• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Kojima left Konami today, starting new studio, [Update: Read OP Translation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

So I am curious how rich is Kojima ?

Can he sustain an AAA game on his own or something ? Or is it gonna be more about him using his connections and influence to gain trust of investors and such.

Partnering with someone makes way more sense for him than funding it himself, even if he has the money.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Holyshit, Sony actually signed him?

Maybe. "In talks" in the Nikkei usually means they're the leading choice, but it's not a done deal yet.

Like Sega was the leading mention when Atlus was up for bid, but there were a variety of other companies in discussions as well.

Granjinha

Yeah, I don't think we would want another Shinji Mikami. Not that his games were completely horrible under those publishers, but...

Shadows of the Damned wasn't made by Mikami.

You could argue about The Evil Within, but the game is pretty good and also wasn't directed by him :p

Skulldead

Just recruit him, and slap is name on every game that you will produce, even the only sentence he made on meeting is "it's look good" , this is how you're going to sell copies Sony!

I expect Kojima's the one in the best position to decide what's the actual best fit for him, his goals and situation. If that's Sony then I'm not gonna sit here and think up reasons to be pouty about it. I'm just glad he found a good partner and will be making more games.

nib95

Banned
Sony's track record this generation with first-party AAA games has been abysmal at best. Bloodbourne is the outlier. MS has much deeper pockets.

They've barely released anything yet lol. But InFamous, Bloodborne, DriveClub, Until Dawn, Resogun etc have all been solid. A few duds doesn't change that. Hell their biggest hitters are yet to come.

Ryoku

I hope either Sony or Nintendo take him in. Anyone is better than
fuck
Konami. Either way, I hope his games continue to make their way to PC.

EDIT: Since it's only talks at this point, it's worth noting that it could just be talks of a new exclusive game rather than acquisition/hiring.

Isn't Sony pretty keen on keeping IPs for themselves too? I thought that was the reason behind Sunset Overdrive not coming to PS4 IIRC. Though granted they seem to grant more freedom to their bigger studios like allowing ND to make TLOU or GG to make Horizon.

Will Sony let him keep the IP?

Depends of what the deal is, I was going with his studio being a part of WWS, he would have a say as to who and what is happening with his IP (like Naughty Dog and Polyphony Digital) and would be able to switch to something else if he wants.

Forming his own studio, making games on PC, and working with SCE aren't all mutually exclusive ideas. The fact is, unless he runs to try & get a game on Kickstarter, theres very little chance Kojima would ever find the funding to get a studio off the ground. And considering how much Kojima has spent on developing MGS5, I doubt downscaling to the very limited potential budget a crowdfunded project may get him is a little too much to ask for.

However, forming a studio that happens to pick up a Sony project, a similar situation to say From Software with Bloodborne/Demon's Souls, or Capcom & Street Fighter V, is a totally strong move for Hideo & a potential new-studio at the moment.

I dont see Kojima joining anyone as much as he will start a independent studio with backing from a publisher or platform holder.

Basically a Respawn or Platinum Games situation.

And while I am sure he is in talks with Sony since there is a bunch of history already there I also wouldnt be shocked if he isnt in talks with a few other companies. For example Nintendo who is probably in a money tossing mood and looking for rabbits to pull out of its hat heading into NX.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I made a slight title adjustment. Today was the official end of his employment at Konami, so now he's available to openly negotiate.

John Wick

While i agree that a SCE-funded Kojima game would stay on PS4, Sony recently has allowed first party releases on PC (Helldivers and soon Everybody's gone to the rapture)

You do know that there are like

a ton of third party publishers out there that could fund a Kojima game

like, i don't know, WB, EA, Zenimax...

Are any of them Japanese? Or based in Japan? You'll quickly find most of the publishers you mentioned have deadlines to meet. No way will he have the same creative freedom and Money Sony will bankroll him with

MS am cry I really thought that MS would make it rain money and just buy into that koji reputation.

Did not think that SCE had the money to form a new studio and fund a koji level game aka 80 million + setting up the studio itself lets say 10 million.

joseph

Banned
A remaster of what? All of his IPs are locked up with Konami and I would assume he would be wanting to make a new IP regardless of where he ends up.
the remaster would help getting the studio up and running without all the pressure a new ip brings

after that..

start new privately-held ip

Vinc

Sony is an absolute monster this gen. Ever since TLOU released, there's always a reason to be excited about what they're doing. Completely unrecognizable from the early PS3 era.

Arttemis

Here's to hoping Kojima and Kojima Production staff can recreate a PS4-specific FOX engine! Let him create whatever he wants, and let all first/second party devs have access to the improved version of that godly engine.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
wow@ people not knowing about Nikkei.

oh and I expected something like this...Konami are actual demons

Molemitts

Even as someone who owns a PS4. I'd prefer him to not be tied to any first party studio.

I hope he can work on whatever he wants to now, anyway.

MDSLKTR

Please Sony, bring back Kutaragi one final time on e3 2016 stage to drop the ether bomb. You will give him the funding, the appropriate hardware, the vr toys, the freedom on par with what Ueda has, his loyal audience, a voice for the next generation hardware decisions etc. Just. Do. IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom