• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nike is under fire for abusing female athletes again

Athena~

Banned

Mary Cain’s male coaches were convinced she had to get “thinner, and thinner, and thinner.” Then her body started breaking down.

Gold developed disordered eating to the point of imagining taking her life.

Nike has come under fire in recent months for doping charges involving Salazar. He is now banned from the sport for four years, and his elite Nike team has been dismantled. In October, Nike’s chief executive resigned.

A big part of this problem is that women and girls are being forced to meet athletic standards that are based on how men and boys develop. If you try to make a girl fit a boy’s development timeline, her body is at risk of breaking down. That is what happened to Cain.

After months of dieting and frustration, Cain found herself choosing between training with the best team in the world, or potentially developing osteoporosis or even infertility. She lost her period for three years and broke five bones. She went from being a once-in-a-generation Olympic hopeful to having suicidal thoughts.

Fuck Nike #justcancelnike

highrider

Banned
Gee, I just can’t believe elite athletes and their handlers are pushing the envelope of human performance with drugs, diet, EPA and a host of other things. It’s a shame but this is just a reality of professional sports. We all know how dangerous weight cutting is in boxing and mma and a great prospect died in the boxing ring a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it seems to be very common for humans to push performance or outright cheat. Nike is an awful company, but they dominate the American athletic market.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
how is this nike's fault?

she's a big girl and said yes to all of this, got rekt and didn't drop like she should have

unless i'm missing something

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
girls don't got balls takes longer em to achieve gainz ie rebuild & repair. so much coaches r sh!t & they don't even know it fukk u think so many athletes get injured that QB that retired from the Colts I bet had extremely sh!tty guidance to healing himself i bet if I had a chance with him he'd be in better condition to play my knowledge on nutrition is legit mothafukkaaaa TB12 baby!

bitbydeath

Nike was trying to push her to her limits and that’s what she signed up for.

There’s nothing ‘wrong’ going on here. I imagine Nike trains more Women than this one girl and should therefore have a lot of experience under their belt on how to train them.

Tesseract

Banned
You can be talked into things without a gun to your head. Things you normally wouldn't do. Are humans not able to be manipulated or asked to do more than they are able to without guns to their heads?

they can be asked, manipulation eh not so much

she's an individual who decided these things on her own

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
After breaking 2 bones I'd start to think about some shit. Bone breaks 3-5 you have to wonder what the hell she is doing deciding to stay there.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Well she chose to do it. That was her decision and no one elses. She could have chose to stop if her health started to deteriorate, but she didn't, she kept going.

There are people who have to sacrifice their health and sanity all the time just to get by life in. I won't feel sorry for some chic who willingly does it to be an athlete when she doesn't have to. It isn't like if she doesn't be an athlete she will be homeless, she has other options.

God Enel

they can be asked, manipulation eh not so much

she's an individual who decided these things on her own

She is 23 according to Wikipedia. Of course she can decide on her own. But to put all the fault on her, I don’t think that’s right.

she is young (17 then) Wants to at the / is on the top. There comes a company with a shitload of money. Offers a contract. Maybe she needs it / She wants the success. She doesn’t know shit at this age. Maybe she is pressured by her parents? She subscribe the contract. being pressured to cut weight, otherwise ... (I don’t know as I’ve never been into this situation).

what I want to say she’s a kid and doesn’t know shit at this age.

“When you’re training in a program like this, you’re constantly reminded how lucky you are to be there, how anyone would want to be there, and it’s this weird feeling of, ‘Well, then, I can’t leave it. Who am I without it?’” Goucher said. “When someone proposes something you don’t want to do, whether it’s weight loss or drugs, you wonder, ‘Is this what it takes? Maybe it is, and I don’t want to have regrets.’ Your careers are so short. You are desperate. You want to capitalize on your career, but you’re not sure at what cost.”

And I absolutely can imagine it being like that. Especially at 17, when a top coach is there and tells you what to do. You trust them to become better.

Not only in this case but in general. Heck even I wouldn’t know shit when a company with big ass money would offer me a good contract. Who the fuck knows what’s written in them?

Ovek

7Member7
For everyone who keeps saying “how is this Nike’s fault?” and “she a grown girl who can make her own decisions”...

A. Her trainers were employed by Nike so Nike hold ultimate responsibility. And if Nike is pushing a directive that female athletes need to look like models that’s a big fucking problem.

B. Athletes put a lot of faith in there trainers to keep them healthy and know what’s best for them whilst pushing them to the limit. That’s why she will have followed everything they told her to do like extreme dieting without thinking about it.

bitbydeath

For everyone who keeps saying “how is this Nike’s fault?” and “she a grown girl who can make her own decisions”...

A. Her trainers were employed by Nike so Nike hold ultimate responsibility. And if Nike is pushing a directive that female athletes need to look like models that’s a big fucking problem.

B. Athletes put a lot of faith in there trainers to keep them healthy and know what’s best for them whilst pushing them to the limit. That’s why she will have followed everything they told her to do like extreme dieting without thinking about it.

Question is, are they failing everyone or only a few? I doubt they’re pushing for modelling but rather performance.

Extreme dieting is all part of it. They don’t get paid tons of money to lead average joe lives.

Weilthain

Banned
Some people genuinely believe that the people “above” them know best, when they don’t.

They will try their best to please no matter what the cost to the point they will go crazy.

you’re supposed to protect these people not exploit them.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

Nike is one of the truly evil companies out there. They basically use peer pressure to sell overpriced shoes to urban youth who probably can't afford them in the first place

431ddc5f34baf84706973cf6e8f7af5b.jpg

highrider

Banned

So I guess we’ll go after the whole world of fashion then because it’s not like being attractive and thin hasn’t been a marching order for years. When I was 17 I was in the army so it was ok for me to die despite ‘ not really knowing what I was doing and trusting my recruiter ‘. Feel bad for the girl, absolutely agree Nike is a dirtbag company, but it’s her personal responsibility to make those judgments and there’s no retroactive I didn’t understand what I was doing, sorry. I look at it like student debt forgiveness in a similar way. You agreed to it, and I’m sorry you didn’t understand it was difficult.

Despera

Banned
If she wants to push herself to the max on the same level as her male counterparts... infertility is a highly probable outcome unfortunately.

I understand that it ain't easy walking away from a Nike sponsorship but if a person sees clear signs of their body getting fucked, especially a veteran athlete who should be more aware of this, it is time to do something about it/make a stop to it.

But then again you have this

Some people genuinely believe that the people “above” them know best, when then don’t.

They will try their best to please no matter what the cost to the point they will go crazy.

you’re supposed to protect these people not exploit them.
Which is a factor here as well for sure.

Blade2.0

So I guess we’ll go after the whole world of fashion then because it’s not like being attractive and thin hasn’t been a marching order for years. When I was 17 I was in the army so it was ok for me to die despite ‘ not really knowing what I was doing and trusting my recruiter ‘. Feel bad for the girl, absolutely agree Nike is a dirtbag company, but it’s her personal responsibility to make those judgments and there’s no retroactive I didn’t understand what I was doing, sorry. I look at it like student debt forgiveness in a similar way. You agreed to it, and I’m sorry you didn’t understand it was difficult.
I mean, yea. the fashion industry is a horrible industry. How many horror stories have you heard from the models and people involved with it. Not to mention the fact that most companies use almost enslaved labor to get it done...

Tesseract

Banned
I mean, yea. the fashion industry is a horrible industry. How many horror stories have you heard from the models and people involved with it. Not to mention the fact that most companies use almost enslaved labor to get it done...

lols

people do this to themselves, they want the money and lifestyle

Blade2.0

lols

people do this to themselves, they want the money and lifestyle
As stated, people in power usually have more sway over those beneath them. Without putting guns to heads.

So the person that gets tied into a contract could never have been misled by those above them, are you really saying that?

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
As stated, people in power usually have more away over those beneath them. Without putting guns to heads.

So the person that gets tied into a contract could never have been misled by those above them, are you really saying that?

that's what i am saying, lawyer up and go over the contract before you sign

i'm sure you'd like to run with the whole oppressor and oppressed thing tho, sorry but people are responsible for their actions

Blade2.0

that's what i am saying, lawyer up and go over the contract before you sign

i'm sure you'd like to run with the whole oppressor and oppressed thing tho, sorry but people are responsible for their actions
Yes. The oppressor is responsible for oppressing others. That's also being responsible for your own actions.

Weilthain

Banned
Some people are like horses they will just keep going until they drop dead from exhaustion because the guy on its back keeps beating it with a stick.

Bet you anything it was a guy beating her with a stick behind the newspaper article, for money of course, and she is just like “yes, this is a good idea I will do what you say”

Blade2.0

lol wut, they wanted to peak performance the fuck outta her in their science labs

she agreed, there's no abuse of power
Seeing her body break down and still pushing her is abuse of power....

The slaveowners didn't do anything wrong, the slaves knew what they were getting into

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
please never join the military

would hate to see you dishonorably discharged because you think yer constitutional rights are unfairly restricted

God Enel

forcing her to do any of this stuff, which doesn't appear to be the case

"Nike has come under fire in recent months for doping charges involving Salazar. He is now banned from the sport for four years, and his elite Nike team has been dismantled. In October, Nike’s chief executive resigned."

You mean physally forcing? Yes that most probably didn’t happen, but you can still manipulate and pressure people to do shit.

Tesseract

Banned
"Nike has come under fire in recent months for doping charges involving Salazar. He is now banned from the sport for four years, and his elite Nike team has been dismantled. In October, Nike’s chief executive resigned."

You mean physally forcing? Yes that most probably didn’t happen, but you can still manipulate and pressure people to do shit.

nope, not when you are the race horse

they can pump you full of vince mcmahon's juice but they cannot change your genes or force you to work

you say yes to every needle that goes in your body, every pill you swallow

manipulation and pressure don't really mean anything by the way, we all do that every day in some form or another

Last edited:

Blade2.0

The oppressor knows they shouldn't be asking for something but still ask for it anyways. Their personal responsibility is to not ask.

God Enel

nope, not when you are the race horse

they can pump you full of vince mcmahon's juice but they cannot change your genes or force you to work

you say yes to every needle that goes in your body, every pill you swallow

Of course they can you not. But they can overdo all of this shit - without looking at the health of the athlete. And as a trainer you have the fucking responsibility to ask if the - then underaged - teen is okay and healthy?
When your mother told you back in the days to eat all of your plate, you did it. It's basically the same thing here.

But maybe we just have a different view on all this shit :)

Tesseract

Banned
Of course they can you not. But they can overdo all of this shit - without looking at the health of the athlete. And as a trainer you have the fucking responsibility to ask if the - then underaged - teen is okay and healthy?
When your mother told you back in the days to eat all of your plate, you did it. It's basically the same thing here.

But maybe we just have a different view on all this shit :)

personal responsibility above all

maybe we have differing views, i was taught to question everything i put into my body from an early age, every contract i signed, every request made by varying operators

Tesseract

Banned
Sounds like empathy for others to me.

this is america, and in this country you alone are responsible for your livelihood

blade i'm sure you'd love daddy government to step in and dampen these ultra violence nike labs

that's not gonna happen

Weilthain

Banned
This is a tough one.

yes she had a choice. She agreed. Perhaps she wanted the fame and money more than anything. Point taken.

but........

Some people are so hopelessly easy to manipulate and control, it’s the responsibility of good people to protect them from evil bastards.
Why do you think so many women develop eating disorders? It’s brainwashing plain and simple from these fucks.

I empathise completely with this, my wife has had the eating disorder thing before we met where she was dangerously underweight. When she tries to explain why she ended up being like that, it just doesn’t make sense to me other than she had been brainwashed into thinking she had to be like that or she was worthless.

it doesn’t make sense to me. But she isn’t lying. It’s the pressure from the media. It’s evil EVIL I TELL YA!

Tesseract

Banned
you wanna go after someone, attack the church of scientology for being the blood sucking leeches they are

don't go after a company that hands you fistfuls of cash, the best trainers and drugs, clothing and training gear to make you the next great star

not everyone can shine bright

Tesseract

Banned
i'm sure they learned a lot from this tho, should help a lot of girls on the up

doesn't take a genius to know that dietary needs for developing sexes are different, fat and muscle distribution / development isn't anywhere similar

Top Bottom