• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata - does it get better?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Don’t get me wrong, I love 2B. But A2 is where it’s truly at in my book.
Only problem I have with A2, is how people don't actually pay attention to her design and draw the black parts on her as if she's wearing clothes.
Even the artist that drew her for nier reincarnation fucked up and got her wearing shorts and a top; the only piece of fabric should be the part around her waist.

I never thought Nier Automata was as good as people made it out to be. And yes, platinumed the game, so I saw every ending. It just struggles with pacing and combat being totally unbalanced. The story is what everyone hypes up, but frankly, the ending is just silly and doesn't fit at all with the story that the game gives you for the first several endings. They didn't "earn" the twist ending that everyone praises . I played it when it came out, but have no desire to play again or to play any sequels

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Gameplay wise? No it does not. Story wise? Yes, it really does and it's pretty damn creative when you think about it. The replay thing and do this for ending c and and and whatever are not some tedious shit, they fit well into the lore and why you have to do them. Its not mindblowing as some would make you think but it's good shit.

Denton

I liked it, but it is not great in quite a few aspects - world looks ugly as hell, combat can get a bit stale, sidequests are mostly utter trash.

I did enjoy genre bending, atmosphere, music and was intrigued by the story. Plus 2B's ass was great.

Sentenza

I gave this game more than a fair chance, attempting to go back to it several times already.

I never stopped finding it excruciatingly boring to play. Even aesthetically is as dull as they get except for the hot waifu protagonist (which apparently took most of the budget and care of the team to model and animate).
I can't even appeal to the "extreme depth of the narrative" as a hook, as after giving up on the game for the Nth time I spoiled myself with few Youtube summaries... AND THAT made me conclude that I was absolutely fine getting the recap instead of having to bore myself into a coma-like state playing the game.
I wasn't that impressed with the plot twist(s) nor the "philosophical themes", frankly.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
A while ago I made it to the machine village and stopped, now I started again from the beginning and just made it back to the village, and got something to take to the resistance camp leader who gave me something to take back to the village... Sigh.

I'm not getting this game, combat is button mashing and dash. And lots of heals everywhere/cheap, honestly at the amusement park boss fight I did not even bother that much and just took the damage and healed. It's got nice music, 60fps, and gotta love 2B's... shoes. Girl's got style.

I'm guessing the story is what makes this game, but does the gameplay get better? I'm not looking forward to it honestly let alone doing multiple runs for the "real" ending.
Increase the difficulty for yourself, you will thank me later. Also, the story is a somber reminder of what Earths future will be down the road.

Last edited:

BlueAlpaca

*Large Recovery*

Well, I did it! Went back in and got endings A, B, C, D, E and two other useless ones by accident.

Can't say I'll go around recommending this game to anyone honestly but like Ico Or Shadow of the Colossus I don't regret playing it. God does this game have lots of problems and can be so boring and frustrating, yet once I got in the swing of things I kept getting back to it and playing for longer and longer sessions. it's the world, atmosphere, story. Not a great game to me, a mixed bag, but was worth it.

My favorite part is - spoiler alert - is 9S giving 2B a burial. I only got there after online help. I didn't know why one side quest didn't end, turns out I missed this other one - Emil's memories, which was really easy to miss. Why would I go to the shopping mall after buying something from him? The best moment in the game and you had to consult a guide or get lucky to experience it. Whatever. It was still great. Beautiful location with the Lunar Tears. Beautiful Music (best song in the game). Beautiful Story. Yes can be a bit cringe and melodramatic but dammit I liked it.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
A while ago I made it to the machine village and stopped, now I started again from the beginning and just made it back to the village, and got something to take to the resistance camp leader who gave me something to take back to the village... Sighv

I'm not getting this game, combat is button mashing and dash. And lots of heals everywhere/cheap, honestly at the amusement park boss fight I did not even bother that much and just took the damage and healed. It's got nice music, 60fps, and gotta love 2B's... shoes. Girl's got style.

I'm guessing the story is what makes this game, but does the gameplay get better? I'm not looking forward to it honestly let alone doing multiple runs for the "real" ending.
I have to agree on the combat. It's like this:

cat-type.gif

A.Romero

Something like that happened to me. I waited a long time to get it because I felt offended there was 0 official support on PC. Once it got cheap enough I got it and applied textures and other mods and started playing. Finished the first route and dropped it for a while, I hate backtracking. After a few months I decided to power through it and see if I was missing something. I ended up loving it. The concepts it touched on were great and meaningful in my opinion. At least conceptually it was up there with Kojima.

I agree technically is not a great game and the gameplay is not that great. I had to get help from a guide for some stuff (like a flying boss) but overall reflects what I generally think of Japanese game design: conceptually deep but shallow in other stuff.

Banging OST.

Nier 1 and 2 are masterpieces that really take advantage of being videogames to tell the story in a way that wouldn't be possible in any other medium.

Maybe you prefer soulless western shit like Horizon.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Brilliant game. If you don't appreciate it:
Your loss.

Much like the original Nier, its simply not for everyone. And that's the way it should be.

chaseroni

*Large Recovery*

Well, I did it! Went back in and got endings A, B, C, D, E and two other useless ones by accident.

Can't say I'll go around recommending this game to anyone honestly but like Ico Or Shadow of the Colossus I don't regret playing it. God does this game have lots of problems and can be so boring and frustrating, yet once I got in the swing of things I kept getting back to it and playing for longer and longer sessions. it's the world, atmosphere, story. Not a great game to me, a mixed bag, but was worth it.

My favorite part is - spoiler alert - is 9S giving 2B a burial. I only got there after online help. I didn't know why one side quest didn't end, turns out I missed this other one - Emil's memories, which was really easy to miss. Why would I go to the shopping mall after buying something from him? The best moment in the game and you had to consult a guide or get lucky to experience it. Whatever. It was still great. Beautiful location with the Lunar Tears. Beautiful Music (best song in the game). Beautiful Story. Yes can be a bit cringe and melodramatic but dammit I liked it.
Glad to hear you liked it by the end, I think it's a great story. Totally agreed on the brilliance of that scene you mentioned, the game is quite moving at times.
Can't wait to see Yoko Taro's next big game.

It's the game of the generation because it uses the medium in creative ways, it presents itself in ways that could not be replicated in any other medium - more than any game that's come out before or since. For this reason though it's not for everyone because most of it just goes over peoples heads.
Not enough was said about this in reviews, the only people that touched on it were a small handful of youtubers who actually got it.

Last edited:

Sygma

A while ago I made it to the machine village and stopped, now I started again from the beginning and just made it back to the village, and got something to take to the resistance camp leader who gave me something to take back to the village... Sigh.

Ahah, wait for it

It only gets worse the moment you enter Route B but C's climax is a sight to behold despite the beyond trash gameplay

Top Bottom