• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

I just finished E ending.

I didn't know you guys... I just didn't know!
Is there a support group for recovering NieR players around here? I'm feeling dizzy after all those gut and head punches.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm still trying to move on and I finished the game like 3 weeks ago lol.

That's with finishing persona 5 during that time as well.

schlew

Cool, a question I can ask without the use of spoiler tags!

Why is it that when I start the game up there's 3 save slots? And for whatever reason, using two. One is super early on in the game, and the other is always what my quick saves add to. Am I even able to change where the game quick saves?

Golnei

Cool, a question I can ask without the use of spoiler tags!

Why is it that when I start the game up there's 3 save slots? And for whatever reason, using two. One is super early on in the game, and the other is always what my quick saves add to. Am I even able to change where the game quick saves?

Quick save uses whatever slot you manually loaded or saved in last. Manual saves can be performed by opening up the (settings?) menu tab when in range of a save point - the only difference between that and a quick save is being able to choose what slot you use.
(Given that there's no autosaving, 'manual save' probably wasn't the best choice of words, but you get what I mean.)

schlew

Quick save uses whatever slot you manually loaded or saved in last. Manual saves can be performed by opening up the (settings?) menu tab when in range of a save point - the only difference between that and a quick save is being able to choose what slot you use.
(Given that there's no autosaving, 'manual save' probably wasn't the best choice of words, but you get what I mean.)

Oh wow, I had no idea about the manual saving you described. I was curious as to how people could load up saves to see the various endings. Thanks a ton.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Having finished with Route A I fear I had enough of this game already. I don't know, I consider myself a big fan of the first entry but there's something here that is not clicking with me. Maybe it's because everything feels a bit forced and a rehash of ideas and themes already seen in Nier 1, as if Yoko Taro run out of ideas before even starting to work on it. Now this would be easier to say for annual videogame series releases, it's a shock though that I had to wait 7 yrs for it and feeling absolutely the same with just a second entry in this franchise.

Hektor

Having finished with Route A I fear I had enough of this game already. I don't know I'm a big fan of the first entry but there's something here that is not clicking with me. Maybe it's because everything feels a bit forced and a rehash of ideas and themes already seen in Nier 1, as if Yoko Taro run out of ideas before even starting. Now this would be easier to say for annual videogame series releases, it's a shock though that I had to wait 7 yrs for it and still feel as if this series didn't need another entry after all is said and done.

I can totally understand where that impression is coming from, i very much felt and feared the same about it rehashing ideas through a lot of Route A, but i think a lot of that was delibarate.

I'd very much recommend that you force yourself to continue onwards, of course i can give no guarantee that it's gonna be worth your time, but i think at least you're going to change your opinion about the game being idealess.

m4st4

Just started playing this, really love the presentation and story so far but DAMN, the fact that I have to replay first hour or less (took me 40 minutes on Normal) because that first boss sucker punched me is the worst decision ever. No, I don't want a Dark Souls experience from the get-go and yes, I value my time and want to play this for the story first time around. My blood boils so much from that decision that I'll have to wait until tomorrow to attempt the prologue that has no save point, not even a quick save!

Edit: Any tips and tricks, spam R1?

Golnei

Don't forget you can always change the difficulty with no repercussions. Things get a lot fairer after the prologue, so if you really want to be sure you won't have to repeat it, consider going down to Easy for any sections you think might kill you, then switch it back once you're done.

m4st4

Don't forget you can always change the difficulty with no repercussions. Things get a lot fairer after the prologue, so if you really want to be sure you won't have to repeat it, consider going down to Easy for any sections you think might kill you, then switch it back once you're done.

Yeah I'll probably just switch to Easy for that section alone, should've done it when my brother told me to 'be careful now'. Say what? I said be caref-... oh, he just sucker punched you and you'll have to start the game all over again. :I

LotusHD

Banned
Just started playing this, really love the presentation and story so far but DAMN, the fact that I have to replay first hour or less (took me 40 minutes on Normal) because that first boss sucker punched me is the worst decision ever. No, I don't want a Dark Souls experience from the get-go and yes, I value my time and want to play this for the story first time around. My blood boils so much from that decision that I'll have to wait until tomorrow to attempt the prologue that has no save point, not even a quick save!

Edit: Any tips and tricks, spam R1?

Play on Easy, then change it back.

Grisby

Route C is pretty neat.
A2 has some fun animations going, although beast mode is kind of eeeehhhhhh.

Question what is the name of the song that plays when you're (route a spoiler)
storming the castle in the forest kingdom
?

LotusHD

Banned
Route C is pretty neat.
A2 has some fun animations going, although beast mode is kind of eeeehhhhhh.

Question what is the name of the song that plays when you're (route a spoiler)
storming the castle in the forest kingdom
?

B-Mode is great, just use chips that heal you when you attack/kill machines,
as well as Auto-Heal, and you're good to go.

And the song is literally called Forest Kingdom lmao

IfI buy those expansions to add more chips, do they automatically open up more slots? I just bought an 8+ but it doesnt look like i have more slots to add more chips

spiritfox

Having finished with Route A I fear I had enough of this game already. I don't know, I consider myself a big fan of the first entry but there's something here that is not clicking with me. Maybe it's because everything feels a bit forced and a rehash of ideas and themes already seen in Nier 1, as if Yoko Taro run out of ideas before even starting to work on it. Now this would be easier to say for annual videogame series releases, it's a shock though that I had to wait 7 yrs for it and feeling absolutely the same with just a second entry in this franchise.

Please don't make final judgement of a game's story after only playing 1/3 of it.

Grisby

B-Mode is great, just use chips that heal you when you attack/kill machines,
as well as Auto-Heal, and you're good to go.

And the song is literally called Forest Kingdom lmao
Yeah, I'll give that a go. Also, the song I was looking for was apparently
alien manifestation

Not a fan of important plot exposition during chaotic battles.
The aliens created these two anime guys for what purpose, and what happened to them? I was too busy dodging high kicks.

LotusHD

Banned
Not a fan of important plot exposition during chaotic battles.
The aliens created these two anime guys for what purpose, and what happened to them? I was too busy dodging high kicks.

Aliens created machines. Machines killed the aliens. Not Adam and Eve specifically, they were referring to machines as a whole, not themselves.

NieR made the March NPD Top 10

tumblr_olu1f0TdPl1w37294o5_r1_500.gif

chrono01

NieR made the March NPD Top 10

tumblr_olu1f0TdPl1w37294o5_r1_500.gif
\o/!

It really is amazing, seeing the game do so well, despite releasing during a time with so many heavy-hitters (Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, etc.). I always like to see nice sales for a title I enjoyed, but with Nier Automata it's even more special. Words can't describe how happy I am for Yoko Taro/Platinum/MONACA, they truly deserve it.

9S's English voice actor sounds so sexy. Tickles my parched ovaries.

And maybe I'm the only one, but was anyone else's favorite part of the game the brief storybook-esque interstitials? The writing in those segments was just so powerful.

Astrael

And maybe I'm the only one, but was anyone else's favorite part of the game the brief storybook-esque interstitials? The writing in those segments was just so powerful.

I loved those!
They're really the heart of Route B for me. There's something unsettling about the tone of childlike innocence in the storybook format telling the complex and foreboding themes they were introducing. Brings home the recurring motif of the machines naively attempting to imitate aspects of humanity and the inevitable failures that befall each of them.

Kvik

90% drop rates is super OP. Practically swimming in machine cores after farming in the desert arena. Keeping it as liquid asset though, fusing chips are expensive.

Roussow

I want to hear your best weapon set combos and any dope moves that come with them, I'm going through the entire thing for a second time, and I'm half way through route C, I can pretty much blow straight through this thing with minimal side quests to distract me, so give me some good sets to blow through the rest of this thing.

Leezard

I want to hear your best weapon set combos and any dope moves that come with them, I'm going through the entire thing for a second time, and I'm half way through route C, I can pretty much blow straight through this thing with minimal side quests to distract me, so give me some good sets to blow through the rest of this thing.

I ran with the cypress stick and Type-4O blade and crit chips for 2B/A2, and spear of the usurper and crit chips on 9S. Critical damage seems to be 5 times your normal damage so stacking a few crit chips on a weapon that increases your critical strike does a lot, especially when you use the consumable items that double your damage.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Austin walker, patrick klepek and alex navarro is gonna do a spoilercast soon. Can't wait. If there's someone in this industry who can analyse games in an articulate and deeply thoughtful manner it's Austin walker.

spiritfox

Austin walker, patrick klepek and alex navarro is gonna do a spoilercast soon. Can't wait. If there's someone in this industry who can analyse games in an articulate and deeply thoughtful manner it's Austin walker.

Oh so the secret guest is Alex. That's a guy who knows nihilism.

LotusHD

Banned

They weren't my absolute favorite, but they were really high up there. The ones for the
twins in particular
had me feeling some type of way...

Top Bottom