• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmmm, this character in Dnagaronpa V3 sounds familiar....

Kira Buckland

I wonder if she's being typecast now.

RedSwirl

Tried out the original Nier for a little bit (haven't played Automata beyond the demo). It's actually pretty nice. I'll probably grab a used copy or digital copy at some point.

I went in expecting a janky, if somewhat charming, weird JRPG, but it actually seems to be a pretty straightforward action RPG with a neat mix of some 2D and shmup gameplay. When I played the Automata demo I assumed Platinum had taken its usual design and added a bunch of RPG elements on top, but I'm surprised at how much of that is in the original Nier. I immediately went out and started exploring as much as I could as soon as I left the starting village. I did barely any of the story before deciding to stop for the time being, but Nier at least feels like a very playable game.

Gbraga

Tried out the original Nier for a little bit (haven't played Automata beyond the demo). It's actually pretty nice. I'll probably grab a used copy or digital copy at some point.

I went in expecting a janky, if somewhat charming, weird JRPG, but it actually seems to be a pretty straightforward action RPG with a neat mix of some 2D and shmup gameplay. When I played the Automata demo I assumed Platinum had taken its usual design and added a bunch of RPG elements on top, but I'm surprised at how much of that is in the original Nier. I immediately went out and started exploring as much as I could as soon as I left the starting village. I did barely any of the story before deciding to stop for the time being, but Nier at least feels like a very playable game.

It's totally playable. Some really damn good boss fights, too. It's a rough game, but it's overall the most polished pre-Automata Yoko Taro game, by far.

Drakengard 3 is the one that will really test your tolerance for jank, Nier is fine.

Gbraga

Drakengard 3 actually has a half decent combat system, its just hampered by godawful performance, boring level design, and boring encounter design

Yeah, I agree, also has some exciting bosses, especially after ending A, but not everyone will be able to have fun with it when the performance is so bad that every now and then you have to wait a second for the next frame.

RedSwirl

I don't even really mind the graphics of Nier. Yeah it kinda does look like a fancy PS2 game, but the overall visual direction still works somehow. I think it just knows what to attempt and what not to attempt with its modest graphics tech. It's kinda like The Witcher 1 in that way.

I did try Drakengard 3 way back, and I do remember the performance and jank being a bit too much for me.

Looking up Nier though, I'm surprised at how much it still costs (like $35 for a used copy). It also sucks there's no digital version on either console. Nier seems to be one of those games that's unfortunately trapped on last gen systems and might become rare in the future. The lack of a digital Xbox version also means it probably won't be made BC on Xbox One.

cj_iwakura

Drakengard 3 actually has a half decent combat system, its just hampered by godawful performance, boring level design, and boring encounter design

The story makes up for it. Absolutely mental.

I don't even really mind the graphics of Nier. Yeah it kinda does look like a fancy PS2 game, but the overall visual direction still works somehow. I think it just knows what to attempt and what not to attempt with its modest graphics tech. It's kinda like The Witcher 1 in that way.

I did try Drakengard 3 way back, and I do remember the performance and jank being a bit too much for me.

Looking up Nier though, I'm surprised at how much it still costs (like $35 for a used copy). It also sucks there's no digital version on either console. Nier seems to be one of those games that's unfortunately trapped on last gen systems and might become rare in the future. The lack of a digital Xbox version also means it probably won't be made BC on Xbox One.

'Might'? Lol. It's guaranteed to become rare with Automata's success.

I'm surprised it isn't already. I remember I got the game for $15, fun times. The OST cost me more. (And it was worth it.)

Oh, those two are a reference to the first Nier?

And to answer your question,
at least one of them gets plastered

The text scene where you get D&P's story is directly about how
the other models were punished for the fuckups of the first NieR's D&P.

Other references to the first game:
The library in the Tower is a recreation of Popola's library
The Class 1 Patient Record (archive in the Tower Library) is Yonah, Nier's daughter
The Original (mentioned in a few archives) of the Gestalt Project is Nier
Emil, my beautiful boy, is a main character from the first game, a human boy turned nearly invincible weapon
Emil's underground field of Lunar Tears has a hut, which was the home of Kaine from the first game, the song that plays is 'Kaine - Salvation' as well
The song that plays (Song Of The Ancients) during D&P's aid of 9S is the song Devola sings when you wander about Nier's village
The masks and cloaks the desert machines wear are copies of the attire of the people of Facade, the desert town, and the Heritage Of The Past sidequest has you finding Facade relics

It's very well crafted how strongly the game holds up as its own standalone thing while also being a sequel filled with references.

yamarei

Neo Member
Nier: Automata had such a weird and captivating story that I was compelled to grab the original game and play through it. It's really interesting how they were able to make Automata stand on its own while still connecting the two games so heavily. The only thing that feels under developed to me were the presence of Devola and Popola.

I was hoping I could drop in here for a quick question regarding the original game since I'm having trouble googling it. There seems to be some sporadic forum posts that suggest unlocking or upgrading all of the weapons are a requirement to see Endings C/D of the original Nier game. Is that true? I might have to tap out if that's the case.

Nier: Automata had such a weird and captivating story that I was compelled to grab the original game and play through it. It's really interesting how they were able to make Automata stand on its own while still connecting the two games so heavily. The only thing that feels under developed to me were the presence of Devola and Popola.

I was hoping I could drop in here for a quick question regarding the original game since I'm having trouble googling it. There seems to be some sporadic forum posts that suggest unlocking or upgrading all of the weapons are a requirement to see Endings C/D of the original Nier game. Is that true? I might have to tap out if that's the case.

You need all weapons for the CD option to show up, but you don't have to upgrade them. It's not that hard to do, and I think personally playing C/D is worth it.

Upgrading them all however is a fucking nightmare and is for masochists.

Golnei

The Yuki Yuna soundtrack also ended up having a lot of similarities to Nier due to their involvement - Emi Evans also performed on a couple of tracks, and one of the major orchestral pieces comes off as a test run for Dependent Weakling and Grandma / Devastation.

I still don't know if they released a soundtrack for that volcano documentary they worked on the music for...

I swear I'm not lying but I opened the PSN web store yesterday and saw Automata was $42 until 10/13. Logged on today,it's back up to $60. Did I miss something or am I delusional? I recall a sale like that about a month ago, couldn't buy the game then, so perhaps I saw the sale because the game has been sitting in my cart since then?

ValkyrieAurora* has a new video about Expectation vs Reality when it comes to the marketing of Automata (how it managed to hype while keeping its major events secret). Spoilers for the end of the game, of course.

*with a special guest

I’m on the third route and
just got to the desert....for the third damn time.

Is the third route basically the same as the first two in terms of content? I don’t know if I can do this anymore.

Is the third route basically the same as the first two in terms of content? I don't know if I can do this anymore.

Just checking: are you sure you're on the third route? (
Seeing the "preview", and then hitting "start game" again.
)

Because from the very start of the third route it should already have been completely different.

Yeah I’ve seen credits and title screens like 10 times by now lol.

I just had the option to
select between mysterious killer woman and hacker boy after the main girl got stabbed.

All I know is once I made that selection it sent me back to the desert for the first mission. And I don’t want to run through the same areas with the same bosses for a third time.

Yeah I’ve seen credits and title screens like 10 times by now lol.

I just had the option to
select between mysterious killer woman and hacker boy after the main girl got stabbed.

All I know is once I made that selection it sent me back to the desert for the first mission. And I don’t want to run through the same areas with the same bosses for a third time.
If you're playing as A2 that's not the same mission as when you were playing as 2B or 9S, unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.

SilentMike03

Neo Member
You're going to be visiting some of the same locations, but you're not going to be playing through the areas again like you're thinking. The bosses are also going to be different so you don't have to worry about that.

Hello again Nier friends. I’m on route c,
just had to wipe pascals memory as a2 after the village got destroyed. I played a couple of 9s segments in route c as well

About how long till the end? I’m basically just plowing though on easy to enjoy the story at this point.

Yu Narukami

Can I ask something about the original Nier? I finished route A and have a few questions.
-Why didn't Nier simply reunite with the Shadowlord instead of killing him?
-Why didn't the twins tell Nier that he should reunite with him?
-Is Kainé a Replicant too?
-What has Weiss been doing for the last 1000 years?
-Why does everyone say that humanity is doomed because the Shadowlord dies? Was he supposed to repopulate the World?

Hektor

Can I ask something about the original Nier? I finished route A and have a few questions.
-Why does everyone say that humanity is doomed because the Shadowlord dies? Was he supposed to repopulate the World?

Because Nier didn't fully understood what was going on and had tunnel vision in regards to the shadowlord and Yonah, remember all that was a bombshell dropped on him 5 minutes before the shadowlord fight after he spent many years searching for his daughter.

They tried to stop him by force in that final moment because they allowed the situation to escalate to far already. It was their job to prevent Nier from doing all the things he did but throughout most of the game they didn't stop him and helped him instead out of pity. By the time he appears at the shadowlord castle they still tell him to go back and forget about it (I think you even had a choice as a player iirc) but as Nier doesn't go away it's become already too late in their eyes.

She is

He probably spent all his time in that magical trap thingy since his transformation.

That's basically a bit of a deus ex machina.

The pseudo scientific explanation is that he was the original, first Gestalt and required to finish the project by making Gestalt and replicants whole again. Due to his death that is not possible anymore and all Gestalts will slowly fall into relapse where in return the replicants will so develop the black scrawl

- As far as Nier was concerned, joining with the Shadowlord would end his life as he knew it and take away his daughter. That's all he needed to know.
- Presumably the twins understood that they couldn't just take back the whole premise they told the replicants about the shades being bad. In any case, they couldn't figure out how to get Nier back under control, and history condemned them for it.
- Kaine was a replicant, just like everyone who wasn't an android or a shade.
- Weiss was being held in storage until whenever Project Gestalt deemed was the best time to fuse him with Noir.
- The Shadowlord's body produced magical particles that stopped gestalts from relapsing; this is why he alone was so important. With him dead, the project could only fail.

Yu Narukami

Thanks Hektor and Remembrance for your answers.
Why is Yonah 5 years younger again in the final scene with Nier when they are lying on the grass?

I had a dream last night about a sequel to this game that involved choosing between 2 characters.
A2
would be one and her whole mechanic is she collects "stands," which are the programming other robots/androids, and changes their fighting style depending on which one you choose. The second character would be like
9S but instead of changing to another screen whenever they hack, the world would just turn into a digital arena and you had to fight everyone there. If you turned it off you could escape, but would have to start the hack over.
It started in the desert and was amazing as far as I can tell.

Yeah, even my subconscious wants more Nier

Hektor

I had a dream last night about a sequel to this game that involved choosing between 2 characters.
A2
would be one and her whole mechanic is she collects "stands," which are the programming other robots/androids, and changes their fighting style depending on which one you choose. The second character would be like
9S but instead of changing to another screen whenever they hack, the world would just turn into a digital arena and you had to fight everyone there. If you turned it off you could escape, but would have to start the hack over.
It started in the desert and was amazing as far as I can tell.

Yeah, even my subconscious wants more Nier

i'm very jealous you got to experience that exclusive Nier content my friend

Yu Narukami

Guys I can't do it. Playing original Nier for the first time. I'm going to do ending B and watch the rest on youtube. The gameplay is too tedious and doing the same dungeons 3 times sometimes even more, isn't fun when your gaming time is limited.

Guys I can't do it. Playing original Nier for the first time. I'm going to do ending B and watch the rest on youtube. The gameplay is too tedious and doing the same dungeons 3 times sometimes even more, isn't fun when your gaming time is limited.

One one hand yeah it's kind of a pain, but on the other the real strength of it comes from playing out C/D for yourself.

Since you're so overleveled by the time you finish B, you breeze through it again pretty quick, and then save before the end and do C and then D off the same save, no repeating again just to get D.

It's honestly a much worse system than what Automata does, but I still love it.

Hektor

Read bottom to top

GTEL19W.png

Link

Not gonna lie, I was hoping for a reoccurring dream last night but no dice.

Guess I should really just dust off my Drakengard 3 copy and just play that, but it's not the same...

Indeed, but it's really worth playing if you can get past the terrible performance (and the abundant sexjokes if that's something you take issue with)

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

Ending B is the most redundant part. Specifically the first half. Second half the perspective is a lot more separate and it's worth it for starting C on your own. Then it becomes significantly less redundant.

Top Bottom