• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Kojima left Konami today, starting new studio, [Update: Read OP Translation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeviantBoi

Sony makes the most sense. There's already a relationship and mutual respect there.

Anywhere else and he might be right back at a Konami situation, shackled to a series.

entremet

Which source? The interview with Shuhei talking about what I said? Sure, I will look up

What I mean is that Sony has been closing studios and reducing the number of employees in currently owned studios in the last 3 years.

That's all public knowledge.

Do Kojima games sell well enough without the MGS IP? That's a huge if in terms of outright buying a new studio.

A more conservative approach would be a partnership, which is what they've been focused on this generation for big console exclusives (FFVIIr, SFV, Shenmue 3)

It also mitigates risk.

WN0aw3b.gif

This is great news :)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
idk if this polygon editor knows something more than we do or he's just going with the Nikkei news.

2015-12-1518_55_23-mib6s1l.png

I've been waiting to see news like this. Glad Kojima is free now and can't wait to see what he does next. A studio with Sony sounds like a match made in heaven.

iMax

I dont see Kojima joining anyone as much as he will start a independent studio with backing from a publisher or platform holder.

Basically a Respawn or Platinum Games situation.

And while I am sure he is in talks with Sony since there is a bunch of history already there I also wouldnt be shocked if he isnt in talks with a few other companies. For example Nintendo who is probably in a money tossing mood and looking for rabbits to pull out of its hat heading into NX.
This. I don't really see the benefit for him going down this route. The talks are probably for exclusivity rights, not ownership outright, akin to Sunset Overdrive.

Defuser

Only Sony can give him the creative freedom, time and budget unlike other publishers who will interfere,demands and rush out the product.

Sethista

Sony also has sony pictures at their disposal to revive any possibility guillermo del toro or any other hollywood pdirector/producer to collaborate on a game with kojima.

This is another massive win for sony if it happens, and in the long run people will see that kojima needed to get out of MGS to give us the next franchises that i am sure will be kick ass.

Sony's track record this generation with first-party AAA games has been abysmal at best. Bloodbourne is the outlier. MS has much deeper pockets.

What are you even talking about .
You think KZ SF , DC , Infamous , The order are not big AAA games.
How about the upcoming UC , GT sport , Horizon ,GOW4 Sony spends money on AAA games.

Will they let him keep the IP? Will he be able to switch to a whole other game just after the first one? Sure they could fund it be it would come with a lot of restrictions.
If he was a Sony employee why would he keep the IP? No company will allow an employee who created something on company time to keep an IP. A third party dev is a completely different situation.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Considering I'm more excited about the prospects of future MGS titles, if there are any, given Kojima's absence, this news doesn't really excite me. But good for him if he can get something going again.

vpance

Oddly enough, we heard from Shuhei himself that WWS no longer working on mid-budget project, only AAA games now so I don't know why you said that

Mid budget is so useless in returns. People want to play huge sprawling games and their multitude of sequels these days.

Shibalan

Here's some info for you; great games resonate with gamers no matter what platform they are on. Kojima makes great games. The more platforms he can get his games on the more fans he will have.
Here's some info for you : 72% of customers bought MGSV on Ps4 in UK. 22% on Xbox One

Did I say that xbox owners can't appreciate a Kojima game ? No. But someone who grew up with Xbox didn't grew up with MGS1/2/3 or ZOE when they launched. Kojima fame began on Playstation, so yeah, Kojima is clearly part of the "playstation culture" in a way.

I made a slight title adjustment. Today was the official end of his employment at Konami, so now he's available to openly negotiate.

Can I ask something? Isn't in Japan that they don't allow you to work in the same industry for few years after you quit your company to prevent you joining competitor company? How can he talks with SCE?

Arkanius

Yes just what we needed, Kojima to go make only console games.
And GAF praises this.

After such a wonderful PC port that was MGS V.

So I am curious how rich is Kojima ?

Can he sustain an AAA game on his own or something ? Or is it gonna be more about him using his connections and influence to gain trust of investors and such.

i don't know how much money he has but it's very very doubtful he could sustain AAA dev. on his own.

::

let's see how his next publisher will get along with Kojima. just a feeling but i can imagine he isn't exactly a great guy to work with.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Agreed. I can't think of a reason why Sony would be better than going independent, other than fanboy bragging rights.

1. Sony is a Japanese company.
2. Sony has the cash to fund a long expensive project. See Team Ico or PD.

Here's to hoping Kojima and Kojima Production staff can recreate a PS4-specific FOX engine! Let him create whatever he wants, and let all first/second party devs have access to the improved version of that godly engine.

Considering how 'eager' Kojima seems to get this rolling (he's already forming a studio & talking contracts literally as his contract expires), i'd say they are gonna look to prototype as fast as possible. And with that, I imagine UE4 will likely be the prime candidate for any project they develop. It's agile, highly iterative, and with tons of current documentation that Kojima & his potential team could use to get whatever they want off the ground & quickly. No need to spend a ton of money creating a proprietary engine anymore; thats exactly how MGS5's budget ballooned to such an astronomical figure.

Krakn3Dfx

E3 megaton cometh.

Kojima comes out with a Crash mask on, spins around a few times, teaser trailer pops up with a drunkenly stumbling Bandicoot character working his way down a hallway while hiding from men in voodoo masks.

Fade to black.

Title Screen - Crash: A Kojima Production

Akronis

Yes just what we needed, Kojima to go make only console games.
And GAF praises this.

After such a wonderful PC port that was MGS V.

Literally 100% my thought as well.

Awesome. Great. Amazing. Incredible.

Not happy if this is true.

And before anyone says "would you rather not have him make games at all?", Kojima would've gotten hired fucking anywhere.

Bsigg12

I dont see Kojima joining anyone as much as he will start a independent studio with backing from a publisher or platform holder.

Basically a Respawn or Platinum Games situation.

And while I am sure he is in talks with Sony since there is a bunch of history already there I also wouldnt be shocked if he isnt in talks with a few other companies. For example Nintendo who is probably in a money tossing mood and looking for rabbits to pull out of its hat heading into NX.

This is pretty much what I was expecting. Be a third party dev like Platinum or Respawn that has the ability to make their own IPs and shop them to publishers.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hilarious that so many people didn't believe the "rumour" from way back when which even outlined the December contract conclusion. Learn to scuttlebutt, scrubs.

Sony just slam-dunking this generation if true as well. Basket catching fire shit.

zsynqx

What I mean is that Sony has been closing studios and reducing the number of employees in currently owned studios in the last 3 years.

That's all public knowledge.

Do Kojima games sell well enough without the MGS IP? That's a huge if in terms of outright buying a new studio.

A more conservative approach would be a partnership, which is what they've been focused on this generation for big console exclusives (FFVIIr, SFV, Shenmue 3)

It also mitigates risk.

Not true.

Naughty Dog over 300 (was at around 200 after TLOU shipped)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom