• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS Wii : First Screen from a Portuguese magazine

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Takashi Iizuka is a japanese game designer who works for SEGA. He worked on NiGHTS into Dreams, created the original idea for Sonic Adventure (it was his idea for a Sonic Role-Playing Game), and was the lead desinger for Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes. Most recently he worked on the critically panned Shadow the Hedgehog. He currently heads SEGA's Sega Studio USA R&D development team.

From Wiki. I didn't know he did Shadow.

Stealth

For a Wii game, this looks pretty good, and the NiGHTS legacy should only make it that much better. We just have to hope that this is more a Secret Rings SEGA game than a Sonic 360 SEGA game.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Clearly Takeshi resents being forced to work on Sonic games. Now that he's allowed back on his own game series, goodness will shine forth.

I like your style man... keep it up all the Sega trolling is getting to me. This is suppose to be good news but this thread is harsh

typhonsentra said:
It's... pretty ugly. It looks considerably worse than Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Why did the typhonsentra cross the road?

segata8tinew.gif

Finally, full confirmation! NiGHTS 2 has been on my wishlist for years. I can't wait to see gameplay clips and learn how Sega is using the wiimote functions.

The Wii and NiGHTS seems like a match made in heaven... make it happen Sega, don't screw this one up!

From the screens, it looks like it's shaping up quite nicely... now if only this had a chance to make it to North America in 2007.....

Say "LOL troll" all you want, anyone who looks at these scans can see Nights is crazy low polygon, which makes no sense for a game like this.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Why was it terrible?

1. the boss battles were pure rubbish, with the giant space fish and the cat throwing mouse bombs being the most confusing and uncontrollable.

2. the graphics flayed the eyes, they were so awful.

3. who the **** wants to play as a creepy flying clown helping a pair of down's kids?

4. looping for times/scores got old really ****in' quick, and the silly environmental "puzzles" that occasionally impeded the looping/dashing were random and poorly incorporated

5. wandering about a busted landscape as a clumsy kid was a huge-ass waste of time, and had very little to do with the core mechanic

it was just an embarrassing mash-up of suck. if the 2D sequences had been better designed with more techniques and featured better integration of environmental obstacles -- and of course didn't punish you by makingyou wander about as a creepy kid when you failed -- it mighta been fun. taking you out of the core mechanics to solve a puzzle boss encumbered with some of the worst camera work and 3d graphics ever was just double-plus insult to injury.

nights is just revolting as far as characters go, though.

typhonsentra said:
Say "LOL troll" all you want, anyone who looks at these scans can see Nights is crazy low polygon, which makes no sense for a game like this.

How many polygons should NiGHTS be made up of? He looks exactly like any of the artwork/renders from the original game, costume additions aside.

Jcgamer60

I'm happy they are doing another nights game and so far it looks like its remaining faithful to the previous style of the first game. Yet, i'm quite disappointed by the graphics of this sequal. It just doesn't strike me as a huge jump from the saturn version. Personally, i would prefer ps3/360 high def visuals than wii controls. Anyway, i hope this turns out well, but knowing sega...anything can happen. Crappy music could easily ruin this game.

Jcgamer60 said:
I'm happy they are doing another nights game and so far it looks like its remaining faithful to the previous style of the first game. Yet, i'm quite disappointed by the graphics of this sequal. It just doesn't strike me as a huge jump from the saturn version. Personally, i would prefer ps3/360 high def visuals than wii controls. Anyway, i hope this turns out well, but knowing sega...anything can happen. Crappy music could easily ruin this game.

Maybe if this one does well we can coax them into a NiGHTS game for PS3/360? I'll take as many NiGHTS games as they can give. NiGHTS 2 news should be above SYSTAMWARRS, guys.

Seraph830

Banned
YES YES YES!!!! Now all I need is a Burning Rangers sequel and I can die happy.

PS: Who let the trolls out? "If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all"

Segata Sanshiro said:
How many polygons should NiGHTS be made up of? He looks exactly like any of the artwork/renders from the original game, costume additions aside.
I'd think his legs/hands/chest shouldn't be made up of jagged edges. He should also be more expressive, every shot his eyes are exactly the same.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this is why I dont bother poster a lot in gaf, an exclusive game announced? a swarm of trolls running rampant in the thread.

NiGHTS 2 is pretty much all I've ever wanted from the whole goddamned video game industry for the past eleven years. Everything else I played was just to pass the time.

typhonsentra said:
I'd think his legs/hands/chest shouldn't be made up of jagged edges. He should also be more expressive, every shot his eyes are exactly the same.

I don't really see a problem with the hands and legs, other than the resolution which they can't do much about. I see it in the chest, but then I look at the NiGHTS render and he's boxy in the chest in the same way. He's a very angular character in design.

I see what you mean about the facial expressions...I'd love for him to be able to make faces like he does in the opening cinema of the first one, but who knows - it might be in there. It's certainly not outside the system's capabilities, and the game does likely have at least 8 months of dev time left.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
dyls said:
It's a Wii exclusive and a Sega game. Are we really surprised about the swarm of trolls?

Exactly, this forum would explode if Sega announced a Panzer Dragoon game for the wii and have it exclusive.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I wish Nintendo can somehow emulate Saturn on the Wii and release the original as a Virtual Console game

canocha

Seraph830 said:
YES YES YES!!!! Now all I need is a Burning Rangers sequel and I can die happy.

PS: Who let the trolls out? "If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all"

Q: What other classic franchises, developed either by you or Sonic Team, would you like to bring back to life?
A: When I created NiGHTS, I didn't see it as a classic franchise, but I always hoped I would be able to dedicate it a sequel when the right moment came. For know, this is the only game series I'd like to see people talking about once more.

:D U just have to wait another 10 years for it! :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't really see a problem with the hands and legs, other than the resolution which they can't do much about. I see it in the chest, but then I look at the NiGHTS render and he's boxy in the chest in the same way. He's a very angular character in design.

I see what you mean about the facial expressions...I'd love for him to be able to make faces like he does in the opening cinema of the first one, but who knows - it might be in there. It's certainly not outside the system's capabilities, and the game does likely have at least 8 months of dev time left.

omg I love when he sticks his tongue out

Dascu

Wow, so it really happened. Screenshots look pretty good. I hope they can manage to get that 2-player mode online as well.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Exactly, this forum would explode if Sega announced a Panzer Dragoon game for the wii and have it exclusive.
With this news, Panzer Dragoon Wii is now actually a possibility. :)

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Segata Sanshiro said:
I think I finally understand why Drinky is the way he is.

Drinky, show us on the dolly where the bad clown touched you.

A winnar is you!!1!

Back to topic... awesome, can't wait to play it. :~

Drinky Crow said:
1. the boss battles were pure rubbish, with the giant space fish and the cat throwing mouse bombs being the most confusing and uncontrollable.

3. who the **** wants to play as a creepy flying clown helping a pair of down's kids?

4. looping for times/scores got old really ****in' quick, and the silly environmental "puzzles" that occasionally impeded the looping/dashing were random and poorly incorporated

5. wandering about a busted landscape as a clumsy kid was a huge-ass waste of time, and had very little to do with the core mechanic

it was just an embarrassing mash-up of suck. if the 2D sequences had been better designed with more techniques and featured better integration of environmental obstacles -- and of course didn't punish you by makingyou wander about as a creepy kid when you failed -- it mighta been fun. taking you out of the core mechanics to solve a puzzle boss encumbered with some of the worst camera work and 3d graphics ever was just double-plus insult to injury.

poor baby, didnt get to play it until 10 years after it came out?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Drinky Crow said:

Thank you Jesus, someone who had the same problems with the original Nights as I did.

If you're excited, groovy though. I've loved games other hate with a passion. Just happy to see someone else who saw that the original Nights blew ass.

As for THIS one, the pictures look ok. It's low poly though with meh textures. Look at Nights himself upclose. But taken as a whole, the game looks good. Some videos would be nice to see how it animates, which is the big draw.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
GSG Flash said:
I wish Nintendo can somehow emulate Saturn on the Wii and release the original as a Virtual Console game

They could always include it as an unlockable extra in the game.

Or have a DS port.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If it's released this Christmas, between this, Sonic&Mario, Mario Galaxy, Super SMash Bro and Metroid, Nintendo is going to move some units.

mollipen

typhonsentra said:
It's... pretty ugly. It looks considerably worse than Sonic and the Secret Rings.

I know you're getting crapped on, but I kind of agree. Well, not ugly, but I'm not at all impressed with those graphics. I'd expect it to look like that on the GC, not the Super GC.

Top Bottom