• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Kojima left Konami today, starting new studio, [Update: Read OP Translation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Despera

Banned
Umm... this piece of news is about kojima and his team finally becoming free of their shackles and debuting their next game on the PS4.

I expected to enter the thread and see nothing but celebration gifs, instead I'm greeted by this dumb miyamoto vs. kojima discussion.

Any news on the rest of KojiPro? This news will make me truely happy if I know the new studio will pretty much be Kojima Productions 2.

No company in their right mind will give him even half of the power and control he carved for himself at konami. The age of taking 5 years and all the money he wants to make a game is done. I just hope some limitations get some cool creative things out of him in a timely manner

Ratrat

What with all the Miyamoto whining? Such a stupid thing to care about.
No company in their right mind will give him even half of the power and control he carved for himself at konami. The age of taking 5 years and all the money he wants to make a game is done. I just hope some limitations get some cool creative things out of him in a timely manner
And yet where the hell is The Last Guardian?

miyamoto didn't direct wii music, he was the producer

also wii music never advertised itself as something it wasn't and was a finished product

is this the part of the thread where we make up lies to fit our narrative? Kazumi Totaka was the Director of Wii Music.

You know what, nevermind that, that would be derailling the thread. We have different opinions sir but that's not the good place to discuss them :p

jaypah

Can't believe we are having this "my dad can beat up your dad" conversation about 2 of the greatest minds in videogames. I mean, yeah, I can believe it but come on yall.

Sony and Kojima. It is where he belongs. Super happy for him. And he will basically have a blank cheque and years and years to finish projects and do whatever he wants. (See Team Ico/Ueda)

Raylan

Banned
apparently the game of moving goalposts is not garbage tho
Not really, tho.
Miyamoto is considering retirement. The last time he was the lone director of a game was five billion years ago. There is no reason to bash Miyamoto. Especially not here in this thread. Doesn't change the fact that your Phantom Pain post was utter garbage.

I hope whatever he does includes a strong storyline that's mature, political, and filled with good character development. I think that's where he shines best.

I actually like that stuff from him.

Finally!

Hopefully Kojima creates some brand new titles, new stories to write, characters to cook up.

I'm excited!!

Yeah.

If he goes with a familiar setting a Snatcher/Policenauts-like setting would be nice :D

Can't believe we are having this "my dad can beat up your dad" conversation about 2 of the greatest minds in videogames. I mean, yeah, I can believe it but come on yall.

Now that we know Kojima isn't going to be Sony-exclusive, we've run out of things to fight about.

That Kojima was successfully able to pull off something as complex and grand in scope as MGSV for 5 platforms under those working conditions is pretty fucking incredible. It being one of the best playing/feeling games man has ever created pretty much cemented his legacy as a Top 1% game maker for me.
It's more impressive that KojiPro was able to pull it off. People really need to stop attributing the entire contents of a game to the game or creative director. Yeah they are incredibly important in shaping the direction and keeping the team motivated and progressing but it's not like Kojima coded the entire game by himself and also did all of the artwork and testing. If Kojima had a shit team it would've been a shit game.

Dollar Yen

Neo Member
- hopefully, Miyamoto and Ono follow suit and join forces to create the most menacing Japanese game company of all time! ... or join Platinum Games to make more titles to rock our faces! Kojima still attributed to MGSVs success as much as he did from the start of the series. Can't minimize that. The idea was his to create Snake. Without him, you'd be having a Dragon Ball GT effect.

Raylan

Banned
If you think about all the money Ubisoft wasted on a single Assassin's Creed game......

It died and came back to life. It wasn't being worked on for years. As big as a management fuck up that was, there is no way on gods green earth it cost Sony 80 million dollars like kobami spent on mgs5

sora87

Sony should have threw any money he wanted at him to make this full exclusive.

They definitely fit, Sony is known for giving their devs time and space, letting them dive more into more unusual ideas.

Kolx

guy who directed ocarina of time is a worse director than the guy who directed the piece of shit known as the phantom pain

okay.gif

So you're going to take the peak of someone's career and compare it to someone lowest point? seems like a fair comparison. Btw TPP is faaaaaaaaaaaar from being a "piece of shit"

DrXym

That's probably as good a reason as any not to repeat the same mistake with Kojima. Give him a reasonable but not extravagant budget, some achievable but firm deadlines and let him prove himself capable of delivering something.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I hope whatever he does includes a strong storyline that's mature, political, and filled with good character development. I think that's where he shines best.
81SaUPt.gif

prwxv3

Not this again. They don't need to. His game will most likely sell more on ps4 anyway. The only people that want it are fanboys that only care about games that are exclusive .

sora87

why? literally WHO does a full exclusive like that benefit besides people who like list wars?

