• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They weren't my absolute favorite, but they were really high up there. The ones for the
twins in particular
had me feeling some type of way...

I watched the full fantasy peasant playthrough of the game and while he presents like your typical cheesy youtuber (though he seems like a good guy overall) it was genuinely heartwarming to watch him have a little emotional breakdown during that part, because he's a
twin
himself and could relate in a painful way.

There is, though don't expect that you'll be doing any of that (or will need to).

I need to be more efficient at the very least.

There were times when my hands were telling me that I needed to be trying to be more effective at combat.

A few battles during my first run through had me holding my dualshock shoulder buttons with my index and middle fingers with one held down to shoot while the other was spamming R2 to dodge and my left index finger on standby to blast Pod special. It was all very chaotic to get used to for a second.

DirtyLarry

I just started playing the game.
I got about 45 minutes through and got
killed by the two saws on the long bridge.
Do I really need to start from the beginning of the game?

Hektor

Yes.

Put the difficulty on easy if you don't want to die again, the difficulty is adjustable at any time

LotusHD

Banned

Yep. Play on Normal/Easy if you aren't already in order to breeze through that section, then you can save normally.

DirtyLarry

Yes.

Put the difficulty on easy if you don't want to die again, the difficulty is adjustable at any time

Yep. Play on Normal/Easy if you aren't already in order to breeze through that section, then you can save normally.

Damn. That is kind of BS. I felt I was doing damn good up until that point and just seemed to get stuck in an impossible situation between both saws. Like it actually seemed intentional. Damn.

Back to Horizon Dawn for now.
Thanks.

DirtyLarry

It seems impossible, but dodging between the two saws lets you avoid damage.

When in doubt, dodge even if it looks physically impossible.
The strange thing is I was. I learned pretty early on dodging was essential to playing. I seriously felt like I got sucked into one of the saws as everything got wonky and I was stuck kicking it looked like. That is why I thought it was intentional, especially with the rewind like sequence once you die. Oh well. Lesson learned I think, but it really did come off more like I got fucked then I sucked. Maybe I will revisit it. I rented it which is why I am just checking it out. I do not get to game alot these days so I may just move onto another game. Just do not have a lot of time these days. If I did I would be more down for a challenge.

It seems impossible, but dodging between the two saws lets you avoid damage.

When in doubt, dodge even if it looks physically impossible.

yep.

cleared very hard after 1.5 hours of trying and most of that time was just spent dying while being careless well before the boss fight against basic enemies. only took 2 or 3 tries in the boss fight. Just keep spamming dodge and never let go of the pod trigger.

zarnold56

How hard is this game and are the RPG systems good? Thinking about picking it up after work, but never really played a Platinum game before. I have completed Bloodborne for reference.

Hektor

How hard is this game and are the RPG systems good? Thinking about picking it up after work, but never really played a Platinum game before. I have completed Bloodborne for reference.

The game has 5 difficulty modes that are adjustable at any time, one of which literally plays itself.

The RPG system are more rudimentary compared to Bloodborne as there is no statssystem or anything like that in the game.

The systems consists of upgradable weapons, items, as well as a chip system in which you can upgrade your character with passive buffs

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

IMO when you are playing on Normal it is not challenging but its well balanced for most of the part. Hard you die quick and may get 1 shot by some enemy attacks if you get in any area with enemies that are too high level for you and boss fights. Very Hard is basically 1 hit and you're dead. Havent tried easy but that basically plays for itself

bigjig

Wow just finished through to Ending E. What a game! I'm so glad I played Persona 5 last year as it would've been extremely hard to pick between that and Nier as my GOTY haha. Now to finally trawl through the spoiler thread :)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
We'll clocked in @ roughly 59 hours, level 77 and got almost all endings

Got the Platinum (#176)

Damn C, D endings are just ugh, depress mode activated
Finally understood ending E and why that streamers cried, I was like what!/why?, when you play through this whole thing, Holy Shit the "My Emotions".gif is so appropriate

Felt dem feels hard at certain points, gawd damn the game makes you want to flip tables and game rack and just scream Fuck Everything!

So, there's no need to do all sidequests in one playthrough is there? Can I just pick ones i missed in subsequent playthroughs?

Any missed sidequest can be done later. Plus a lot of sidequests are only in later playthroughs, and even some that you have now will be easier later.

Just don't start the ending sequence while you're in the middle of a sidequest that you've put time or money into, since most of them will reset next playthrough if not fully completed. Fair warning, two sidequests will take you right up to the point of no return as you do them.

Thanks! Can you spoiler tag the name of those two sidequests?

Last question:

I was exploring the desert while running a couple of sidequests and when down the hole where you first fight Adam. In his place were what seemed to be an infinite wave of enemies that kept respawing. Helped me boost me from 33 to 38 but I got tired to see if there was an end game there. Do they just keep respawning?

Dubz

Just picked this up after reading the glowing reviews. It was either this or a Persona 5, and I picked this because I prefer really time combat to turn based.

I hope it's fun!

Thanks! Can you spoiler tag the name of those two sidequests?

Last question:

I was exploring the desert while running a couple of sidequests and when down the hole where you first fight Adam. In his place were what seemed to be an infinite wave of enemies that kept respawing. Helped me boost me from 33 to 38 but I got tired to see if there was an end game there. Do they just keep respawning?

The sidequests are
The Wandering Couple
and
Emil's Memories

And that infinite wave is just for grinding.

jett

D-Member
In the combo video I posted earlier I see a move that resemble the afterburner kick from Bayonetta. I have no idea how to pull it off. It's like you're dashing upwards into the air, and also downwards, but with an attack. And do some weapons have unique moves? More I watch this the more confused I get.

Another battle where the villain is monologuing DURING THE BATTLE. You really need to stop mumbling because I can't hear a word you're saying.

This supposedly fantastic plot but I can't follow it because it's explained during battles. K.

Edit: And now the game just froze right after a battle.

I'm having a real hard time so far understanding this GOAT talk.

Grisby

Finished route c. The section where you
switch back and forth between a2 and 9s was some of the best stuff in the game. Felt really cool.

The VA
for 9s did a great job at going crazy. A2's more defined personality won me over in the end as well and I was a bit sad to see her go.

I imagine (spoilers maybe for other routes?)
route d is shown if I chose 9s instead? Also, does Route E do the original Nier thing of deleting your save? Cause I'm not sure I want to throw that 30 something hours away just yet, lol. Route C opened up a ton of unlocks.

I'm surprised they
let you mess around with the debug menu too. I have no idea what I'm doing but it's cool for them to do that.

Ferrio

Banned
I imagine
route d is shown if I chose 9s instead? Also, does Route E do the original Nier thing of deleting your save? Cause I'm not sure I want to throw that 30 something hours away just yet, lol. Route C opened up a ton of unlocks.

I don't wanna spoil anything, but don't worry about the save. It'll make it very clear if it's going to do something you don't want it to. You get complete E ending no matter what you decide.

Just got ending C. The last hour or so was really cool. Not sure if I understood exactly everything that went on there at the end.

But I will have to do D and E some other day because it's 5:30 AM here

Thanks! So tackle those for Endings D and E? E maybe?

You can do those before ending A - both quests will take you to an area where it looks like you should advance the story, but instead you can just turn around and leave to advance the quests instead.

Overall, by ending C you'll be able to do all the side content.

You can do those before ending A - both quests will take you to an area where it looks like you should advance the story, but instead you can just turn around and leave to advance the quests instead.

Overall, by ending C you'll be able to do all the side content.

Okay thanks for clarifying point of no return. Got it.

LotusHD

Banned
Finished route c. The section where you
switch back and forth between a2 and 9s was some of the best stuff in the game. Felt really cool.

The VA
for 9s did a great job at going crazy. A2's more defined personality won me over in the end as well and I was a bit sad to see her go.

I imagine (spoilers maybe for other routes?)

I'm surprised they
let you mess around with the debug menu too. I have no idea what I'm doing but it's cool for them to do that.

Use Chapter Select to pick 9S to fight as in order to get Route D, Route E will progress naturally from that as well.

Just got ending C. The last hour or so was really cool. Not sure if I understood exactly everything that went on there at the end.

But I will have to do D and E some other day because it's 5:30 AM here

It doesn't take that long actually

Anyone get an autobiographical vibe from the Weird Machine sidequest on route B?

Can't on hard.

I would both love and hate to find out that there is some kind of undocumented hacking aiming feature that Platinum hid in the game. I must have fired off a hundred unaimed hacking shots by now that go off horizontally at absolutely nothing.

As far as I can tell if you're on hard you can't lock on the hacking shot at all unless you're standing literally next to the target. So there's no hope of pulling off the stealth hack unless you somehow manage to circle around directly behind the target without aggroing any other enemy nearby.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone get an autobiographical vibe from the Weird Machine sidequest on route B?

I would both love and hate to find out that there is some kind of undocumented hacking aiming feature that Platinum hid in the game. I must have fired off a hundred unaimed hacking shots by now that go off horizontally at absolutely nothing.

As far as I can tell if you're on hard you can't lock on the hacking shot at all unless you're standing literally next to the target. So there's no hope of pulling off the stealth hack unless you somehow manage to circle around directly behind the target without aggroing any other enemy nearby.

Ya I could never stealth hack, must of been cause I was on hard.

I bought this game at launch on PC, and was able to sink about 10 hours into it despite the fact that I was working 6 days a week. The 6 days a week thing ended yesterday. I did not understand the overwhelming praise for this game from launch up until a few hours ago. I decided to ignore the side quests which I found out pretty quickly were exactly what was making me lose interest in the game. Once I abandoned the side quests and main lined the story through the ending of A... I'M ON BOARD.

I was also not understanding the love for the soundtrack outside of the Bunker Theme for the first dozen or so hours, but the
Copied City
and
ending A credits
songs made the hairs on my arms stand up. Beautiful stuff. It's about bedtime, but finally I see the light of this game. Thanks for the recommendation, NeoGAF. Can't wait to dive back in tomorrow.

I bought this game at launch on PC, and was able to sink about 10 hours into it despite the fact that I was working 6 days a week. The 6 days a week thing ended yesterday. I did not understand the overwhelming praise for this game from launch up until a few hours ago. I decided to ignore the side quests which I found out pretty quickly were exactly what was making me lose interest in the game. Once I abandoned the side quests and main lined the story through the ending of A... I'M ON BOARD.

I was also not understanding the love for the soundtrack outside of the Bunker Theme for the first dozen or so hours, but the
Copied City
and
ending A credits
songs made the hairs on my arms stand up. Beautiful stuff. It's about bedtime, but finally I see the light of this game. Thanks for the recommendation, NeoGAF. Can't wait to dive back in tomorrow.
The next chapter will be a familiar journey with some glimmers of brilliance, but it all leads to something I never saw coming, and then it's just explosive to the very finish.

Glad you're sticking with it! :-D

m4st4

So basically I dropped Horizon: Zero Dawn (for a while) in favor of this masterpiece. Trying to do all the side quests and actually spend some time in my inventory, playing on Normal. The world traversal reminds me of Destiny which, in my opinion, is great. Going back and forth between same location with sprinkles of new is a delight.

Question about the story before Nier Automata, I tried watching some vids on YT (especially this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0) and boy are they super confusing.

giphy.gif

Is it best to just let it go and enjoy this game and all of the endings, will I be able to understand everything once I'm done with (at least) three playthroughs? FYI I bought Nier on PS3 couple of years back and recommended it to my friend - we did not like the game, at all (thanks, GAF, can't win them all I guess). Nier was really rough around the edges (thanks, Square, for bothering with FFXIII instead) and I couldn't invest my time into god knows how many endings.

Yoko Taro + Platinum Games seems like a match made in heaven though!

Antiwhippy

Yeah other than a few parts you really don't need to learn about the drakenier lore, and even for those parts the game itself does pretty well to make it contextual in automata alone and make you feel invested without needing prior knoewledge.

Moaradin

That video does dump a lot in a short amount of time though.

While it's not required, I recommend watching the Clemps Analysis videos of Drakengard 1-3 and Nier. Does a good job of getting you all caught up if you absolutely want to.

m4st4

Yeah other than a few parts you really don't need to learn about the drakenier lore, and even for those parts the game itself does pretty well to make it contextual in automata alone and make you feel invested without needing prior knoewledge.

Yeah right now I feel like I'm getting the right amount of intrigue and lore just playing N:A. One of my favorite in game moments so far was probably
seeing the rockets fly into space to provide fuel for humanity (currently stationed on Moon).

That video does dump a lot in a short amount of time though.

While it's not required, I recommend watching the Clemps Analysis videos of Drakengard 1-3 and Nier. Does a good job of getting you all caught up if you absolutely want to.

Yeah it was poorly edited too because she didn't even match the synopsis with the scenes I think. Thanks, I'll look into those later!

Robiin

Fast travel unlocked. I'm playing this for the combat and story, but just running from place to place has made me drop the game after thirty minute sessions repeatedly. Maybe now I'll have more fun.

A question, are the sequential playthroughs as long with repeated content? Because then this game will be awefully long and I will dread going through this early game again.

Ferrio

Banned
Fast travel unlocked. I'm playing this for the combat and story, but just running from place to place has made me drop the game after thirty minute sessions repeatedly. Maybe now I'll have more fun.

A question, are the sequential playthroughs as long with repeated content? Because then this game will be awefully long and I will dread going through this early game again.

There's a bit of repeated content, but overall more new content.

h0tp0ck3t

Route C spoilers
Goddamn it. Pascal. I'm not crying theres just something in my eye :( *Later*
9S: Hey Pascal
Pascal: Hey guy I never met before wanna buy some SOULS OF CHILDREN I DESPERATELY TRIED TO PROTECT?
Why the fuck didn't I just put him out of his misery :....(

Antiwhippy

Route C spoilers
Goddamn it. Pascal. I'm not crying theres just something in my eye :( *Later*
9S: Hey Pascal
Pascal: Hey guy I never met before wanna buy some SOULS OF CHILDREN I DESPERATELY TRIED TO PROTECT?
Why the fuck didn't I just put him out of his misery :....(

You could also have walked away and left him to live with his memories.

Top Bottom