• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Slowly but surely, reviews are trickling in. It releases next week in the west so expect plenty more then. Click here for the great OT by BRSxIgnition.

Edit: Yes, it appears I've pulled the trigger far too early on this thread.

C56TO1UWAAAAB32.jpg:orig

Metacritic: 93
Opencritic: 91

PSN Stores - 100
In the end, NieR Automata's story is profound, at times heartbreaking, and in other instances you'll spot tiny glimmers of hope. It's an expertly crafted story that's uniquely presented to toy with the way you perceive characters and the world surrounding them. It's a crazy ride from beginning to end and one that completely blew me away, in spite of my own absurdly high expectations.

RPG Fan - 93
NieR: Automata is everything I could have wanted from a sequel to NieR, to the point that I almost feel spoiled here. It keeps the same off-the-wall plot and well-written characters from the original while discarding the clunky combat and movement for a system that has the sheen of any one of Platinum's greatest titles. It really is the best of both worlds. If you've been a fan of NieR since day one, but have been burnt by its clumsiness before, you're in for a fantastic treat. And if you're new to the craziness that is a Yoko Taro game, know that this is the absolute best time to jump in.

Gameblog.fr - 90
Nier Automata shines as a magnificent action game and a strong open world RPG with an amazing narrative. Charming, full of surprises, unique, deep, powerful - it is indeed an amazing entrance in the series that can please fans and newcomers.

Dualshockers - 90
It's a fantastic and well balanced mix between sleek PlatinumGames action and JRPG gameplay, resulting bigger than the sum of its parts. It brings forth an absolutely fascinating setting, and charming, likable and memorable characters that will both make you smile and tug at your heart strings.

The Outer Haven - 90
After spending well over 20 hours in this post-apocalyptic cyber world, I still can not put NieR: Automata down. While the original was clearly a niche title that failed to make a massive impact, the sequel was designed to keep the original charm but appeal to a greater audience. Easily one of the better titles from Square Enix, thanks to the Platinum Games putting their foot into the fantastic combat system. The story is interesting, the music captivating and the world has its own charm and personality. Another reason to own a PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 4 Pro.

IGN Japan - 74
(A shoddy Google translation) Many players will lead to the thought that "various troubles" and the forced shooting game described above, together with "the games that are based on the orbiting play, are bullied repeatedly." There is no other choice because it is certain that it will be difficult to get the experience gained by overcoming this bold state. If there is little more forcing of shooting elements, or at least the quality of the shooting element is comparable to the 3D action element, the impression through the full story would have been totally different. It is a regrettable work.

This is the thread I was waiting for! Nice reviews so far. Already got this game preordered. Based on what I've read, this game will likely fall out of the 90 range, but mid-high 80s seems like a lock.

EhoaVash

Sadly I all but forgot about this game since its sandwiches between horizon and Zelda.

Damn but good job platinum

Hoping the sequel gets some sort of revenge for how critics treated Nier.

In other words:

Metacritic: 93
Opencritic: 91

YASSSS COME ON BOIS LET'S DO THIS!

Even if it got a 30 I'm still keeping my preorder anyway lol

ebil

I posted in this OT, but I just finished it, and it deserves very, very high praises. It's not perfect, but they did a wonderful job with it. It's so creative.

Do you need to play the original before playing this?
You don't as the story is self-contained, but you'll be missing out.

bigol

I don't see this holding its current meta average. Will drop to lower 80s.

Still the reviews so far are great and have me stoked.

Same. Still confused though because people playing the Japanese version are not so enthusiastic about the game. Or maybe i misunderstood.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this game is legit. don't let the demo put you off.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Japanese gaming too strong right now. Good reviews.

lol Guys relax those are just 5 reviews, and most of them are not from well known sites. I expect an early 80s MC when all is said and done.

HeavenlyE

Wow I was reading impressions and was getting really worried, guess I only caught the few negative ones.

Obviously these are early reviews but I was expecting maybe high 70s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom