• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS into Dreams HD |OT| Dreaming of snow, sparkles, and nightmares [Control patch]

So let me get this straight, as someone who NEVER played Nights, with people mentioning that the controls were the best part about this game and they seemingly messed em up kinda...

Is this game still worth my time then? Is it a fulfilling experience still to play this for the first time or will the controls mess with my enjoyment? Is this only really noticeable for veterans of the game then?

danwarb

The game is still very much worth it, but disappointing if you're used to the fluid controls of the original.

The analogue controls are right there underneath, you can feel it in the corners. I'd have gotten better scores if it wasn't for that pesky 90 degree dead zone around left, right, up, down.

thirty

Banned
It's only overreactions if you don't know how to play the game in the first place. I'm used to getting 3 or 4 times the score I can get now. An A means nothing. It was going above and beyond the A that was magic.

brumx

Nights was a exact port of the PS2 Ver which already had twitchy controls lol. If you probably run them side by side they look and feel the same.

Apoc87

Banned
So let me get this straight, as someone who NEVER played Nights, with people mentioning that the controls were the best part about this game and they seemingly messed em up kinda...

Is this game still worth my time then? Is it a fulfilling experience still to play this for the first time or will the controls mess with my enjoyment? Is this only really noticeable for veterans of the game then?

I would say go for it. I read this thread and it almost killed my hype so I quit reading and just bought it. It's pretty dope. But its yo money, and yo opinion if you want PERFECT controls.

It's my first time with the game and I love it. The controls could be better, but it's having a minimal impact on my enjoyment of the game. NiGHTS is definitely more than its controls.

Dachande

I'm only really complaining as hard as I am because I'm extremely familiar with the game and how it feels. I put a shitload of hours into this back between 96 - 98 and it's one of the reasons the Saturn is one of my favourite all-time consoles and childhood influences. If you're coming to it first time, you're probably not going to notice much because you have no expectations of how it ought to feel, and you'll develop your skills on the new controls, and that's fine and I hope you do.

It's definitely still a fulfilling experience and if you let the game click, it'll grip you hard. Everything else in the port is great. It's completely unlike any other game and is still beautiful and absolutely worth your time.

Eusis

If you say so...

I never thought the analog pad was any good in the first place.
The Saturn 3D controller may've been the weakest official analog controller out there, but that has little-to-nothing to do with the fact NiGHTS doesn't control as smoothly as it did before.

Kokonoe

Banned
Downloading the demo now. Let's see if the same GAF that dislikes Sonic Adventure isn't the same GAF that doesn't like NiGHTS. In other words, if this is another thing I like, or if GAF shares my views for once.

thirty

Banned
The saturn version has 256 degrees of movement and it plays faster. This has 16 and runs slower. It controls completely different. It's basically journey of dreams with the original NiGHTS levels.

Kokonoe

Banned
Alright, so first off I'll say that I like the controls to this game, so all the complaints about that just seems a bit off for me. NiGHTS moves very smoothly, I'm actually quite surprised this game controls like this and it was for the Saturn. I've never actually played a game like this before, I mean it's about going into loops, but it's a lot more fun than it sounds, especially when you're doing tricks. The music is charming to listen to as well, although I have absolutely no idea what I'm suppose to do to the first boss.

See, it's this kind of post that concerns me about all the overreaction in this thread. Absolutely, support this game as one of the unique creations in this medium and for God's sake, support Sega's Heritage brand so I can get some goddamn Panzer Dragoon/Virtua Fighter/Virtua Cop/Sega Rally collections. Please, people!

It's only overreactions if you don't know how to play the game in the first place. I'm used to getting 3 or 4 times the score I can get now. An A means nothing. It was going above and beyond the A that was magic.

I'm not saying that the controls haven't been damaged, and that yeah, if you were a supreme player previously (which would be a very small percentage of people on this board, let alone earth, considering how few people owned saturns or nights) then I'm sure it would be frustrating. But as somebody who was actually pretty good back in the day, I've gotten used to the new controls and can hack it. It's not ideal, and I'd definitely welcome a patch, but posts like "ruining my childhood" are just absurd.

danwarb

The saturn version has 256 degrees of movement and it plays faster. This has 16 and runs slower. It controls completely different. It's basically journey of dreams with the original NiGHTS levels.
16 would be better than what we have. It sticks to the cardinal directions for ~45 degrees either way, then it lets go and you angle of in that direction.

Got to be heavier handed with this.

I find it it more difficult on the Dual Shock than on the Saturn Nights Pad.

I never remembered the boss fights being this difficult, am I old?

ShadiWulf

DiGi commenting on the control complaints

DiGi Valentine:

So NiGHTS is now out and some of you seem concerned, posting complaints. Naturally, everyone is entitled to their own opinion so feel however you want to feel about the port. What i will offer is a different perspective in hopes that maybe you can consider to see it from a different side of the fence.

Journey of Dreams while loved by some fans was generally blasted by critics and the general public. It didn't hold the NiGHTS name well and it hurt to see that after a decade of waiting the sequel that should have reinstated NiGHTS' name fell on a sour note, throwing the character down a dark path with the public and an even darker path with the company that owns him.
My goal was to bring NiGHTS back. All these campaigns i help start was for the basis of bringing a title back to those who have not played it and in the process bringing NiGHTS back up to being a respectful game in the industry.
It is with articles, such as this and this do we see this communities hard work pay off in returning NiGHTS to some former glory.

But your concerns lie in the playability. I've seen some extremely harsh comments in here, saying it's unplayable. Again, perspective a little.
NiGHTS on Saturn had a controller BUILT specially just for the game. That kind of dedication to a single title no longer exists anymore, certainly not from a SEGA budget in this day age. You're looking at a company who is trying to bring a title back to multiple platforms in shorter development times than what the original game got.
Unplayable? That's a tad extreme. I've tested this title to hell and back, i've seen builds of this game that WAS unplayable and what we have right now on sale is playable and enjoyable and that's why the reviews are coming in favorable and positive.

The masters and players of the Saturn version may notice the difference and a difference there is, but it does not ruin the game. In fact, technically, it should be a whole new learning curve for you guys. A new challenge, even. Some say the angle and timing of NiGHTS is a little off. Guess what? I said the same thing. Within my power i tried to do all i could, but there's only so much and so little time to do anything. I wish everyone could step in to this industry for five minutes just to understand it a little better, you'll realize just what's possible to do and what isn't. With NiGHTS though i feel we are lucky because it still plays really well IF you're willing to give it a chance.

So i ask you, instead of feeling disheartened (like i initially did), re-learn to play it. Join us on the scoreboards and leaderboards, you will find fun in this if you give it the time it deserves.

If not and you still refuse to play this port then ..well ...honestly, i have to admit, i feel kinda sorry for you. You're missing out on something quite nice, a moment in time where NiGHTS is in the spotlight in a positive way. But i'll respect your choices so do what you will.
Just don't forget why we did all these campaigns to begin with. From where i'm standing, we succeeded in everything we set out to do and should be damn proud and furthermore enjoy our reward.

http://www.nightsintodreams.com/forum/topic/4398-digis-final-thought/

Floex

First time playing this too, played the demo 3 times and wanted more. This is one of the those that is untouchable in the eyes of the fans so was hesitant I was going to enjoy it but but enjoy it I did. Going to throw down some cash money me thinks

Like fuck I knew what to do on the boss though

SkylineRKR

The Saturn analog controller really was something. It was actually utter shit but it had an analog stick like none other. Super sensitive, almost useless for any game that wasn't Nights. The reason Nights worked was because that game lives off rotations and not calculated jumps and 3d platform gameplay. I always had a hard time playing Burning Rangers with the stick, harder than it should have been with a Dual shock or N64 controller i'm sure.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Game feels broken. Ugh.

It can be very difficult to make subtle changes in NiGHTS' flight path now. I'm finding myself missing the edges of rings sometimes.

And, surprisingly, Sega still doesn't really explain to players how to play in any of the HOW TO PLAY screens.

meppi

Nights was a exact port of the PS2 Ver which already had twitchy controls lol. If you probably run them side by side they look and feel the same.

Look, enough of this BS misinformation already.
I've got my Japanese Saturn right here, along with my Japanese PS2 and copies of both versions. I also have the HD version on my Xbox.

ib1zEFkKeFwlH7.jpg

It's not because you think most people can't check it out for themselves that you have to try and convince them you know what you're talking about.

Playing them back to back right now, I can state once and for all that the PS2 version plays very much the same as the Saturn version, although due to the difference in analogue sticks they don't quite feel the exact same.
That said, all the motions are extremely fluid and every move can be pulled off effortlessly on both the Saturn as well as the PS2.

Some small timing problems become apparent after a while though, but these are very minor details that are hard to notice even for veteran NiGHTS players.
This has nothing to do with the controls though, but with the way things turned out when trying to emulate the original game as well as the PS2 sticks not having the exact same feel when controlling NiGHTS.
It's a small miracle that they even came this close actually.

As for the HD versions. It is true that it shares nearly all assets with the PS2 version, but when it comes to controls it's way off. Even keeping in mind the different controller and analogue sticks, it's blatantly obvious from the very first second that even the simplest move is a struggle to pull off exactly as one would like.

Everything else is seems to be fine from graphics to music, although I've come across some occasional hit detection anomalies. But it's too early to judge if that's a widespread thing or not.

The controls in the HD versions can be overcome when you take the time to adjust to them, but they never do feel anywhere near as smooth or precise as the Saturn or PS2 versions.
They go from somewhat unresponsive to twitchy in a split second making high end play a pain.

The weirdest part is that when you play the PS2 version with the D-pad it plays very close to the HD version.
I wouldn't be surprised if they simply ported the D-Pad controls over to both the D-pad and analogue sticks of the PS3 and 360.
And if so, that's a huge oversight and something that should be relatively easy to fix seeing as everything else seems to have been taken from the PS2 version in the first place.

So no, the controls are not fine and no, it doesn't play exactly like the "twitchy PS2 port lol".

I wouldn't have noticed any control issues if I hadn't have read this thread.
It has been over a decade since I last played it though.

Still an absolutely amazing game, a truly magical feel about it.

Mesoian

Just played through the game.

It's still awesome, easy to beat, hard to master.

The bosses are still garbage.

It's still a great experience.

Still don't understand the hate surrounding this game. It's really good. Great music, great visuals for 1997, the controls are a little messed up, but not enough to really break the game.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The reason people are frustrated is because instead of being able to make fly around and make say, an ellipse, at best you can form a fucked up, retarded octagon. If you honestly don't understand why this is an issue, then try to imagine driving a car where you can only make sharp 45 degree turns instead of the full range of motion that you are used to. It is not intuitive. Instead of smoothly making curves to adjust your flight path in the game, you are limited to very robotic, fixed angles.

I'm not going to classify the game as unplayable, but I'm certainly not actively playing it like I was expecting to do this weekend and possibly longer. As some folks on TinyGAF know, I was excited as hell for this release and the possibility of yet more of the Saturn catalogue getting ported in the future. Meh.

Wow. He's saying that they could fix the controls given time and budget, but they're not bothering because most people won't notice. That just seems silly to me. The only people who are really going to buy this are people who are hardcore fans, so why not patch the controls? Or at least get them closer to the original. I'll take a 5% difference. Right now it feels 20% off.

Empty

now i wish i had a saturn. i'm enjoying the game so much with the less fluid controls, i kinda want to see how good it is in the real version.

the last level is such a beautiful thing. the opening where you jump off the cliff and then the music kicks in omg.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Does the 360 control pad not support full analog? Doesn't make sense.
Most certainly does. Not only can you tell when you play just about any game, but you can demonstrate the precision by popping in a first or third person shooter and using the right stick to move your targeting reticule. You are not bound to eight directions.

If you have a wired controller, plug it into your PC and calibrate your gamepad from the control panel. You'll see the full X and Y axis range of motion that both analog sticks are capable of. Even the freaking triggers are analog, tracking just how far you're pulling them in.

Maybe I'm just more forgiving but I enjoyed playing NiGHTS HD from start to finish without too much hassle, even finished the game quicker than I did when I owned it on Saturn.

Mind at the time I was playing NiGHTS on a regular Saturn controller, couldn't afford the special pad. So I guess HD is like playing on a standard Saturn pad.

It's still fantastic, the only thing the controls maybe ruin is chance to beat your Saturn high scores, assuming you played the original saturn, new players won't even notice that much, outside of assuming controls are a bit chunky because it's an older title. It's still an amazing gaming experience

Mdk7

The controls are a little off and surely take some time to re-master, but fuck i'm MADLY in love with this game.
The original is probably my favorite game ever, and it just feels amazing to be able to play it once again, in HD.

It's shocking for me to see how colorful, vibrant and imaginative NiGHTS is, even after all these years: the art direction is still so powerful, so avant-garde... really, it's a game that's truly capable of giving me emotions like no other.

Once again, THANK YOU SEGA.

scitek

If these issues were raised during the testing process, and Sega didn't care because it's a very small number of people they felt would likely even notice, then it's a waste of a port. It's not a new game in the series. It's not going to get a lot of new players. The people this thing is supposed to sell to are those very people that are noticing its control issues. In my mind, if you can't get it right, don't bother.

EDIT: And they should definitely fix it now, because it's way more than "20 people" complaining about it.

Mesoian

If it sells well enough, I'm sure they'll drop a patch for it. Hell, there's nothing else they can do with the franchise unless they decide to port NiGHTS 2, which no one wants.

Also I fail to see how playing this version is similar to playing the original Saturn version with the regular pad.

I've played the Saturn version without a 3D pad. I'm still capable of performing at the level that I expect (such as reliably linking the first track of Frozen Bell). I can't even get close to the same results in the PS3 version with the analog pad.

It's beyond frustrating.

RiZ III

So I noticed they made the length of the trail considerably shorter. It's almost impossible to get more than one link on the dragon now...wtf.

Also, does this not have the Xmas nights presents??? Sonic into dreams, music mixer, link attack, etc..

Also, does this not have the Xmas nights presents??? Sonic into dreams, music mixer, link attack, etc..

Nope.

One-looping Gillwing is still possible in this port. Just youtube "Gillwing 2.0" on youtube and follow their strategy. If you're just going for the trophy you can simply retry the boss-fight until you get it.

hiryu64

Yikes, looking at the impressions I might just wait a while or stick with the Saturn version. Any word on when the game's becoming available on Steam?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Alright i guess i WILL give this a shot after all then...

Anyone know when it will show up on Steam?

Yikes, looking at the impressions I might just wait a while or stick with the Saturn version. Any word on when the game's becoming available on Steam?

In a "few months." Because, apparently, handing sets of keys out to multiple retailers is literally impossible.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I wouldn't have noticed any control issues if I hadn't have read this thread.

Really? I noticed it immediately just in videos, and after playing the demo the controls are awful. I can't believe Sega thought it was OK in this state.

If they couldn't be arsed fixing it when porting from the PS2 version there is very little hope of them going back and releasing a patch.

I really hate the new Gilwing...but still not as bad as the whole timing thing for Gulpo, who I will always hate!

That said...I can't find how to change the marens for each level. I recall that, in my Saturn version, I could choose a boss Maren I wanted, but couldn't find the option in this version...any tips??? Jackle, I shall 2.0 you again! (curse 1.8s...)

Thanks!

Thanks so much everyone for the information.

I will hold off until the PC version in hopes that controls get fixed! I really want to support this game, but as I to have the Sega Saturn Version and the PS2 version (which I too notice a difference that only Hard-core nights fans would notice it was close) and will just play Nights using an upscaled PS2 emulator for now.

Thanks everyone, for convincing me to hold off. I would be extremely frustrated if the analog stick controller was mapped like a D-pad.

thirty

Banned
yeah but the guy said sega designed a controller specifically for the game. that was then. there was no analog. now that there is it shouldnt need a special controller.

danwarb

If the PS2 controls were not like this, it has to be a deliberate change to help you fly straight. Once you're unstuck from UDLR, it's analog until it sticks again.

Top Bottom