• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Kojima left Konami today, starting new studio, [Update: Read OP Translation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi

If he's locked down to Sony forever it's literally the dumbest move he could make. Why would you leave out PC/Xbox fans (especially PC)?

"Literally the dumbest move" is quite a hyperbole.

Sometimes people just think other stuff than pure profit. Maybe he thinks Sony is a good company to work with, already having a relationship with people there?

I'm waiting for a more reliable source like Polygon or Kotaku. An extremely established and respected worldwide financial newspaper built upon the back of journalistic ethics and rigorous fact-checking? Nah.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Im sure hes in talks with everyone. MS spent $3 billion Minecraft. Surely they can pony up a 100 million on a new Japanese studio.

SCE is the most logical choice with Capcom and Square Enix struggling financially. I just dont think it matters at all seeing as how we wont get a game from his team for at least 5 years. They will have to start from scratch and even if Sony has an engine ready for them, it will take them years to get a project going.

2020 also means it will be a last gen game ported to next gen consoles just like MGSV. Kojima just cant catch a break.

I'm not sure you know what actually defines AAA. None of these titles had anywhere near the budgets of a Call of Duty or Uncharted.

Tearaway was made by about 5 people. That's 100% not AAA no matter where you want to move the goal posts. Until Dawn isn't AAA either.

Tearaway is an handheld game, of course it's not a console AAA game and as I said Puppeteer was made before they stopped making AA games. And what are the budget of those 3 games? Let's not forget that Uncharted 2 had a $20 millions budget and a game similar to Until Dawn in term of scope Beyond two souls, had a budget of $27 millions. And COD has a way bigger budget then Uncharted too like twice has much.

What I mean is that Sony has been closing studios and reducing the number of employees in currently owned studios in the last 3 years.

That's all public knowledge.

If it's public knowledge can you share some sources confirming the closure of studios please?

They've let people go from SSM (cancelled project), Sucker Punch (no idea why - typical turnover of staff after a game is complete) and Driveclub (because it obviously sold below expectations, initially at least), but they've also been increasing the headcount at some studios (including Naughty Dog and Santa Monica recently) and have opened up a new studio in the UK (North West Studio).

Console exclusivity would be terrible for a game that someone the calibre of Kojima is likely to create. I don't see why so many are viewing that as a positive when the only beneficiary is a company, not the people who love video games.

I would agree if it was someone else but Kojima's fanbase is mosly PlayStation fans so i don't think that will change things much.

jaypah

Wow, the salt is already strong and it is not even confirmed

Well, yeah. Why would people be cheering for this if he's locked to a platform that they don't own? I'm sure people who mainly game on PS4 are super stoked. Personally I'd prefer if everyone got to play his next game but if the only way to make the game that he wants to make is to get in bed with Sony then that's ok in my book. Also I own a PS4 so it's whatever.

Nafai1123

Banned
I would love for him to just be able to do whatever he wants.

Want to make a PSVR game? Go for it.

Want to try to resurrect P.T. in some form? Go for it.

Want to revive an old IP? Go for it.

I think Sony would give him that freedom.

entremet

Yes but those come with strings attached. He has historically blown out budgets and taken an incredibly long time to develop games. The likelihood that either publisher will give him full creative freedom and a new studio with this setup is really unlikely.

I think people are just getting too excited and not looking at the reality of the situation. He isn't good at running a development team. He struggles to hit budgets/timelines and feature creep is very prevalent. Besides Konami sucking, there are reasons they have had strained relations for years.

If he is given a new studio by one of the publishers they will have him on a really, really tight leash. Your best hope should be that he joins and takes some sort of creative adviser role.

His only chance of actually running his own studio with minimal interference is as an independent, but getting funding would be difficult because of the reasons I laid out.

Exactly.

Damn the salt is starting to get out of control. The thread on /v/ is full of it as well. Sadly I know his next game will be ready in like 4-5 years... meh I hope it ended up being PS4 swan song and not just another cross generation game like MGS V.

Let's hope they keep this gen alive that long without launching a new console so it can happen.

Eggbok

Want to make a PSVR game? Go for it?

Want to try to resurrect P.T. in some form? Go for it?

2sbO7yt.png

pls.
but also wants him to make whatever he wants!

SarusGray

Want to make a PSVR game? Go for it?

Want to try to resurrect P.T. in some form? Go for it?

Sony apparently is quoted as saying they never retire an IP. mhmmhmh

Mael

I love all the people saying that this shutting out PC and xbox player is a travesty or something.
Like if he went independent or with some studio like EA they would allow Kojima to spend millions for a new engine that would result in anything close to what his team made at Konami.

post-S

Yes but those come with strings attached. He has historically blown out budgets and taken an incredibly long time to develop games. The likelihood that either publisher will give him full creative freedom and a new studio with this setup is really unlikely.

I think people are just getting too excited and not looking at the reality of the situation. He isn't good at running a development team. He struggles to hit budgets/timelines and feature creep is very prevalent. Besides Konami sucking, there are reasons they have had strained relations for years.

If he is given a new studio by one of the publishers they will have him on a really, really tight leash. Your best hope should be that he joins and takes some sort of creative adviser role.

His only chance of actually running his own studio with minimal interference is as an independent, but getting funding would be difficult because of the reasons I laid out.
Sounds like a Soony game

Xater

Also people talking about respawn are cray. Did you guys forget the game was a total bomb and almost got cancelled until a platform holder stepped in? Yeah what a model to follow.

Yup, if Kojima wants to continue making the games he has done in the past a console holder was always a safe bet. Or them it's not just about the game maki g a return but also to make their console ore attractive.

teiresias

Kojima to announce new PS4 exclusive game titled "Quiet Slopes" starring Norman Reedus.

Or maybe he'll reboot Crash into a gritty stealth game!!!

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I think you'll hear something about this much, much, much sooner than E3.

Yeah, these types of announcements happen at any time much like the Gears IP being bought by MS was announced so early. If it happens I think I'll be in on a random day in the beginning of the new year.

Well, yeah. Why would people be cheering for this if he's locked to a platform that they don't own? I'm sure people who mainly game on PS4 are super stoked. Personally I'd prefer if everyone got to play his next game but if the only way to make the game that he wants to make is to get in bed with Sony then that's ok in my book. Also I own a PS4 so it's whatever.
To be fair it's not like Kojima is known for multiplat games.

charsace

Here's some info for you : 72% of customers bought MGSV on Ps4 in UK. 22% on Xbox One

Did I say that xbox owners can't appreciate a Kojima game ? No. But someone who grew up with Xbox didn't grew up with MGS1/2/3 or ZOE when they launched. Kojima fame began on Playstation, so yeah, Kojima is clearly part of the "playstation culture" in a way.
I bought MGS5 on PC. The first place I played a MG game is on an MSX emulator. I want Kojima's next game to be on PC so that I don't have to worry about console remasters.

Hopefully he can work on something cool like Knack or Killzone, Sony has so many amazing IP's that my imagination is running wild! fapfapfapfap

daveo42

Banned
That was actually faster than I thought it'd be. Already in talks with SCE is kind of crazy, but it make some sense. He'd worked with Sony for a long time and I'm not sure other publishers would give him as much freedom as he might get at Sony. And I'm sure Sony is dying to get him on board.

Good for him! I wouldn't really classify myself as a fan of his games, but I think it's great that he is out of Konami's clutches.

VinFTW

I hope no one ever EVER takes career advice from you.
Wow, personal jabs. Kudos!

It's not a hard concept and people are saying it much better than I am in this thread. The guys set for life, he's a legend. He doesn't need to lock down to one platform forever because "money". He will have money no matter where he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom