• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Kojima left Konami today, starting new studio, [Update: Read OP Translation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseph

Banned
Kojima to revive Syphon Filter...
nli25vl.gif

Shion

Worst possible situation for consumers. If it's not PS4/XBONE/PC it's no good.
I disagree.

Unlike 3rd party games, 1st party projects aren't necessarily funded to make money. Not to mention that, compared to most publishers, Sony usually offers lots of creative freedom to their teams.

It would be a great fit for Kojima IMO.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Will his next project be something like ZOE? I hope its more out there and experimental like that that, and less what Konami was forcing him to do perpetually for a while now

He was always gonna be able to make games though, whether as a free agent like Platinum or hired by another studio. So him not making games ever again was never an option.

And how would you be so sure? He has no IPs so he would have to start from scratch, he went way over budget with MGSV which is something 3rd party publishers care way more then 1st party because the bulk of their revenu comes from games. I really don't think a 3rd party will just give Kojima a blank cheque and all the time he needs for his new games which is something a 1st party publisher (at least Sony and Nintendo) would do. And then if he works under such restrictions regarding budget and time he won't be able to make the game he want to make.

Memento

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssss

SCE is the best place he can work honestly. They will throw at him money and give him complete freedom. I hope he makes a new IP. And the Studio must have a cool name too. I am excited!!!

SCE is done banking on huge projects.

Shu has really controlled costs there. We've seen this with recent layoffs, cancelling the new Santa Monica IP and 1st party closures.

Optimistically speaking I think this will probably be more of a partnership a la Shenmue or SFV. I can't see Sony pluck down millions of dollars for a new studio for a developer that, although gifted, struggles in controlling budgets.

Only thing is, I could have swore Yoshida just spoke about being interested in buying new studios, unless I'm mistaken , if so my apologies.

Edit: I was mistaken it was Rhode at Kinda funny Games interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS2butFAy10&ab_channel=KindaFunnyGames

BadWolf

Agreed. I can't think of a reason why Sony would be better than going independent, other than fanboy bragging rights.

Funding.

If Kojima goes full multi-plat then he will have to foot most/all of the bill of development.

Sony is really the best option for him if he were to choose a side since that is where most of his fans are worldwide.

labaronx

Maybe Kojima will be like Platinum games stay independent and develop games for those that ask

And its just sony asked first

Not sure why some are surprised. He was always going to form a new studio and Sony's the most logical fit. Heavy presence in Japan, one of the few big publishers still there and willing to help him back on his feet. He has a great relationship with Yoshida, Cerny, etc and a longstanding, intimate relationship with Playstation.

How so? Because they are both Japanese? Because MGS has a long history on PlayStation?

What makes this such an obvious logical move?

Normally exclusive stuff would bother me, but kojima at sce makes a lot of sense and I feel like they would give him the creative freedom he needs to make something special. Lets just hope they at least keep a budgetary and time restriction on him so we dont have a repeat scenario

SCE is done banking on huge projects.

Shu has really controlled costs there. We've seen this with recent layoffs, cancelling the new Santa Monica IP and 1st party closures.

Optimistically speaking I think this will probably be more of a partnership a la Shenmue or SFV. I can't see Sony pluck down millions of dollars for a new studio for a developer that, although gifted, struggles in controlling budgets.

Oddly enough, we heard from Shuhei himself that WWS no longer working on mid-budget project, only AAA games now so I don't know why you said that

Just curious, is P.T. actually a trademark owned by Konami in any way? Because I was thinking, if Kojima still wanted to make a full game of that type he could surely just use the original name of the teaser for Silent Hills provided they don't own it. It would be a sure fire way to catch some eyes considering the reaction to the teaser when it released.

zulux21

I can't wait to see the PS5 launch game Alloy Doodad Dense.

seriously though it seems like it would be a good fit for him, his products have been attached to sony stuff for a while and sony really is the one that can benefit the most from him continuing to make games. If they fund him as a first party then even if the game costs a lot and doesn't quite make it back it still might move enough units to offset, unlike for konami that they needed the game to sell well or else they would lose money.

Just curious, is P.T. actually a trademark owned by Konami in any way? Because I was thinking, if Kojima still wanted to make a full game of that type he could surely just use the original name of the teaser for Silent Hills provided they don't own it. It would be a sure fire way to catch some eyes considering the reaction to the teaser when it released.

I mean there is always a chance sony could buy up the rights to silent hill anyways just giving konami life time rights to pachinko machines :p

it's not like konami cares about anything else at this point lol.

King_Moc

Banned
He's going for Sony? I'm surprised. He'd be able to have a much bigger scope in his projects if he was going multi platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom