• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata now on GamePass

is ending E credits minigame possible to beat... i'm about to just youtube the ending
It's deliberately impossible starting about halfway through. You HAVE to accept the help you are offered. After you accept the help, you are given infinite lives and are guaranteed to clear it. The final choice you are offered after the true ending...that's up to you. It doesn't affect anything one way or the other.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Thanks for clearing up the multiple playthrough confusion.
I'm at the part where I've defeated an android at the castle.
How far am I from finished? I'm just kind of plowing through.

I have a lore question.
Androids are by definition robots (aka "machines") made to look like humans. Androids are completely synthetic. Then why do the androids in the game always refer to the machines as something completely distinct from what androids are. For example, the androids are surprised to hear "machines" speak and show emotion, even though they themselves (the androids) do constantly.

Last edited:

Terenty

Anyone proclaiming this game to have deep story and characters must be a kid or a teen... or a braindead adult.

This is the most cringe inducing anime shit i've ever played in my life.

Oh and the gameplay is complete crap too. Facts

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Anyone proclaiming this game to have deep story and characters must be a kid or a teen... or a braindead adult.

When the game opened with a fedora-tip worthy line about wanting to kill God, I kind of knew a rocky trail lay ahead. I'm probably about half-way through my A playthrough, but yeah, it's about as deep as an off-the-cuff rant at philosophy club by a stoner freshman at a state college. It's super silly honestly. It majors on peeking up the poofy mini-skirt of a ninja girl android cosplaying as a French maid so you can see her hiney cheeks when she climbs ladders and runs fast, and minors on anything like story depth. It's juvenile.

Why are we dressing our legion of multi-billion dollar military android warriors employed solely in the defense of Earth like sex dolls anyway? There's a question worth exploring.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Thanks for clearing up the multiple playthrough confusion.
I'm at the part where I've defeated an android at the castle.
How far am I from finished? I'm just kind of plowing through.

I have a lore question.
Androids are by definition robots (aka "machines") made to look like humans. Androids are completely synthetic. Then why do the androids in the game always refer to the machines as something completely distinct from what androids are. For example, the androids are surprised to hear "machines" speak and show emotion, even though they themselves (the androids) do constantly.

The answers to your questions will unfold as you keep playing. There are several "ah-ha" moments.

Why are we dressing our legion of multi-billion dollar military android warriors employed solely in the defense of Earth like sex dolls anyway? There's a question worth exploring.

Same as above.

BlueAlpaca

So I just started the game and made it through the 1 hour save point... Uh, did they update the game to make it easier? I felt like I should have died a few times. I am definitely not a skilled gamer. I had no idea what I was doing, didn't know how to dodge the boss/gear horizontal attack and got hit plenty of times with those energy balls (though sometimes it felt like I touched some and they didn't hurt me? ) and yet my health kept regenerating. There was moments where the game froze and turned to black and white and I thought that meant I was dead but now I'm not sure what it means....

Anyhow I'm glad I made it passed the first hour, I was worried about dying but it turned out well. I played on normal btw. The game feels great, smooth controls and combat. And yes the music is awesome.

manfestival

You could have worded this better but I get it. I remember the first Nier. People had such a hard on for the game. I personally viewed the game as dumpster fire that found so many ways to artificially extend its play. A part of me wants to buy into the hype and play this but the other part of me that experienced the first Nier tells me NO NO NO NO.

GHG

Gold Member
Will it come to PC Gamepass any time soon?

Unlikely. Unless they can get a deal with Square Enix to bring the game to the windows store.

It's pretty cheap to buy on places like CDKeys these days.

mcz117chief

When the game opened with a fedora-tip worthy line about wanting to kill God, I kind of knew a rocky trail lay ahead. I'm probably about half-way through my A playthrough, but yeah, it's about as deep as an off-the-cuff rant at philosophy club by a stoner freshman at a state college. It's super silly honestly. It majors on peeking up the poofy mini-skirt of a ninja girl android cosplaying as a French maid so you can see her hiney cheeks when she climbs ladders and runs fast, and minors on anything like story depth. It's juvenile.

That is exactly how I felt when I played the game. I got through it and it doesn't get any better. The gameplay is ok but, like you said, the story and the way the themes are explored is very shallow.

You could have worded this better but I get it. I remember the first Nier. People had such a hard on for the game. I personally viewed the game as dumpster fire that found so many ways to artificially extend its play. A part of me wants to buy into the hype and play this but the other part of me that experienced the first Nier tells me NO NO NO NO.

I really like the OG NieR but couldn't get into the second. I like the first one because of the father-daughter relationship and how you are trying to save the people you love, dig deeper into it and it falls apart but if you stay on the surface level it is enjoyable. The music is nice, the stories are heartwarming and especially the ending is very nice (or rather, you can choose a very happy ending).

Camreezie

As a lot of others are saying, really good game. Liked how the mod chips can make the game difficult in the way that you want, also god tier OST

Armorian

Banned
Played about 10 hours and got bored. Pseudo intellectual story. Weeb aesthetic. Not my thing.

Your opinion and all but you don't even know half of the story after ~10h.

It's not exactly related but I just got GamePass Ultimate on PC for 1USD (~4PLN) AGAIN, it just expired yesterday and I went to check the prices... I don't know if this is related to current pandemic or simple mistake but I love it :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Cr8707O.png

You can check if this works in europe, use Xbox (Beta) app on PC.

Kagey K

Banned
So I just started the game and made it through the 1 hour save point... Uh, did they update the game to make it easier? I felt like I should have died a few times. I am definitely not a skilled gamer. I had no idea what I was doing, didn't know how to dodge the boss/gear horizontal attack and got hit plenty of times with those energy balls (though sometimes it felt like I touched some and they didn't hurt me? ) and yet my health kept regenerating. There was moments where the game froze and turned to black and white and I thought that meant I was dead but now I'm not sure what it means....

Anyhow I'm glad I made it passed the first hour, I was worried about dying but it turned out well. I played on normal btw. The game feels great, smooth controls and combat. And yes the music is awesome.
My general tips for playing it on Xbox.

1. Change the controller setup, it is not conducive to the Xbox controller at all on default, there are a few recommended changes online, pick the one that suits you.

2. Abuse the dodge button. When you are not attacking always be pressing dodge. There is no punishment for it and it will save your ass, especially on that first boss.

3. Always be shooting. I mapped my robots shoot to RT and every time I was in a battle I never let it go. He can chip away a ton of health while you dodge and roll for position.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, ending D is lovely.

You really did not understand it then LOL.

At the end of Nier, everyone is going to die. For no good reason. Nothing is solved, Yonah is still dying from the Black Scrawl and Kaine is still on a path of nihilistic self-destruction. All the systems maintaining the Gestalt program are either destroyed or winding down, so humanity is over.

There is no happy ending.

mcz117chief

You really did not understand it then LOL.

At the end of Nier, everyone is going to die. For no good reason. Nothing is solved, Yonah is still dying from the Black Scrawl and Kaine is still on a path of nihilistic self-destruction. All the systems maintaining the Gestalt program are either destroyed or winding down, so humanity is over.

There is no happy ending.
I disagree LOL

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I did and they are trash, it isn't uncommon for authors to lose track of their own stories.

He didn't lose track though, Automata is a direct sequel (even along the samey time-line using the multi-verse layout as explained in Drakengard 3) with the critical bridge being the events of "The Fire Of Prometheus". A story that acts as a continuation of events in both the game as released, and ties into the future continuity Yoko described a decade ago in Grimoire Nier.

mcz117chief

He didn't lose track though, Automata is a direct sequel (even along the samey time-line using the multi-verse layout as explained in Drakengard 3) with the critical bridge being the events of "The Fire Of Prometheus". A story that acts as a continuation of events in both the game as released, and ties into the future continuity Yoko described a decade ago in Grimoire Nier.
Fire of Prometheus is literally the only one that I enjoyed, robots, androids and aliens praising the Lord singing Hallelujah as they went across the galaxy spreading the Gospel was absolutely hilarious and amazing at the same time.

Last edited:
Your opinion and all but you don't even know half of the story after ~10h.
YouTube filled me in on the rest. It’s not an uncommon thing to do.

I played 10 hours or so. Evaluated my thoughts. Investigated potential future interest based on YouTube analysis of the story. Surmised that my 10 hours was sufficient that I wasn’t missing out on anything worth my valuable time.

Now I guess I get fanboys at my back for not liking their precious game.

VAL0R

Banned
So I slogged through "B" and am playing "C", I got to the part where 2B has a
virus and can't walk right and you have to go get yourself reset or something
and it's so stinking obnoxious. Wow. Also, this game is ugly. Textures, environments. Freaking ugly. So why do I keep playing? For the glory of mankind. And boredom. And curiosity. Although I'm pretty sure I figured out the big end reveal -
Machines, trying to imitate humanity in every way, created the androids so that they could have an enemy with which to wage war, because without war they could never become like humans (and become as "gods")

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
So I slogged through "B" and am playing "C", I got to the part where 2B has a
virus and can't walk right and you have to go get yourself reset or something
and it's so stinking obnoxious. Wow. Also, this game is ugly. Textures, environments. Freaking ugly. So why do I keep playing? For the glory of mankind. And boredom. And curiosity. Although I'm pretty sure I figured out the big end reveal -
Machines, trying to imitate humanity in every way, created the androids so that they could have an enemy with which to wage war, because without war they could never become like humans (and become as "gods")

I didn't look at your spoilers since I'm only a few hours in. I just wanted to agree the game is ugly af and I HATE the dumb-looking character models with their atrocious movement animations and bad voice-acting. I'm not sold on it so far but as I said I'm barely passed the first save point, so hopefully something will click and I'll see why so many people think this game is so good.

VGEsoterica

Nice. Didn't see that. Looks like I know what my next game will be. Weirdly I wanted to play it on release but never actually bought it

Just played through A and now onto B ending and at the first save in the station it let's you choose to switch characters. I'm assuming to get B ending I have to play as 9S yes?

VAL0R

Banned
Just finished C. Not worth the extra time spent slogging through B. No real payoff besides a cool boss fight. Uninstalled. 7ish out of 10.

VertigoOA

Banned
Overrated anime shit with a fluffed up score and reception because it was once a PS4 exclusive.

It’s a c-tier game At best. Now Xbox players can see how full of shit Sony fanboys and the review industry is...

KiNeMz

Banned
Overrated anime shit with a fluffed up score and reception because it was once a PS4 exclusive.

It’s a c-tier game At best. Now Xbox players can see how full of shit Sony fanboys and the review industry is...
Sorry you had to waste your time in this thread.

GHG

Gold Member

That's why the reviews on Steam are shi...

Oh wait, they are 90% positive on Steam.

Sorry you have no taste.

Some serious haters in this thread. Imagine still being bitter about this not coming to Xbox at the time of release even though you get to play it for next to nothing now that it's on GamePass. Stick to halo and gears.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I love a good story. But this one sucks.

It doesn't, and very few games come close to its exploration of philosophical themes. Especially not without descending into pretension.
The persistent undercurrent of dark humor and the way the narrative embraces the specific nature of videogames elevates it way beyond most titles.

The great thing about Nier's story and construction is that its a game story, it isn't trying to ape literary or cinematic convention.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Sorry you have no taste.

Some serious haters in this thread. Imagine still being bitter about this not coming to Xbox at the time of release even though you get to play it for next to nothing now that it's on GamePass. Stick to halo and gears.

People come into the game with preconceived notions ready to hate it and try to find every reason to justify that hate. They are trolls, nothing more or less.

Sorry you have no taste.

People come into the game with preconceived notions ready to hate it and try to find every reason to justify that hate. They are trolls, nothing more or less.

The porting issue put me off the pc version.

Do either of you know if this works well?

NVM, found the comments section and looks like its still a mess.

Last edited:
My 'pre conceived notions' regarding the game were because people rave about it, calling it game of the year, generation, etc. I thought it was okay, nothing more. Not sure why anyone would go to the bother of getting the game, only to then go into it looking for reasons to hate it. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
My 'pre conceived notions' regarding the game were because people rave about it, calling it game of the year, generation, etc. I thought it was okay, nothing more. Not sure why anyone would go to the bother of getting the game, only to then go into it looking for reasons to hate it. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Check this thread. You see people who are hating on the game and hated it before they even played it, trying to justify their preconceived hateboners. It doesn't make sense, but that is just the reality of the situation.

Top Bottom