• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigga and You: A Comprehensive Guide to the N-Word

Status
Not open for further replies.
As America and the entire world becomes increasingly diverse, people are coming into contact with the N-word and all its variants at an increased rate. African- American and Biracial artists, celebrities and actors use it freely, while others call for its banning. While the Black community sorts it out, millions of white people, as well as asians and hispanics wonder if they can use it. Let this thread serve as a Comprehensive guide to the words history, meaning and usability in the modern era.

Part 1: History of the Word

From African American Registry
The word, nigger, carries with it much of the hatred and disgust directed toward Black Africans and African Americans. Historically, nigger defined, limited, made fun of, and ridiculed all Blacks. It was a term of exclusion, a verbal reason for discrimination. Whether used as a noun, verb, or adjective, it strengthened the stereotype of the lazy, stupid, dirty, worthless nobody. No other American surname carries as much purposeful cruelty. The following shortlist is important information on the word's use and meaning:

Naggers: Acting in a lazy and irresponsible manner.
Nigger luck: Exceptionally, but undeserved good luck.
Nigger heaven: Designated places, usually the balcony, where Blacks were forced to sit, for example, in an integrated movie theater or church.
Nigger rich: Deeply in debt but flamboyant.
Nigger shooter: A slingshot.
Nigger stick: Police officer's baton.
Nigger tip: Leaving a small tip or no tip in a restaurant.
Nigger work: Demeaning, menial tasks.

Part 2: Why Black people use it
Over time, black people have taken the word out of the mouth of their oppressors, and made it their own. Even in slavery, Black people used the word nigger to identify themselves, and even used it endearingly. During the Civil Rights era, many Blacks fought to end its use, and did manage to mostly stop the public use of the n-word by whites. But times change, and language evolves, and the once reviled word found new meaning with young African Americans. Changing the hateful nigger to the better sounding nigga gave new cultural significance. an interview from the 2001 Enquirer highlights this.
Many blacks are quick to point out, however, that there's a big difference between saying “nigga” and “nigger.”

When “nigger” is uttered, they say there is no misunderstanding that it's meant to degrade. But the ability to change a historically demeaning word, and make it a friendly word among peers, represents a bond among blacks and triumph over the word's power and sting, these blacks say.

Alice Karim, 33, a black Roselawn resident, says she calls her husband the n-word all the time.

“To me, it's just a word,” she says. “People say, "What's up, my nigga?' It doesn't mean anything. Right now, the only power it has is if a white person calls a black person a nigger.”

Black-People-Handshake-Of-Finger-Wiggling.gif

Not all black people feel this way, especially older African Americans who have been more personally hurt by its negative usage. But I know what your'e thinking dear reader.

'If there are so many differing opinions, can I ever use the word?'

Its culturally accepted for African Americans, Afro Latinos and different biracial members of the African American community to say it at their own discretion.

lOQ1rCoW_400x400.jpeg

'But I'm not any of those things! Can I use it?"

In short no. If the time arises when you think you can say it use the D.O.N.T system.

Part 3: I'm white and want to say nigga! D.O.N.T

This 4 step plan has been engineered to prevent unnecessary racial tension and awkwardness, while boosting interracial relations.

Do not speak without thinking
Observe cultural traditions
Never say the n-word
Think about how your respecting the Black community

This is a lot to take in, so lets see it in action:

Dutch is reuniting with his old friend Dillon and he really wants to greet him by exclaiming "Whats up my nigga"
arnold-schwarzenegger-as-dutch-in-predator.jpg

Instead of bursting out, he uses the D.O.N.T system.

First he Does not speak without thinking, and then observes the cultural traditions and backgrounds that are behind the word.
predator_1987_frame_00_03_51__45_06_AA_01_01a.jpg

He Never says the n-word, and then thinks about how his actions showed much respect for his Black friend and his community.
predator_1987_frame_00_05_27__47_10_AA_01_01a.jpg

Instead of the planned greeting, he opts for one that isnt charged with racial undertones, and the friendship is preserved and strengthened.
giphy.gif

Nice Work Dutch!

Vanilla-Ice.jpg

"But I'm a Cool White GuyTM, and my black friends let me say it"
While it may be cool with your circle of friends, dont expect it to be cool with anyone else. When in doubt D.O.N.T.

thinking_man_PNG11595.png

"But I had one Black friend who let me use it whenever I wanted!"
He was probably doing that to make his white friends happy. Next time you want to say it, D.O.N.T.

tUxEghka.jpg

"But isn't it a double standard?"

Not really. Refer to the part 1 if you need a real explanation as to why white people should not say it today. Especially since its used derogatorily by whites even to this day, all in an effort to bring African Americans down.

In Conclusion, African Americans transformed a word of hate to a word of endearment, but only when spoken by one another. It still has a volatility to it even in 2016, and we are a long way from it being acceptable for everyone to say. I hope this serves as a good guide and reference point for future threads where someone inevitably uses the n-word when they shouldn't have.And remember, if you have to think if its ok or not to say it, D.O.N.T.

What if you own at least twelve (12) hip-hop albums? Do you get a free pass for supporting the community, or do you have to provide proof or purchase first

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
What if you own at least twelve (12) hip-hop albums? Do you get a free pass for supporting the community, or do you have to provide proof or purchase first
Go to ancestry.com for data and send with a strongly worded argument to the great black otaku group for a disrotation.

As a white guy who went to an inner city high school that was like 45% black, 45% Hmong, and 10% white, I can confirm that the D.O.N.T. system is legit and works very well. I highly recommend it.

JollyWolf

What if an aliens call their species that phonetically? Are we allowed to say it to them or do we have only black people handle them diplomatically speaking?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
What if you pronounce the first 3 letters? Is it like you got to round the bases? Or is it like if you prematurely ejaculate before technically putting it in? Is it best to finish off in pride or hide in shame.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
What if you pronounce the first 3 letters? Is it like you got to round the bases? Or is it like if you prematurely ejaculate before technically putting it in? Is it best to finish off in pride or hide in shame.

I would give the person severe side-eye and they would be placed on the watch list.

Is there etiquette for playing your music in the car? Let's say I am driving around a few black guys I don't know too well and the explicit version of "All Day" by Kanye West comes on? Do I have to turn the volume down?

This actually happened to me and I just kept the song playing. Did I make the correct call?

greatgeek

Banned
What if it's used in the context of a discussion about its usage, either in the abstract or the concrete? It seems a bit silly to tip-toe around the word when, in context, its clear the word isn't being used as a slur or an act of insensitive cultural appropriation.

DON'T, right?

Tagyhag

I never understood why some white people desperately need to be able to say the word.

Just say "breh". It's infinitely superior, rolls off the tongue nicely, and everyone is allowed.

Hopeford

I knew one dude who told me to call him the n-word so that he could call me a spic(or rather "spica" which he thought sounded hilarious) without feeling bad about it. I assured him that while I appreciated both the intention and his permission, following through with it would likely have resulted in me getting a couple dirty looks.

I assured him he had permission to call me a spic, spica or anything else he wanted to but that I'd stay away from the n-word to avoid both being rude and asskickings in the streets. He understood my intentions and intended to buy me a beer for it. I'm more of a girly drinks kinda guy, so instead he bought me haagen dazs ice cream. I feel like I got too much for too little. I think that night ended in a lot of alcohol and the word "bro" being uttered more than it is likely legally allowed to.

I love that bastard, good friend.

"Nig" has always come across as being even stronger to me than "nigger" does tbh. Dunno why.

I never understood why some white people desperately need to be able to say the word.

Just say "breh". It's infinitely superior, rolls off the tongue nicely, and everyone is allowed.
White Americans not being included in something is such a rarity that when it does happen many feel the need to be outraged.

Hycran

Banned
For the sake of discussion, what about saying the word while in the process of singing Karaoke? Do you hit them with that sweet radio edit version or do you uphold artistic integrity, knowing full well that there is a schism between those who believe that commercial utilization of the word has been both uplifting as well as predicated on an underlying appreciation that the words use is sometimes obligatory to take people out of their impoverished situation?

As long as it's used in popular culture this problem will continue. Should we stop watching Tarantino movies or stop watching The Wire because the creators are not black?

Personally I think people should not use the word at all.
There's a difference between having black people use it in a TV show or movie and having white people say it in real life.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
What are the black community's thoughts on white people referring to black people as "a brother?" This has always irritated me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't have any great desire to call any black person the word, but saying "the n-word" in place of the actual word feels like a shitty cop out where you get to evade responsibility for using the word while basically getting to say it anyway. You are still communicating the full context of the word because the receiver knows what you mean when you say "the n-word". I'm not sure how saying "the n-word" is really any better.

What if it's used in the context of a discussion about its usage, either in the abstract or the concrete? It seems a bit silly to tip-toe around the word when, in context, its clear the word isn't being used as a slur or an act of insensitive cultural appropriation.

DON'T, right?

For the sake of discussion, what about saying the word while in the process of singing Karaoke? Do you hit them with that sweet radio edit version or do you uphold artistic integrity, knowing full well that there is a schism between those who believe that commercial utilization of the word has been both uplifting as well as predicated on an underlying appreciation that the words use is sometimes obligatory to take people out of their impoverished situation?

the answer to both of these is that people generally aren't monoliths and whether or not you are crucified due to percieved intent/context/academic usage depends entirely on the people you are running with

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
David Simon ‏@AoDespair 4h4 hours ago
David Simon Retweeted Judd Legum
Hannity my nigga! If they couldn't get Ta-Nehisi or Deray to host, then who but you on the pulse of black America?

David Simon ‏@AoDespair 3h3 hours ago
To the hall monitors: Use of N-word (with an A) DIRECTLY mocks the misuse of a white Fox interlocutor to address black issues. I'll play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom