• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nike is under fire for abusing female athletes again

Blade2.0

this is america, and in this country you alone are responsible for your livelihood

blade i'm sure you'd love daddy government to step in and dampen these ultra violence nike labs

that's not gonna happen
No you aren't and you know that. You get in trouble you can call 911. Social security, disability, welfare. You alone aren't responsible and that's fucking dumb talk dude. Someone fucks you over and you can sue them. A company does something wrong and you can get your money back. You live in a "fantasy" land where no one takes care of each other and it's bullshit.

Tesseract

Banned
No you aren't and you know that. You get in trouble you can call 911. Social security, disability, welfare. You alone aren't responsible and that's fucking dumb talk dude. Someone fucks you over and you can sue them. A company does something wrong and you can get your money back. You live in a "fantasy" land where no one takes care of each other and it's bullshit.

911 is for emergencies where you cannot or should not help yourself, the other things are social safety nets i don't necessarily want or agree with

just embrace your inner communist, blade

privilege and oppression is all you see

Last edited:

Blade2.0

911 is for emergencies where you cannot or should not help yourself, the other things are social safety nets i don't necessarily want or agree with

just embrace your inner communist, blade

privilege and oppression is all you see
Because oppression is very common for our race.

God Enel

personal responsibility above all

maybe we have differing views, i was taught to question everything i put into my body from an early age, every contract i signed, every request made by varying operators

You've been taught to question everything - or maybe even learned the hard way - the athlete in question maybe didn't, was naive and agreed.
I have a hard time to imagine that you research every medication the doctor gives you when you're sick. You trust the "expert" and his decision, so it is his responsibility. Same with a broken car, computer or whatever. You can't know everything.

Nike isn't necessarily at fault in this one - Nike maybe doesn't know what happens in their labs, but I do think that the trainer has a lot of fault, he is responsible for the wellbeing of his athletes.

Why was his lab closed down? If it wasn't shady there would have been no reason for nike to shut it down. But that's another topic.

I'd like to hear what other users think of this topic.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
it takes like 15 minutes on the internet to know if something is good or bad for you, personal responsibility has only gotten easier

girl basically has no excuses, she's responsible for putting food in her mouth and chewing

i would also like to hear others' views, but age shouldn't be much of a factor

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
it takes like 15 minutes on the internet to know if something is good or bad for you, personal responsibility has only gotten easier

girl basically has no excuses, she's responsible for putting food in her mouth and chewing

i would also like to hear others' views, but age shouldn't be much of a factor

eating disorders are real though.

not everyone is as strong willed and confident. It’s the responsibility of good, strong people to help people that need it.

Dismissing the issue like it’s not a big deal is wrong.

Tesseract

Banned
eating disorders are real though.

not everyone is as strong willed and confident. It’s the responsibility of good, strong people to help people that need it.

Dismissing the issue like it’s not a big deal is wrong.

first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one

she's getting help now

every athlete dopes, there are no exceptions

Last edited:

Nester99

Personal Responsibility over all.
Man look at the weak chumps in this thread always looking for someone else to blame.

Weilthain

Banned
So be it

But are you willing to take responsibility for your own actions? Or will you try and blame someone else for your choices?

just before I take my belt off, are we talking about people with eating disorders, weaker people who need help from stronger people etc?

or are you just making a dumb blanket statement that everyone just needs to stop doing stupid stuff and take responsibility?

I may go easy on you if you show empathy.

Last edited:

Nester99

No i am talking about you and your threats of physical violence over the internet.

perhaps you should consider empathy before you resort to threatening strangers.

I am pretty sure Mary Cain had a scholarship offer to U of O (and others) for track (Tracktown, USA if you don't know) and she turned it down to go pro. While it sounds like the shenanigans at the Oregon Project were pretty crappy, she chose this path rather than developing more in school first.

Her treatment sounds terrible and she would have been better off staying in school instead of choosing to go for the big bucks. I can't say I blame her though. High School athletes dream about that pro money.

Weiji

Banned
She clearly has to take responsibility for choosing to push past her own limits. What her trainers ask her to do to be the best is immaterial as long as she is told the risks.

So that’s really the only question to me, was she told the risks?

If she was warned then she’s just a washed out loser who wants to blame others and manipulate one last payday out of Nike. If she was not told the risks then she should shut the fuck up and file a lawsuit.

Top Bottom