• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo ceasing Wii U production at the end of the year

I'm glad they are moving on, one of the worst things to happen to Nintendo.

From the beginning I thought it was an expansion of the Wii, or just a controller for the Wii.

Then the third party support, and unsavory games from my point of view..

Please Nintendo, do the right thing this time. New Zelda, Splatoon 2, new Mario and third party support with a normal control and less gimmicks(which I doubt).

Neonep

If you don't already have a Wii U you might as well buy one and keep it in storage. It could be worth something in some years. Especially since they are stopping production so soon.

Sephzilla

I don't get why people think that, now that Wii U's production is stopping, Zelda can't still come on Wii U (alongside the NX version, of course)...seriously?

I think it'll be on both the WiiU and NX a la how Twilight Princess was on the GameCube and Wii. But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was NX only.

Such an overreaction by some. When a product is selling in numbers not originally planned for, the factory will not be running efficiently, having to produce a quantity far too small. So Nintendo will probably produce more than the monthly sales volume and keep a few in stock to last through the next couple of years.

Pinky

Banned
So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

All things considered, yes, I am happy. Certainly could've been a lot better, but I got some great fun out of it and continue to do so.

Anteo

RIP Wii U. Compared to the 3ds, I played less games, but I have more favorites.
I still have some extra games I want to pick up as StarFox and ZeldaU in the future, and I hope Splatoon and Mario Maker online wont die any time soon

So those that bought a Wii U, are you happy with what you got? Are you happy with the 4 year production cycle of the console?

Yes. Here's what I've played on it.

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Wii U/Luigi Wii U
Smash Brothers
Super Mario Maker
Nintendo Land
Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2
Pikmin 3
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
NES Remix/2
The Wonderful 101
ZombiU
Lego Jurassic Park
Little Inferno

There are a couple more but, that is a good list of really good games. I also am going to play Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fast Racing NEO before the end of the year.

Neoxon

I don't believe it will. That's just my guess though. Production is ended. There aren't that many WiiUs out there, and if they want to make a new Zelda game to make a splash, I'm not sure why they would hold it back with hardware that is a little better than systems that came out 10 years ago.

If I was Nintendo, I would have already moved over every major project outside of remakes etc to development for their new system. The WiiU has been a lost cause.
Nintendo literally reconfirmed last November that the next Zelda game is Wii U-bound. At most, it'll be a cross-gen release. Hell, Trev's source even confirmed a cross-gen release.

I don't believe it will. That's just my guess though. Production is ended. There aren't that many WiiUs out there, and if they want to make a new Zelda game to make a splash, I'm not sure why they would hold it back with hardware that is a little better than systems that came out 10 years ago.

If I was Nintendo, I would have already moved over every major project outside of remakes etc to development for their new system. The WiiU has been a lost cause.

It absolutely will. That's a lot of money to throw down the drain when all it takes is a dual release. They've done it before successfully.

georly

Wii mini was a new model of a successful console though.

Yeah, it's less likely for that to happen this time around, but you still have grandparents and people behind the times who just wanna play mario kart or wii sports or something. Especially if NX is priced like a brand new console, a ~$150 Wii U mini is more appealing if all you wanna do is play 'mario' stuff.

Again, unlikely, but still a possibility. That said, both SNES and NES also had 'mini' console revisions, as well. The verbiage of 'discontinuing nx' doesn't make it sound like that's likely, though.

Earendil

Not really, but that is more of a reflection of the fact that I have not had the time to actually play games this entire generation than it is on the system itself. I got really tired of buying a game, playing it once or twice and then not touching it for months because I've been too busy. Now I just don't buy games at all.

Whaaaat?
With Big N releasing a few games this year I didn't expect it to be discontinued so quickly.
Oh well, time to buy up all those great games before they become expensive as fuck.
Also, I really hope the NX releases late this year and not early next year so Nintendo can have a successful holiday season.

KingJ2002

Yea... no fucking way the NX slips into 2017 with the Wii U ceasing production this year. They'll need to move as many as possible to break even on the rest of their inventory (price cuts) then look to mobile and the NX to rejuvenate sales.

so my bet:

e3 announcement followed up with a fall worldwide release.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I bought it for my seven year old to play Mario Kart. While the cables, charging, resistive touch, BIZARRE interaction with Wii peripherals and many, many, many other foibles drive me bananas, she likes it so I'm happy.

SerTapTap

I imagine NX is going to play Wii U games if they are doing this.

I doubt it, considering the complexity and cost of the Wii U were huge parts of it's downfall. I expect a few ports, like Zelda, splatoon, maybe smash. Hoping it just goes X86.

It launched on November 18, 2012.

Presumably it's ending around that time, 2016.

So four years.

Honestly it's not even absurdly short. Just feels that way due to last gen taking ages.

Trago

Excellent exclusives on a not so great console. Considering how bad things got, I couldn't ask for this thing to get killed off sooner!

We need to move on, and if this article is any indication, so are Nintendo.

Honestly I am content. I feel the library was stronger overall than the Wii and I had better game experiences. I would say GC > Wii U > Wii and DS > 3DS = GBA

RIP Wii U. Compared to the 3ds, I played less games, but I have more favorites.

This is me as well. I've played my 3DS far more than my Wii U, but my favorite Nintendo games this cycle were on the home console.

Overall though, this has been an extremely disappointing generation for me, Nintendo-wise. Thank god for the PS4, which I am in love with. Here's hoping the NX is a better system with more software I care about.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Good. The faster we get past this mistake the better.

That said, the NX, if that controller was real, has me even less interested than the WiiU did.

MK_768

I think you are forgetting what happened to Zelda: TP. It doesn't hurt Nintendo to put the new Zelda on BOTH Wii U and NX.

Champion

see-you-space-cowboy.jpg

Makes sense. They made the grand majority of the units the first year not counting those lost in the factory fire. The NX is coming soon and the lack of Wii U's is probably a good thing

Can't ignore the quality of the games we got (and are still getting). Some of the best Platinum, Retro, Monolith Soft, and Nintendo games on this platform.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Very intriguing news, though I wasn't expecting something like this before March 31. Maybe we can expect further comment from Nintendo soon?

I expect this news to change stock a bit.

jonno394

Yeah, it's less likely for that to happen this time around, but you still have grandparents and people behind the times who just wanna play mario kart or wii sports or something. Especially if NX is priced like a brand new console, a ~$150 Wii U mini is more appealing if all you wanna do is play 'mario' stuff.

Again, unlikely, but still a possibility.

I doubt it's worth it in all honesty :/ the cost to manufacture, market and supply the new mini could just go towards attempting to successfully market a new console

Top Bottom