It'd be a huge get for Sony. And they go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Either way he's going to need a big publisher to match his ambitions. And he'd fair better just concentrating on one platform probably.

Even while at Konami, he always seemed to focus on PS platforms first and foremost. It's almost like he had some personal deep friendships with people there.

yet the majority of his projects are multiplatform. why restrict his games to one platform? he's very clearly going to be careful working with publishers now to avoid being limited ala Konami

It'd be a huge get for Sony. And they go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Either way he's going to need a big publisher to match his ambitions. And he'd fair better just concentrating on one platform probably.

again, why does it matter if it's a huge get for sony? who does Sony getting a huge get benefit?

i would like to see him go to a publisher like take-two to see him get the proper budget AND see releases everywhere it can. his games deserve to be on more than one platform.

If you think about all the money Ubisoft wasted on a single Assassin's Creed game......

What? Wasted? Those game sell. They also basically formed a 3 year production factory utilizing their half dozen asain studios to get them out every year as cheaply as a AAA can be. Marketing costs on the other hand...

Rymuth

It's possible that Konami will let his new team use it for a price....
Yeah...his dignity.

KONAMI: Every day, you will be made to walk around Shinjuku, naked and with a leash around your neck.

Kojima: You realize I could just pay you with cash...I have a big publisher now.

KONAMI: We know but honestly, this. is. so. much. more. fulfilling.

HardRojo

is it me or are sony fans reaaaally insufferable in every thread?

the only salt here is from sony fans who are mad that it's not PS exclusive or that Sony didn't hire him
It's coming both ways, and both sides are being a bit silly. Also, you are not helping to be honest, comparing The Phantom Pain and Ocarina of Time? Yeah, let's compare the most popular game from one guy to one of the least popular ones from the other guy, how is that fair?

why? literally WHO does a full exclusive like that benefit besides people who like list wars?

Well games targeted at one plattform in my experience seems to get a better threatment then multiplat games with only having one spec to get the most out of. For people only having a PS4 this would probably mean a better optimized game and something they want.

I am not saying it is a good thing however since probably many other fans would be dissapointed.

harSon

Banned
Regardless of where his game lands, I'm just glad that the industry won't lose his presence within the AAA space. I hope Sony purchasing the rights for MGS isn't true though. I'd rather see him try his hands on something new.

Well games targeted at one plattform in my experience seems to get a better threatment then multiplat games with only having one spec to get the most out of. For people only having a PS4 this would probably mean a better optimized game and something they want.

I am not saying it is a good thing however since probably many other fans would be dissapointed.

I don't think that's necessarily true anymore. 3rd party games have been every bit as good as 1st party games for a long time now, and there's not many games I can think of that were held back on one platform - in terms of graphics and performance - to accommodate another platform.

It's more impressive that KojiPro was able to pull it off. People really need to stop attributing the entire contents of a game to the game or creative director. Yeah they are incredibly important in shaping the direction and keeping the team motivated and progressing but it's not like Kojima coded the entire game by himself and also did all of the artwork and testing. If Kojima had a shit team it would've been a shit game.

I think that's what people generally mean, though maybe not. Hopefully most of that great KojiPro team and Shinkawa indeed left with him since it says that he took some of his team with him.

mckmas8808

Banned
Yeah...his dignity.

KONAMI: Every day, you will be made to walk around Shinjuku, naked and with a leash around your neck.

Kojima: You realize I could just pay you with cash...I have a big publisher now.

KONAMI: We know but honestly, this. is. so. much. more. fulfilling.

LOL! No way. Konami loves money too much for this.

mejin

They definitely fit, Sony is known for giving their devs time and space, letting them dive more into more unusual ideas.

Dude, they are already won. Why waste money? They should continue to support their firsts like always.

Miyamoto vs Kojima? I could never predict this thread would come to this. What is going on in here? lol

The comparison was made in the OP.
All I said was it's a ridiculous comparison, and not flattering to Kojima. It just seemed like a funny comment overall.

But people are apparently serious that they think Kojima is somehow more famous or influential than Miyamoto so, you know, whatever. No accounting for sanity.

"Final negotiations with SCE are underway for this new game to debut on PlayStation."

Ugggghhhh....wheres the xbox love Kojima? Or better yet, Nintendo love?

Is he obligated to support Xbox and Nintendo too or something? Fact is, the vast majority of his fanbase is on the PS4, so that's the obvious direction to go. We all saw what happened with Rise of the Tomb Raider when the devs ditched the systems their fanbase was on (PS4 and PC).

Anyway, it's good to hear Kojima's finally free. I'm not going to read too much into the Sony negotiations at this point because I'm sure most of the details are very fluid right now, I just hope that whoever ends up funding his game gives him the creative freedom he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom