• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier/Drakengard's director (Yoko Taro) is unemployed again

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks to miladesn for finding this.

Yoko Taro said:
My New Year Resolution for 2014.

I know you have to work hard this year. Going life is crazy difficult.
Now, Drag-on Dragoon 3 is released in Japan. I have no plan for next
year because I will be no-job person.
But I hope you will be happy in
the next year. bye.
Source: http://ameblo.jp/yokota6/entry-11738368855.html

This probably isn't too surprising given that Nier (and presumably Drakengard 3) seemed to be Wada's pet project, and he is no longer CEO.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Usually there's a sense of negativity in regards to anything Wada, so it's pretty interesting that two of the more inspired and loved recent Square Enix games would be his pet projects.

Wasn't he just a freelancer after Cavia? This shouldn't be a surprise.

Still, hopefully somebody funds more of his projects.

faridmon

I am not worried. He is a talented person and his CV just speaks for itself. I really think he will have a better employee than bloody Square.

Also, aren't many of the Japanese composers Freelancers? He could join some agency and there is that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
He probably went freelance. After all he got to make a 3rd Drakengard game and after that likely doesn't need to do much with SE anymore. Good on him for getting out.

And as a freelance developer they can call for his services at any time while not limiting him to a single project.

Baust

I'm pretty sure he's been working independently since Cavia went bankrupt, so hopefully he'll find more work sometime soon.

And let's not forget, Shiba stated that the Drakengard series may continue as long as Square has Yoko Taro. So I'm sure he'll be making another entry in due time as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm pretty sure he's been working independently since Cavia went bankrupt, so hopefully he'll find more work sometime soon.

And let's not forget, Shiba stated that the Drakengard series may continue as long as Square has Yoko Taro. So I'm sure he'll be making another entry in due time as well.

Well obviously if he was working on it right now he'd actively have a job.

He probably went freelance. After all he got to make a 3rd Drakengard game and after that likely doesn't need to do much with SE anymore. Good on him for getting out.

And as a freelance developer they can call for his services at any time while not limiting him to a single project.

He's been a freelancer for a while. Prior to Drakengard 3, Square Enix contracted him to work on their card based browser game about dragons.

gogogow

Cavia never went bankrupt, it was disbanded and absorbed by AQ Interactive

Cornbread78

I've been playing Neir lately, so I'm a new fan of his work, hopefully, we see more great stuff from him in the future.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think Platinum would be a great fit for him; Yoko always struck me as being somewhat less interested in mechanics than story and overall concept design. Platinum seem to me an outfit strongest in the areas where he's weakest, and I'm sure he could elevate their work with his unique overall vision.

I'll buy any game he works on, kinda sad to see such a talented guy without a job... unless he likes this lifestyle which is also something to consider.

I've been playing Neir lately, so I'm a new fan of his work, hopefully, we see more great stuff from him in the future.

This is one of those games that I heard a lot about but wasnt ready to play when I bought it. Yet with everything I keep hearing I cant help but be tempted to try it again. Unfortunately I got it for 360 which I dont use anymore, but is it worth grabbing a ps3 copy for a run through?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
This is one of those games that I heard a lot about but wasnt ready to play when I bought it. Yet with everything I keep hearing I cant help but be tempted to try it again. Unfortunately I got it for 360 which I dont use anymore, but is it worth grabbing a ps3 copy for a run through?

Yes. Yes, it is. It's THAT good.

Coxy

I thought drakengard 3 sold pretty well, this is quite sad, he was practically the last hope for mid tier games from SE and was talking real pretty dreams like Valkyrie Profile 3, I was hoping for his success and future revivals of other franchises pending on it. I guess that's all gone with him too

Hopefully not for long, I haven't played Nier but Drakengard was a delightfully insane hack n slash ARPG. In fact while IIRC the dragon fights were criticized a lot, they're some of the more memorable levels in videogames for me.

Dinda

Stupid Squeenix.

I remember Taro saying something about Kickstarter a while ago.

He should build a small team and then Kickstart a game. I think he is used to work with small budgets. Do it Taro! Ask Inafune how it works.

He doesn't seem like the kind of game director who needs a massive budget to make something that will curry interest, so I hope he takes a serious look at the new model being formed around services like Kickstarter. I would be much happier giving him my money than S-E.

Famassu

I am not worried. He is a talented person and his CV just speaks for itself. I really think he will have a better employee than bloody Square.
Please point out the dozens & dozens of other publishers who would've given a fuck about Nier & Drakengard III?

Dunan

I love Taro's weirdness. I wouldn't want every game director to be like him -- I wouldn't want even one more, come to think of it -- but the field will be a lesser place if Taro Yokoo isn't in it.

Famassu

Get your shit together Square Enix, holy fuck

Yoko Taro became a freelancer by his own will. This is how a freelancer lives in this world (unemployment -> freelancer gets contracted for a project -> project finishes -> unemployment -> hopefully repeat with a new project, sooner rather than later), there's no reason for Square Enix to "get their shit together", at least not in this regard. SQEX might work with him again if they see that Drakengard III's sales are good enough that they might give him a PS4Bone project or Yoko Taro comes up with a great concept himself.

fvng

Yoko Taro became a freelancer by his own will. This is how a freelancer lives in this world (unemployment -> freelancer gets contracted for a project -> project finishes -> unemployment -> hopefully repeat with a new project, sooner rather than later), there's no reason for Square Enix to "get their shit together", at least not in this regard. SQEX might work with him again if they see that Drakengard III's sales are good enough that they might give him a PS4Bone project or Yoko Taro comes up with a great concept himself.

He only became a freelancer when he was let go from his former employer when they dissolved. You make it seem voluntary

Why are people so upset about?

Does nobody realize that the word "freelance" exist?

As a freelancer myself, YES. But given the fact that Square has had a continuous exodus of talent since the 00's they should be trying to retain and acquire as much talent as possible.

Famassu

He only became a freelancer when he was let go from his former employer when they dissolved. You make it seem voluntary
He didn't have to become a freelancer if he didn't want to after what happened to Cavia. He could've aimed for a more permanent employment. AFAIK, didn't he intend to retire completely, but then came back for Drakengard III?

As a freelancer myself, YES. But given the fact that Square has had a continuous exodus of talent since the 00's they should be trying to retain and acquire as much talent as possible.
Developers move around, freelancers work with other publishers and may work with SQEX some day again (would it really matter if it's SQEX or Namco Bandai or Capcom releasing a new Yoko Taro game?), that's nothing new. It's not like new talent like Yoshida, Abe, Tabata & Yasue haven't arisen to somewhat fill in the gaps left by people like Matsuno leaving. In addition, Nomura keeps nurturing new talent and they still have plenty of those old timers left as well, who've been with the company since at least SNES & PS1 days. Matsuno is easily their worst loss.

Personally, I just want people like Yoko Shimomura, Masashi Hamauzu & Yasumi Matsuno to keep working and providing us with the kind of excellent results they most always do, it doesn't matter if it's Shimomura composing for Atlus' Radiant Historia or Final Fantasy XV or Hamauzu working on Final Fantasy XIII. I'm sad because Matsuno himself doesn't want to work on bigger JRPGs anymore or Level 5 not pushing him to do so, not because he left Square Enix.

fvng

He didn't have to become a freelancer if he didn't want to after what happened to Cavia. He could've aimed for a more permanent employment. AFAIK, didn't he intend to retire completely, but then came back for Drakengard III?.

If life were that simple. Many people freelance out of necessity and not choice. Most people prefer a permanent gig, especially in Japan where job security is very much valued.

In general, people don't like keeping their fingers crossed on when their next paycheck will come.

Clevinger

I think Platinum would be a great fit for him; Yoko always struck me as being somewhat less interested in mechanics than story and overall concept design. Platinum seem to me an outfit strongest in the areas where he's weakest, and I'm sure he could elevate their work with his unique overall vision.

agreed. they'd help each others weaknesses

Taruranto

Meh. Sorry he lost his job, but we aren't talking about the next Mikami here. D1 was poop and D3 seems pretty crappy based on importers impressions.

Basically the only good game he made was Nier.

Meh. Sorry he lost his job, but we aren't talking about the next Mikami here. D1 was poop and D3 seems pretty crappy based on importers impressions.

Basically the only good game he made was Nier.

*shrug*
His games are still more interesting than most anything else out there. For a guy like myself who thinks he's seen and played everything, that counts for a lot.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Didn't know Wada was replaced. Wiki says by Yosuke Matsuda, is this a good thing or bad thing?

Top Bottom