• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

Eh I wouldn't say that every sidequest has that.

Quite a few are though.

Oh not all of them, but most have one detail about them that makes it worthwhile. The most inconsequential one I can think of was that one given by Commander to retrieve some mindless shit early on and then you have a weird ass dialogue with the operator and nothing at all happens, but the dialogue was funny. No side quest made me feel like it was filler bullshit.

LotusHD

Banned
Oh not all of them, but most have one detail about them that makes it worthwhile. The most inconsequential one I can think of was that one given by Commander to retrieve some mindless shit early on and then you have a weird ass dialogue with the operator and nothing at all happens, but the dialogue was funny. No side quest made me feel like it was filler bullshit.

Well, there's one where you have to get 95% unit data. I YouTube'd that one, I was not gonna waste my time with that lol

OniBaka

Well, there's one where you have to get 95% unit data. I YouTube'd that one, I was not gonna waste my time with that lol
By the time I got up to that quest I was at 92 percent so didn't take me long. Not worth it though unless you like the music at the end.

I beat the game this weekend and I'd say your two points are the game's biggest weaknesses.

With that said, the narrative of this game is unlike anything I've experienced playing a video game and had all sorts of emotions running through. It's a stunning game, and it's bad qualities are easily forgivable for the game's storytelling.

My main complaint is that the game seemed to run out of steam towards the end and relied heavily on backtracking, going back-and-forth to fetch things, and throwing waves of enemies at you to pad things out. That really dragged the overall experience down a lot.

But the story was really good. I honestly think I might replay the game, or at least a few chapters, and do more sidequests so it can all sink in a bit more. I can't remember the last time I finished a game like this and immediately thought I need to do it over again. Man it feels good.

Yeah the quest itself was very annoying. But I loved the dialogue you had when it ended and
the loneliness and subtle feeling of lack of purpose by 4S
, which goes in perfectly with the theme of the game. The song is also awesome.

I finished this last night, my dudes. Went into the game not knowing anything about it… In fact, I expected nothing and got everything, goddamn it.
This is truly an exceptional experience. My favorite characters are A2 and Pascal. However, I wish A2’s screen time was longer, I’d love to explore her motives and backstory more.

The coolest moment, for me, was
A2 and Pascal fighting together while trying to protect the children machine lifeforms. Poor Pascal, his fate completely destroyed me.

Dmax3901

Ok so I just finished Route A and started what I assume is Route B.

Really cool so far, I love seeing a different side to the events and getting a different perspective on 9S and 2B's relationship. I have a question though: how much of Route B is new stuff? Like when we leave the bunker am I going to be doing the amusement park, desert, forest etc just like before but playing as 9S?

LotusHD

Banned
I finished this last night, my dudes. Went into the game not knowing anything about it… In fact, I expected nothing and got everything, goddamn it.
This is truly an exceptional experience. My favorite characters are A2 and Pascal. However, I wish A2’s screen time was longer, I’d love to explore her motives and backstory more.

The coolest moment, for me, was
A2 and Pascal fighting together while trying to protect the children machine lifeforms. Poor Pascal, his fate completely destroyed me.

The moment where you play as Pascal controlling a Goliath robot was out of nowhere, a very cool moment indeed. That said, I felt sorry for Pascal. He's the type of character in Yoko Taro's universe where you just know some bad shit is gonna happen to him.

Ok so I just finished Route A and started what I assume is Route B.

Really cool so far, I love seeing a different side to the events and getting a different perspective on 9S and 2B's relationship. I have a question though: how much of Route B is new stuff? Like when we leave the bunker am I going to be doing the amusement park, desert, forest etc just like before but playing as 9S?

Simply think of all the times where 9S was separated from 2B. In addition to that, you'll see some new cutscenes, as well as some other stuff.

Dmax3901

The moment where you play as Pascal controlling a Goliath robot was out of nowhere, a very cool moment indeed. That said, I felt sorry for Pascal. He's the type of character in Yoko Taro's universe where you just know some bad shit is gonna happen to him.

Simply think of all the times where 9S was separated from 2B. In addition to that, you'll see some new cutscenes, as well as some other stuff.

That's awesome, from what I'd heard I thought it was just New Game +
as a different character.

Levito

Banned
Does anyone have high resolution images of the YoRHa logo? You'd be doing me a small wonder if someone could link me several.

LotusHD

Banned
That's awesome, from what I'd heard I thought it was just New Game +
as a different character.

Nah, Route B isn't as bad as some make it sound, although I actually liked it due to the reveals. Some people just inherently hate repeating anything imo

OniBaka

Nah, Route B isn't as bad as some make it sound, although I actually liked it due to the reveals. Some people just inherently hate repeating anything imo

While I did enjoy the hacking I can see why some didn't like 9S combat style as it was limiting.

I think I felt the same at the beginning of route B but the new quests made it more refreshing.

Lothar

Banned
I played the whole Route B without realizing that I should use the right stick on the controller for hacking mode.

After that, hacking was fun.

I had always intended to play the game again so I had no problem that the game was making me do it. Still seemed like a weird decision as I could think a lot of people wouldn't want to do that.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I beat route A. I never bothered to do any chips or upgrade weapons and I still found the game easy as heck. Started route B, not too thrilled about it but people say C is the best one so I am going for it.

I wasn't familiar with Taro's work, so I was totally unprepared for the outcome. Wow, man, I can't honestly wait for a sequel. That said, do you think an eventual sequel with the same characters is possible? I do not know any story or characters from the original Nier, so I wonder if the gang from Automata can return or the next sequel will indeed feature new protagonists.

LotusHD

Banned
I wasn't familiar with Taro's work, so I was totally unprepared for the outcome. Wow, man, I can't honestly wait for a sequel. That said, do you think an eventual sequel with the same characters is possible? I do not know any story or characters from the original Nier, so I wonder if the gang from Automata can return or the next sequel will indeed feature new protagonists.

It's unlikely, if you look at his past games. He doesn't like to do the same thing again (Other than multiple playthroughs I guess, but even that's done differently each time.), much less use the same protagonists, so don't count on it. But with that said,
they're androids that presumably can live for a very long time, while Emil was from the first game, so it's entirely impossible that we won't see them in some capacity in whatever he makes next. Automata also had references to the previous games, especially the first Nier, so that's also another possibility. But them being playable? Nah, I don't see it happening.

Golnei

As well as Emil, considering how
Devola and Popola
were used; combined with the weapon story for the Emil heads, I could see future Nier or Nier-related games bringing 'back' recognisable characters which originated here. Especially since
Zinnia, No. 2 and No. 9 demonstrated how they could handle similar but distinct iterations of Automata's cast

I still like the idea of a future game exploring a
totally different world affected by the Ark containing 9S and the machines' consciousnesses from
ending D
crashing into it. Assuming it's not the Cathedral City, of course.

Lothar

Banned
It's unlikely, if you look at his past games. He doesn't like to do the same thing again (Other than multiple playthroughs I guess, but even that's done differently each time.), much less use the same protagonists, so don't count on it. But with that said,
they're androids that presumably can live for a very long time, while Emil was from the first game, so it's entirely impossible that we won't see them in some capacity in whatever he makes next. Automata also had references to the previous games, especially the first Nier, so that's also another possibility. But them being playable? Nah, I don't see it happening.

Do you think there's any chance that
we'll get a DLC of the post ending part of the concert recital? That's all I want. That ending we got wasn't enough for me. I was glad to see Yoko Taro wrote a part after it. Should have been in the game.

Yeah to anyone reading who doesn't already know, there's a part written that is post ending. It's by Yoko Taro. I guess it's canon.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
we'll get a DLC of the post ending part of the concert recital? That's all I want. That ending we got wasn't enough for me. I was glad to see Yoko Taro wrote a part after it. Should have been in the game.

Yeah to anyone reading who doesn't already know, there's a part written that is post ending. It's by Yoko Taro. I guess it's canon.

I kind of prefer the ending
without the concert recitals.
The ambiguity of it all fits the themes a lot better.

LotusHD

Banned

No. For starters, not much really happens if I recall correctly, so it'd be kind of lame to pay for it. Secondly, they keep talking about how they're too broke for any story-related DLC, so meh.

Golnei

Any kind of additional DLC isn't happening at this point. Maybe additional content could be included in a port or expanded rerelease if S-E responds to the game's unexpectedly positive reception by trying to squeeze more money out of that side of things, but I think it's more likely that they'll capitalise on the IP in other ways, whether that's in the form of further crossovers, additional merchandise, concerts, tie-in media or arrangement albums.

In any case, we'll probably keep getting short stories bundled with Yoko Taro's future projects regardless of what happens.

Lothar

Banned
No. For starters, not much really happens if I recall correctly, so it'd be kind of lame to pay for it. Secondly, they keep talking about how they're too broke for any story-related DLC, so meh.

I only listened to the first 20 minutes of the concert reading but it looks like those 20 minutes were all pre game. Something could be pulled out of that and it would probably be very good. Those 20 minutes were very good. There could be one final mission at the end. I want more... and more already kinda exists in one form. Sales are good for the game, aren't they? People would buy it.

They might have been too broke once upon a time but.... I just don't think that holds true anymore, at least not with this game. Now it might be too far down the pipeline to make the dlc which is fair if that's the case. I'll get my lore fix from taro continually adding random shit in local theatre productions and in his private diary hidden under a bus in Vegas.

Damn, that's a shame, but understandable. Anyway, I'll patiently wait for Yoko Taro's next move, this game made me very interested in his work. Thanks for replying, my friend.

danthefan

Finished routes D and E last night. Not sure if this or Horizon is my GOTY so far. Probably this because I went in blind and was just blown away.

Renewed

Postgame related farming stuff:
I understand that chapter select resets Emil to his first flag but at this point (Ch 17-01) I'm getting him roaming the desert area without triggering anything else. Am I just supposed to try and progress story missions or something? I just want materials. Please.

Bz1ZMok.gif

Hunted down the materials the old fashioned way. All that's left is one weapon, gah. Done, and all endings done. Bless

Having the time away from this game and really being able to reflect on it I can't decide if I like it more or less than the original. Story wise I actually think it's more complex and has alot more to say than the original, and it's also easily the better "game". But the original also had characters I think I like more than automata, not that any are bad in any way but in they were just so unique that I can't think of any like them.

If nier was my favorite game of all time this might be equal for me but not above or below which is weird to say, I think it mostly does everything bigger and better but there's still something about the original that I just think could be replaced for me.

2/10 hopefully knacks better.

Finally beat
Route B
, despite owning this game since launch, haha. Shame on me. Initially I put it down thanks to finals, but I got a bit of fatigue due to
repetition once I picked it up again. Most of the differences came near the end of the story, which I enjoyed. Still, beating it so long after my playthrough of Route A, it was nice seeing that ending again, and some extra details on the story as a whole. The trailer for Route C has me super excited, as well. Looks like its completely new content, which I can't wait to jump into tomorrow.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Having the time away from this game and really being able to reflect on it I can't decide if I like it more or less than the original. Story wise I actually think it's more complex and has alot more to say than the original, and it's also easily the better "game". But the original also had characters I think I like more than automata, not that any are bad in any way but in they were just so unique that I can't think of any like them.

If nier was my favorite game of all time this might be equal for me but not above or below which is weird to say, I think it mostly does everything bigger and better but there's still something about the original that I just think could be replaced for me.

2/10 hopefully knacks better.

They're 2 pretty unique games in the end. Other than some tropes he reuses taro never really settle for the same which is very impressive to me.

Drakengard to automata all speak about violence but they all explore different aspects of it.

They're 2 pretty unique games in the end. Other than some tropes he reuses taro never really settle for the same which is very impressive to me.

Drakengard to automata all speak about violence but they all explore different aspects of it.

That's probably one of my favourite aspects of his work.

Dubz

So how do I start my second play through? Dumb question but having trouble.

I continued from my save and filled up a bucket with oil. Went to the cutscene and then the game suddenly stopped after a very brief platforming section. What do?

LotusHD

Banned

I continued from my save and filled up a bucket with oil. Went to the cutscene and then the game suddenly stopped after a very brief platforming section. What do?

Seems like an error of some kind? You don't have to do anything special, reload your file and try again.

Does the game crash, or it just ends and bumps you to the title screen? I remember the game being very specific about where to go at the start of route B; if you don't follow the exact (unmarked) path it wants you to, it gives you a joke ending and you have to start over from the beginning. Maybe look up a Youtube video of someone playing it to get an idea of where to go? It's been a while, so I forgot. It is a little annoying.

Dubz

Does the game crash, or it just ends and bumps you to the title screen? I remember the game being very specific about where to go at the start of route B; if you don't follow the exact (unmarked) path it wants you to, it gives you a joke ending and you have to start over from the beginning. Maybe look up a Youtube video of someone playing it to get an idea of where to go? It's been a while, so I forgot. It is a little annoying.
Yeah it just went super fast to the credits. I'll YouTube it.

Listening to Emil's theme, such a great score.

I legit think the OST is the best album of the year. Maybe the new Mount Eerie is very close and the new Gas is terrific as well, but I don't think any other album by anyone is even close. That bit in Alien Manifestation close to the 3 minutes mark gets me every single time.

Guessing I need to grind a bit before truly starting Route C? That first boss demolished me, and it honestly caught me off-guard. Also, will it be a while before I can access most shops again?
I neglected upgrading weapons/chip capacity because hacking got me comfortable, and now I'm regretting it, haha.

NEO0MJ

Some things make more sense now.
Fucking Jean Paul, man. The other girls got off easy in comparison to the one you fight.
Speaking of, why did it seem that his name was censored whenever 9S mentioned him in the side quest?

Hektor

Some things make more sense now.
Fucking Jean Paul, man. The other girls got off easy in comparison to the one you fight.
Speaking of, why did it seem that his name was censored whenever 9S mentioned him in the side quest?

Cos it actually was censored. In the english voice acting of the japanese version he calls him "Sartre", but they had to change that for the western version due to copyright, but that was too late for the VA.

Top Bottom