• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Manu

How does
Chapter Select
work? If I play a chapter in order to clean up a sidequest, can I just save and quit to the title and pick another chapter?

LotusHD

Banned
End game spoilers:

I haven't played the game for months, I had a random thought about why the robots turned into zombies and it just hit me that the book Pascal requests before the village burns is one of Nietzsche. They contemplate it seriously for a moment then possibly discredits it as the thoughts of a mad man.

The children then kill themselves because Pascal turns into the monster that they hate. I got that the children killed themselves because they were so terrified of what Pascal became once they broke the pacifist beliefs they taught them. I totally missed that if Pascal just paid attention to the book they just read maybe they could have prevented the children's fate. Even if the robots did manage to overpower 2A and kill them/the children the results wouldn't have been any different from their perspective as all there is to existence is living, however if they didn't have their badass hero moment there was a chance they still would have all survived.

Regarding why the children committed suicide, someone actually brought this theory up in the Spoiler thread a couple of months ago. Needless to say, just the possibility that they may be right has us shook lol

How does
Chapter Select work?
If I play a chapter in order to clean up a sidequest, can I just save and quit to the title and pick another chapter?

You should probably spoiler that. I guess, I dunno, just to be safe lol

Anyways, yea you just pick a chapter and dive in. You don't have to quit to the title after saving though. The access points (where you save, transport, etc.) allow you to choose chapters.

---

Pg. 199, we're so close to 200. Would a new OT still be put in Community?

Plum

Goddammit. Just lost the entire prologue level because I forgot to save. This is some pure bullshit on both mine and the game's part. What a crappy way to start my playthrough, gonna consider putting this on Easy.

LotusHD

Banned
Goddammit. Just lost the entire prologue level because I forgot to save. This is some pure bullshit on both mine and the game's part. What a crappy way to start my playthrough, gonna consider putting this on Easy.

Do it, makes things quicker after all.

Should I post the OT2 sometime soon, or is this thread not used enough for that?

It's already reached more than 1.2M views, so I'd like to keep it up to help spread word of the game.

Coreda

Should I post the OT2 sometime soon, or is this thread not used enough for that?

It's already reached more than 1.2M views, so I'd like to keep it up to help spread word of the game.

Any time close to page 400 (or 200 for those with 100ppp) is usual. Nothing wrong with waiting for a few more pages if you prefer. Some go a little over, some go under, it's not a huge deal.

So I think I almost done my first playthough
Killed giant mechanical fish and am now looking for my boy's corpse
I dont have to do all the sidequests right now do I? Like the same quests will be available in playthrough 2

So I think I almost done my first playthough
Killed giant mechanical fish and am now looking for my boy's corpse
I dont have to do all the sidequests right now do I? Like the same quests will be available in playthrough 2

You can do them later. In fact you're locked out of most of them by this point.

Just about done with 'cleanup.' Doing the DLC stuff now before finally going back for those final endings.

This is a few days ago, but man was the music during (C)
Devola and Popola's last stand
awesome. This has such an incredible soundtrack.

Edit: Paying for arcadey DLC in which you
obliterate machines who are begging for their lives and saying things like "We just want to live in peace!" and "My daughter, you killed my daughter!" and "Why are you doing this?"
is... about what I would expect from this game.

Edit 2: Finished the Flooded City coliseum. Christ.

7wdpgu2.gif

LotusHD

Banned
Just about done with 'cleanup.' Doing the DLC stuff now before finally going back for those final endings.

This is a few days ago, but man was the music during (C)
Devola and Popola's last stand
awesome. This has such an incredible soundtrack.

Edit: Paying for arcadey DLC in which you
obliterate machines who are begging for their lives and saying things like "We just want to live in peace!" and "My daughter, you killed my daughter!" and "Why are you doing this?"
is... about what I would expect from this game.

Edit 2: Finished the Flooded City coliseum. Christ.

One of these days I'll buy the DLC lol

That little spin with her sword at the end was a great touch lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Put this on pause for awhile when my busy work season started... had a few endings already. Was at a semi-difficult area when I took a break, mid-mission. Now going back, I forgot how to play and I keep having everyone die because I suck and cannot kill the enemies fast enough.

lol basically unwittingly created a massive difficulty spike. It's destroying me.

My first playthrough, I didn't understand the game structure, and caused myself some suffering by (in hindsight) blowing up the pacing... ended up creating a difficulty spike which was mostly fatigue-related.

Anyway, both spikes were self-inflicted, but the latest has been harder to push through. I really want to finish though. This game turned into an all-time fav.

Manu

Is the DLC accessed through the gates with the
apologetic robots who self-destruct for you
?

Also, is it worth playing?

I feel like the fact that the game unlocks (C)
a straight-up debug mode
doesn't get enough love, it's awesome as hell.

Is the DLC accessed through the gates with the
apologetic robots who self-destruct for you
?

Also, is it worth playing?

Yep, those are the entrances. And... well, it's fun, but I'm not sure I'd say it's worth the $13 or whatever. I was happy to just support the game, but there isn't a lot to it. There are a couple very small worldbuilding beats in there but it's mostly just a series of minor combat challenges with Nier costume rewards. (I haven't finished the third area yet, though, so maybe there'll be a bit more to it at the end.)

Edit: [Ending Y]
Emil... had a hard life.
o7 😢

Aside from one more DLC thing which I'm not sure I have the motivation for (forest coliseum stage 6), I've done... pretty much everything. All that's left is going back, doing the other route C ending, and seeing where things go from there.

Kyuur

I find myself listening to the whole OST quite often these days and damn is it good, with one exception: Emil's fucking shop theme. So grating.

It did make for a bit of hilarity in-game when he crashed into the area as (Route C/D)
Devola and Popola were sacrificing themselves to get 9S into the tower
and that fucking music played. Completely ruined any tension :lol:

Aside from one more DLC thing which I'm not sure I have the motivation for (forest coliseum stage 6), I've done... pretty much everything. All that's left is going back, doing the other route C ending, and seeing where things go from there.

Forest colosseum stage 6 is kind of a lateral-thinking puzzle. The answer is to think outside of the box
and use the small stubby with saw.

Also, there's still the colosseum special ranks - with unique fights and rewards.

SHarris78

Man this games frustrates me.

Quite early on I realised that the gameplay wasn't much fun, didn't enjoy the combat and the constant stuttering was very annoying. I kept going however as I loved pretty much everything else - the characters, world, story, the stunning soundtrack.

Finished route A a few weeks back knowing that i'd have to replay it all again for route B - though I had no idea of the character switch. Unfortunately this only made the gameplay even worse and roughly two thirds of the way through route B I stopped. This week I put it back on and continued, and much to my delight the final third of route B is almost completely different to route A, and the new cutscenes and furthering of the story kept me hooked until I completed it.

Today I was really looking forward to starting route C and learning more about the world/characters - what with it all being completely different from routes A and B. So far its just been a mix of boring hacking and constant long fights against waves of machines. I've just turned it off after, as 9S, theres a constant stream of level 50 machines which keep coming, and coming, and coming, all whilst removing various abilities of mine (including one which makes the screen so scrambled you can't see what you're doing). What are you supposed to do (genuine question, I want to get passed it!)?

I really want to make it through to the end of route E to get the whole story, but if route C continues like this I doubt i'll make it.

SHarris78

^Turn down the difficulty if you haven't?

I'm already playing it on easy (I suck at games!).

Its just this one part i'm stuck on, normally battles are fine but this one seems so un-win-able I thought thats exactly what it was and died on purpose on my first go expecting it to be part of the games story !

Manu

Go to the Maintenance shop and have someone make a hacking chipset for you. There's a chip that makes exploding hacked enemies set other enemies on fire.

For the second hand of the game I had a preset chip set for 9S and one for the rest of the characters, and it made things significantly easier. You should have some great chips you've picked up along the way.

SHarris78

Go to the Maintenance shop and have someone make a hacking chipset for you. There's a chip that makes exploding hacked enemies set other enemies on fire.

For the second hand of the game I had a preset chip set for 9S and one for the rest of the characters, and it made things significantly easier. You should have some great chips you've picked up along the way.

Not sure I can get to the maintenance shop at the point i'm at, i'll give it a go when I put it on next, thanks.

Plum

About 4 hours in. Few thoughts:

Lack of any fast travel is a massive pain. Makes some side quests a more daunting task than they need to be, especially with the Desert.

Framerate in the open world is a bit choppy for my liking

Everything else is damn, damn good. I can already tell that IXm going to love this.

Hektor

About 4 hours in. Few thoughts:

Lack of any fast travel is a massive pain. Makes some side quests a more daunting task than they need to be, especially with the Desert.

Framerate in the open world is a bit choppy for my liking

Everything else is damn, damn good. I can already tell that IXm going to love this.

Good news for you, fast travel exists, you just haven't unlocked it yet.

Not sure I can get to the maintenance shop at the point i'm at, i'll give it a go when I put it on next, thanks.

You could try activating autochips to let the game itself play that part for you.

Plum

Good news for you, fast travel exists, you just haven't unlocked it yet.

Ah, that's great! I'll keep some of the side quests for when that happens, then, can't really be doing with running all the way across the map and back again just for some loot and XP. How long until I unlock it? I've just found the robot village.

Hektor

Ah, that's great! I'll keep some of the side quests for when that happens, then, can't really be doing with running all the way across the map and back again just for some loot and XP. How long until I unlock it? I've just found the robot village.

It's not too far away now. If you focus on the main story around an hour or two at most

Yoko Taro likes to troll completionists for some reason. The fact that you get the most backtrack-y sidequest in the game about half an hour before you unlock fast travel is likely no coincidence.

This is still his most user friendly game in that regard though.

The Dude

So quick question, does the game start to have some more interesting areas as you progress? I'm not to far in but it's a lot of sand and areas that just look huge to be huge with no major detail, are there plenty of areas that start to become a little more enjoyable to explore further in?

Loving the combat, music and everything else. But just curious about that as alot of what I've seen is huge but very samey in ways.

LotusHD

Banned
So quick question, does the game start to have some more interesting areas as you progress? I'm not to far in but it's a lot of sand and areas that just look huge to be huge with no major detail, are there plenty of areas that start to become a little more enjoyable to explore further in?

Loving the combat, music and everything else. But just curious about that as alot of what I've seen is huge but very samey in ways.

You'll see some more stuff, but nothing that screams AAA, that's for sure.

Hektor

There are definitely some more exciting looking locations in the game, but for the most part it's gonna be like that

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah but the desert is real boring.

The other areas are at least more dense. But i think there are definitely areas more interesting than the city ruins.

Top Bottom