• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigga and You: A Comprehensive Guide to the N-Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalvaPot

I usually prefer to say brother in all interactions, even if going by the OP I could say it, but since I have never really felt like doing it and didn't grew up with the word I don't feel the compulsion.

Well... they do have a bit of black inside them.

LOL So obvious it had to be said.

All the time?
Damn. Also pass doesn't work like that

I only have one that says it all the time, the others are occasional sayers.

I never understood why some white people desperately need to be able to say the word.

Just say "breh". It's infinitely superior, rolls off the tongue nicely, and everyone is allowed.

Is it really that difficult to understand? There's a history that goes back 200 years to whites acting Black, hence the culture of blackface some to this day participate in, and then a history of Black culture creating the contemporary form of cool in the 40's and setting the trends that's still prevalent today. Hence why people want to say it, because they think it's cool.

USC-fan

Banned
"different biracial members of the African American community "

Flag on the play.

If you are "white" looking no one cares your grandfather black.

As my grandfather would say. It only lower class using the word so just dont say it. i have found this very true over the years at least in public.

I have to say im shocked everytime i seen it posted on gaf.

Alucrid

Banned
I don't have any great desire to call any black person the word, but saying "the n-word" in place of the actual word feels like a shitty cop out where you get to evade responsibility for using the word while basically getting to say it anyway. You are still communicating the full context of the word because the receiver knows what you mean when you say "the n-word". I'm not sure how saying "the n-word" is really any better.

what? the point is to not say either.

David Simon ‏@AoDespair 4h4 hours ago
David Simon Retweeted Judd Legum
Hannity my nigga! If they couldn't get Ta-Nehisi or Deray to host, then who but you on the pulse of black America?

David Simon ‏@AoDespair 3h3 hours ago
To the hall monitors: Use of N-word (with an A) DIRECTLY mocks the misuse of a white Fox interlocutor to address black issues. I'll play it.

You'd think David Simon of all people would know better. Someone link him to this thread.

atr0cious

What if you own at least twelve (12) hip-hop albums? Do you get a free pass for supporting the community, or do you have to provide proof or purchase first
Ah yes, the rap trap conundrum. Nothing like turning on a good banger with white friends and watching them stumble on the best parts.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
what? the point is to not say either.

So exactly how is it possible to have a conversation about the usage of the word without either using the actual word or saying "the n-word"? Do we invent some other euphemism to replace it? Is that other euphemism any better?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Just change the N word to Brother in rap songs and you have found the fountain of tolerance and can rap free

Hopeford

I don't have any great desire to call any black person the word, but saying "the n-word" in place of the actual word feels like a shitty cop out where you get to evade responsibility for using the word while basically getting to say it anyway. You are still communicating the full context of the word because the receiver knows what you mean when you say "the n-word". I'm not sure how saying "the n-word" is really any better.

Personally, this is the way I see it:

Well, it's a way of showing you are aware of the issues regarding the usage of the word though needing to refer to it as it relates to the discussion at hand. Like, people aren't going up to people and screaming WHAT'S UP MY N-WORDA. I mean, I think they aren't. If they are please let me know because that sounds terrible and hilarious. People don't use "N-word" as a straight up substitute for the actual word because it just flat out sounds stupid like, phonetically.

People tend to basically only say "n-word" when...well, when discussing the word itself. I mean maybe I'm missing something obvious but I seriously haven't seen someone just walk up to a black dude and be like "YOU N-WORDING GUY" or anything of the sort. It's only used to...discuss the word. Like "X famous actor says n-word on television. We're saying n-word instead of the actual word to show our disapproval for actually saying that." kinda thing.

I mean I could be super wrong, that's just personally how I see it, and why it's better than using the actual word for me. (That and, racially charged history and all that)

IrishNinja

excellent thread, preach

as a mid-tier CAC: for hip hop lyric purposes (or say, naming your 2nd favorite ODB album),
is "ninja" okay? it's on the verbatim, but it's still used the same way, so i'm thinking your system applies here

this might be more effective if it was posted in the FGC thread instead of in OT

oooof

Just change the N word to Brother in rap songs and you have found the fountain of tolerance and can rap free

same amount of syllables, that works

Hycran

Banned

Homie also does in a pinch. Based on my profession I can't say bad words in public. Gin and juice is one of my go to's for karaoke for that reason.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Homie also does in a pinch. Based on my profession I can't say bad words in public. Gin and juice is one of my go to's for karaoke for that reason.

