• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS into Dreams HD |OT| Dreaming of snow, sparkles, and nightmares [Control patch]

bwahhhhh

It's still something that costs them money. It's not reasonable to expect sega who's been struggling to spend money on this minor of a patch. I'm not sure what's so confusing about that.

Patches don't cost millions of dollars. You sound like you're excusing sloppiness by saying "well, they're in financial trouble."

Fuck that. Issues like this are not going to improve their future prospects.

The money for a patch that provides the same control as the source of the port is not a lot to ask for. It does a lot for those who are fans of NiGHTS, and it does a lot to increase confidence in future HD remixes from Sega.

Best game ever. Decent port. I too am noticing little niggles with the controls; it is certainly not as fluid as the Saturn one. Regardless, NiGHTS is great and this port is still a LOT of fun. I think I could be doing better on the leaderboards if the controls were the same as on the 3D pad, but it's no big deal. I still encourage everyone to try this out. NiGHTS is very unique and I would hate for it to be overlooked.

Issues like this are not going to improve their future prospects.

Well, it's Sega. They've done a lot of things over the years that didn't improve future prospects. Never fixing the controls in NiGHTS HD is exactly the kind of typical Sega thing I would expect them to do.

bwahhhhh

Well, it's Sega. They've done a lot of things over the years that didn't improve future prospects.

well, I can't disagree with that ;) but, their JSR HD was good, some issues aside, and recent Vintage Collections have been great, so I was hoping they had put a renewed effort into things. and NiGHTS HD really has been a good effort, aside from the control issue. I'm not a fan of SA2, but I hope that went well.

Sydle

Was one of my top games in the 32-bit gen. I don't think it aged very well, but I'm still enjoying it again.

Mike M

Nick N
Alright, tried the demo.

The controls are... Not good. Possibly surmountable with time, but it was definitely notable and detrimental to the experience enough to make me not want to take the plunge.

Sorry Sega, I love NiGHTS, and I *really* want to give you my money, but this really does need to get fixed.

danwarb

NiGHTS still controls like a dream on the Saturn. It looks like they've tried to make flying in a straight line easier and so buggered up the best part of the game, the slick controls. Everything else is here.

If the PC version of this can be modified/fixed, I'll have a go of that.

Patches don't cost millions of dollars. You sound like you're excusing sloppiness by saying "well, they're in financial trouble."

Fuck that. Issues like this are not going to improve their future prospects.

The money for a patch that provides the same control as the source of the port is not a lot to ask for. It does a lot for those who are fans of NiGHTS, and it does a lot to increase confidence in future HD remixes from Sega.

Ok? I don't think the controls are OMG THIS IS FUCKING SHIT I CAN NEVER PLAY THIS EVER like some people are saying. We're not going to agree, there's nothing else to it.

Working on the review right now and ugh it's a doozy.

It pretty much stops and goes into a tailspin as soon as I get to discussing controls.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I almost feel like I'm the only one not noticing any difference with the controls. I had just as much fun with it was the original, got A and B ranks without even really thinking about it first time through. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe I'm just not as fussy.
Or you're just not very observant. The game really does control clunky without proper analog support. Getting A's isn't the problem, as doing so is easy if you're a NiGHTS veteran. The problem is that the lack of proper analog support makes getting a really, really high score problematic, which is how you distinguish between a good player versus an awesome player, just like in any other game that tracks your score. I was looking forward to this port a ton, and hoping to maybe top some leaderboards by trying to max my link on levels, especially Frozen Bell, and get as many points as possible. Well, not anymore. I bought the HD remake, but I don't see myself playing it after playing through Spring Valley. Getting a 2.0 multiplier on Gilwing is easy on the Saturn. Couldn't pull it off on the Xbox. I suppose if I spend several hours trying to adjust, I probably could pull it off. But I shouldn't have to adjust to the controls, they should be intuitive by default like they were when I played on the Saturn.

Kinda depressing.

After playing with the HD version for a while I think I finally found a my sweetspot and I'm about as capable in pulling of tricks and completing courses as I was in the original version on the Saturn. It's obviously not a perfect translation of the buttery smooth controls in the original but it's more than functional and still pretty damn fun.

The biggest thing for me in the HD port is the inclusion of a worldwide leader board. I've always wanted to see how good I am against other NiGHTS players. I stack up pretty well. I'll be playing this for a good while to come as it's a good pick up and play kind of game.

Eusis

You have to relearn the controls! It's like trying to run a marathon in a pair of boots now. Awful.
That's probably a better analogy. And now that I try to seriously think about it I have memories of playing with the Saturn analog controller flooding back.

God dammit Sega. :(

Playing NiGHTS HD is literally like getting my eyes stabbed out with a fork. Literally!

Dramatic reactions aside, I would like to see a patch. The whole thing seems like a kind of silly oversight on Sega's part, regardless of the precise degree to which it affects the gameplay. I can't imagine implementing a fix would be terribly difficult, if they bothered. At least from a technical standpoint. I could see the certification process gumming things up.

Wouldn't a patch of this sort require a re-programming of the game? I don't even think Sega has anyone of that caliber working at the company anymore.

...Best to forget about it.

So, I just played the demo and came in here to ask if anyone else noticed that the game had 8 way digital input on the analog...

I'm glad I'm not the only one missing it. What a horrible oversight. Hoping for a patch but not really expecting one. :/

Wouldn't a patch of this sort require a re-programming of the game? I don't even think Sega has anyone of that caliber working at the company anymore.

I doubt it. They could probably patch it with a few lines of code. Not so sure about the cost of QA and certification though, and whether they'd deem it worthwhile for a $10 download.

So, I just played the demo and came in here to ask if anyone else noticed that the game had 8 way digital input on the analog...

I'm glad I'm not the only one missing it. What a horrible oversight. Hoping for a patch but not really expecting one. :/
Here's hoping. As a side note, in spite of "snapping" into certain angles the controls aren't 8 way. Maaaaaybe 16? I messed around with it and you can definitely do more than just 45 degree angles.

Eusis

Didn't M2 do this port? I'd think M2's good enough at this stuff that they could fix it fairly easily if it's raised as an issue.

Didn't M2 do this port? I'd think M2's good enough at this stuff that they could fix it fairly easily if it's raised as an issue.

I don't think so.
Not seeing their logo anywhere on the PS2 version's box/manual.
(PS2 isn't hooked up or else I'd check that way)

Besides no way would M2 allow this. Their record is too immaculate.

Rlan

I'm pretty sure Sega's Shanghai arm did this port, same with SA2.

So I've now got all the Achievements for the game, got all A's and re-did Claris and Elliot's final level, but I still have the final two videos in the "movie" section to unlock. So... anyone got any idea what that's about?

I'm pretty sure Sega's Shanghai arm did this port, same with SA2.

So I've now got all the Achievements for the game, got all A's and re-did Claris and Elliot's final level, but I still have the final two videos in the "movie" section to unlock. So... anyone got any idea what that's about?

Perhaps the last 2 videos are time unlocked?

I got all the videos. Did you clear Christmas NiGHTS?

I'm chipping away at the regular game first. I'm really ocd when it comes to getting an A rank on each level I play before I progress. I'll get there soon though. I'm making pretty decent progress and ranking in the top 20 range which is pretty nice.

Anyone seen this yet:

https://twitter.com/okunari/status/253453198227017728

(BR = Burning Rangers)

Somebody should tell this guy what happened to the controls in NiGHTS. Yuji Naka's on twitter, too, and despite this game being his baby, and despite the fact he was tweeting about all of the Sonic anniversary stuff, he has been completely silent about this version of the game.

I don't know if we could rely on community managers to get the message far enough up the chain that this game needs to be fixed :p

bjork

I got this yesterday, played through it, and I still love it. Controls don't bother me, but the last time I played the Saturn one was at least 2007, and I think I only played the PS2 import twice before I traded it. So I might be fuzzy as far as how the controls were, but I had no trouble doing any loops or steering NiGHTS around.

I doubt this will be a game that stays high on sales charts, but I'm quite happy to see it get a reissue and I hope more people can enjoy it as much as I have.

Shiloa

Yes, it's a bit stiffer, but I think 50% of that is simply because it's not being played with the Saturn pad - that thing was made for this. It still plays well and it's nice to see NiGHTS.

Though I really don't remember anything about the levels.

danwarb

I think it was done intentionally to make it easier in the update, but the 360 degree freedom is gone, game's lost its swoosh.

All achievements and A ratings got, but there's still one video locked. The third one along.

I think it was done intentionally to make it easier in the update, but the 360 degree freedom is gone, game's lost its swoosh.

All achievements and A ratings got, but there's still one video locked. The third one along.

How'd you get the Paraloop achievement? Can't seem to get that one at all...

How'd you get the Paraloop achievement? Can't seem to get that one at all...

I got mine by paralooping Gillwing's tail. If you time it right you can pop a loop right before the tip of the tail passes through and the boss fight will just end. It's pretty badass when it happens but I'm very inconsistent with it.

thirty

Banned
I can see where they pulled the controls from journey of dreams from now. It wasn't the Saturn it was the ps2 game. It controls equally at bad and It's just as slow.

RiZ III

The best thing in Xmas nights was the music remixing "tool". So many good mixes. It's crazy that there were actually a ton of tracks in this game when you count all the different combination of mixes you can make.

Overall, I really like the look of the HD version, but I still have my Saturn hooked up (looks pretty good on my 46" plasma) and that won't be going anywhere. Part of the charm for me is playing the original just cause it has so many memories. The crappier graphics also leave more to the imagination because the world doesn't come across as diorama-like like in the hd version so it actually makes it feel bigger than it is.

brumx

No it wouldnt as soon as people play the demo they would buy it. It would sell better than Daytona at least

Dachande

Shit! I've finally tried the demo for this after the XBLA problems last night and I could tell within 10 seconds that the controls are completely broken.

For those of you who don't mind it like this and can play the game fine - good for you, I'm really happy for you, but within minutes I could tell that this has completely ruined the game for me. Being locked into 8-ways stops me from being able to make tiny analogue micro-adjustments during my flight path, and I need to rotate the stick around in large jerks in order to make the small motions you (or I) need to get a flowing, fast flight path.

This has to be fixed, because the game just isn't... right at the moment. NiGHTS is a game where the control is everything - it's a score attack, the quality of your performance IS the game, and the quality of your performance relies on the flawless control. If the controls are flawed, the game is flawed.

I've just come off of playing JSR HD (which I'd just bought) and that really is a great port, and I wanted the same for NiGHTS. This game was a huge part of my childhood and I want to be able to play it as it was then.

Please, Sega, for the love of god, patch this. It shouldn't be hard or expensive.

Anyone seen this yet:

https://twitter.com/okunari/status/253453198227017728

(BR = Burning Rangers)

We're soooo close to a Panzer redux. How about a retail Panzer anthology - OG, Zwei, Saga, Orta, all lovingly preserved? I realize the original Saga code was lost but that's what reverse engineering is for (which is I believe how most of these HD remakes are being done anyway.

Keep it up Sega - if you can't stand the future, relive the past.

*Continues to enjoy overreactions*

Apoc87

Banned
I love this game. Bought it for XBLA and cant stop playing.

I never had a saturn so I never got to play this game. I saw TV ads and Magazine write ups at the time it came out (was 9 years old) and always wondered how it played.

Its pretty cool. Kinda different than any other game i've played. I'm getting better as I run through Spring Valley a couple times (average C ranking as of this morning). I can see where the controls complaint would come in when trying to do a high rank run. If you are just playing casually or even just a new player trying to get into the game, I would go for it.

Graphics are beautiful. Nice and colorful, and I don't notice any problems with framerate (it IS a 1996 game). Even the saturn version looks good on my HDTV. 10 bucks well spent.

Top Bottom