• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night mode, 4K dashboard on Xbox Series X, and more with next update

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Summary​

• 4K dashboard on Xbox Series X consoles – increased sharpness and text readability.
  • Xbox night mode – reduce and adjust light of your Xbox display, console, and controller.
  • Quick settings – easily switch settings to have a personalized experience.
Team Xbox is excited to continue bringing new ways to make Xbox better, with you at the center, as we refine the experience and deliver brand new features based on your feedback. This month’s update includes the natively rendered 4K dashboard on Xbox Series X consoles, Xbox night mode, Quick Settings and more.

4K Dashboard on Xbox Series X

One of the ways Xbox Series X delivers next gen gaming is with true-to-life 4K gaming. Prior to today’s update, the Xbox Series X dashboard, Guide, and other menus were upscaled from 1080p to 4K. We know players with an eye for detail and an appreciation for 4K wanted a crisp experience even when navigating the dashboard. We heard your feedback and started testing increased resolution for the dashboard.

We’re excited to share that starting today, players with an Xbox Series X connected to a 4K display will see the dashboard natively rendered in 4K. You can experience 4K while browsing the Home, My Games & Apps, Guide, and many other experiences. UI elements on the screen, such as game art and buttons, will have increased sharpness and improved text readability.

4K_SD_Comparison.jpg

Xbox Night Mode

October Xbox Update

October Xbox Update - Night Mode On

Xbox night mode is a suite of settings that adjusts light sources to help keep rooms dark at night and support gamers who are sensitive to light. You can dim and customize the light from the connected display, the power button on your controller, and the power light on your console. If you’re a movie fan, you can now enjoy theater-like total darkness while watching your favorite films!

October Xbox Update - Night Mode LED

October Xbox Update - Night Mode Controller LED

In addition to dimming, Xbox night mode also adds a customizable blue light filter for your display. This feature is specific for Xbox Series X|S consoles.

All of this customization works across the Xbox system, apps, and games, and does not impact performance, screenshots or game clips.

You can also create a night mode schedule that will dynamically switch between Dark and Light theme. You can manually toggle night mode on and off, time it with the sunrise and sunset, or create your own schedule.

Night_mode_Schedule.jpg

To start using Xbox night mode to dim and filter your screen, as well as dim your console & controller LED brightness, go to Settings > Accessibility > Night mode or Settings > TV & display options > Night mode.

Quick Settings

We are making it even easier for you to quickly access and customize your accessibility settings by adding the Quick Settings menu to the Xbox Guide. This allows you to quickly toggle accessibility features without leaving your game or app. It’s also a big benefit for families if you share a console with others who have different accessibility needs. You can use quick settings to switch features on or off, depending on who is currently using the console. That means everyone in the family can easily flip the settings to their tailored experience.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I've been using night mode for the past week. Great feature, only annoyance is that there is not a quick toggle for it.

Edit: I just saw the addition of quick settings which I have not checked out yet. I'll see if I can bind night mode to there.

Last edited:

Plantoid

That option to turn off controller lights is what I asked for in the thread about elite 2 controller having RGB Xbox button

I've been using night mode for the past week. Great feature, only annoyance is that there is not a quick toggle for it.

Edit: I just saw the addition of quick settings which I have not checked out yet. I'll see if I can bind night mode to there.
Just curious, what games are you playing in night mode?

now if only Playstation could follow suit with these upgrades.

My damn PS5 lights up the whole room. Dualsense isn't as bad this go around tho. Dualshock 4 light was really annoying. PS5's controller is less offensive. But on the Xbox side i've contemplated putting electrical tape over the bright ass xbox button on my elite controller

Hawk269

Wondering what changed in them being able to get the dashboard to 4k? The initial reason for it not to be in 4k is that they wanted to reserve the extra RAM it would need to be used for games, instead of the dashboard.

I doubt they told developers that the extra ram is being taken away...but most likely what has happened is they optimized the dashboard code to use less resources and they obtained the headroom to get it to 4k without using as much memory.

Hawk269

Adjusting the brightness of the light on the console and controller itself seems like a complete joke. No way they actually spent time working on such pointless crap.
Huh? Some people game in a dark room and having the bright light on the controller and/or console is something that many would appreciate the ability to dim or turn off if they choose. How is it a complete joke?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Adjusting the brightness of the light on the console and controller itself seems like a complete joke. No way they actually spent time working on such pointless crap.
What? Have you played sometimes in the dark? That shit was fucking annoying. I like the night mode stuff quite a bit. I was missing dimming controller light, since I got X1X without kinect connector.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Oh hell yea I see the update. Downloading now. Time to see if this 4K dashboard is even noticeable. There was so much console war nonsense about it.
I'm in skip ahead and I have been using the higher resolution ui for awhile now. Text is clearly sharper but until devs update their artwork, game thumbnails are mostly the same.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Now: 1. Dolby Vision disc playback; 2. reissue first-party media remote with rechargeable battery and push-to-talk mic voice control; 3. bring down the price on the 2TB SSD card. Perfection.

Anything else need doing with the dash after this? HDR option? Then we are pretty good right?

I hope with the next update they do , the home section is rearranged or reworked so you can actually see more of your wallpaper or themes particularly now that’s in 4K.

They’ve done little to the achievement system since it began. That needs updating (DLC achievements separated etc) and it’s comfortably been one of the most requested ideas for years.

splattered

What are the odds that they locked away a special 20th anniversary blades version of the OS that they will turn on when we start celebrating next month? :p That would be amazing.

DarkestHour

Banned
now if only Playstation could follow suit with these upgrades.

My damn PS5 lights up the whole room. Dualsense isn't as bad this go around tho. Dualshock 4 light was really annoying. PS5's controller is less offensive. But on the Xbox side i've contemplated putting electrical tape over the bright ass xbox button on my elite controller

Keep dreaming.

What are the odds that they locked away a special 20th anniversary blades version of the OS that they will turn on when we start celebrating next month? :p That would be amazing.

It would be great

The chances? Zero

You’ll get a font change in the settings section more like

Last edited:

Withnail

Wondering what changed in them being able to get the dashboard to 4k? The initial reason for it not to be in 4k is that they wanted to reserve the extra RAM it would need to be used for games, instead of the dashboard.

I doubt they told developers that the extra ram is being taken away...but most likely what has happened is they optimized the dashboard code to use less resources and they obtained the headroom to get it to 4k without using as much memory.

It's not possible to increase the OS RAM usage, it would break existing games.

Either they found a way to optimise their bloat or the previous excuse was BS.

Where are those people who always complained about the dashboard, which you rarely see anyways, not being 4K?

Dead Silence GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals
The icons and posters don't look native , even the letters needs a lot of work to make the dashboard look native , it's not %100 unless they mean the output resolution then that's a whole different thing.

I appreciate this but looking at these photos made me realize I really have no idea whats going on with the dashboard. I usually boot stuff from the phone app, I think it's pretty cool and allows me to be a bit lazier

I do the same thing on the PS5, its pretty dope. That night mode thing seems pretty interesting/cool too

Just got home and updated the system. I guess it looks better. Placebo effect? Text was always sharp before so 🤷‍♂️
Off topic but, Why do I always have games in my update section? Why is it not auto updating my games? What is the cutoff for time since last played and it deciding not to update?

Banned
Wow there’s such a massive difference with the 4K dashboard. I almost can’t believe what I’m seeing.

ipTjwFV.png

yeah I wanna bet that most people would not even have noticed the change if they didn't announce it beforehand.
if they just pushed out a random update one day and it was 4K for everyone, I wonder how many would have gone to twitter or reddit etc. to tell people about it. it's a very small number I bet

The console updated and went back to the dashboard. It looked the same still. I had to manually restart the console. You can definitely see the sharpness on the text upon reboot. I wasn't one of those people that cared anyway. I'm on the dashboard for 10 seconds before playing a game so it never bothered me. It's a welcome update though. Thanks Microsoft.

Kacho

Gold Member
yeah I wanna bet that most people would not even have noticed the change if they didn't announce it beforehand.
if they just pushed out a random update one day and it was 4K for everyone, I wonder how many would have gone to twitter or reddit etc. to tell people about it. it's a very small number I bet
Yah I wouldn’t have noticed the sharper text unless I knew there was a change. I’m glad we got the update. Better to have it at a higher res obviously, it’s just so whatever.

Top Bottom