Brother works better in a fast song like "All Day" from Kanye, cause you can shorten it to Brotha

atr0cious

This is my go to. The sooner we see each other as brothers instead of niggas, the harder it'll be to pull a trigger. You really gonna ride on your brother?

re: the inevitable "n-word" derail

"the n-word" is something that non black people say to shield themselves from the discomfort of saying the word nigger in academic usage

whether or not you think that discomfort should be shielded or distracted from is ultimately a personal decision. some people will mind, some people won't. the world is a nuanced place.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Can I say nigger if I'm talking about how people shouldn't say nigger? or do I have to say "n-word"?

Depends. Are you in a situation where someone who doesn't understand (or care about) the context will fire you, fine you, harass you, or kick your ass? If not, I don't see the problem.

Is there etiquette for playing your music in the car? Let's say I am driving around a few black guys I don't know too well and the explicit version of "All Day" by Kanye West comes on? Do I have to turn the volume down?

This actually happened to me and I just kept the song playing. Did I make the correct call?

i would like advice on this actually, I listen to lots of rap music so I will most likely get into a similar situation in the future.

Im like the only white guy in my one group of friends and it never crosses my mind to drop N bombs in a friendly or unfriendly manner. Brother works fine. Sometimes they call me it and I feel cool for a second :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
re: the inevitable "n-word" derail

"the n-word" is something that non black people say to shield themselves from the discomfort of saying the word nigger in academic usage

whether or not you think that discomfort should be shielded or distracted from is ultimately a personal decision. some people will mind, some people won't. the world is a nuanced place.

I am personally generally okay with limited academic usage, but I can definitely definitely 100% tell when you are leaning too hard into that shit because you think you can get away with it. Proceed with caution.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is it ok if I call my Asian brethren ninjas? Whenever I see them I say, "what's up, my ninja?!"

In the same vein, is it okay for me to call my Scandinavian friends vikings? Like I go "Waddup, my viking, here to rape and pillage?"

"different biracial members of the African American community "

Flag on the play.

If you are "white" looking no one cares your grandfather black.

As my grandfather would say. It only lower class using the word so just dont say it. i have found this very true over the years at least in public.

I have to say im shocked everytime i seen it posted on gaf.

Heh..interesting..

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Personally, this is the way I see it:

Well, it's a way of showing you are aware of the issues regarding the usage of the word though needing to refer to it as it relates to the discussion at hand. Like, people aren't going up to people and screaming WHAT'S UP MY N-WORDA. I mean, I think they aren't. If they are please let me know because that sounds terrible and hilarious. People don't use "N-word" as a straight up substitute for the actual word because it just flat out sounds stupid like, phonetically.

People tend to basically only say "n-word" when...well, when discussing the word itself. I mean maybe I'm missing something obvious but I seriously haven't seen someone just walk up to a black dude and be like "YOU N-WORDING GUY" or anything of the sort. It's only used to...discuss the word. Like "X famous actor says n-word on television. We're saying n-word instead of the actual word to show our disapproval for actually saying that." kinda thing.

I mean I could be super wrong, that's just personally how I see it, and why it's better than using the actual word for me. (That and, racially charged history and all that)

It's that use-mention distinction. Using the word is different from speaking about the word. Now, people only say "the n word" in a mention context. People say "the n word" to talk about the word.

Let's think about this using another word that is also hateful but doesn't really have the same problem. Faggot. Now, I have zero desire to call somebody a faggot. That's a horrible thing. And I hate it when people use it casually but go "oh I'm not talking about gay people". It's such a cop-out. But I can talk about the word faggot, such as I'm doing right now, and I wouldn't expect the gay community to be up in arms about it.

But in a conversation like this one? With a rule like "never use the n-word" there's no stated exceptions. So we have to resort of euphemisms like "the n-word". It feels pretty arbitrary to me.

Ah yes, the rap trap conundrum. Nothing like turning on a good banger with white friends and watching them stumble on the best parts.

True story, years ago my barber invited me out to a club on a Tuesday night because he had a VIP section, so i went and had no idea it was a college night filled with predominately white college kids and only playing hip hop music. DJ Khaled was the special guest and everybody was dancing on the huge ass dance floor and at the height of the night when DJ Khaled was in the DJ Booth and talking on the mic, they dropped "Steady Mobbin'" by Lil Wayne and Gucci Mane and Khaled stopped the music right before Lil Wayne's verse, and I kid you not every White college kid knew all the lyrics and chanted them acapella unapologetically at the top of their lungs. One of the most surreal experiences I've ever experienced as a Black man. LOL

Mister Wolf

Its a stupid word and I get no brotherly endearment out of it. I grew up with pro black male figures who never used it once around me.

benjipwns

Banned
I know this is more humorous and everything, but the history of it is actually a bit more interesting than that snippet there. The wikipedia summary is alright, but there was a longer piece, maybe part of a book that went through its permutations (and I believe "coloreds") and beyond including official usage.
Is it ok if I call my Asian brethren ninjas? Whenever I see them I say, "what's up, my ninja?!"
No, I heard in another thread that this is a commonly used "stand-in" for the n-word to hide alt-right racism.

soultron

Banned
Ninja is corny, don't ever say it.

It has always felt like that person is wanting to get as close to saying the word without actually saying it.

I generally us my own 1 step system: 1. Just don't ever use it.

This. I'm white, I have no business using it, and never will. I don't care if blacks have a privilege to use it and whites do not, it should be that way.

What if you own at least twelve (12) hip-hop albums? Do you get a free pass for supporting the community, or do you have to provide proof or purchase first

With the don't system, can I still rap along to my favorite tunes in my car and then lower my voice when it gets to the n word?

My rule for myself is this: blank it out, always with no other choice. For me, my decision to rap along with a song rests on the use of the word and the subject matter. I am OK with rapping along to MF Doom or Rakim (blanking it out), but if its Bone Thugs, just wordlessly flow with your hands. I do both to feel the music better, and that's it.

The singing along with a song thing is definitely a conundrum.

I might have said it once or twice in recent times in other contexts but I'm definitely on board with the DONT system from now on.

benjipwns

Banned
The OP is amazing. Who knew Predator GIFs could help with race relations?
Carl Weathers entire life should have hinted at this. I take it you never took his acting classes. One entire week is about this just before and after the stew recipes.

This. I'm white, I have no business using it, and never will. I don't care if blacks have a privilege to use it and whites do not, it should be that way.

My rule for myself is this: blank it out, always with no other choice. For me, my decision to rap along with a song rests on the use of the word and the subject matter. I am OK with rapping along to MF Doom or Rakim (blanking it out), but if its Bone Thugs, just wordlessly flow with your hands. I do both to feel the music better, and that's it.
General rule is if your at a hip hop concert every one can sing along

Hopeford

It's that use-mention distinction. Using the word is different from speaking about the word. Now, people only say "the n word" in a mention context. People say "the n word" to talk about the word.

Let's think about this using another word that is also hateful but doesn't really have the same problem. Faggot. Now, I have zero desire to call somebody a faggot. That's a horrible thing. And I hate it when people use it casually but go "oh I'm not talking about gay people". It's such a cop-out. But I can talk about the word faggot, such as I'm doing right now, and I wouldn't expect the gay community to be up in arms about it.

But in a conversation like this one? With a rule like "never use the n-word" there's no stated exceptions. So we have to resort of euphemisms like "the n-word". It feels pretty arbitrary to me.

Personally, the way I see it, it's just that referring to it by an euphemism as opposed to the actual word seems to cause less discomfort to the people who are hurt by it. Ideally, not even touching the word/euphemism is better but there are times like in this thread when the euphemism is as close to respectful as I can get. So I just think, well, the word affects this group of people more than anyone else, so I should abide by their requests regarding its usage.

Like regarding the faggot example...if the gay community was up in arms about its usage, my reaction would probably be along the lines of "I see, apologies for my usage of the word when discussing it. I won't do it again."

It might be an arbitrary distinction, but it's one I feel like the group affected by a slur is entitled to make and that I don't have the right(or wish) to challenge.

Maybe I'm totally wrong in how I'm seeing this and my approach doesn't help at all but like, yeah. In topics like this I tend to defer to whatever the person/group most affected by the word feels like would be the better course of action, buuuut I can never know. Plus like, certain people might have different opinions on the matter than the "group at large" so to speak, so it's not like I can claim to know what the best way to act regarding the word and its euphemism are...

But what I just try to stick with is, yeah, the "If it upsets the person most affected by it, I'm backing the fuck away from it" idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom