyazaki, you put your fucking “protect the environment“ message in so many of your films even the 90’s told you to calm down. Like, I actually read Howl’s Moving Castle, and there wasn’t any pro-environment message in it, but of course Miyazaki can’t help himself.

And regardless, it was an asshole thing to say. Goro was nearly 40 when he made that film. He was a fucking adult with a job. And the film, regardless of whether one likes it or not, was clearly a competent production. He qualifies as an adult regardless of what some petty person has to say. Miyazaki could have just kept his mouth shut during his smoke break (hell, he hadn’t even seen all the film at that point) and there’s no downplaying such a vicious insult to his son he said while cameras were on him. If he had apologized specifically for saying that, fair enough, but he did not. Also, don’t be talking about someone needing to grow up as you’re showing you’ve got a bad enough smoking problem you couldn’t even make it through your son’s first movie. Hey, normally I wouldn’t low blow like that, but Miyazaki swung first, you know?

Also, the fact that Miyazaki was opposed to Goro directing from day one means he couldn’t view Goro’s film without bias. Hell, even the author is off base, like okay she’s not happy with Goro changing stuff from the book, fair enough, but then she acts like Hayao would have been a better fit. Why? Maybe she should actually read Howl’s Moving Castle, Hayao changed a LOT from the book, so no, an Earthsea film might have been just as, if not more so, unfaithful.

Funny, Miyazaki himself screams “I refuse to grow up in some regards”. Can’t help but put the same message in tons of his films, blindly generalizes the rest of the industry, refused to go to the US to accept his Oscar because of the war in Iraq ([sarcasm]ah yes, I remember when the Oscars sponsored the War in Iraq. It was all over the news![/sarcasm]), constantly ”retires” but then comes back multiple times which feels like a cheap way to build hype for “his actual last film, no for real this time guys!”, he felt the need to make it clear he did not give a shit when Osamu Tezuka (The Godfather of manga himself) passed away, generalizes a lot of American films as promoting violence against innocents and being racist (seriously, read his views on the Lord of the Rings movies and Indiana Jones, they’re insane), thinks global warming is neat and looks forward to cities being submerged underwater, etc….wait, holy shit, what was that last one?! Ah yes, Miyazaki thinks potential deaths and the destruction of countless homes, jobs, etc. is something he’d like to see and he admits it!

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Huh, guess he wasn’t very critical or demanding when making Ponyo, huh?

Deez Nuts GIF

So criticism is good, unless it’s directed towards Ghibli and Miyazaki, who we all have to praise like mindless sheep without a single contrasting opinion?

Seriously, get over yourself. I like a few Ghibli films, but I don’t love everything they’ve done including a few Miyazaki directed. And I’m free to consider someone an ass for doing something. Lord knows Miyazaki seems to want people to think he’s an asshole, and only the most diehard Ghibli fanboys can’t see that. Guess what? Based on a few things he’s said, I also think that Alan Moore comes off as a pretentious prick. I like some of his comics, but that doesn’t make me obligated to like the guy himself. That’s just how reality works, sorry to make you realize that.

Last edited:
Covid still a thing?

So they managed to pump out 3 episodes after the fact the planet went on lock down but now we aren't now they putting blame on covid?

Last edited:

Sakura

Covid still a thing?

So they managed to pump out 3 episodes after the fact the planet went on lock down but now we aren't now they putting blame on covid?
In China it is kind of still a big deal (especially considering how hard the government cracks down/cracked down on it versus the west).
Lots of anime getting delayed now because of this.
Isekai Ojisan is a 13 episode series that starting airing in July, and we're still waiting on episode 13 for the same reason.

hinch7

It is a thing in China because their native vaccine sucked.
What? Lol. That's not the case. Its because they had very strict lockdowns (until recently) and hardly anyone had an immunity to Covid there. They've only just recently lifted restrictions because it was unsustainable for the people and they were starting to revolt.

They are just very late to the party..

Not seen the anime personally, but was interested. So that sucks.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
They have an idea of what goes into Ghibli’s animation, but that doesn’t make a story and characters automatically engaging. So sorry they weren’t jerking off over every second of My Neighbor Totoro.

Seriously, imagine being so ignorant that you would think JOEY of all people wouldn’t know what goes into Ghibli’s animation (or Garnt for that matter). The dude has interviewed dozens of people in the industry in Japan, directors, animators, mangaka, light novel authors, etc. And their podcast is one of the most successful in modern day, and has gathered the attention of a lot of Japanese media and such. They don’t need attention, bitch they got ALL the attention focused on them. They’re just not afraid to give their honest feelings on Ghibli because they’re super popular and don’t care if they piss off the Ghibli simps.

Also, LMAO, “don’t make a film based on your feelings”, Miyazaki, you put your fucking “protect the environment“ message in so many of your films even the 90’s told you to calm down. Like, I actually read Howl’s Moving Castle, and there wasn’t any pro-environment message in it, but of course Miyazaki can’t help himself.

And regardless, it was an asshole thing to say. Goro was nearly 40 when he made that film. He was a fucking adult with a job. And the film, regardless of whether one likes it or not, was clearly a competent production. He qualifies as an adult regardless of what some petty person has to say. Miyazaki could have just kept his mouth shut during his smoke break (hell, he hadn’t even seen all the film at that point) and there’s no downplaying such a vicious insult to his son he said while cameras were on him. If he had apologized specifically for saying that, fair enough, but he did not. Also, don’t be talking about someone needing to grow up as you’re showing you’ve got a bad enough smoking problem you couldn’t even make it through your son’s first movie. Hey, normally I wouldn’t low blow like that, but Miyazaki swung first, you know?

Also, the fact that Miyazaki was opposed to Goro directing from day one means he couldn’t view Goro’s film without bias. Hell, even the author is off base, like okay she’s not happy with Goro changing stuff from the book, fair enough, but then she acts like Hayao would have been a better fit. Why? Maybe she should actually read Howl’s Moving Castle, Hayao changed a LOT from the book, so no, an Earthsea film might have been just as, if not more so, unfaithful.

Funny, Miyazaki himself screams “I refuse to grow up in some regards”. Can’t help but put the same message in tons of his films, blindly generalizes the rest of the industry, refused to go to the US to accept his Oscar because of the war in Iraq ([sarcasm]ah yes, I remember when the Oscars sponsored the War in Iraq. It was all over the news![/sarcasm]), constantly ”retires” but then comes back multiple times which feels like a cheap way to build hype for “his actual last film, no for real this time guys!”, he felt the need to make it clear he did not give a shit when Osamu Tezuka (The Godfather of manga himself) passed away, generalizes a lot of American films as promoting violence against innocents and being racist (seriously, read his views on the Lord of the Rings movies and Indiana Jones, they’re insane), thinks global warming is neat and looks forward to cities being submerged underwater, etc….wait, holy shit, what was that last one?! Ah yes, Miyazaki thinks potential deaths and the destruction of countless homes, jobs, etc. is something he’d like to see and he admits it!

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Huh, guess he wasn’t very critical or demanding when making Ponyo, huh?

Deez Nuts GIF

So criticism is good, unless it’s directed towards Ghibli and Miyazaki, who we all have to praise like mindless sheep without a single contrasting opinion?

Seriously, get over yourself. I like a few Ghibli films, but I don’t love everything they’ve done including a few Miyazaki directed. And I’m free to consider someone an ass for doing something. Lord knows Miyazaki seems to want people to think he’s an asshole, and only the most diehard Ghibli fanboys can’t see that. Guess what? Based on a few things he’s said, I also think that Alan Moore comes off as a pretentious prick. I like some of his comics, but that doesn’t make me obligated to like the guy himself. That’s just how reality works, sorry to make you realize that.

I apologize on that dude, and the whole forums behalf, JOEY.

What? Lol. That's not the case. Its because they had very strict lockdowns (until recently) and hardly anyone had an immunity to Covid there. They've only just recently lifted restrictions because it was unsustainable for the people and they were starting to revolt.

They are just very late to the party..

Not seen the anime personally, but was interested. So that sucks.
Lockdowns work, but lockdowns were only ever viable for a short period of time. Issue is that China apparently did nothing else but lockdowns. Apparently the system was incapable of vaccinating the entire population because China doesn't actually have accurate population data. Local governments lie about their local population in order to secure funding. So when it comes time for vaccination records the math doesn't add up and the local governmens just fake things.

Also the lockdowns would have been more tolerable if people were actually given food to stay alive. Once again, the political system makes it impossible to get the food to the people who needs it. Chinese logistic appear shockingly bad. People wouldn't have revolted if they felt they had a choice in the mater.

Top Bottom